Thai Immigration Introduces Jail Time For Overstayers

A welcome move. Let us just hope they stick with it.

now....lets wait for the "if it wasn't for me, Thailand would fall in a heap" replies.

A welcome move, indeed.

Uh-huh. I bet all you hardline bad-asses never been stuck in a foreign lockup. Yu're all mouth and no knowledge. Those of your ilk would be on yur knees in a jiffy! :whistling:

Why give an amnesty - if you overstay then you have broken the law. You do not do it accidentally you set out to do it so take the punishment. I am all for the law being applied fairly and firmly. A period in the slammer would at least go some way to making sure these people do not do it again but I think it should be a day for day punishment overstay 50 days then 50 days inside. Blacklisting is pointless as it only ensures that the passport does not return to the kingdom it does nothing to stop the person getting a new passport and re-entering under a new name etc etc.

As soon as Thailand does something positriver everyone thinks they do it for money - well I can asure you that most countries have strict immigration laws and they apply them - Thailand tolerates foreigners and we should never forget we are mere visitors in the kingdom and should act accordingly.

Put them in the slammer day for day.

you know your all bloody heart Meaowma I just hope you never break the law but then I suppose you to holy for that

How about if you overstay the 90-days report to the immigration office, having a one-year visa? Is there a fine too if you forgot to report after 90 days, let's say two weeks too late?

Earlier this month I had to pay a 2,000 baht fine for being 1 week late with the 90-day report.

The fine amount and conditions are now mentioned on the current 90-day form.

now....lets wait for the "if it wasn't for me, Thailand would fall in a heap" replies.

A welcome move, indeed.

Uh-huh. I bet all you hardline bad-asses never been stuck in a foreign lockup. Yu're all mouth and no knowledge. Those of your ilk would be on yur knees in a jiffy! :whistling:

A decade and a half in Thailand under my belt and visiting a load of developing countries for work and pleasure. I don't make a habit of running foul of the law.

21 pages filled with (sorry to say) mostly careworn comments. You stay here then please do so accepting Thai laws. You don't like them... get out.

There are hundreds of other topics with pages over pages of complaints how Thai authorities fail to enforce the law.

And that pages hit the spot. I believe that the one thing Thailand really needs is the understanding that rule of law (and sticking to it regardless who you're dealing with, rich or poor, influential or not) is the key in turning this country away from it corrupt practices.

So,if it comes to immigration law... go with it and you won't have a problem while passing Suvarnabhumi. Stop ranting and safe your breath to get a visa renewal on time.

How about if you overstay the 90-days report to the immigration office, having a one-year visa? Is there a fine too if you forgot to report after 90 days, let's say two weeks too late?

Earlier this month I had to pay a 2,000 baht fine for being 1 week late with the 90-day report.

The fine amount and conditions are now mentioned on the current 90-day form.

To be fined THB 2000 you were more than a week late, you have 7 days grace period after your reporting date....

Also on 90 days report, if pre-arranged with immigration office, being a few weeks late is not a big deal, no fine applicable either....know this from personal experience

Anyhow, I'm up for an amnesty on overstayers, there is no argument for imprisoning people who are trying to leave the country!

if they did not try to leave thailand ,

there would be no problem . :whistling:

The problem with that is; If ur overstay, even one day, ur breaking the law. If you go to imigration and pay fine and leave its cool. BUT if u happen to be in the wrong place at the wrong time and they ask for ur passport and see ur over. Its go directly to jail, do not pass go, Stay there until they deport u ( on ur money) and ur then Blacklisted and cannot return ( at least with that name and passport)

Is it worth the chance??

Not for me, especially as it so fuc_king easy to head to Penang. Vientene /Phnom Penh and pick up a FREE 60 day visa and then extend for another 30 days for 1,900 baht.

To all u that over stay, unless its medical, i have zero sympathy for u

Hello!

what whould happen,when someone,short before the visa is runing out and the person have to go to hospital?

same then normal overstaying,or how then will be the diffrence in the visa law?

who have the be informed first?

when it should not posible after a acsident or whatevver-?

is a blacklist forever,or can also be removed,after a couple of years?

on internet i read some reports,that planing in the future,a visa for all countrys,like here in eu!

You can get an extension of stay, based on a certified letter from a hospital or doctor, giving medical reasons why you can't travel etc. I think it was 60 or 90 days. Same goes if you have to appear in court for any reason, outside the time on your visa. I have not done this myself, but an acquaintance at BKK immigration told me of it. He did say that one should first sort it out at the office where you live, before leaving. A young Brit teacher I met at the court house last year, was doing 3 months community work for use and possession of a couple of joints. His passport was held until he completed the service, then he was free to do a re-entry and work again. No blacklisting. He had a paper from the court to show immigration. I think he was very lucky, but my point is valid.

Edited by newtronbom

A welcome move, indeed.

Uh-huh.  I bet all you hardline bad-asses never been stuck in a foreign lockup. Yu're all mouth and no knowledge.  Those of your ilk would be on yur knees in a jiffy! :whistling:

I am one of those "hardline bad-asses" you are referring to.   I did 21 months inside a foreign lockup.  No I am not all mouth I go and dig people out of the IDC everyday cause 21 months no one did a thing for me.

BB

You're indeed self righteous enough to be favored in this country.

A welcome move, indeed.

A decade and a half in Thailand under my belt and visiting a load of developing countries for work and pleasure. I don't make a habit of running foul of the law.

It is funny really that people complain all the time that the police do not enforce the law. The when they do people call "foul". Let's face facts here, it isn't rocket science to make sure that you do not overstay a visa or fail to report on time. If someone cannot look at the date they should leave or renew a visa or extension, even the 90 day report tells you what day to report again, how on earth do they manage to organise their lives? Whatever their excuse is for failing to leave, renew, or repoert, then it is just that, an excuse for breaking the law. No use complaining that getting caught breaking the law and being punished is unfair.

The difference people who are staying here long term vs people who come here for work and pleasure is that travelers have a more legitimate reason for being here than. They are hear for work, and/or pleasure and have enough quality of experience to do what is necessary to thrive in whatever they endeavor when in Asia. You're reason for being here is nine times out of ten, marriage. This goes out to the relatively small group of middle aged, (life-spent in frivolity), failed once-family men whom could not deal with the reality of their actual lives, so they seek redemption in marrying a Thai, and/or escaping to a place where they have no history. Yes, indeed you will make it one of your top priorities to be a good-boy, and wholesome as you can from here on out. For the rest of us, we are still creating our reality by seeking any means possible to enrich our life experiences. Enrich individuals have a positive impact on not just those immediately around them, but on societies as a whole. You aren't positively influencing anyone's lives except the small group of (mostly elder men) who now call this place home/refuge from the past. The only comments admin deletes as "off topic" are the ones they cant accept.

It is funny really that people complain all the time that the police do not enforce the law. The when they do people call "foul". Let's face facts here, it isn't rocket science to make sure that you do not overstay a visa or fail to report on time. If someone cannot look at the date they should leave or renew a visa or extension, even the 90 day report tells you what day to report again, how on earth do they manage to organise their lives? Whatever their excuse is for failing to leave, renew, or repoert, then it is just that, an excuse for breaking the law. No use complaining that getting caught breaking the law and being punished is unfair.

The difference people who are staying here long term vs people who come here for work and pleasure is that travelers have a more legitimate reason for being here than. They are hear for work, and/or pleasure and have enough quality of experience to do what is necessary to thrive in whatever they endeavor when in Asia. You're reason for being here is nine times out of ten, marriage. This goes out to the relatively small group of middle aged, (life-spent in frivolity), failed once-family men whom could not deal with the reality of their actual lives, so they seek redemption in marrying a Thai, and/or escaping to a place where they have no history. Yes, indeed you will make it one of your top priorities to be a good-boy, and wholesome as you can from here on out. For the rest of us, we are still creating our reality by seeking any means possible to enrich our life experiences. Enrich individuals have a positive impact on not just those immediately around them, but on societies as a whole. You aren't positively influencing anyone's lives except the small group of (mostly elder men) who now call this place home/refuge from the past. The only comments admin deletes as "off topic" are the ones they cant accept.

I think that 42 days is over the top before they stick you in the slammer, it should be more like 10 days without a very good reason.

This is already proven to be a ghost post from previous articles ages ago in Pattaya One. It is not George's origination. If you are up to it check Immigration - nothing has changed since 1979 and as long as you turn up with the 20k on overstay you will be allowed to leave. They don't want you here at their 'Detention Centre' as the place would be full. A contact of mine in Swampy said they normally process around 60 a day so it is a good money spinner and I bet a lot of that does not go to consolidated revenue - only a rubber stamp in the unlucky passport holders book to warn Immigration next entry and no paper work on exit. This article is the new Pattaya One's sensationalising press by some dumb ass stringer to get paid by the word.

...only a rubber stamp in the unlucky passport holders book to warn Immigration next entry and no paper work on exit...

This subject interests me. Would you be so kind as to post the full details of how your overstay was processed at the airport, step by step, from the moment you presented your passport at the immigration counter until you got it back and were allowed to proceed to the transit area? What questions, if any, were you asked? Did you have to sign any paper? Were you given any paper, for example a receipt for the fine you paid? Etc.

...only a rubber stamp in the unlucky passport holders book to warn Immigration next entry and no paper work on exit...

This subject interests me. Would you be so kind as to post the full details of how your overstay was processed at the airport, step by step, from the moment you presented your passport at the immigration counter until you got it back and were allowed to proceed to the transit area? What questions, if any, were you asked? Did you have to sign any paper? Were you given any paper, for example a receipt for the fine you paid? Etc.

Why....are you afraid you might be going to a Thai nick ?....:whistling:

The difference people who are staying here long term vs people who come here for work and pleasure is that travelers have a more legitimate reason for being here than.

They are hear for work, and/or pleasure and have enough quality of experience to do what is necessary to thrive in whatever they endeavor when in Asia. You're reason for being here is nine times out of ten, marriage. This goes out to the relatively small group of middle aged, (life-spent in frivolity), failed once-family men whom could not deal with the reality of their actual lives, so they seek redemption in marrying a Thai, and/or escaping to a place where they have no history. Yes, indeed you will make it one of your top priorities to be a good-boy, and wholesome as you can from here on out. For the rest of us, we are still creating our reality by seeking any means possible to enrich our life experiences. Enrich individuals have a positive impact on not just those immediately around them, but on societies as a whole. You aren't positively influencing anyone's lives except the small group of (mostly elder men) who now call this place home/refuge from the past. The only comments admin deletes as "off topic" are the ones they cant accept.

I think that 42 days is over the top before they stick you in the slammer, it should be more like 10 days without a very good reason.

Are you saying if that you are young and don't have experience in anything in particular, think you are one of god's gifts to the world, have no regard for the laws of the land because they don't apply you one so smart and worldly as yourself meaning that you are entitled to do what ever you like - well think again because you are so way-off the mark - making you either very naive or a little challenged in the thinking department.

<snip> the lesson here is to check your passport just in case the Thai who stamps it is not doing there job properly.

And no I will not go back in October.

There used to be a room at Bangkok Immigration in Suan Phlu called "Correcting Passport Stamp Problems" - or something like that.

I don't know if there's such a room at the new place.

Time, we here in Europe are going to do the same, as now: no visa means" illegal", but NOT punishable, as long as you did not do anything criminal. Many Thais are staying here illegal for a decade of more.

Remind: prostitution is NOT criminal !

When LEGAL here in Netherlands: after 3 years you can apply for Dutch citizenship, means: right to vote, even right to be elected.

With 8 members of Dutch parliament being of non-European birth, even 2 deputy ministers in Dutch government, and the mayor of Rotterdam being from Marroccan birth..

How many farangs in Thailand are in Thai parliament, mayor of a city or ??

For me: reason to forget the idea of retiring in Thailand, even after doing business since 1978 with that country

Edited by puipuitom

Time, we here in Europe are going to do the same, as now: no visa means" illegal", but NOT punishable, as long as you did not do anything criminal. Many Thais are staying here illegal for a decade of more.

Remind: prostitution is NOT criminal !

When LEGAL here in Netherlands: after 3 years you can apply for Dutch citizenship, means: right to vote, even right to be elected.

With 8 members of Dutch parliament being of non-European birth, even 2 deputy ministers in Dutch government, and the mayor of Rotterdam being from Marroccan birth..

How many farangs in Thailand are in Thai parliament, mayor of a city or ??

For me: reason to forget the idea of retiring in Thailand, even after doing business since 1978 with that country

Thai constitution allows naturalized Thais the right (and obligation) to vote only after 5 years of becoming Thai and that is the only political right they get. They cannot be MPs, senators or ministers etc. Unlike in Holland you have to be born Thai to eligible for political office. On the other hand nearly all of the Thai holders of political office are of Chinese origin.

This looks like a "heads up" for a leaked story that hasnt actually happened yet. Note: The story points to Pattaya One -issue one due out on 1st October 2010. Its currently still September. Pattaya News link has not yet run the story. I even checked the arvhives.

Could this be a "little gift" from Pattaya One to Tjai Visa for signing their joint deal re content sharing starting Oct 1. A story that will be announed on Octber 1, 2010 allowing any overstayers to quickly get out now before the automatic jail-time comes into effect?

i'm not condoning overstayers but just curious. Thoughts anyone?

• Like 1

Most overstays are the result of negligence or not paying attention to the date of the expiry of the stay permit. It has cosseted my wife quite an amount of money and as a total surprise... She didn't had the cash and therefore lost her flight on top of it...

Are overstayers "criminals"? :annoyed: