Foreign Lawyer Working In Thailand

Hope this is the right forum for my question, if not my apologies

My brother in law, he is 40 years old and a practicing lawyer in Israel, looks like he is willing to relocate

in Thailand and open there his own practice.

The question is, and thanks in advance for any relevant opinions, what are the formalities to get the license

to practice in Thailand - I believe at the beginning and naturally BTW., for the first years because of the language, he'll be almost 100% expats oriented.

Edited by hl2u

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

he will never be able to practice law as a non-Thai national. It is a restricted profession.

Now, he can act as a consultant however, and have a Thai national lawyer sign off on all his work....

Ill informed nonsense.All the major international law firms in Bangkok have both Thai and non-Thai partners.

he will never be able to practice law as a non-Thai national. It is a restricted profession.

Now, he can act as a consultant however, and have a Thai national lawyer sign off on all his work....

Ill informed nonsense.All the major international law firms in Bangkok have both Thai and non-Thai partners.

Ah, wherever I go, there will be Jayboy trying to prove me wrong.

http://www.thailandlawonline.com/list_1.html

check out number 39 there sunshine. I guess your PhD didn't include basic research.

To the OP. I have a number of friends who are lawyers, working in Thailand. We regularly pitch work together. Strictly speaking though, they are advisors, consultants, anything else, but not a lawyer as far as the Thai government is concerned.

Edited by samran

check out number 39 there sunshine. I guess your PhD didn't include basic research.

To the OP. I have a number of friends who are lawyers, working in Thailand. We regularly pitch work together. Strictly speaking though, they are advisors, consultants, anything else, but not a lawyer as far as the Thai government is concerned.

Ill informed nonsense again.The list of prescribed activities for foreigners is well known.However there are many exceptions in the legal profession, and as I earlier noted every multinational legal firm in Bangkok has foreign as well as Thai partners.I can only conclude you have no experience or understanding of doing business at a high level in Thailand, and cannot comment on your presumably small time contacts.For those who doubt look at the website of any international legal firm with representation in Bangkok.(I am actually doubtful whether you even know the names of this international legal firms).There are also foreign lawyers with some local firms but this is not universal.If you mean foreigners cannot practise at the Thai bar, that's a different matter.I am talking about "solicitors" in the English or Australian sense.

Ill informed nonsense again.The list of prescribed activities for foreigners is well known.However there are many exceptions in the legal profession, and as I earlier noted every multinational legal firm in Bangkok has foreign as well as Thai partners.I can only conclude you have no experience or understanding of doing business at a high level in Thailand, and cannot comment on your presumably small time contacts.For those who doubt look at the website of any international legal firm with representation in Bangkok.(I am actually doubtful whether you even know the names of this international legal firms).There are also foreign lawyers with some local firms but this is not universal.If you mean foreigners cannot practise at the Thai bar, that's a different matter.I am talking about "solicitors" in the English or Australian sense.

I think you have a man-crush on me....darling. Your passive agressiveness is just so, well attractive. "Presumably small time contacts". Your arrogance, condescension....such an attractive look.

I dare you to ask your friends if you could look at their work permit and see what it actually says on it. Won't be lawyer, that is for sure. Well, unless you know one of the 6 foreign lawyers who were grandfathered pre-1975.

And no, I have no idea of what a magic circle law firm is...can you tell me? I know the former chairman of one of these small time law firms...Baker and someone....dear....you'll have to remind me.

http://www.thailawforum.com/articles/charununlegal2.html

So...

The Lawyers Act B.E. 2528 (AD 1985) defines a lawyer as "a person who has been registered as a lawyer, and a license has been issued to him or her by the Law Society of Thailand." Therefore, no one can become a lawyer or practice law in Thailand without an education in law, registration, and a license to practice.

(10) Section 35 of the Lawyers Act B.E. 2528 (AD 1985) provides as follows:

"Section 35. An applicant for registration and a License shall have the following qualifications: (1) being of Thai nationality; (2) being at least twenty years of age; (3) having a Bachelor's Degree or an Associate Degree in law or a certificate in law equivalent to a Bachelor's Degree or Associate Degree from an educational institute accredited by the Law Society of Thailand, and must be a member of the Thai Bar Association; (4) not being a person of indecent behavior or delinquent morals or a person whose conduct is indicative of dishonesty; (5) not being imprisoned by a final judgment; (6) never having been imprisoned by a final judgment for an offence which, in the Board's discretion, will impair the integrity of the profession; (7) not being bankrupt by a final judgment; (8) not having an ailment which is contagious and repugnant to the public; (9) not being physically disabled or mentally infirmed which may cause professional incompetence; (10) not being a government official or a local government official with permanent salary and position except a political official."

I think you have a man-crush on me....darling. Your passive agressiveness is just so, well attractive. "Presumably small time contacts". Your arrogance, condescension....such an attractive look.

I dare you to ask your friends if you could look at their work permit and see what it actually says on it. Won't be lawyer, that is for sure. Well, unless you know one of the 6 foreign lawyers who were grandfathered pre-1975.

And no, I have no idea of what a magic circle law firm is...can you tell me? I know the former chairman of one of these small time law firms...Baker and someone....dear....you'll have to remind me.

http://www.thailawforum.com/articles/charununlegal2.html

So...

The Lawyers Act B.E. 2528 (AD 1985) defines a lawyer as "a person who has been registered as a lawyer, and a license has been issued to him or her by the Law Society of Thailand." Therefore, no one can become a lawyer or practice law in Thailand without an education in law, registration, and a license to practice.

(10) Section 35 of the Lawyers Act B.E. 2528 (AD 1985) provides as follows:

"Section 35. An applicant for registration and a License shall have the following qualifications: (1) being of Thai nationality; (2) being at least twenty years of age; (3) having a Bachelor's Degree or an Associate Degree in law or a certificate in law equivalent to a Bachelor's Degree or Associate Degree from an educational institute accredited by the Law Society of Thailand, and must be a member of the Thai Bar Association; (4) not being a person of indecent behavior or delinquent morals or a person whose conduct is indicative of dishonesty; (5) not being imprisoned by a final judgment; (6) never having been imprisoned by a final judgment for an offence which, in the Board's discretion, will impair the integrity of the profession; (7) not being bankrupt by a final judgment; (8) not having an ailment which is contagious and repugnant to the public; (9) not being physically disabled or mentally infirmed which may cause professional incompetence; (10) not being a government official or a local government official with permanent salary and position except a political official."

Baker and Mackenzie is just a franchise, its quality varying from market to market.The Thailand partnership is I agree well thought of but it's not a "magic circle" firm.

Why don't you stop ranting and do your research, check the "magic circle' firms represented in Bangkok and reflect on the outcome.I have no idea what these foreign lawyers have on their work permits but their work isn't signed off by a Thai colleague, at least in my experience.Here's some leads..Clifford Chance,Allen and Overy,Linklaters.All employ foreign lawyers some of them partners.If you think their immigration status is irregular you can take the necessary action.But somehow my guess is that their credentials in understanding the status of foreign lawyers in Thailand might be somewhat superior to yours.

Why don't you stop ranting and do your research, check the "magic circle' firms represented in Bangkok and reflect on the outcome.I have no idea what these foreign lawyers have on their work permits but their work isn't signed off by a Thai colleague, at least in my experience.Here's some leads..Clifford Chance,Allen and Overy,Linklaters.All employ foreign lawyers some of them partners.If you think their immigration status is irregular you can take the necessary action.But somehow my guess is that their credentials in understanding the status of foreign lawyers in Thailand might be somewhat superior to yours.

pompous...that is the word I was thinking of.

Having known foreigners for all those firms you have kindly pointed out to me, well, I dare say that their understanding of the status of foreign lawyers is exactly the same as mine. (again, a hint of condecension...so attractive)

The only Australian citizen I did know who was a registered lawyer in Thailand, well she had a Thai passport as well. A&O as i recall.

The others, well they were very careful not to overstep in how they described themselves in Thailand. But I could be imagining all this of course. Even 'consultants and managers' had to get sneaky on their immigration status. But I won't dob them in, if you don't.

You are very clearly the expert.

pompous...that is the word I was thinking of.

Having known foreigners for all those firms you have kindly pointed out to me, well, I dare say that their understanding of the status of foreign lawyers is exactly the same as mine. (again, a hint of condecension...so attractive)

The only Australian citizen I did know who was a registered lawyer in Thailand, well she had a Thai passport as well. A&O as i recall.

The others, well they were very careful not to overstep in how they described themselves in Thailand. But I could be imagining all this of course. Even 'consultants and managers' had to get sneaky on their immigration status. But I won't dob them in, if you don't.

You are very clearly the expert.

Since you have a contact at A and O, suggest you check the position with her.It's a very good example of a major firm employing several foreign lawyers.The senior partner is a Brit I believe.It's all there on the website if you can be bothered to look.

All employ foreign lawyers some of them partners.

At least as far as Clifford Chance, neither of the 2 Bangkok Partners is 'Qualified' to the Bar in Thailand (both are listed as Qualified in England and Wales) and both were Partners in the (worldwide?) firm before their being stationed this go-round in Thailand.

Edited by jazzbo

I believe there was a foreign lawyer in Samui about 4 years ago.

Also the restricted professions list means that I worked ilegally although I had a permit as my postion came under 28 and 38...Any office worker in BKK is working ilegally, any agent or broker is also working ilegally? I think not.

Foreign lawyers in Thailand are "advisors", they always have licensed Thai lawyers as part of their practice. Many of the international firms have foreign lawyers as their foreign clients and Thai clients doing business overseas need advice on specific countries and doing business/contracts that are enforceable in more than one country's jurisdiction.

Thai law is based on a mixture of English law and French law and thrown into the mix are Asian and Thai inherited local laws . Being able to practice law here requires a person to pass the Thai bar exam (in Thai). Like many things here in Thailand, there are Thais that say they are lawyers, but have never passed the exam, but simply majored in law in university. There are also foreigners here who say they are lawyers in their own countries, but have never passed any law exam or practiced law in their own countries (I won't name names). Be careful out there................

No, he is right. Only Thais can get a lawyer's license in Thailand. International Firms have foreign partners yes, but their work permits all read 'consultant' or 'arbitrator' or something else. They do not 'practise' law in Thailand as such.

Believe me, with respect to this issue, I know what I'm talking about.

Having said all that - the brother-in-law of the OP should have no trouble building up a practise here in Thailand if he wants to. The presence of foreign lawyers is recognised by the government and other powers that be, as essential for foreign direct investment therefore their presence is tolerated and enforcement of the law is relaxed accordingly.

Edited by Sabre

I practiced international business law for 14 years in the states. I've shopped my CV around to all the major firms doing int'l law in Bangkok. Never even had an interview. I've been at it for 3 years. I think it's a real tough nut to crack, and you have to have some inside help to get hired on as a consultant. Some Brits may have it easier because they can do immigration law, i.e. obtaining settlement visas, etc. For Americans, legal counsel in the immigration process for Thai spouses and girlfriends is really unnecessary, so there's little demand for it.

I practiced international business law for 14 years in the states. I've shopped my CV around to all the major firms doing int'l law in Bangkok. Never even had an interview. I've been at it for 3 years. I think it's a real tough nut to crack, and you have to have some inside help to get hired on as a consultant. Some Brits may have it easier because they can do immigration law, i.e. obtaining settlement visas, etc. For Americans, legal counsel in the immigration process for Thai spouses and girlfriends is really unnecessary, so there's little demand for it.

I'm not surprised. The big influx of foreign lawyers happened in '97, due to the large number of bankruptcies in Thailand and the region. All the magic circle firms were vying for a position in the market. Many have since shut up shop in Bangkok. There's a lot of competition from local firms who charge considerably less.

Your best bet is to find a good legal recruiter who has contacts with the Firms in Bangkok.

It will also depend on what you mean by 'international business law'. Immigration law is not relevant to foreign lawyers working in Bangkok (except of course for the need to comply with Thailand's immigration laws like every other foreigner in the country). You're looking more along the lines of corporate & commercial, alternative dispute resolution, insolvency, private equity, project finance, and so forth. If you have a solid CV in any of those areas you should be able to get a position somewhere, although the market has been tightening over the past 5 years or so.

No, he is right. Only Thais can get a lawyer's license in Thailand. International Firms have foreign partners yes, but their work permits all read 'consultant' or 'arbitrator' or something else. They do not 'practise' law in Thailand as such.

Having said all that - the brother-in-law of the OP should have no trouble building up a practise here in Thailand if he wants to. The presence of foreign lawyers is recognised by the government and other powers that be, as essential for foreign direct investment therefore their presence is tolerated and enforcement of the law is relaxed accordingly.

Well I have had over 20 years in business here dealing frequently with foreign lawyers so I also know what I'm talking about.However you seem to be confirming the undeniable truth that many foreign lawyers practise in Bangkok.My knowledge is restricted to the top commercial firms however.There is also absolutely no truth to the suggestion that these lawyers are somehow sailing close to the wind in terms of work permit or immigration status.They openly practise their trade and certainly dont describe themselves as consultants or see the need for Thai lawyers to sign off on their written opinions.In some cases these international lawyers advise the Thai Government.It is perfectly possible - actually I have no idea - that their work permit/visa applications have to be worded in a particular way.

As I say I have no experience of the small time foreign lawyers on occasionally hears about.I suppose there is a market for their services from a certain type of expatriate.

Well I have had over 20 years in business here <SNIP>

Henceforth we will all bow to your infinite wisdom in only dealing with "top commercial firms", and that you have abso-tively, posi-lutely NO experience with as you so succinctly put it; "small time foreign lawyers". ..

BUT, this begs the question;

Have you ever had a foreign lawyer (NOT Law Firm) represent you in a thai court of law about ANYTHING??

I doubt it.

There are only thais in thai courts; except maybe the thai/engrish translator or the foreign 'advisor' (who may or may not be a lawyer) which talks to you.

Contract law, arbitration, litigation, etc, yes foreigner lawyers a plenty; but they are "whores of different color" <sic> :o , sorry; "HORSES of different color". Sorry for the typo. .. ;)

I have been to MANY thai court proceedings and other than acting as 'advisors', I've never seen a foreign attorney ever, as in NOT a single time, address a thai judge.

And now, without further ado, back to the pissing match already in progress. We are sorry to have interrupted your broadcast. .. :P

• Like 1

Well I have had over 20 years in business here dealing frequently with foreign lawyers so I also know what I'm talking about.However you seem to be confirming the undeniable truth that many foreign lawyers practise in Bangkok.My knowledge is restricted to the top commercial firms however.There is also absolutely no truth to the suggestion that these lawyers are somehow sailing close to the wind in terms of work permit or immigration status.They openly practise their trade and certainly dont describe themselves as consultants or see the need for Thai lawyers to sign off on their written opinions.In some cases these international lawyers advise the Thai Government.It is perfectly possible - actually I have no idea - that their work permit/visa applications have to be worded in a particular way.

As I say I have no experience of the small time foreign lawyers on occasionally hears about.I suppose there is a market for their services from a certain type of expatriate.

yi-sip pii - oh ho. Geng chip beng!

Where has anyone said that there weren't foreign qualified lawyers working in Thailand?

Anyway, here is an interesting discussion paper from Tilleke & Gibbins

http://www.tginfo.com/Publications/pdf/NYSB_Lawyers_Obligation.pdf

maybe the firm is a little 'small time' for you. Probably qualifies as 'ill-informed nonsense' in your book.

But for the rest of us mere mortals, a good discussion the ambiguities of categorisation of lawyers in thailand, as well as.

Edited by samran

Where has anyone said that there weren't foreign qualified lawyers working in Thailand?

http://www.tginfo.com/Publications/pdf/NYSB_Lawyers_Obligation.pdf

maybe the firm is a little 'small time' for you. Probably qualifies as 'ill-informed nonsense' in your book.

But for the rest of us mere mortals, a good discussion the ambiguities of categorisation of lawyers in thailand, as well as.

No it's an interesting paper.Thank you for making it available.

I suppose it's a sign of progress that you now concede there are many foreign lawyers working in Thailand.It wasn't clear before.

Oh by the way since you are familiar with Tilleke and Gibbins (several foreign lawyers employed by the way in this reputable but second tier firm), could you clarify whether David Lyman believes that curious skunk like wig he wears is likely to fool anyone.Just wondered.

Well I have had over 20 years in business here <SNIP>

Henceforth we will all bow to your infinite wisdom in only dealing with "top commercial firms", and that you have abso-tively, posi-lutely NO experience with as you so succinctly put it; "small time foreign lawyers". ..

BUT, this begs the question;

Have you ever had a foreign lawyer (NOT Law Firm) represent you in a thai court of law about ANYTHING??

I doubt it.

There are only thais in thai courts; except maybe the thai/engrish translator or the foreign 'advisor' (who may or may not be a lawyer) which talks to you.

Contract law, arbitration, litigation, etc, yes foreigner lawyers a plenty; but they are "whores of different color" <sic> :o , sorry; "HORSES of different color". Sorry for the typo. .. ;)

I have been to MANY thai court proceedings and other than acting as 'advisors', I've never seen a foreign attorney ever, as in NOT a single time, address a thai judge.

And now, without further ado, back to the pissing match already in progress. We are sorry to have interrupted your broadcast. .. :P

Sorry I thought I had made it clear in a previous post that I appreciate only Thais may be involved in a court of law.My reference to foreign lawyers was purely in the role of solicitor.Try reading posts more carefully and it will avoid the need for this kind of redundant question.

http://www.tginfo.co..._Obligation.pdf

Below a reply to an email I sent a bit ago two two U.S. lawyers (husband and wife) who used to practice here in Bangkok but are now back home.

Mac

"Hi, Mac. Samran is correct. Our work permits always said "consultant." Some of the foreign lawyers in Bkk are actually part owners of their firms, but their work permits say only "consultant" or "manager", and they cannot give legal advice or appear in court. Farangs usually do most of the English language work, but if any officials are involved, a Thai lawyer has to sign off on it. "

To the poser <sic> :o , poster known as “jayboy”:

FWIW; my definition of a “solicitor” and yours may differ by quite a bit.

In fact, in America there is NO such thing as a ‘solicitor’, seeing as it’s an engrish term. Either you’re a lawyer, and passed the bar exam in your state or you didn’t. .. Quite different ‘bars’ to jump over, doncha think “jayboy” ;) ?

My advice is; “Deal with it or take it to your grave.. ..” :lol:

A solicitor who is a “London Lawyer” (or even an American Lawyer) carries NO weight here in the glorious “Land ‘O Thais”, unless that person’s thaied <sic> :o , I meant ‘tied’ into a “Thai” (run and owned 51%) Law Firm.

My post was NOT a B/S post, except that it cast doubt on your original assertions ;) , which; as a know it all ‘20+ year foreigner’ here, who only deals with “high level thai firms” or what ever you want to call ‘em, you are the obvious “expert in residence”.

Again, we will all bow down when you pass by, and tug our forelock too :P !!

Is that good enough for you; especially after hi-jacking this topic SOO far off the O/P’s original thread?

And lest we forget the original topic of the thread; it was about how could a foreigner, who is a lawyer, secure employment here in thailand? What it wasn’t about, was this pissing match between know it all foreigners. ..

This is why SOOOOO many threads here get ‘de-railed’ and no one is the wiser :blink: . ..

So in summary...

Well I have had over 20 years in business here dealing frequently with foreign lawyers so I also know what I'm talking about.

My knowledge is restricted to the top commercial firms however.

From our erstwhile forum sponsor, Sunbelt

http://www.sunbeltlegaladvisors.com/Thailand-Work-Permit.php

"Thai law prohibits employers from allowing aliens to perform any function other than that described in the alien's Work Permit....

"Any alien who engages in work without a Work Permit, or in violation of the conditions of his work as stipulated in his Permit, may be punished by a term of imprisonment not exceeding three months or a fine of up to 5,000 baht, or both. Aliens engaged in work prohibited to them by Royal Decree (as listed in the " Restricted Occupations ") shall be liable to imprisonment for a term not exceeding five years or to a fine ranging from 2,000 to 100,000 baht, or both"

There is also absolutely no truth to the suggestion that these lawyers are somehow sailing close to the wind in terms of work permit or immigration status.

A cocky arrogant lawyer. We'll I'd never...

Only Thais can get a lawyer's license in Thailand. International Firms have foreign partners yes, but their work permits all read 'consultant' or 'arbitrator' or something else. They do not 'practise' law in Thailand as such.

actually I have no idea

you said it bud....

From our erstwhile forum sponsor, Sunbelt

http://www.sunbeltlegaladvisors.com/Thailand-Work-Permit.php

"Thai law prohibits employers from allowing aliens to perform any function other than that described in the alien's Work Permit....

"Any alien who engages in work without a Work Permit, or in violation of the conditions of his work as stipulated in his Permit, may be punished by a term of imprisonment not exceeding three months or a fine of up to 5,000 baht, or both. Aliens engaged in work prohibited to them by Royal Decree (as listed in the " Restricted Occupations ") shall be liable to imprisonment for a term not exceeding five years or to a fine ranging from 2,000 to 100,000 baht, or both"

There is also absolutely no truth to the suggestion that these lawyers are somehow sailing close to the wind in terms of work permit or immigration status.

A cocky arrogant lawyer. We'll I'd never...

Only Thais can get a lawyer's license in Thailand. International Firms have foreign partners yes, but their work permits all read 'consultant' or 'arbitrator' or something else. They do not 'practise' law in Thailand as such.

actually I have no idea

you said it bud....

Well that clears it up then.Play around with my post "you said it bud" when the reference was solely to my having no idea how foreign lawyers process their work permits.Your invocation of Sunbelt is more revealing than you probably know.

The fact remains that despite your poor advice and ignorance on the matter, many foreign lawyers practise here perfectly legally.I never said foreigner lawyers could be involved in the court system:their role is confined to the provision of advice mainly in the larger corporate sector.

So in reasonably plain (American) English: Lawyers qualified to practice in countries other than Thailand are allowed to be employed by law firms here in Thailand but not as lawyers qualified to practrice in Thailand.