Cheap Charlies In Pattaya Exclusive Thread

syd barrett

Cheap: When a friend stops by and you make two cups of tea from one tea bag.

Frugal: When you're at home and you make two cups of tea for yourself from one tea bag.

Perfect. Luckily, I am in the frugal category!

Here is something we do quite often. Rather than a night out on the town, which for a group, can run into the thousands of baht, we take turns and get together at each others house every other week or so. Much cheaper, better food, and lots of fun...luckily, everybody always chips in with a bottle of wine, bottle of vodka, or whatever.

• Replies 213
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

<br />Cheap:    When a friend stops by and you make two cups of tea from one tea bag.<br /><br /><br />Frugal:   When you're at home and you make two cups of tea for yourself from one tea bag.<br />
<br /><br /><br />

Or...Tetley for me and Lipton for the Guests !

It must be a sad life for a lot of posters when they spend their days looking for the cheapest beer, coffee, restaurant, dinner deals, toilet rolls etc in Pattaya.

Nah, the cheap pussy makes up for it and more.

The whole point of living in a place like Pattaya is so that you don't have to worry about that sort of stuff because you took your money from a western country to live a better quality of life in Pattaya.

Where you been? Western countries are all bankrupt; their currencies are just pesos now.

While I don't believe in paying over the odds for anything I would much prefer to spend my time making money rather than looking at ways to say a few baht here and there.

Well, then you can't come & enjoy paradise with us. Have fun freezin' your nuts off over there and making your way through the porkers--forever.

The fact that this thread has gone on for five pages bears testimony to the fact that Pattaya is full of cheap charlies.

Why pay more when you can pay less? The five pages merely attests to the abundance of bargains to be had.

Actually you are wrong on a number of points.

First of I am working in Australia at the moment which is not bankrupt and in fact is doing very well economically.

Secondly it is not cold here even in winter.

Fourthly I still spend a lot of time in Thailand so I don't really miss it and I can make much more money 500k baht net a month in Oz which i could never make in Thailand.

Hate to say this but actually you are wrong on most of your points!

Winter in Australia is very cold particularly in the southern states

Having lived in Australia for 49 years and now in Thailand for two years I still love Australia .But I sure as hel_l do not miss the extremely cold winters

As for you earning a reasonable salary good luck to you mate. Enjoy your visit to Australia and the economy there is going well isn't it.

I guess if you choose not to save money as the other posters choose to do that is your choice.

More power to you mate but why criticise others who want or need to save their baht?:blink:

Edited by Rimmer
Discussion of prostitution and its specifics is forbidden

Nothing wrong with watching the pennies if you're lookin for value.

When I stay in patts, it's in the Bookow area.; Great rooms at great rates. Where else can you get a 50sq m room with a 42" TV, sofa, dvd and KS bed for 600b. This is typical of the area.

Then, when drinking, I'll go to Pattaya New Plaza where the beer is the same as in WS and Sois 7, 8,etc but costs 45b a bottle. The girls are all Thai too!

To get there from Bkk, I ride my bike down. This costs about 120b in gas is over 50% cheaper than the bus and saves 150b per day motorbike rental when I get there.

Doing this means I can have aw/end in patts for less than anite out in Bkk.

It ain't Cheap Charlie, it's effin sensible.

Compare it to the eejit who goes down on the bus, stays in a small, overpriced, lacking in facilities, hotel room, hires abike or travels around by baht bus, and drinks in the tourist areas at 100+ a bottle.

Silly boys.

60k baht a month is not near enough to retire in Thailand imho.

To live decently you need to aim at least double that amount circ 120k a month.

Sure you can get by on 60k a month and for some people who are too old to work any longer that may be what they have to do but far too many guys go to Pattaya and retire too early with not enough money when they could have worked a few more years and had a much better standard of living.

Before retiring I asked a buddy who had spent considerable time in Ecuador what an annual retirement budget would be. "Oh $80 to $100k US..." was his immediate reply. &lt;deleted&gt;? And this was circa 2002....

In his mind, any decent retirement would require: domestic helpers, gardners, drivers, cars, four bed room/five bath homes... you get the picture.

60k is more than enough to live on in Pattaya-for me. Some guys will tell you that not even 120k THB is enough. What ever.

Think about it, Thailand is not a first world country and some folks insist on value for money. One reason many guys settle here -besides the obvious- is that its warm, has a beach (OK, OK..) and its relatively cheap. If it gets relatively expensive, some folks will move on... and not all of them will do so because they are broke :D

Sure you can get by on 60k a month and for some people who are too old to work any longer that may be what they have to do but far too many guys go to Pattaya and retire too early with not enough money when they could have worked a few more years and had a much better standard of living.

Before retiring I asked a buddy who had spent considerable time in Ecuador what an annual retirement budget would be. "Oh $80 to $100k US..." was his immediate reply. &lt;deleted&gt;? And this was circa 2002....

In his mind, any decent retirement would require: domestic helpers, gardners, drivers, cars, four bed room/five bath homes... you get the picture.

60k is more than enough to live on in Pattaya-for me. Some guys will tell you that not even 120k THB is enough. What ever.

Think about it, Thailand is not a first world country and some folks insist on value for money. One reason many guys settle here -besides the obvious- is that its warm, has a beach (OK, OK..) and its relatively cheap. If it gets relatively expensive, some folks will move on... and not all of them will do so because they are broke :D

I suppose it is all relative but if you are used to a certain standard of living you don't want to go backwards.

eg if you are making 100k a year it would be very difficult to retire on an income of 30k a year.

My figures of 120k baht a month are based on living in a nice house with a decent car, having regular holidays and saving a bit.

That is the lifestyle i am used to in the west and i certainly wouldn't wont to come to a country with a lot lower standard of living and downgrade. What would be the point of coming if that was the case?

BTW To live a comparitive lifestyle in retirement in Oz it would probably be more like 180k -200k a month.

I suppose it is all relative but if you are used to a certain standard of living you don't want to go backwards.

eg if you are making 100k a year it would be very difficult to retire on an income of 30k a year.

My figures of 120k baht a month are based on living in a nice house with a decent car, having regular holidays and saving a bit.

That is the lifestyle i am used to in the west and i certainly wouldn't wont to come to a country with a lot lower standard of living and downgrade. What would be the point of coming if that was the case?

BTW To live a comparitive lifestyle in retirement in Oz it would probably be more like 180k -200k a month.

I have no need for a car since I have no job. On the street I live on are loads of restaurants, so I just walk. Saves me a bundle.

my figures of 120k baht a month are based on living in a nice house with a decent car, having regular holidays and saving a bit.

Maybe thats the difference. I have no pension, so I live off savings/investments. My budget is what I ctually spend. If I were working in Pattaya, no way would I do so for 120k a month if I wanted to save for retirement.

180k+ per month to retire in Oz? No thanks :D

For sure 120k Baht a month is a good figure to live a very nice lifestyle here. That's about my budget also. But I can see how you can easily live here for 1/2 that.

I have a friend who is struggling to survive on 300k per month! But I must say, I was impressed with his 100 bottle wine cooler filled with champagne and imported wine!

It's not a matter of how much you are making a year, but how much of what you are making is spent to live off for a year.

So if you make 100k a year but spend 30k a year to live then retiring on 30k a year will maintain your standard of living.

Edited by PattayaParent

It's not a matter of how much you are making a year, but how much of what you are making is spent to live off for a year.

So if you make 100k a year but spend 30k a year to live then retiring on 30k a year will maintain your standard of living.

Correct no argument there.

6ok a month is a more than adequate income.

There's many in western countries would love that anount coming in as a pension.

Here, with everything much cheaper, I reckon it equates to a pension of 30k pounds pa in the uk.

How on earth can you not retire ion that.

As for a pension of 180k baht pm for oz; that, mate is more than australia's average salary.

Get real!

Edited by Soi Sauce

There's many in western countries would love that anount coming in as a pension.

Here, with everything much cheaper, I reckon it equates to a pension of 30k pounds pa in the uk.

As for a pension of 18k pm for oz; that, mate is more than australia's average salary.

Get real!

Where do you get figures of 18k per month for living in Oz?

At 180k-200k baht per month you are looking at 6k or 7k AUD per month as a comfortable retirement in Oz imho.

As for a pension of 18k pm for oz; that, mate is more than australia's average salary.

Get real!

Where do you get figures of 18k per month for living in Oz?

At 180k-200k baht per month you are looking at 6k or 7k AUD per month as a comfortable retirement in Oz imho.

My post sez 180k which is about 3,700 pounds a month or getting on for 45k a year. Almost 75% above the UK average wage.

Even in developed countries, only a small majority earn that sort of wedge, hence get real.

With even offshore investment not paying too much over 2% at the moment, you'd need a capitol sum of around 1 mill uk to get that return.

I'm sure the average, even above average, Joe has that.

Edited by Soi Sauce

How did a cheap charlie thread turn into a "how much do you need to retire in Thailand" thread ? :blink:

My thoughts too. :annoyed:

Future posts on topic please, as this topic is of interest to many, irrespective of their socio-economic backgroad or whether they like offal. :rolleyes:

How did a cheap charlie thread turn into a "how much do you need to retire in Thailand" thread ? :blink:

because there are so many dips-sticks on this forum who have 'my dick is bigger than yours syndrome' ..

Your right,I only drink the Cheers beer &lt;deleted&gt; in Carrefour fully covered,head and face(drink with a straw) then buy a jugful , bag it up in a plastic bag and take it home

80 baht massages on Soi Excite. B)

It can be compared to others all at 80 Baht, I go from slow starter to rocket man,depends what treatment is offered.

Edited by jori

In Tesco Lotus North Pattaya, opposite the toilets on the ground floor, there is a ฿20 shop called the Pink Shop that sells various bric-a-brac. About a week ago I bought a hot glue gun from Lotus at ฿89, only to discover this shop this week selling the same item for ฿20. Lots of stuff, LED torches, some kitchen stuff, other household items, some kids toys, all for ฿20. Its worth a look.

Jump rope at the sports shop costs about ฿100, almost same cord/plastic tubing from Home Pro costs about ฿6 per meter. I can't believe I mentioned that one, I only know cause I got some plastic tubing for the garden irrigation. Honestly.

Prices of some of the 2 for 1 packs on shop shelves cost more than buying two individual of the same product. An example I can think of is toothpaste. I expect that Cheap Charlies would reuse their ฿8/pack Dentyne chewing gum from the previous day, just as well they come in a little try then.

Edited by TomBrown

because there are so many dips-sticks on this forum who have 'my dick is bigger than yours syndrome' ..

"How you know"????????????????:blink::blink::blink:

Cheap: When a friend stops by and you make two cups of tea from one tea bag.

Frugal: When you're at home and you make two cups of tea for yourself from one tea bag.

For British tea drinkers.

Avoid Lipton's Tea like the plague.

Bring decent tea from the UK such as Typhoo or Tetleys. The cheap brands of tea in Lidl's stores are a false economy.

The soft water in Pattaya will enable you to get 3 MUGS of tea from each tea bag then peg the tea bag up on a washing line outside in the garden or on your balcony until it is quite dry.

After a couple of hours in the tropical climate of Pattaya the tea bag will have recovered sufficient strength for those of us who appreciate fine tea to get yet another mugful of the beverage. This peculiar phenomenon is due to the fact that wet tea leaves recover their flavour if permitted to dry out.

Edited by yogi100

A tip for the thrifty smoker.

All hotels in Pattaya do not permit smoking in their lifts or elevators as our transatlantic friends refer to them so the hotels position ash trays by the doors to said conveyances.

The thrifty smoker can wander into the foyer of any hotel and adopt the demeanor of a fellow who is waiting to meet a friend or acquaintance. He should then wander over to where the lift doors are situated where he can gather all the dog ends or butts that smokers have extinguished before entering the lift.

To avoid embarrassment you should first ensure that no members of staff can observe this activity. You should place the half smoked cigarettes nonchalantly in a pocket or some other suitable receptacle and casually vacate the estabishment and move on to the next hotel where you can then repeat the procedure.

Three or four visits to hotels should ensure that you have enough smokes for that day. Should you wish to shred the dog ends and 'roll your own' the cheapest Rizlas are to be found at the Friendship supermarket on South Pattaya Road.

Your right,I only drink the Cheers beer &lt;deleted&gt; in Carrefour fully covered,head and face(drink with a straw) then buy a jugful , bag it up in a plastic bag and take it home

Buy the bottles of Cheers 'cos you get 2 glassfuls from it which is cheaper than buying 2 glasses of the draft.

OOOOOOH thats a bit strong-penis pleaseeeeeeeee:whistling:

Buy the bottles of Cheers 'cos you get 2 glassfuls from it which is cheaper than buying 2 glasses of the draft.

...and the TGF can sell the bottles after drinking