Tot Blocking All Torrent Traffic

geoffphuket

• Replies 984
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This had to happen. It probably a good thing. You'll "hopefully" see performance of voip, web mail, etc.. improve. Torrents are drain especially since most peers exists outside of TOT, if you look at an average torrent drainer using a steady 1mbit the economics just dont make sense. I cant even buy full transit routes on 1000mbit commits for < 550baht/mbit (or anywhere near that). So hopefully TOT stop, separate, or traffic shape them.

Ideally I'd like to see torrent drainer pay a massive premium. Part ignorance for most windoze users as the systray hides the little U, but wow imagine how fast the internet would be in Thailand without torrent drainers.

Ends rant.

I do strongly agree with this poster.

Personally I have never used torrents. They are only for kids and morons to download movies as they think this is the only good way to use Internet.

I suggest that torrent traffic should be separated and paid at a different rate than normal HTTP, FTP and POP/SMTP traffic.

Then the serious Internet users will only benefit as much more of the usable bandwitdth will be available to them.

Bravo TOT for a clever decision!

• Like 1

I don't understand why they have focused only on private trackers. Do you think they'll come back at night?

It's been posted a few pages back that service will resume as normal after 10pm. I'm clock watching ;)

I read that but I won't believe it until I see it, TOT being TOT.

11 minutes to go :lol:

For Dog's sake! This is not a test or trial of anything. It is simply (possibly) a response from an ISP due to bandwidth being hogged by greedy P2P users. Mind you, I have not experienced any blocking by TOT yet. And yes, I am a 'responsible' P2P user.

If P2P people realised the bandwidth problems that they cause, they may become (hopefully) responsible users & particularly limit their upload speed.

Edited by elkangorito

Hmm... Wouldn't it be fair if we paid for the resources we consume, like your electric or water meter?

Which resources, exactly, are we "consuming"?

Torrents are consuming now about 70% of the TOT usable bandwidth.

As a result serious Internet users are experiencing a very slow browsing and uploading performance....

Hmm... Wouldn't it be fair if we paid for the resources we consume, like your electric or water meter?

As a result serious Internet users are experiencing a very slow browsing and uploading performance....

You've missed the point altogether. TOT HAVE BLOCKED TORRENTS

Ok, so we've now had a couple of TOT techs and operators suggest that torrenting is being blocked. Here in Sisaket We're still getting regular complete loss of service, Can't browse, can't even refresh this page to check new posts for long periods. How would blocking torrent trackers do that unless they really messed up and blocked the lot in certain areas? Throughout today many people have posted about complete loss of service so I'm still sceptical about torrent blocking.

To those that spoke to an operator, did THEY volunteer the info about torrent blocking or did YOU ask them if torrents were being blocked, providing them with an excuse for whatever is causing complete loss of service?

As a frequent user of torrent from many many places(free wifi coffee shops rock) in Bangkok and

Pattaya I can say no blocks at all in the last month.And I have 30GB of files to prove it!

Remember there are many reasons for no connection

and that yellow warning sign, including a bad router and torrent connection cut off from

further upstream. This happens sometimes with piratebay as they are constantly in a war of

whack-a-mole with the authorities,

As a frequent user of torrent from many many places(free wifi coffee shops rock) in Bangkok and

Pattaya I can say no blocks at all in the last month.And I have 30GB of files to prove it!

and that yellow warning sign, including a bad router and torrent connection cut off from

further upstream. This happens sometimes with piratebay as they are constantly in a war of

So you've tried downloading a torrent from TOT today have you? What happened days, weeks ago is irrelevant. Read the thread from page 1 and when you get to 13 you'll understand the problem.

Yes, it would be fair if people paid for their bandwidth. BTW, Bandwidth decreases substantially with uploads, which is why I limit my upload speed.

Perhaps all the greedy pigs who not only want everything for free but also in 2 seconds, will think twice when all the ISP's in Thailand start throttling P2P connections? At the moment, there is apparently little throttling but if the greedy pigs continue, the whole P2P thing in Thailand will be ruined.

The message is simple...your download limit can be unlimited but your upload limit must be minimal.

"With time, patience & a bit of easing grease, you can stretch a mosquito's arsehol_e across a 44 gallon drum". A quote from my grandfather.

Edited by elkangorito

Yet another off-topic numb-nuts weighs in. This one with an impressive 26 posts to his name. Please stop wasting our band-width (and our oxygen).

It's after 10 PM. Time to report on results for blocked private trackers. In my case, NOT FIXED.

Same here, not that I really expected anything else :(

Me either. Probably from customer service rep made that up because he knew he would be off duty after 10 ...

I note there's still confusion. In simple terms P2P creates a bandwidth load out of proportion to the activity as perceived by the user. That activity load has to be borne by the ISP, and by definition owing to contention by other users of the service. Now data is very difficult to review, since it is nearly always corporately sponsored, [i.e Cisco trumpeting the need for 'their' routers as the solution], so figures vary from 50 up to 70% of all internet traffic is that spawned by the 'simple' P2P transaction. Therefore, because P2P does factually use more resources, and presently comprises a considerable impact profile the ISPs target it [usually by shaping or throttling]. Again, the user doesn't have the right to use a process which impacts other users [the capacity profile] without any overall management. If, for example, one used other sources [usually paid for] which provide a less resource [from the ISP's perspective] intensive delivery mechanism this issue would be ameliorated.

Of course, the problem which dare not speak it's name is international bandwidth, which is where the impact is most felt by TOT.

To be clear, I don't think that switching 'everyone off' is a bright way to deal with a real problem, and I for one do hope it proves to be a configuration upcock, similar to the attempt to update the DNS' a few years ago which no one ever acknowledged torpedoed the net here for days.

Regards

PS It's gone 10:00, and then... :)

PPS What happens when everyone at TOT realises that video has not only grown but increased in quality, a double whammy I think is the phrase.

Edited by A_Traveller

You've missed the point altogether. TOT HAVE BLOCKED TORRENTS

Then why is it working on my TOT line?

Any chance you pissed off the callcenter employees so much that they had an engineer putting a special filter on your connection?

Let's test it. Post a torrent or a link to a torrent and I'll start it too to see what happens.

I note there's still confusion. In simple terms P2P creates a bandwidth load out of proportion to the activity as perceived by the user. That activity load has to be borne by the ISP, and by definition owing to contention by other users of the service. Now data is very difficult to review, since it is nearly always corporately sponsored, [i.e Cisco trumpeting the need for 'their' routers as the solution], so figures vary from 50 up to 70% of all internet traffic is that spawned by the 'simple' P2P transaction. Therefore, because P2P does factually use more resources, and presently comprises a considerable impact profile the ISPs target it [usually by shaping or throttling]. Again, the user doesn't have the right to use a process which impacts other users [the capacity profile] without any overall management. If, for example, one used other sources [usually paid for] which provide a less resource [from the ISP's perspective] intensive delivery mechanism this issue would be ameliorated.

Of course, the problem which dare not speak it's name is international bandwidth, which is where the impact is most felt by TOT.

To be clear, I don't think that switching 'everyone off' is a bright way to deal with a real problem, and I for one do hope it proves to be a configuration upcock, similar to the attempt to update the DNS' a few years ago which no one ever acknowledged torpedoed the net here for days.

Regards

PPS What happens when everyone at TOT realises that video has not only grown but increased in quality, a double whammy I think is the phrase.

Yet another good post, which seems to be totally ignored by many.

Regards

Well said, unfortunately they dont get it! They scratch their heads and call troll..

There are options for video I believe. Although it looks like it will require co-operation from the vendors (youtube,rapidvideos, iplayer, hulu etc..) with the network providers to a degree, Im no longer familiar with exactly how it works, multicasting is your google.

So you've tried downloading a torrent from TOT today have you? What happened days, weeks ago is irrelevant. Read the thread from page 1 and when you get to 13 you'll understand the problem.

Not sure if it was TOT but I did get a complete movie from Freedom cafe in siam and

another cafe.

Let's assume it wasn't TOT say it was True. Woudn't TOT be cutting their own

throat by limiting/stopping torrent? Don't forget most customers who use torrent are Thai.

I will try a pub near Soi cowboy tomorrow and see if its OK :)

Just giving some perspective....

AS A GREEDY P2P PIG! (OINK OINK) :)

Edited by BugJackBaron