Cheap Charlies In Pattaya Exclusive Thread

syd barrett

So now Pattaya is full of self made millionaire down to earth Alan Sugars? lmfao what planet do you people come from?

Many of these cheap charlies are pouncing, incapacity benefit claiming scum bags who've never done a days work in their lives. Pattaya is full of them if you don't know that or not aware of that then your about as switched on as broken headlight.

There are many good people here and on the other hand the ones that continually go on and on about ridiculous ways of saving a few baht are a total waste of space.

If i ever saw anyone kick a beggar out the way i would kick "them" up and down the soi "Mr Barret"

• Like 1

• Replies 213
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

........repeating the mantra 'look after #1'.

Pride comes before a fall.

We should all "look out for no. 1", and not expect someone else to look out for us. The US and the UK would be far better places to live if everyone (at least the majority) has that value. That is, I think, the real purpose of living frugally, i.e., living within one's means (what ever that level may be), so that we will always be able to take care of ourselves and those we are responsible for no matter what comes our way. No one has a crystal ball or can control (at least not completely) the future, so living like there will be a tomorrow and you will be responsible for your own "maintenance" should be a part of everyone's objective/behavior. The people living in Pattaya on a shoestring (those that came to Thailand because it is (actually, was) cheap and little more) do so in many cases because of poor personal decisions in the past, and they will now suffer as a result. They are certainly not people to take guidance from, and are often people to pity and to avoid. But the people looking for good deals and ways to stretch their budget so that they can have more of what they enjoy and will be self supporting throughout their lives are to be congratualted and encouraged, not criticized. They are doing it the right way, and probably enjoying life more than most at the same time. "Thumbs up" for the Cheap Charlies.

• Like 2

........repeating the mantra 'look after #1'.

Pride comes before a fall.

We should all "look out for no. 1", and not expect someone else to look out for us. The US and the UK would be far better places to live if everyone (at least the majority) has that value. That is, I think, the real purpose of living frugally, i.e., living within one's means (what ever that level may be), so that we will always be able to take care of ourselves and those we are responsible for no matter what comes our way. No one has a crystal ball or can control (at least not completely) the future, so living like there will be a tomorrow and you will be responsible for your own "maintenance" should be a part of everyone's objective/behavior. The people living in Pattaya on a shoestring (those that came to Thailand because it is (actually, was) cheap and little more) do so in many cases because of poor personal decisions in the past, and they will now suffer as a result. They are certainly not people to take guidance from, and are often people to pity and to avoid. But the people looking for good deals and ways to stretch their budget so that they can have more of what they enjoy and will be self supporting throughout their lives are to be congratualted and encouraged, not criticized. They are doing it the right way, and probably enjoying life more than most at the same time. "Thumbs up" for the Cheap Charlies.

Well put!

In the five years of living in Pattaya almost every cheap charlie type character I have had the misfortune of coming across have all been either bitter or hate the Thais or themsleves or all three together, strange that.

None of them have been the smiling type full of the joys of spring or have anything remotely instresting to say other then how life is so crap with a face like their last partner screwed them over for every penny they had.

While it is true tha some CCs go to extreme lengths to save a baht, I've also observed a few expats with the "two week millionaire's" syndrom. For a while they live the life of a rich man but they are soon broke and back home looking for a job or barely making it on unemployment.

The wise expat lives within his means :D

......the ones that continually go on and on about ridiculous ways of saving a few baht are a total waste of space.

So people who want to save money are a waste of space?

Latest Tip:

Carrefour (Pattaya Klang) has a generic branded coffee (soft pack) on sale: 200g of instant coffee for the same price as 100g of Nescafe.

I think a better term might be Frugal Freddy as opposed to Cheap Charlie. There is a big difference...I am not poor, but frugal for sure.

My theory is that no car, cell phone, entertainment system is worth my freedom. In othe words, if being a Frugal Freddy/Cheap Charlie allows me to travel and spend my time as I please, then I can forgo the material stuff :D

PS-Congrats on coining the Frugal Freddy tag; I like it :D

I think a better term might be Frugal Freddy as opposed to Cheap Charlie. There is a big difference...I am not poor, but frugal for sure.

My theory is that no car, cell phone, entertainment system is worth my freedom. In othe words, if being a Frugal Freddy/Cheap Charlie allows me to travel and spend my time as I please, then I can forgo the material stuff :D

hey give me credit the Frugal Freddy group is my tag. We meet every Monday at a Frugal, or affordable or Premium restaurant in Pattaya. The affordable or premium category give us each a 20% discount off of our bill. Last night we met at Little Italy on 2nd road, there were 26 of us some of whom got on my e-mail list from this posting.

PM or e-mail if you want to get on the mailing list weekly.

hey give me credit the Frugal Freddy group is my tag. We meet every Monday at a Frugal, or affordable or Premium restaurant in Pattaya. The affordable or premium category give us each a 20% discount off of our bill. Last night we met at Little Italy on 2nd road, there were 26 of us some of whom got on my e-mail list from this posting.

PM or e-mail if you want to get on the mailing list weekly.

Sorry! I for sure was thinking of your group when I posted that name. But, I have heard it before. Where I use to live, there is a store called Fred Meyers and they had "Frugal Fred's" specials all the time. But, love your groups mission and hope to be able to join you soon....good stuff!!!!!

It must be a sad life for a lot of posters when they spend their days looking for the cheapest beer, coffee, restaurant, dinner deals, toilet rolls etc in Pattaya.

The whole point of living in a place like Pattaya is so that you don't have to worry about that sort of stuff because you took your money from a western country to live a better quality of life in Pattaya.

While I don't believe in paying over the odds for anything I would much prefer to spend my time making money rather than looking at ways to say a few baht here and there.

The fact that this thread has gone on for five pages bears testimony to the fact that Pattaya is full of cheap charlies.

• Like 1

It must be a sad life for a lot of posters when they spend their days looking for the cheapest beer, coffee, restaurant, dinner deals, toilet rolls etc in Pattaya.

Look at my avatar do I look sad?

I derive great pleasure from bargain hunting and saving money. The money saved I spend on luxuries at Christmas & New Year.

A baht saved is a baht earned.

Yes, there are a lot of C/C's in Pattaya, but that is because so many people are on a fixed income (pension or benefits) and are suffering from the strength of the Thai currency.

The whole point of living in a place like Pattaya is so that you don't have to worry about that sort of stuff because you took your money from a western country to live a better quality of life in Pattaya.

While I don't believe in paying over the odds for anything I would much prefer to spend my time making money rather than looking at ways to say a few baht here and there.

The fact that this thread has gone on for five pages bears testimony to the fact that Pattaya is full of cheap charlies.

I worked for PriceWaterhouse as an auditor and have an MBA in corporate finance. If you can buy beer for 68 vs 74 Baht, that is a savings of 6 Baht, or about 8%...not counting the effects of tax (i.e. in my situation, that would be a savings of around 11% before tax). I do plenty of investments. And to earn 11% now is extremely good. It is a safe and guaranteed investment. Unlike pretty much everything else I invest in!!!!! :bah:

I use to subscribe to a magazine called Personal Finance. It always said the easiest way to make money, is to save. Pretty much fool proof! :D

I've never done well in the stock market...and hate research...but finding a cheaper place to buy beer...well, I'm all for that!!!! :jap:

I worked for PriceWaterhouse as an auditor and have an MBA in corporate finance. If you can buy beer for 68 vs 74 Baht, that is a savings of 6 Baht, or about 8%...not counting the effects of tax (i.e. in my situation, that would be a savings of around 11% before tax). I do plenty of investments. And to earn 11% now is extremely good. It is a safe and guaranteed investment. Unlike pretty much everything else I invest in!!!!! :bah:

I use to subscribe to a magazine called Personal Finance. It always said the easiest way to make money, is to save. Pretty much fool proof! :D

I've never done well in the stock market...and hate research...but finding a cheaper place to buy beer...well, I'm all for that!!!! :jap:

I suggest you read or research Warren Buffet's model of value investing and selecting stocks based on them being at a discount to their intrinsic value and you might be able to make a lot more money without having to worry about saving 5 baht here or there.

I suggest you read or research Warren Buffet's model of value investing and selecting stocks based on them being at a discount to their intrinsic value and you might be able to make a lot more money without having to worry about saving 5 baht here or there.

I think you missed my point. I HATE investment research. Not sure why I ever majored in finance (with an econ minor). Luckily, software turned out great for me.

Sure, Buffet has done very well with his investments...except in 2009:

-------------------------------------------

Berkshire Hathaway Inc., the company Buffett has led as chairman for more than four decades, advanced 2.7 percent on the New York Stock Exchange in 2009, less than the 23 percent return in the Standard & Poor’s 500 Index.

-------------------------------------------

He does beat the index 2/3rd's of the time...but does worse 1/3rd of the time. I can guarantee you 11% on that beer purchase. Something you will never get with pretty much any other investment...and you can enjoy your success with a nice cold one! :)

OK, back on topic, my cc tip is Duang Dee Thai coffee, 500g, only B163.50 at Foodland.

Oh, and off topic, its true that we cheap chariels are miserable and have uclers from constant worry that we may have over paid 50 satang for an item. Most of us don't go out, we lock ourselves in our cramped, miserable -but low rent- rooms and laugh demonically while we play with our one and five baht coins, our savings on various purchases. Silas Marner am I :D

PS-But we are still here and stil solvent :cheesy:

:whistling: A fool and his money is soon ------.B)

Your typical Pattaya expat has 60k baht in income a month. That's not luxury living. Even on 60k a month, you have to be kind of cheap charlish.

Nah, the cheap pussy makes up for it and more.

Where you been? Western countries are all bankrupt; their currencies are just pesos now.

Well, then you can't come & enjoy paradise with us. Have fun freezin' your nuts off over there and making your way through the porkers--forever.

Why pay more when you can pay less? The five pages merely attests to the abundance of bargains to be had.

OK, back on topic, my cc tip is Duang Dee Thai coffee, 500g, only B163.50 at Foodland.

Oh, and off topic, its true that we cheap chariels are miserable and have uclers from constant worry that we may have over paid 50 satang for an item. Most of us don't go out, we lock ourselves in our cramped, miserable -but low rent- rooms and laugh demonically while we play with our one and five baht coins, our savings on various purchases. Silas Marner am I :D

PS-But we are still here and stil solvent :cheesy:

If you go to Makro you can a 1 Kg. bag of Khao Shong Roasted & Ground coffee for 299B.

Nah, the cheap pussy makes up for it and more.

Where you been? Western countries are all bankrupt; their currencies are just pesos now.

Well, then you can't come & enjoy paradise with us. Have fun freezin' your nuts off over there and making your way through the porkers--forever.

Why pay more when you can pay less? The five pages merely attests to the abundance of bargains to be had.

Actually you are wrong on a number of points.

First of I am working in Australia at the moment which is not bankrupt and in fact is doing very well economically.

Secondly it is not cold here even in winter.

Thirdly there is plenty of quality Asian women here especially Korean who are hotter than a lot of the Thais IMHO.

And suprisingly they are not that expensive.

Fourthly I still spend a lot of time in Thailand so I don't really miss it and I can make much more money 500k baht net a month in Oz which i could never make in Thailand.

Your typical Pattaya expat has 60k baht in income a month. That's not luxury living. Even on 60k a month, you have to be kind of cheap charlish.

60k baht a month is not near enough to retire in Thailand imho.

To live decently you need to aim at least double that amount circ 120k a month.

Sure you can get by on 60k a month and for some people who are too old to work any longer that may be what they have to do but far too many guys go to Pattaya and retire too early with not enough money when they could have worked a few more years and had a much better standard of living.

Starting with that <deleted> again. 60 k not enuf la...effin da.

60k is enuf, 45k is enuf, some are living here happily on 20k a month (no rent to pay on that though). Life is what you make of it. Everyone is different and has different needs. I do not own a car and never will, that is one expense I don't have to care about. 99 perecent of my meals are Thai food, which is what I want so meal expenses are low, etc. I know others who never eat Thai food and their grocery bills are enormous. Like I say just because 60k is too little for you does not mean it is too little for others. Man why do I belabour this point.

Yours,

A happy tight arsed git.

I know plenty of folks living on 60k Baht per month (equivalent) back in the USA. And they are quite happy. For sure not rich, but not working, soaking up the sun, and playing horseshoes every day...along with plenty of beer. Not a bad life.

I could still be working and making good money...but retiring at 47 was not a bad move...it just means I do need to be a bit of a "frugal freddy"!!!!

60k baht a month is not near enough to retire in Thailand imho.

To live decently you need to aim at least double that amount circ 120k a month.

Sure you can get by on 60k a month and for some people who are too old to work any longer that may be what they have to do but far too many guys go to Pattaya and retire too early with not enough money when they could have worked a few more years and had a much better standard of living.

It's enough. I just finished eating at a little Thai restaurant the other day and the bill came to a whopping 30 baht. Now, it may not be the nicest looking place, but it had good food. So living on 60k is enough, just not enough if you want to live luxuriously.