Pick up the Bangkok Post today. There is an article about cheap tyres in the Motoring section - it describes an area in BKK that is apparently the cheapest place to get them.

I don't remember the details but the article is easy to find in the paper.

Of course, if it's cheap you're after, you could save B20 and read it online :o The article is here.

I have to buy a new set of tyres for the pick-up, and sadly they are the big ones.

So where can I buy tyres cheap in Bangkok.

Matt, I would not recommend buying cheap tyres.

A lot of cheap tyres here in Thailand have been dumped here by other Asian manufacturers and are of inferior quality... out of roundness, old and hardened rubber... many simply outside specifications and cannot be sold in their country of origin. :o

A mate of mine recently bought some cheapies for his Toyota D4D pickup here in Pattaya, and one night whilst driving home from work, with no load in the back, he had a blowout. He was lucky as he was only driving at about 60km/h and although he careered into another vehicle parked on the side of the road, there was minimal damage and he was not injured.

Go to a good reputable shop like Bridgestone, who have a constant turnover of good quality stock and have the equipment and the trained personnel to fit your vehicle with appropriate tyres... remember, they are your lifeline between the vehicle and the road (at all speeds).

How would you feel if your missus was out driving the pickup shopping and a new but cheap tyre blew out causing an accident and she was seriously injured... or worse?

Think with your head... not your wallet.

Just my 2 satang.

:D

I have to buy a new set of tyres for the pick-up, and sadly they are the big ones.

So where can I buy tyres cheap in Bangkok.

Matt, I would not recommend buying cheap tyres.

A lot of cheap tyres here in Thailand have been dumped here by other Asian manufacturers and are of inferior quality... out of roundness, old and hardened rubber... many simply outside specifications and cannot be sold in their country of origin. :o

A mate of mine recently bought some cheapies for his Toyota D4D pickup here in Pattaya, and one night whilst driving home from work, with no load in the back, he had a blowout. He was lucky as he was only driving at about 60km/h and although he careered into another vehicle parked on the side of the road, there was minimal damage and he was not injured.

Go to a good reputable shop like Bridgestone, who have a constant turnover of good quality stock and have the equipment and the trained personnel to fit your vehicle with appropriate tyres... remember, they are your lifeline between the vehicle and the road (at all speeds).

How would you feel if your missus was out driving the pickup shopping and a new but cheap tyre blew out causing an accident and she was seriously injured... or worse?

Think with your head... not your wallet.

Just my 2 satang.

:D

I could not agree more Jai Dee.

Last year i bought 2 cheap new tyres for the front wheels at an up country tyre shop and only got 27,000 kms out of them.

Apart from the safety issue you are not saving money in the long run.

I am a self confessed cheap charlie but I do not buy cheap tyres

It just isn't worth it. Always check the codes on tyres to make sure you are getting genuine articles.

There are some really lethal tyres sold , never mind the remoulds I have seen a local shop re-cutting tyres here.

• 2 months later...

I forgot that my mother in law owns a garage, and I went to ask them if they could recommend cheap tyres. As luck had it, the MIL has an aquaintance with a Michelin tyre shop. I went round with the father in law and was told that I could buy a set of 4 and pay for 1 a month if I wanted.

I saw a sale tyre for 1,100 baht - Michelin 75 mm, 10 mm marrower than my old ones. Reduced from 1390 baht each.

I got my front tyres changed. 2,200 baht!

Less width more milage to a gallon I guess, less friction.

The most expensive tyres were Michelin off road tyres for 5,000 baht each!

Cheap tyres guaranteed for 4 years! They wouldn't dare sell me fakes or remoulds or whatever due to the 'family'.

Edited by Neeranam

I forgot that my mother in law owns a garage, and I went to ask them if they could recommend cheap tyres. As luck had it, the MIL has an aquaintance with a Michelin tyre shop. I went round  with the father in law and was told that I could buy a set of 4 and pay for 1 a month if I wanted.

I saw a sale tyre for 1,100 baht - Michelin 75 mm, 10 mm marrower than my old ones. Reduced from 1390 baht each.

The most expensive tyres were Michelin off road tyres  for 5,000 baht each!

Cheap tyres guaranteed for 4 years! They wouldn't dare sell me fakes or remoulds or whatever due to the 'family'.

Well done a bargain you not, have less tread on the ground of course that means less braking efficiency, less handling ability (doubled in wet weather) so now reduce your speed and Tare by 40% (10% for each narrower tyre) - If you think I jest toggle - google and read up Tyres - Braking/heat dissapation etc etc A bargain you have whilst motoring by yourself (reduced Tare self imposed by tyre selection) think how much better the trip would be if accompanied by the family).

Edited by mijan24

I have a Ford Ranger 4 door 4x4 pickup nearly 4 years old with 112,xxx km on the clock. I am still using the original tyres except for the offside front which was replaced due to a steering fault (fixed under warranty). They are Michelin LTX A/T 235/75 x 15 and they have about another 10,000 km left before I want to replace them

Last time I was in BKK I priced them out at 4,000 baht each and I am not sure whether to replace them now or later.

I always believe that no matter how big or small, cheap or expensive your vehicle is, your life really depends on 4 bits of rubber that are the only things that keep you on the road.

So how much is the life of you and your family worth?

I have a Ford Ranger 4 door 4x4 pickup nearly 4 years old with 112,xxx km on the clock. I am still using the original tyres except for the offside front which was replaced due to a steering fault (fixed under warranty). They are Michelin LTX A/T 235/75 x 15 and they have about another 10,000 km left before I want to replace them

Last time I was in BKK I priced them out at 4,000 baht each and I am not sure whether to replace them now or later.

I always believe that no matter how big or small, cheap or expensive your vehicle is, your life really depends on 4 bits of rubber that are the only things that keep you on the road.

So how much is the life of you and your family worth?

I know that I can get another car or whatever as that is only money, but replace my wife and son, there is not enough money in the world to replace them.

QUOTE(Neeranam @ 2005-10-06 08:22:24)

I forgot that my mother in law owns a garage, and I went to ask them if they could recommend cheap tyres. As luck had it, the MIL has an aquaintance with a Michelin tyre shop. I went round  with the father in law and was told that I could buy a set of 4 and pay for 1 a month if I wanted.

Well done a bargain you not, have less tread on the ground of course that means less braking efficiency, less handling ability (doubled in wet weather) so now reduce your speed and Tare by 40% (10% for each narrower tyre) - If you think I jest toggle - google and read up Tyres - Braking/heat dissapation etc etc A bargain you have whilst motoring by yourself (reduced Tare self imposed by tyre selection) think how much better the trip would be if accompanied by the family).

I realise that braking will not be as good but the handling seems better now.

Not sure what you mean by 'Tare'. I went with my father-in-law, who is a senior safety engineer with a large oil company. He said they are fine, so that is fine by me. he would never suggest something that put his family at risk. He did say not to drive so fast though.

What is Tare?

QUOTE(Neeranam @ 2005-10-06 08:22:24)

I realise that braking will not be as good but the handling seems better now.

Not sure what you mean by 'Tare'. I went with my father-in-law, who is a senior safety engineer with a large oil company. He said they are fine, so that is fine by me. he would never suggest something that put his family at risk. He did say not to drive so fast though.

What is Tare?

Tare is the unladen weight of the vehicle.

Have a read through the attachments I am sure your father in law being into safety should find them interesting.

Tyres___Safety.doc