Best Split Air Conditioner And Service?

Best split air conditioner and service?

I need about 5 or 6 air conditioners.

I have decided on split ACs and inverters.

I am in the ramkamhaeng area of Bangkok.

Ideas for?

Brand?

Dealer?

I am looking for great installation and service first, brand second and price last - of course a good price is wonderful too...

Agree that Daiken is very good. No problem with mine after two years. I also have two beautiful but problematic LG Art Cool units. Do not buy - too many water problems. Do not purchase from Home Pro and the like. They pay installers too little in order to keep price down. You get what you pay for. No experience with Mitsu. I will buy Daiken again.

Get a condenseing unit with multiply ports. You will have one or two condensers that will fed multiply evaporators.

Be careful using such a system. Usually the total capacity of the evaporators is higher than that of the condenser, thus, not all evaporators can be turned on at the same time.

Commonly used in Singapore because apartment unit has only one or two locations to place the condenser unit.

Helpful information - thank you.

So far:

Split inverter Daiken is good per everyone that I have spoken to Mitsubishi a possibilty - LG no.

Stay away from Home Pro and chains.

Multi ports sounds confusing to me

Instead of having 5 seperate condenseing units feeding 5 evaporators you would have one or two units feeding the evaporators. When you go to a company website check out the various units there should be a multiply unit these can feed 2,3,and 4 units and maybe more.

You will have to have the manufacturing rep. check your site and evaluate what is the most efficient design to use 5 seperate units or the multiply evaporator output.

I have just fitted my home with some Panasonic inverter units.

And are you happy with Panasonic?

Did you go with individual units or the multi units?

I would love to save on the electric bill but I also want reliability and teh ability to turn all the air conditioners on at once

The wiring is a 30 Amp system - hope that will be enough.. 5 or 6 inverter type ACs and one water heater.

I have just fitted my home with some Panasonic inverter units.

And are you happy with Panasonic?

Did you go with individual units or the multi units?

I would love to save on the electric bill but I also want reliability and teh ability to turn all the air conditioners on at once

The wiring is a 30 Amp system - hope that will be enough.. 5 or 6 inverter type ACs and one water heater.

Do not know yet. Renovation is in the final couple of weeks. Will move back in early Sept. I use one-to-one as I do not have space problem to place the condensers. Six AC units, 2 each on the two balconies, and two on the ledge outside the kitchen windows. It's a 3-bedroom/1-study condo unit.

Have 4 Daikin inverter units in my condo unit that is rented out. Have them for 1.5 years without any problem. Am trying Panasonic due to price difference.

Here is what a company called Modern Air that specializes in air conditioners with 23 branches quoted me today for 5 inverter air conditioners from Carrier:

Carrier 42TSR Inverter series R410A (which is new)

Promotion prices good through August 21st (So I need to decide quickly)

9,000 BTU 22,900

12,000 BTU 25,900

18,000 BTU 33,900

24,000 BTU 41,900

Installation free

6 month installation warranty

Carrier 7 year compressor warranty

Carrier 1 year fan unit warranty

Note Mitsubishi, Panasonic and daiken were not on sale so were 20% or so more expensive.

The salesman said basically all air conditioners for sale in Thailand were made in Thailand and that all the top 4 or 5 brands were very similar in quality.

Here is what a company called Modern Air that specializes in air conditioners with 23 branches quoted me today for 5 inverter air conditioners from Carrier:

Carrier 42TSR Inverter series R410A (which is new)

Promotion prices good through August 21st (So I need to decide quickly)

9,000 BTU 22,900

12,000 BTU 25,900

18,000 BTU 33,900

24,000 BTU 41,900

Installation free

6 month installation warranty

Carrier 7 year compressor warranty

Carrier 1 year fan unit warranty

Note Mitsubishi, Panasonic and daiken were not on sale so were 20% or so more expensive.

The salesman said basically all air conditioners for sale in Thailand were made in Thailand and that all the top 4 or 5 brands were very similar in quality.

I paid the following for my Panasonic inverters:

9000 BTU - 18,500 each

18000 BTU - 30,500 each

Extra for pipes, conduits, etc - 1,800 each

Add:

Have a quotation from the same company for another condo under renovation

Same rates as above, plus

12000 BTU - 23,500 each

Edited by trogers

I paid the following for my Panasonic inverters:

9000 BTU - 18,500 each

18000 BTU - 30,500 each

Add:

Have a quotation from the same company for another condo under renovation

Same rates as above, plus

12000 BTU - 23,500 each

Thank you

Maybe I need another quote tomorrow

Edited by TravelerEastWest

A new thought how long does it take for an inverter type air conditioner to pay for its additional cost when compared to the same BTU rotary type air conditioner?

two situations:

Day time super hot weather and

Night time slightly hot weather.

Not so much to do with hotness of the weather. An inverter unit should not be undersized for the volume of the room to do its work.

Break even depends largely on the number of hours air-conditioning is required. If 8-10 hours a day, I estimate a Panasonic would break even within 3 years and a Daikin about 4 years. The lesser air-conditioning is used, the longer it will take.

And for both inverter and non-inverter type, insulation against heat, and using natural breeze to cool a hot room before turning on the air-conditioning will bring much saving in electricity cost.

the a/c unit needs to be sized for the amount of cooling required. The inverters are just electrical devices that will slow or speed up the compressor, and fan motors depending on the load. When you start the unit it will be running faster as it cools the inverter will slow the compressor as less cooling is needed.

Depending on the added cost of the inverter check and see what the difference would be for a unit just fitted with a expansion valve. This unit should be cheaper and repair cost lower because no expensive inverter to replace when it goes out.

The difference in running cost may not be worth the extra you will pay for a inverter unit.

Thank you for the information.

Today's shopping price results from an independent non mall technician:

Daiken with installation R22 Freon and a 5 year warranty:

Rotary Inverter

12,000 BTU 18,500 27,500 +9,000

18,000 BTU 26,500 35,100 +8,500

24,000 BTU 36,500 51,500 +15,000

The price of the 24,000 BTU inverter seems a bit high compared to the others maybe a mistake was made?

Carrier inverter prices are about the same but with a 7 year waranty and 410 Freon

All units would be used about 8 hours a day 6 or 7 days a week.

i wonder are Daikens wrth their premium price?

Equipment prices are a tad high (~5%), but installation prices are too high and should not have direct correlation to BTU. Example, 24000 BTU = Bt15,000?

Thank you for the information.

Today's shopping price results from an independent non mall technician:

Daiken with installation R22 Freon and a 5 year warranty:

Rotary Inverter

12,000 BTU 18,500 27,500 +9,000

18,000 BTU 26,500 35,100 +8,500

The price of the 24,000 BTU inverter seems a bit high compared to the others maybe a mistake was made?

Carrier inverter prices are about the same but with a 7 year waranty and 410 Freon

All units would be used about 8 hours a day 6 or 7 days a week.

i wonder are Daikens wrth their premium price?

Edited by trogers

Quotation given to me for Daikin for equipment and installation:

FTKE-12GV2S (10500 BTU) - 27,000 each

FTKD-18GV2S (17700 BTU) - 33,000 each

Note: The prices given to me exclude running the electrical lines as this have been done by my renovation contractor.

Edited by trogers

Note: The prices given to me exclude running the electrical lines as this have been done by my renovation contractor.

My prices included installation and the last number was the difference between rotary and inverter prices I am sorry if the spacing was confusing.

So for example here 36500 is the rotary price and 51,500 (since negotiated to 49,000) is the inverter price .

So my prices (which in theory are "promotion" prices) from your recent experience appear about right?

My prices included installation and the last number was the difference between rotary and inverter prices I am sorry if the spacing was confusing.

So for example here 36500 is the rotary price and 51,500 (since negotiated to 49,000) is the inverter price .

So my prices (which in theory are "promotion" prices) from your recent experience appear about right?

Yes, prices when include installation are reasonable. But take note for possible extras if the fan coil (blower) and the condenser unit are not near to each other, ie. coolant pipe exceeding the standard length of 5m.

Pipes of two of my units have to penetrate through 2 walls and through a built-in cupboard.

" But take note for possible extras if the fan coil (blower) and the condenser unit are not near to each other, ie. coolant pipe exceeding the standard length of 5m."

Good point both the independent installer and the store sales man warned of possible charges although their instalation came with 4 not 5 free meters as I recall.

I am actually quite interested in learning more about remodeling and building houses. Before last week I had no idea of the difference between a rotary and inverter AC and no idea about how to install them.

in the end my independent installer roughly equaled the chain store price for 5 air conditioners and maybe is a few thousand baht more but I like him and he lives close to me and hopefully will put more care into the installation

He is not perfect about being on time etc but he is very friendly and this is Thailand. i dream of a contractor that does a perfect job and is always on time anf charges 700 baht a day. But I have not found him yet..

• 3 months later...

You guys seem to know your AC! We are having a small house (82 sq metres) built. The builder will include a Carrier 12,000btu unit in the price. I am thinking that it would be worth the upgrade to make it an 18,000btu unit. We will use it only in the bedroom for the most part, but occasionally in the rest of the house too. I am thinking that it would also be worth buying an extra evaporator (the inside part that blows cold air) so we'd have one in the bedroom and one in the living room. Is it as simple as just having two of these hooked up to the same single 18,000btu outside unit? Can anyone have an idea roughly how much of an upgrade this would be (extra evaporator and upgrade from 12000>18000btu)? Thanks for the info!

• 11 months later...

Good thread. One note about inverters- I have a Daikin and in my experience i need to run it at a cooler setting to equal the temp of a regular unit. In other words, if i set the my normal unit to 22 or 23 it is really cold in the room. If I want it to feel as cold in the room with the inverter i need to set it to 20 or 21.

I am renovating a house now and need about 7 units, maybe a couple built in. I am getting some quotes with really crazy high costs for the installation and for extras like extra coolant piping. Quotes are coming in from 300,000 - 450,000 baht! Does anyone know a really good a/c company that can do a good job and quote a fair price?

Thanks!

JB