Gold Snatced

wobblyjohn

The missus and I were traveling in a Songthaew up Naklua road this afternoon, sat towards the back of the bus was a German with his g/f, I must admit I never noticed he had a gold chain on but as we stopped to pick-up more passengers, a motorbike pulls up along side and suddenly he grabs his neck and starts shouting apparently the bike rider had reached in and snatched his 1 baht chain and sped off

His g/f was convinced it was a farang who did it and she just thought it was a friend of his that had stopped to tap him on the shoulder, it's been said many times on here you shouldn't wear gold in Pattaya and obviously this guy doesn't read Thaivisa :unsure:

All the Thais couldn't believe what had just happened, and I must admit I was a little taken aback myself

I bet he won't buy it again

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My advice,at gold now over $1330 an ounce,when you wear A 1 baht or higher gold chain your wearing an investment.

I wouldn't wear A gold chain in thailand or many places around the world.23k is just to expensive.

The average thai maybe makes around 12000 baht A month,maybe.And flaunting A 30000-60000 gold chain,your asking for trouble.Thats just my opinion

My advice,at gold now over $1330 an ounce,when you wear A 1 baht or higher gold chain your wearing an investment.

I wouldn't wear A gold chain in thailand or many places around the world.23k is just to expensive.

The average thai maybe makes around 12000 baht A month,maybe.And flaunting A 30000-60000 gold chain,your asking for trouble.Thats just my opinion

where did you get the idea the average Thai earns 12,000 BHT a month, no where near..:whistling:

where did you get the idea the average Thai earns 12,000 BHT a month, no where near..:whistling:

The average female Thai go-go dancer.

Well you see enough thai birds running around with sh*te load of gold on their person, so I'd say if you keep your wits about you - no problem. These lads only target easy marks.

'All that glitters is not gold' - my Thai wife has a nice gold necklace - but no longer wears it out around Pattaya and has bought a fake gold necklace to wear instead. It looks very realistic. She says neither she nor her Thai friends feel safe wearing gold around Pattaya anymore. She has also stopped using her 'clutch' bag and has a small bag that she wears attached to a belt around her waist to keep her mobile phone and cash. Sad, but an indication of the rapid increase in crime over the last couple of years.

Well you see enough thai birds running around with sh*te load of gold on their person, so I'd say if you keep your wits about you - no problem. These lads only target easy marks.

'All that glitters is not gold' - my Thai wife has a nice gold necklace - but no longer wears it out around Pattaya and has bought a fake gold necklace to wear instead. It looks very realistic. She says neither she nor her Thai friends feel safe wearing gold around Pattaya anymore. She has also stopped using her 'clutch' bag and has a small bag that she wears attached to a belt around her waist to keep her mobile phone and cash. Sad, but an indication of the rapid increase in crime over the last couple of years.

Can you explain how wearing a fake gold necklage improves your safety.Do you suggest that the thieves first gonna test the gold before they pull you off your bike?

Not always true a friend of mine got hit for his 14K farang gold chain. He is over six feet and was on his bike at a red light. Multiple guys snatched his chain and he chased and caught one. Not the one with the chain.

I got hit in Angeles City a few years ago. They knocked me over trying to grab from the back of a motorcycle. They did not get it, but it was enough for me to stop wearing gold. Rings and braclets are better, but yaba heads will try anything.

Edited by PolPat

^maybe, but I'll personally take my chances. My amulet protects me or so says Miss. Brit. :P

I guess if you have the right amulet you will be OK. If your chain gets taken then you must have had the wrong amulet. Makes perfect sense.

Can you explain how wearing a fake gold necklage improves your safety.Do you suggest that the thieves first gonna test the gold before they pull you off your bike?

An interesting point of view. I was not even considering her personal safety, merely the safety of her gold and other valuable assets she used to wear everywhere in Thailand without a second thought. I have just asked her when she stopped wearing expensive items around Pattaya and she said it was around two years ago. She says certainly until 3 years ago and all her life in fact - she would have had no problems weearing gold (anywhere?) in Thailand. I know this is not a scientific study, but I find it an interesting and slightly sad observation.

I have just asked her if she thinks she is personally safer wearing fake jewelry. She says she is less safe as if the (thai) thief finds out its fake they will probably attack her in anger - but at least she would not have had her real necklace stolen so it would have been 'worth' it. B)

Edited by dsfbrit

^exactly!! :lol: But seriously why have anything if you are worried about someone stealing it from you? B)

Trouble is a lot of valuable items were bought years ago when the 'streets' were safe. Whats worse is when the item is stolen, its not only the intrinsic value that is relevant, the sentimental value of a gold item (or any item) is also important - in many cases the sentimental value is what really remains as a bad taste in the mouth long after the cost of replacing the item had been forgotten. Sadly with the lack of tourists and the potential for even less over the coming period (the US dollar hit 29 dollars yesterday) - even that amulet may not be enough to avoid these thugs... by the way - where can I get one these amulets - I have an expensive mobile phone that needs protection :)

Edited by dsfbrit

^exactly!! :lol: But seriously why have anything if you are worried about someone stealing it from you? B)

Trouble is a lot of valuable items were bought years ago when the 'streets' were safe. Whats worse is when the item is stolen, its not only the intrinsic value that is relevant, the sentimental value of a gold item (or any item) is also important - in many cases the sentimental value is what really remains as a bad taste in the mouth long after the cost of replacing the item had been forgotten. Sadly with the lack of tourists and the potential for even less over the coming period (the US dollar hit 29 dollars yesterday) - even that amulet may not be enough to avoid these thugs... by the way - where can I get one these amulets - I have an expensive mobile phone that needs protection :)

i was reliably informed in a bar a couple of afternoons ago---------------see " afternoon drinking ' that a bhuddist prar from wat sattarn in chachoengsoa close to bkk os the one to have