Wires Gone Underground At The Night Bazaar

st11x

Now that we can stroll along the road in the evenings at the Night Bazaar, I glanced up and noticed that on the Pantip side of the road are new and nice street lamps. On closer inspection and to my surprise, I found that the wires have all gone! Look on the opposite side and you can see that how bad it used to be, but I believe that too is coming off as the electrical wires have all gone.

It's nice to see progress however small it may be. Hope it catches on and more roads get the same treatment.

Matt

Trouble is, every time someone changes their internet or telephone company, or someone separates their 1 bed condo into two bedsits, or an office divides, or is built..... they'll need to lay a new cable, which will probably be done above ground, and we'll be back to where we started.

The mayor announced this project about 9 months back and said it would be completed by the middle of the year. So much for the completion date being on time. The city decided to get off their arsh when Chiang Mai was voted the 2nd best city in the world. Now remember they have only done one side of the so called project. but if this continues on Chang Khlan and Tha Phae Road it will take some time and be a major improvement.. I hear from the street that the city wants to do the same thing on Ratchadamnden Road which might mean moving the Sunday Night walking street market over to Chang Khlan.

Now remember they have only done one side of the so called project ... I hear from the street that the city wants to do the same thing on Ratchadamnden Road which might mean moving the Sunday Night walking street market over to Chang Khlan.

Now that would be nice. Would be nicer if they also got rid of the unsightly carts, let us appreciate Le Méridien in all its glory!

I remembered seeing a friend off at the airport and saw them taking out the wires along that small stretch. Several months later when it was my turn to fly, the last remaining bits were still hanging there. I think till today, there are still some loose ends near where they have erected a fence. So hopefully, the other side of the road at the night bazaar don't end up with the same fate.

Matt

Now remember they have only done one side of the so called project ... I hear from the street that the city wants to do the same thing on Ratchadamnden Road which might mean moving the Sunday Night walking street market over to Chang Khlan.

Now that would be nice. Would be nicer if they also got rid of the unsightly carts, let us appreciate Le Méridien in all its glory!

I remembered seeing a friend off at the airport and saw them taking out the wires along that small stretch. Several months later when it was my turn to fly, the last remaining bits were still hanging there. I think till today, there are still some loose ends near where they have erected a fence. So hopefully, the other side of the road at the night bazaar don't end up with the same fate.

Matt

The fence your referring to is the old Peak climbing wall and beer bar area. The property is owned by Central including the old parking lot in the back on Soi1. It would be nice to have it developed.

Matt

what a yellow hotel with empty shops apart from the coffee shop?

agree that the carts could do with a spruce up,especially the plastic wraps and unsightly brown/tan paint jobs they have, but without the carts, we will have no one on that street,

I would rather see CK rd turned into a treelined road with cafe/noodle/food stalls dotted along it, with a lane for cars to slowly drive thru

I had to go past it this early morning and realized that the carts aren't always there 24x7. In the morning when it is all clear, that particular spot looks really nice. The trees and wide sidewalks are finally revealed.

I had to go past it this early morning and realized that the carts aren't always there 24x7. In the morning when it is all clear, that particular spot looks really nice. The trees and wide sidewalks are finally revealed.

I kinda like the noodle restaurant that is set up on the side walk across from The Plaza. it kind of reminds me of the side walk restaurant in Paris only Thai style. I agree keep the carts but clean them up and fix the #$%^# side walks.

I have gotten so used to the no-planning city planning here that anything like this comes as a huge surprise. At least they keep it contained to a small area... ;)

What's next, public trash bins?

Was talking to a Thai friend of mine recently, the main problem is the total cluelessness of the municipal government. Prime example is sidewalks getting renovated in the city, only to end up looking exactly as they did before. Trees in the middle of the side walk to make it impossible for baby strollers and wheelchairs to pass, along with electricity poles, potholes, phone booths (?!?!), etc. It's an obstacle course, not a side walk.

Imagine you had proper side walks in the entire old city - Chiang Mai would instantly be one of the best tourists cities in the world.

I agree with another post .Keep the carts but lets have them repaired and cleaned up .

I whole heartedly agree with you on that.

The night Bazaar is a institution in Thailand. I wish these foreigners that come over here and want to turn it into what they just lefty would go back to where they came from. This is Thailand and it is different. If it wasn't I would not stay here I would stay back in Canada where the weather is not quite so hot and muggy. I believe that I am not alone in my appreciation of Thailand being different.

At the moment I am bouncing back and forth across the border with Canada and the US. They are coming up to elections in the states and it was a shock to see how dirty there politics are makes you wonder what is going on where you can't see them.

I have gotten so used to the no-planning city planning here that anything like this comes as a huge surprise. At least they keep it contained to a small area... ;)

What's next, public trash bins?

Was talking to a Thai friend of mine recently, the main problem is the total cluelessness of the municipal government. Prime example is sidewalks getting renovated in the city, only to end up looking exactly as they did before. Trees in the middle of the side walk to make it impossible for baby strollers and wheelchairs to pass, along with electricity poles, potholes, phone booths (?!?!), etc. It's an obstacle course, not a side walk.

Imagine you had proper side walks in the entire old city - Chiang Mai would instantly be one of the best tourists cities in the world.

Come on, sidewalks in Chiang Mai are very interesting, especially if someone (like me) uses a wheelchair. :)

If there were proper sidewalks all over the city, I think the city would be much less interesting, and boring to travel around :)

I just returned from town and what I saw was looking good. West side of Chang Khlan Road at Night Bazaar all overhead wires gone on the west side of the road, still overhead wires on the east side. AND you should the crews working on Tha Phae Road both sides. The scrap man will be happy.

@ Jackr - yeah, it will give a whole new meaning to 'Today not have good internet; have raining.'

@ Donnyboy - I'm with you. Le Meridien is quite a landmark of course, but a giant odd-shade-of-yellow monolith built in a 1970's style ? I don't really wanna see more of that. Or maybe 5 yr old me in the mid 70's does. But not me now. The trees are nice, as are the open spaces immediately around the hotel, but, that's what maybe a little more city planning might be headed towards on the main drags if we pray and pray and wait and hope and put our pessimism aside.... or maybe not. As with the amazing politics, we can never fully understand or predict the amazing urban planning.

I would rather see CK rd turned into a treelined road with cafe/noodle/food stalls dotted along it, with a lane for cars to slowly drive thru

Yep, anything like Las Ramblas would be super-duper:

noche.jpg

• 4 months later...

No extensions, but the work is complete along Thapae Road, just around the corner at Thapae Gate and the Night Bazar portion of Chang Klan road.

Personal opinion: I think the street lights that were replaced at the same time are far too tall and far too bright. Excellent for a highway, not so much for an in-town road. It pretty much lits up Thapae Road at night like the F1 Singhapore Night Grand Prix, with a very white light.

Some more traditional looking lanterns would work better, but it may be the case of someone having to spend a full budget.

Still, it looks better than before. During the day.

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai

No extensions, but the work is complete along Thapae Road, just around the corner at Thapae Gate and the Night Bazar portion of Chang Klan road.

Personal opinion: I think the street lights that were replaced at the same time are far too tall and far too bright. Excellent for a highway, not so much for an in-town road. It pretty much lits up Thapae Road at night like the F1 Singhapore Night Grand Prix, with a very white light.

Some more traditional looking lanterns would work better, but it may be the case of someone having to spend a full budget.

Still, it looks better than before. During the day.

Need the bright lights. Makes up for the penchant bike riders have of driving with out there light on. Or as is one case it was on but hard to see through the helmet in the basket.:guitar::cheesy: