Life Around Na Jomtien/Silverlake/Bang Sare Area

stevehaigh

hi, i'm considering moving to a place between Silverlake vineyard and Na Jomtien (Na Chom Thian on google maps).

are there any local farang (preferably English/US/Aussi) simple family restaurants in that area? and what about shopping, anywhere to find nice bread or some farang food without going into Pattaya?

thanks

There are several of us who live in that area. PM me and I can help you out. We live near the Ambassador Hotel.

The View is pretty cool. A bit on the expensive side...parking lot usually has a Lambo, Ferrari or Porsche in it...primarily Thai food, but great views.

Not too far from the Pinnacle, towards the beach, are quite a few places. The pizza place there is nice, run by an Aussie I believe?). Sea Falcon is just past it and has OK farang food. We prefer Ton Hard further on, but it is Thai...

Silverlake has quite good food. Love their caesar salad and their Italian pasta is great. I have heard the pizza is good also...

Sunset Village has OK food, expensive, but fantastic location.

For great Thai seafood, try the restaurants in Ban Amphur. We prefer Precha's and Toey. Right on the water. Precha's is PACKED on the weekends...

As for shopping...you have to go into Pattaya. From what I know, nothing out here for farang food.

We love it out here...away from the hustle and bustle of Pattaya, but only 10 minutes by car for shopping...

Three's nothing in the area you're talking about so you'll have to have a car and drive to do your shopping which will be in Pattaya until the Tesco's Rimmer is talking about opens. Assuming they will have a choice of Farang shopping which most don't outside of Pattaya.

Tesco Lotus are opening in Ban Ampur so may be able to buy farang food in there when it is open which wont be long at the rate they are putting it up.

It's a Tesco Lotus Express (about the same sized as a 7/11). Not a full Tesco Lotus.

If you are considering it as a source of farang food. Then you might as well consider the 7/11's. Most tourist in Ban Ampur get some falang food at the 7/11's, including me.

Tesco Lotus are opening in Ban Ampur so may be able to buy farang food in there when it is open which wont be long at the rate they are putting it up.

It's a Tesco Lotus Express (about the same sized as a 7/11). Not a full Tesco Lotus.

If you are considering it as a source of farang food. Then you might as well consider the 7/11's. Most tourist in Ban Ampur get some falang food at the 7/11's, including me.

oh, bugger, i was hoping for local french bread. the Tesco bread is ok when fresh and reasonably priced but i don't think the Express ones usually make it, maybe some do.

i was hoping to find a little local brit hangout 5 mins from Na Jomtien village, or perhaps south of Phoenix golf club. i guess there isn't anything there then?

There are farang hangouts all the way down . I live another 7-10 minutes from Craig & Rimmer in Bang Saray & there are places to hang at. for meats & fruit & veggies no one can touch either in price or quality Makro! Besides it is nice to jaunt down to the city for fun & see the reason a lot have moved to the outskirts. Which is right around the corner from Pattaya on Bike or auto. Craig seems to have a line on the restaurants. We cook at home not to save bucks but I like gourmet style cooking & it is tough to find better than what I can whip up in the kitchen. Not to many people disappointed that have moved Na Jomtien or further. Sattahib is a bit to local for me, but Bang Saray is the bomb!

Edited by Beardog

There are farang hangouts all the way down . I live another 7-10 minutes from Craig & Rimmer in Bang Saray & there are places to hang at. for meats & fruit & veggies no one can touch either in price or quality Makro! Besides it is nice to jaunt down to the city for fun & see the reason a lot have moved to the outskirts. Which is right around the corner from Pattaya on Bike or auto. Craig seems to have a line on the restaurants. We cook at home not to save bucks but I like gourmet style cooking & it is tough to find better than what I can whip up in the kitchen. Not to many people disappointed that have moved Na Jomtien or further. Sattahib is a bit to local for me, but Bang Saray is the bomb!

Couldn't agree more.

Ban Amphur has some of the best seafood places on the eastern seaboard.

Bang Saray has a decent beach and some great restaurants. (just a slight problem that right now the local government is putting in some new storm drains, so some of the roads through and around the village are a bit lumpy).

And, we are just 15 - 20 minutes from the great shopping/nightlife/international restaurants/cinemas/theatres/ago-go's +++ of Pattaya.

Also Nong Nooch gardens and shows... and coming soon - a massive waterpark.

Where's that 'drooling' emoticon?

We drove through Bang Saray 2 days ago. We have not been in several months and we plan to head back and have a sunset drink there someday. You can't drive all the way down through the village due to the construction, but have to cut in near that housing development just before the first restaurant. No biggie.

Have you eaten at any of those places with the small tables under the trees? Are they any good? Looks like fun.

PM me when you do your gourmet cooking! Maew and I will stop by for sure!!!!!!! :D

Here's a pic towards Bang Saray taken at the Sunset Village beach 2 days ago.

Edited by Rimmer
It is against forum rules to post members pictures, even your own

i was hoping to find a little local brit hangout 5 mins from Na Jomtien village, or perhaps south of Phoenix golf club. i guess there isn't anything there then?

Traveling on the Phoenix golf club road, to the west of Pheonix there's a place called 'the 19th hole' several farangs hang out there. There a small family steak restaurant in a row of new shop houses on the same road closer to Ban Amphur. I can't vouch for any of them I've only driven by and noticed them.

Hey guys,

Great to see there are fellow expats in the area! I am starting a new job next month in Sattahip so right now i'm looking for a house somewhere between Pattaya and Sattahip.

I've seen a place next to Pheonix Golf Club which looks ideal, so all going well i should be joining the neighbourhood in the next 3 weeks or so.

I'm from Scotland and LOVE playing golf, but not yet had the opportunity to play in Thailand as i've been living up in Korat and away from any courses, what are the courses like in the area?

Reading all these posts i see that this area is the place of choice if you're looking for somewhere close to the nightlife, but not on its doorstep. Perfect.

Keep the info coming guys, it's helping me a lot!!

Cheers, :jap:

Dave.

For great Thai seafood, try the restaurants in Ban Amphur. We prefer Precha's and Toey. Right on the water. Precha's is PACKED on the weekends...

I don't live near there but I second the Precha Seafood recommendation :) The beach near Precha's is ok as well and never crowded during the week.

I sometimes hop on my bike and cruise down Sukumvit (towards Sattahip) turning left turn on the road leading to Silverlake, then left again on Route 331( Correct number?) cruising back towards East Pattaya, ending up for a beer at the 9999 beer, convenience store, restaurant. The countryside is refreshing and it seems as if you were 100s of kilometers from the hustle and bustle of Pattaya :)

Edited by Lancelot

Hi, we have just moved from North Pattaya over to the South side up in the Hua Yai area. It is so peaceful and quiet and there are quite a few of us Falangs out here.

Haven't tried any restaurants yet but there seems to be plenty around if you travel about.

I don't live near there but I second the Precha Seafood recommendation :) The beach near Precha's is ok as well and never crowded during the week.

I sometimes hop on my bike and cruise down Sukumvit (towards Sattahip) turning left turn on the road leading to Silverlake, then left again on Route 331( Correct number?) cruising back towards East Pattaya, ending up for a beer at the 9999 beer, convenience store, restaurant. The countryside is refreshing and it seems as if you were 100s of kilometers from the hustle and bustle of Pattaya :)

Another nice ride is if you take the left turn before the Silverlake turn. This takes you into a large temple/park area (can't remember the name). Just keep straight on until you are in the centre of the temple area, where there's often a few tourist buses around. Bear to the right (signposted for route 331). This road takes you past the monks houses, through a forested area and eventually onto the 331. The roads are excellent and very quiet.

Another nice ride is if you take the left turn before the Silverlake turn. This takes you into a large temple/park area (can't remember the name). Just keep straight on until you are in the centre of the temple area, where there's often a few tourist buses around. Bear to the right (signposted for route 331). This road takes you past the monks houses, through a forested area and eventually onto the 331. The roads are excellent and very quiet.

Dont tell everyone !!!!! its a nice quiet area that i like to go cycling !!!! lots of small roads to explore

Hey guys,

I've seen a place next to Pheonix Golf Club which looks ideal, so all going well i should be joining the neighbourhood in the next 3 weeks or so.

Dave.

Maybe one of the four newly built empty houses close to me?

Hey guys,

Dave.

Could very well be, it looks brand new on the photos - i've only seen it online but having a look when i arrive on 9th September hopefully to move straight in.

What is the area like? Is it quiet? Many expats? How long to commute to Sattahip?

Any info much appreciated.

Dave.

Now you know all my secrets, LOL! I believe one of the temples is named Viharnra Sien. Don't forget the large Buddah just before Silver Lake :)

Acknowledgement-copied photos

post-2362-093173100 1282117215_thumb.jpg

post-2362-006756400 1282117229_thumb.jpg

Hey guys,

Dave.

Could very well be, it looks brand new on the photos - i've only seen it online but having a look when i arrive on 9th September hopefully to move straight in.

What is the area like? Is it quiet? Many expats? How long to commute to Sattahip?

Dave.

Post the pics and maybe we can help you?

Phoenix golf club is a very quite area with a lot of ex pats living on and around. It is about 15 minutes to Sattahip and the same to Lotus in Pattaya.

Incidentally the new Tesco Lotus in Ban Ampur is now open and judging from the amount of cars and motorbikes outside it is not going to be big enough :o

OK...where is this new Lotus at? I just drove Suk and didn't see anything! Of course, I was doing my normal driving habit of looking out for dogs, chickens, scooters, crazy drivers, etc...

Right on the corner of the turn off to Phoenix opposite the 711 store

I am living near the Ambassador and I would add my 2 cents

For restaurants;Ambassador has a good oyster bar according to one friend (don't like oysters....)

At the corner of NaJomtien soi 18 and Sukhumvit,there is an open thai restaurant with good and spicy food.Lot of people there nearly everyday evening.But you have to like to eat in the smoke of Sukhumvit.(soi 18 is the second soi on seaside after ambassador coming from Sattahip)

I suggest to avoid the other Ambassador restaurants and the Ocean Marina one.(food poisoning for 4 of us in the past in OM)

There is a pharmacy with knowledgable english speaking lady in the area.Turn to East at the red light between Chayapruk an d Ambassador.She is in the second house on your right.She will even order medications for you at Fascino (cheapest pharmacy in Pattaya) price (have to bargain a little) ;)

Welcome in the area :)

OK...where is this new Lotus at? I just drove Suk and didn't see anything! Of course, I was doing my normal driving habit of looking out for dogs, chickens, scooters, crazy drivers, etc...

There's a road sign in front of the 7/11 saying Na Jomtien Soi 17. It's not open yet. I was there yesterday and they are just now stocking it, so it was closed. I would say for sure it will be open by the weekend.

Remember, it's not a full sized Lotus. It's a Lotus Express. About the same size as a 7/11.

Edited by BB1950

There's a road sign in front of the 7/11 saying Na Jomtien Soi 17. It's not open yet. I was there yesterday and they are just now stocking it, so it was closed. I would say for sure it will be open by the weekend.

Remember, it's not a full sized Lotus. It's a Lotus Express. About the same size as a 7/11.

It was open at 7.30pm this evening (Wednesday)when I drove past.

I am living near the Ambassador and I would add my 2 cents

For restaurants;Ambassador has a good oyster bar according to one friend (don't like oysters....)

At the corner of NaJomtien soi 18 and Sukhumvit,there is an open thai restaurant with good and spicy food.Lot of people there nearly everyday evening.But you have to like to eat in the smoke of Sukhumvit.(soi 18 is the second soi on seaside after ambassador coming from Sattahip)

I suggest to avoid the other Ambassador restaurants and the Ocean Marina one.(food poisoning for 4 of us in the past in OM)

There is a pharmacy with knowledgable english speaking lady in the area.Turn to East at the red light between Chayapruk an d Ambassador.She is in the second house on your right.She will even order medications for you at Fascino (cheapest pharmacy in Pattaya) price (have to bargain a little) ;)

Welcome in the area :)

Is that the first soi after Ambassador? There is one before that soi, which we have never tried, and the one just after it, heading to Pattaya, is a great restaurant for cheap rice and chicken (khao man gai). Like 30 baht. We eat there quite often. Open air, but always busy and they sell out fairly quickly. Their noodle soup is quite good also. Just past Captain's hardware store is another open air Thai restaurant. Great food their also...especially their beef soup (don't know the name). Usually busy, packed with Bangkok cars on the weekends.

I have not been to Club 1 yet, but plan to try soon. Seems they even have a pool table!

We're taking the drive out to Phoenix/Silverlake today....will check out the Lotus for sure.

P.S. if you need your computer repaired, just before TOT and Club 1 is a great place. The main owners speak English and they do good work. Setup my home network in short order...something I was trying to accomplish for many days. Pretty cool as I can now stream internet radio to my stereo!

Phoenix golf club is a very quite area with a lot of ex pats living on and around. It is about 15 minutes to Sattahip and the same to Lotus in Pattaya.

Incidentally the new Tesco Lotus in Ban Ampur is now open and judging from the amount of cars and motorbikes outside it is not going to be big enough :o

No problem, they can just double and triple park on the main road like all the cars do outside the adjacent 7-11. That's why Sukhumvit is 4 lanes wide.