Cheap Charlies In Pattaya Exclusive Thread

syd barrett

I would like to share with everyone the fact that Carrefour (Pattaya Klang) has the best refrigerated section of offal in Pattaya.

Everything can be found here, tripe, intestines, pigs feet, sweetbreads, pig's snouts, kidney, liver, brains, everything.

It is all priced very cheap and I bought a delicious Pigs Cheek for 20 baht that after cooking was good for three hearty meals.

Offal is the way to go.

This is where you really should be able to read Thai.

The sign says "Pet Food only - Not fit for human consumption!" :lol:

If you can figure out the "tripe, intestines, pigs feet, sweetbreads, pig's snouts, kidney, liver, brains" part (regardless of the language in which it is written), the "not fit for human consumption!" part should be obvious! (I can only imagine what the "everything" else might include). There is a line below which one should not cross and certainly not to save a few Baht. You have surely crossed that line. The thread should be renamed from "Cheap Charlies" to "Disgusting Daves".

• Replies 213
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would like to share with everyone the fact that Carrefour (Pattaya Klang) has the best refrigerated section of offal in Pattaya.

Everything can be found here, tripe, intestines, pigs feet, sweetbreads, pig's snouts, kidney, liver, brains, everything.

It is all priced very cheap and I bought a delicious Pigs Cheek for 20 baht that after cooking was good for three hearty meals.

Offal is the way to go.

I thought the sign says " Isaan Food ". :whistling:

Tips around the home.

Put a brick in the cistern of your WC so less water is used when flushing.

P in the sink or in the shower to save flushing the WC (with the brick in it you're got a double whammy saving).

Only take a dump when you're out at a bar. (at happy hour of course, or on a balloon chasing trip)

Edited by PattayaParent

Offal is the way to go.

If you can figure out the "tripe, intestines, pigs feet, sweetbreads, pig's snouts, kidney, liver, brains" part (regardless of the language in which it is written), the "not fit for human consumption!" part should be obvious! (I can only imagine what the "everything" else might include). There is a line below which one should not cross and certainly not to save a few Baht. You have surely crossed that line. The thread should be renamed from "Cheap Charlies" to "Disgusting Daves".

That is a myth. I've been eating the offal from Carrefour for ages and it does not say pet food only etc. Plus it has the English language description: ie. Pigs feet, Pigs cheek, Lambs kidney etc. Cooked properly it is nutritious and full of goodness.

• Like 1

Offal is the way to go.

Syd-do they sell yorkshire ducks by any chance?:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

[That is a myth. I've been eating the offal from Carrefour for ages and it does not say pet food only etc. Plus it has the English language description: ie. Pigs feet, Pigs cheek, Lambs kidney etc. Cooked properly it is nutritious and full of goodness.

And the cholesterol (bad) level in most offal is off the chart. In very small quantities on rare occasions it probably won't hurt you (too much), but what you save in food bills from regular consumption will likely be more than offset in doctors' bills or shortened lifespan (but that may be another of Syd's Cheap Charlie ways to save money -- die earlier).

Forget about being a Cheap Charlie.

Just stop smoking and drinking , you will be a rich man soon.

:D So true. I was out last night and spent 2,500 just on booze. That could have bought me food for the week.

[That is a myth. I've been eating the offal from Carrefour for ages and it does not say pet food only etc. Plus it has the English language description: ie. Pigs feet, Pigs cheek, Lambs kidney etc. Cooked properly it is nutritious and full of goodness.

And the cholesterol (bad) level in most offal is off the chart. In very small quantities on rare occasions it probably won't hurt you (too much), but what you save in food bills from regular consumption will likely be more than offset in doctors' bills or shortened lifespan (but that may be another of Syd's Cheap Charlie ways to save money -- die earlier).

I have my cholesterol checked regularly and it is fine and there is zero heart disease in my family tree and I don't smoke tobacco. I don't think anyone should worry about eating offal.

Offal is the way to go. Latest news is that Carrefour had a fine offer on Pig's Uterus today, I didn't buy any because I was not sure how to cook it or what to cook it with or in fact how it tasted.

I did however buy a complete pigs tail for 28 baht, which should make a big stew that will last about five days, reheating on a daily basis. They had plenty of tripe on offer today but it looked unfresh.

Condoms are expensive. Remove before climax. Then you can reuse!

Sort of related to the condom / offal way this thread has developed it's interesting to note that the first use of a condom was a sheeps bladder and was invented by a Welshman.

But it was an Englishman that had the idea to take the bladder out of the sheep first.

• Like 2

I have my cholesterol checked regularly and it is fine and there is zero heart disease in my family tree and I don't smoke tobacco. I don't think anyone should worry about eating offal.

Offal is the way to go. Latest news is that Carrefour had a fine offer on Pig's Uterus today, I didn't buy any because I was not sure how to cook it or what to cook it with or in fact how it tasted.

I did however buy a complete pigs tail for 28 baht, which should make a big stew that will last about five days, reheating on a daily basis. They had plenty of tripe on offer today but it looked unfresh.

Syd, guys with elevated bad (LDL) cholesterol levels should avoid eating offal on a regular basis. For many the liver over produces cholesterol naturally and the additional intake puts them over the top. Your instance of offal gobbling sounds like gifted genetics, you are fortunate. After reading the offal menu (utterus to sweetbreads) I am glad I am not so gifted but do an occassional liver and onions. By the way how the he_ll do you get 5 days of food from one pigs tail, add 16 litres of water and 10 cups of rice??? A pigs tail is hair, skin, ligaments and bone - you don't see too many pig tail steaks!! By day 5 they would have to hold me down and force feed me! :bah:

Edited by gerry53

Syd, guys with elevated bad (LDL) cholesterol levels should avoid eating offal on a regular basis. For many the liver over produces cholesterol naturally and the additional intake puts them over the top. Your instance of offal gobbling sounds like gifted genetics, you are fortunate. After reading the offal menu (utterus to sweetbreads) I am glad I am not so gifted but do an occassional liver and onions. By the way how the he_ll do you get 5 days of food from one pigs tail, add 16 litres of water and 10 cups of rice??? A pigs tail is hair, skin, ligaments and bone - you don't see too many pig tail steaks!! By day 5 they would have to hold me down and force feed me! :bah:

Naturally, I add potatoes and carrotts and marrowfat peas to the pig's tail stew.

The pig's tails sold at Carrefour have quite an appreciable amount of meat hidden deep in the orifices of the pig's nates and after persistent boiling, the goodness trickles out and provides nourishing and satisfying sustenance.

• Like 1

Are tails actually offal? In any case, oxtails can certainly be delicious.

JT the pigs tail is not offal, Syd mentioned it as a "frugal" meal". You are correct oxtails are good but have a bit more sustance to them as opposed to the small pigs tails. I appreciate and understand frugality but some of the suggestions are too funny and entertaining with some being over the top - but a good laugh. In Canada I have heard the saying "squeeze the nickel (5 cent coin) until the beaver sh_ts (it's on the back of the coin), that refers to a person being too frugal. :whistling:

• Like 1

Are tails actually offal? In any case, oxtails can certainly be delicious.

JT the pigs tail is not offal, Syd mentioned it as a "frugal" meal". You are correct oxtails are good but have a bit more sustance to them as opposed to the small pigs tails. I appreciate and understand frugality but some of the suggestions are too funny and entertaining with some being over the top - but a good laugh. In Canada I have heard the saying "squeeze the nickel (5 cent coin) until the beaver sh_ts (it's on the back of the coin), that refers to a person being too frugal. :whistling:

And I am sure Syd would find some way of utilising the beaver Sh t to save yet more money.

Go to the Poseidon at Jomtien for their Breakfast/Lunch Buffet :

In the morning you can take eggs of your choice with bacon, ham , sausages, toasts and coffee, juice or whatever else you want.

After you take a break reading the BangPost, available there for free.

Around noon, you can have soup, pork or/and chicken steaks, vegetables, potatoes or again whatever you want.

Finish your meal with a dessert or more than one and a coffee or espresso, you can have lemonade(fruit juice with water) with your meal.

Cost of the two meals 165 ThB

See complete menu here : Now 165 and no more 145 :angry.

http://www.poseidon.casa-pascal.com/Daily-Brunch.htm

In the five years of living in Pattaya almost every cheap charlie type character I have had the misfortune of coming across have all been either bitter or hate the Thais or themsleves or all three together, strange that.

None of them have been the smiling type full of the joys of spring or have anything remotely instresting to say other then how life is so crap with a face like their last partner screwed them over for every penny they had.

So where do u go to meet these type of people,as i have lived here for 7 years and not met one.U need to change your habits mate and pick better places to go too

You have to learn fast here or get caught up and dragged down to the gutter levels of the skint no hoper loser that frequent many Pattaya bars, 99 baht all you can eat type of establishments etc etc.

Ive now cracked it and know of most, if not all, bars where customers are from the north of Watford, wear dirty vest tops, Soi Bua Khao market flip flops, look like Worzel Gummidge and are all in their words "millionaires" back wherever they are from..

Between them, collectively, there isn't enough brain cells to run a Duracell battery to a light a small pocket torch.

Everyone likes a deal but most of these cheap charlies are so thick their only conversation is where one can get something cheaper then somewhere else. We are not talking property or cars were talking shampoo 2 for the price of one, free toothpaste by collecting promotional samples from outside some shopping mall or where one can stuff ones fat face all day for a song. :rolleyes:

You have to learn fast here or get caught up and dragged down to the gutter levels of the skint no hoper loser that frequent many Pattaya bars, 99 baht all you can eat type of establishments etc etc.

Ive now cracked it and know of most, if not all, bars where customers are from the north of Watford, wear dirty vest tops, Soi Bua Khao market flip flops, look like Worzel Gummidge and are all in their words "millionaires" back wherever they are from..

Between them, collectively, there isn't enough brain cells to run a Duracell battery to a light a small pocket torch.

Everyone likes a deal but most of these cheap charlies are so thick their only conversation is where one can get something cheaper then somewhere else. We are not talking property or cars were talking shampoo 2 for the price of one, free toothpaste by collecting promotional samples from outside some shopping mall or where one can stuff ones fat face all day for a song. :rolleyes:

I can't agree with the Duracell statement, some good people are naturally frugal because of their upbringing or situation earlier in life. I knew one millionaire who claimed "take care of the pennies and the dollars will take care of themselves". He ran his companies successfully with those same beliefs and was well grounded (= not full of himself) due to not being born with a silver spoon in his mouth. He would be one of the guys eating a 99 baht meal on Soi Buakhao and under dressed! He was truly tighter than a ducks ar_e. :whistling:

There are various degrees of frufality and some take it too far and it becomes an obsessive way of life, it does mean they are bad people.

I like "good value" even when I splurge but could afford to pay stupid rates, I choose not to.

There are tiny elements of truth in your prejudiced opinions, but one does not necessarily have to be be dim-witted, or uneducated to be frugal.

I would also suggest that not all of the ex-pats who frequent Soi Buckhaew are 'dirty vested' or sartorially challenged. You contradict your own argument by citing 'cheap shampoo and free toothpaste' as conversational asides by the 'gutter' people you so clearly detest.

I put it to you, 'safeandsound' that you are living in an ivory tower, are possibly the kind of person who kicks beggars out of the way and lives life banally contented; by repeating the mantra 'look after #1'.

Pride comes before a fall.