Noisy Mosque In My Area

hansum

Im staying opposite close to Siam and have been here 2 weeks, anyway their is a mosque on the Ratchetewi side of the canal that blasts out prayers every morning extremely loudly at 5am ish then at around 11am-12, then at about 5pm everyday without fail, and possibly in between these times, this mornings it went on for 45 minutes.

Is this a permanent thing or am i just unlucky enough for there to be some religious goings on at the moment, i know Ramadam isn't until next week.

i amazed they get away with this intolerance and arrogance to think they can wake people up so early in this area.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

It is permanent and the area near klong saen saeb is a muslim quarter. Live with it, as a billion people worldwide do.

I work on an oil rig with barely any sleep, so wish to sleep when back, so no i wont live with it.

Just shows how disrespectful this mosque is towards those non believers in the vicinity.

It is permanent and the area near klong saen saeb is a muslim quarter. Live with it, as a billion people worldwide do.

I work on an oil rig with barely any sleep, so wish to sleep when back, so no i wont live with it.

Just shows how disrespectful this mosque is towards those non believers in the vicinity.

Just move out its the best thing you can do. If it isnt a mosk its something else you will always have to check your surrounding before moving to a place. This is Thailand.

No different to the Phu Yai Baan 5.30 am speaker announcements up here in the village.

I would rather that they were not here though.

A number of the locals complained here against that sound and it stopped. Also the Phu Yai Baan thought it was a good idea to rent out the speakers for advertisement. Needless to say it stopped soon too because the locals did not like it and even i contemplated cutting some cables.

No different to the Phu Yai Baan 5.30 am speaker announcements up here in the village.

I totally forgot about that one. At my current place I don't hear it, as opposed to my old place. Somehow I seem to have suppressed that memory, I wonder why....

If you are close to Jim Thompsons House, it goes on every day without fail.

I live there some of the time but do not face the klong, so I can't hear it. It's a big Muslim community with a long history:

Ban Krua

Unfortunately in the age of the loud speaker its somewhat difficult to escape the noise, so if you are renting or buying a room there, don't get one facing the klong. Otherwise it is a very nice area.

If they cry out in English, at least you not be so bitter.

I had one two houses away when I was a little boy, and we had to a catholic mass every 0630 most mornings before school, so we just used the noise as our wake up alarm.

That was when Osama was still on the straight and narrow, and everyone was very friendly with everything.

It starts just after 6 up in my village but I am usually up anyway.

The food carts start coming along before that and there is one car whose music my dogs love to howl along with.

It is usually all over by 7 until the afternoon food cars come along.

I have been here 7 years on and off and a lot of the time I just tune it out.

Edited by billd766

You been here 2 weeks and you've already got an axe to grind.Goodluck with your stay in Thailand.

You mean you think being woken up at 5am is tickity boo?

Are you one of those people who have been here longer then everyone? a real life Thai expert you must surely be! ... but no ive been here a little longer then this if it makes my credentials for disliking being woken up so early by nuisance noises any better.

There's no need for the noisy mosque loudspeakers. Perhaps they could take note of what has happened in other Muslem countries and follow suit.

Even Saudi Arabia had enough last year and ordered a crackdown on overly loud speakers. Since then there's been a noticeable reduction in prayer call noise levels.

http://www.alarabiya.net/articles/2009/04/25/71421.html

There's no need for the noisy mosque loudspeakers. Perhaps they could take note of what has happened in other Muslem countries and follow suit.

Even Saudi Arabia had enough last year and ordered a crackdown on overly loud speakers. Since then there's been a noticeable reduction in prayer call noise levels.

http://www.alarabiya...4/25/71421.html

I was recently working in Saudi and ironically never got woken up by such noises.

ii drowns out barking dogs, shouting neighbors, traffic sounds,

--- noise dznt bother Thais, they could sleep thru a war

ii drowns out barking dogs, shouting neighbors, traffic sounds,

--- noise dznt bother Thais, they could sleep thru a war

It bothers the 1 im living with so on my straw poll it bothers 100% of Thais, but traffic noises are necessary this isnt.

But my questions been answered that it will go on forever so i will move.

With all the noise we now know it isnt the "Religion of Peace"

This is a wonderful and storied area of Bangkok. It is beautiful that these prayers take place and that this beautiful Muslim culture and tradition can continue to flourish both in Thailand and abroad. Are there any good restaurants in this area? You really lucked out OP. Take some photos and let us know if you make any friends.

well, they were there first.

Used to live near there myself, albeit 23 floors up. Do miss the chanting from the mosque. Quite relaxing so long as I'm not right under the loud speaker.

Meanwhile, down at the mosque:

Ali: There's a miserable farang in our area. He doesn't like the call to prayers.

Mohammad: Huh? Why the hel_l did he come and live in our area?

Ali: I guess he thinks it his area.

Mohammmad: :lol::lol::lol:

I live there some of the time but do not face the klong, so I can't hear it. It's a big Muslim community with a long history:

Ban Krua

Great link

great area. Would like to buy a klong side property. That place will gentrify, one day....

Ban Krua

Great link

great area. Would like to buy a klong side property. That place will gentrify, one day....

I doubt that will ever be possible Samran.

A feature of the Muslim community - at least in Thailand - is that they almost never sell their Land assets (unless - occasionally - to other Muslims, and even then only when absolutely unavoidable).

I live in a significantly Muslim area in the Pattanakarn / On Nuch area of Bangkok - been here for over 35 years now - and there remain large areas of undeveloped land here simply because of this attitude.

As an aside, when we first moved to this village I too was a little upset at the noise of the "adhan" the Muslim Call to Prayer (not, as the OP refers to it, as "prayers"), particularly at "sparrows fart" i.e. before sunrise! Now however I just don't register it at all.

The only thing that really got me upset was when their bl00dy cattle would walk down the Soi and stop to munch on my garden bushes and trees!

Patrick

Edited by p_brownstone