Latest Developments At Cmu Thai Course

elbicho

Idiom:

Fool me once, shame on you; fool me twice, shame on me

Something to reflact on in thinking about the recent events at LICMU.

Agree.

The Language Institute CMU has issued a printed public notice that this whole mess (my phrase not theirs) is "now under police investigation".

No other new info except that "a number of participants had violated their terms and conditions of enrolment and were not undertaking their studies."

This public notice went to all local Hon Consuls and obviously not to thaivisa. I am surprised that this has not been publicised here before.

The news story is on a reliable local website which of course can't be named here. But if you google the phrase 'mychiangmai' and ignore the one with all the pretty photos, you'll get it.

I don't know how this might be done, but as the site carries a lot of interesting little local stories you don't see elsewhere, George might like to consider it as a regular news source.

However, instead of identifying and taking action against those participants who were violating terms and conditions and not undertaking their studies, LICMU chose to punish/cheat all of its students.

• Replies 236
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I received the same email from my teacher. The teacher asked why students had to pay extra (~ 3k baht each in the case of our class for 5 more months), for a course they already payed 30k baht to enroll in. The LICMU manager said that the course had 2 parts - part 1 was the 1yr course ran by IUS that the students will get a refund for asap. Part 2 was the new remaining 5 months of the course that the students pay half the teachers wage for the remaining hours and receive a certification at the end.

It seems like a pretty good deal offered by CMU and I would definitely take it if I could believe they would honor their part of the deal. Obviously, that's not the case.

The two part explanation is true now, the first part where we were receiving the classes we paid for, and the second part in which we were cheated out of these classes. However that is not the way the course we paid for was structured.

CMU seem to be just wanting to find any way to wash their hands of everything rather than taking some responsibility for what happened. The courses ran for a pretty long period, so its not like the courses were suddenly taking place without them knowing. To just say that its nothing to do with them, so goodbye, is unprofessional. Im shocked at CMU's attitude towards students in this.

I quite agree. I would formerly have said, if asked by a prospective-student for a reference, that CMU was a reputable centre-of-learning, however their apparent mishandling of this situation has damaged that reputation. Which is nothing to do with IUS or the Immigration-Department.

To expect some 300 contracted-students from overseas, with money paid up-front for their long-term courses to just go quietly, was a serious misjudgement. If they were concerned about certain courses or profit-sharing/agency deals at LICMU, then a proper exit-plan ought to have been worked out, and implemented over a much-longer period of time.

Heads should roll. :(

To expect some 300 contracted-students from overseas, with money paid up-front for their long-term courses to just go quietly, was a serious misjudgement. If they were concerned about certain courses or profit-sharing/agency deals at LICMU, then a proper exit-plan ought to have been worked out, and implemented over a much-longer period of time.

I agree. whatever their reasons were for ending their relationship with IUS, it's clear they never considered for one moment the situation of 300 foreigners enrolled on courses inside their campus. Thais get shafted like this all the time by senior people/organizations, so I don't think it's a racial thing as this is common behaviour from puu yais. I think it's more an arrogance thing.

I agree. whatever their reasons were for ending their relationship with IUS, it's clear they never considered for one moment the situation of 300 foreigners enrolled on courses inside their campus. Thais get shafted like this all the time by senior people/organizations, so I don't think it's a racial thing as this is common behaviour from puu yais. I think it's more an arrogance thing.

When I first moved to CM an old hand told me if the Thais could figure out a way to get rid of the farangs and keep our money, they'd do it. Looks like that's come true.

We're only finding out how they really feel about us. Most of the time it's disguised.

When I first moved to CM an old hand told me if the Thais could figure out a way to get rid of the farangs and keep our money, they'd do it. Looks like that's come true.

We're only finding out how they really feel about us. Most of the time it's disguised.

I don't agree.

Today's announcement from the CMU Language Institute:

Language Institute Chiang Mai University Announcement

Subject: Notice Regarding International University Service (IUS)

International University Service (IUS) has been advertising on its websites including: www.teflcmu.com , www.studythaicmu.com , www.exchangecmu.com , www.lecturecmu.com and in other types of media, therefore, students have understood that IUS was previously part of Language Institute Chiang Mai University. In addition, many people have continued to enquire about International University Service (IUS) matters.

To clarify, Language Institute Chiang Mai University wishes to inform the following information:

IUS has never been officially approved as a business entity at Language Institute Chiang Mai University.

IUS previously used Language Institute Chiang Mai University's facility and offices to organize language courses, and international businesses, and as of now IUS have already moved off Language Institute Chiang Mai University premises.

IUS had performed similar activities to those of Language Institute Chiang Mai University, but Language Institute Chiang Mai University did not have any involvement. In addition, IUS used Language Institute Chiang Mai University's name and logo to operate which was illegal. Chiang Mai University has already lodged this issue with legal investigators in order to prosecute the responsible offender(s).

Language Institute Chiang Mai University affirms that any actions performed by IUS do not involve Language Institute Chiang Mai University, and are out of Language Institute Chiang Mai University's responsibility.

With this announcement, Language Institute Chiang Mai University demands International University Service (IUS) to immediately cease and desist all activities using Language Institute Chiang Mai University's name in any of their activities. If such action continues, Language Institute Chiang Mai University will be left with little recourse but to issue legal proceedings with those offender(s).

Any person wishes to contact IUS, please directly contact:

Mrs. Sansanee Wannangkoon CEO of IUS Tel. 084-0422727

Mr. Matthew John Kay Director of IUS Tel. 084-8044188

Source: http://www.li.chiangmai.ac.th/

This is a pack of lies. There is no business entity called IUS. International University Services was a department of the Language Institute, CMU. Dr. Matt was has a contract of employment with LICMU which he has been showing everyone. All staff were paid by LICMU - including Dr. Matt; however, in his case, he got a profit share in lieu of wages or salary. The idea that IUS was a business entity was something that Rien latched onto to try to come up with some excuses as to why they had cancelled visas, stopped classes, and were refusing to give students their money back: "Oh! It's not us. It's this company called IUS"

THERE IS NO COMPANY CALLED IUS. DR. MATT WAS AN EMPLOYEE UNDER CONTRACT (SIGNED BY DR. TANNAN FORMER VICE PRESIDENT OF CMU). HE HAS THE CONTRACT OF EMPLOYMENT TO PROVE THAT.

The notion that there was this company called IUS that illegally used CMU or LICMU logos etc. is utter BS!

The police have visited Dr. Matt house and when they saw his contract of employment AND the 26 million baht that had been paid to LICMU, they meekly went away (realizing that they had been lied to by Rien) and have not come back.

Could anyone in the right mind think that all these websites etc were being run for SIX YEARS and CMU had absolutely no knowledge of it - even though CMU was paying all staff involved in the programs AND LICMU WAS PAYING FOR THE WEBSITES! (evidence of this is all held by Dr. Matt).

As a employee of LICMU, Dr. Matt was doing exactly what he was being asked to do - AS AN EMPLOYEE of LICMU.

Again: THERE IS NO SUCH COMPANY (THAI OR FOREIGN) CALLED IUS - a quick search will reveal that. This is a BS story cooked up by Rien.

So what does Rien think that they are going to charge Dr. Matt with? Doing what he was told to do by LICMU?

Oh - and BTW - Rien and his goons are doing everything that they possible can to get Dr. Matt out of the country so that the real story does not emerge.

And the real story is this: CMU and Rien did not want to continue to pay out 40% of profits (per his contract of employment with LICMU) to Dr. Matt - but because Rien and CMU had absolutely no grounds on which to renege on Dr. Matt's contract of employment - Rien began to cancel students' visas and students' classes - thus we have this huge mess!!

Edited by rob101

Following the abrupt ending of Thai visas issued to foreign students taking courses at the Language Institute, Chiang Mai University, the Institute has issued a public notice saying that the matter is under police investigation.

Until August 31st, foreigners enrolling for courses in Thai language and culture were offered, on payment for the course, a visa issued by Chiang Mai Immigration. This offer and the courses were suddenly cancelled last month with many students left without visas and with no explanation or refund of the considerable sums paid.

It is thought that over 300 students of all ages have been affected, and the Australian Honorary Consul of Chiang Mai has received no fewer than 80 complaints from his fellow nationals.

Please make it clear that this is nothing to do with us”

said an Immigration officer.

We have issued visas on paperwork provided by the University. If they don’t give the students the paperwork, we can’t issue visas.”

Australian Dr Matthew Kay of International University Services, which ran the courses at the Language Institute (a faculty of CMU) had already issued an apology to affected students and the media, adding that he was given no reason for the abrupt ending of the courses and visa offer.

The only hint at the cause of this massive disruption is an assertion in the Institute’s public notice that some students had “violated the terms and conditions of enrolment and were not undertaking their studies.”

rob101:

Thanks for sharing your opinion, but I think these kind of accusations are why the other thread is closed. Maybe we can keep this thread to news, experiences and some personal opinions. I'm beginning to think either you're Matt himself or working for the guy...

rob101:

Thanks for sharing your opinion, but I think these kind of accusations are why the other thread is closed. Maybe we can keep this thread to news, experiences and some personal opinions. I'm beginning to think either you're Matt himself or working for the guy...

On the thread that was closed 'Rob101' posted a 'letter' from 'Dr' Matt sent to him. It clearly shows 'Dr' Matt was aware of an entity named IUS.

"Dear 1 Year Thai Language students & Cultural Exchange Program participants,

Firstly, let begin by saying how sorry I am for the interruption to your studies and placements, your visa uncertainties, and for any financial losses you may have incurred.

Secondly, let me explain to you what has happened briefly and how this situation arose:

For a number of years, IUS/International University Services has administered in partnership with LICMU a number of programs for foreigners. Some of these programs have been running for as long as 5 years or more. The nature of the partnership between IUS and LICMU was a 40% (IUS) - 60% (LICMU) split of profits after costs. Recently, it was decided by the incoming new director of LICMU that they did not wish continue any more programs for foreigners at LICMU. Unfortunately, this decision and the procedures by which this transition could be smoothly conducted was never discussed with IUS/International University Services by anyone from either LICMU nor CMU. Instead, what happened was that LICMU ceased to sign any visas necessary for foreign students to study and gave notice that all LICMU classrooms for foreign programs would no longer be available after 30 September 2010.

IUS tried on a number of occasions tried very hard to convince LICMU that this was not a workable solution, and one that would cause much hardship to our students. However, once IUS realized that there would be no change to these decisions, IUS began to try to solve the situation in some other way, and when that could not be done, IUS began to refund money, pay for overstays, and pay bus fares and air tickets for those students most immediately affected. We then began to try and find other places which may sponsor our students visas. We were able to secure an agreement with another university in Chiang Mai. However, suddenly, and so far, inexplicably, that agreement was discontinued by the alternative university.

So this is how it stands at the moment:

* LICMU will still not sign visas.

* LICMU has said there are to be absolutely no classes for foreigners at LICMU after 30 September 2010.

* IUS has exhausted all its funds in the refunding of courses fees and other expenses due to students because of lack of either a visa or classes.

* LICMU is refusing to refund any money to students.

For the last few weeks, as the director of IUS, I have felt that I was justified in telling affected students that the rest of the refunds must be now paid by LICMU (from LICMU's 60%) and that IUS had met its responsibilities by making payments well exceeding the 40% of income that it had received.

I was wrong.

In this type of situation, where one partner (LICMU) refuses to meet their obligations to students, it was wrong of me to think that that excuses IUS (or myself) from its continuing responsibilities to our students. It was wrong of me to allow affected students to get handed around like a "hot potato" from IUS to LICMU and back again, with no one taking responsibility for the situation that students - by absolutely no fault of their own - had found themselves in. I am very sorry and I will do everything in my power to rectify my mistake.

Therefore, IUS (and myself) from this point forward takes full (and personal) responsibility for the further refunding of any fair claim from students either in the Cultural Exchange Program or the 1 Year Thai Language Program.

IUS (and myself) will need some time to refund all monies owed to all students (there are currently close to 300 affected students). However, I believe that IUS can clear ALL monies owing within 180 days.

Please email at: ****email removed per forum rules*****. In your email, if you could tell me what you believe you are owed and why, I will compile a list of all monies owing to our students. Once I have a total amount, I will then be able to work out when you may receive your refund. I will then email you with the latest date that you can expect to receive your refund.

IUS begin to replenish its funds during October. Therefore, students can expect the first of their payments to be made by IUS during October.

Again, I very very sorry for the inconvenience and hardship caused to all our students; and I give you my promise that I will do everything I possibly can to resolve the situation honorably and responsibly and in the shortest time possible.

Your Sincerely,

Matthew Kay

Director

IUS/International University Services<br clear="all">"

Source:

Edited by Loaded

rob101:

On the thread that was closed 'Rob101' posted a 'letter' from 'Dr' Matt sent to him. It clearly shows 'Dr' Matt was aware of an entity named IUS.

"Dear 1 Year Thai Language students & Cultural Exchange Program participants,

Firstly, let begin by saying how sorry I am for the interruption to your studies and placements, your visa uncertainties, and for any financial losses you may have incurred.

Secondly, let me explain to you what has happened briefly and how this situation arose:

For a number of years, IUS/International University Services has administered in partnership with LICMU a number of programs for foreigners. Some of these programs have been running for as long as 5 years or more. The nature of the partnership between IUS and LICMU was a 40% (IUS) - 60% (LICMU) split of profits after costs. Recently, it was decided by the incoming new director of LICMU that they did not wish continue any more programs for foreigners at LICMU. Unfortunately, this decision and the procedures by which this transition could be smoothly conducted was never discussed with IUS/International University Services by anyone from either LICMU nor CMU. Instead, what happened was that LICMU ceased to sign any visas necessary for foreign students to study and gave notice that all LICMU classrooms for foreign programs would no longer be available after 30 September 2010.

IUS tried on a number of occasions tried very hard to convince LICMU that this was not a workable solution, and one that would cause much hardship to our students. However, once IUS realized that there would be no change to these decisions, IUS began to try to solve the situation in some other way, and when that could not be done, IUS began to refund money, pay for overstays, and pay bus fares and air tickets for those students most immediately affected. We then began to try and find other places which may sponsor our students visas. We were able to secure an agreement with another university in Chiang Mai. However, suddenly, and so far, inexplicably, that agreement was discontinued by the alternative university.

So this is how it stands at the moment:

* LICMU will still not sign visas.

* LICMU has said there are to be absolutely no classes for foreigners at LICMU after 30 September 2010.

* IUS has exhausted all its funds in the refunding of courses fees and other expenses due to students because of lack of either a visa or classes.

* LICMU is refusing to refund any money to students.

For the last few weeks, as the director of IUS, I have felt that I was justified in telling affected students that the rest of the refunds must be now paid by LICMU (from LICMU's 60%) and that IUS had met its responsibilities by making payments well exceeding the 40% of income that it had received.

I was wrong.

In this type of situation, where one partner (LICMU) refuses to meet their obligations to students, it was wrong of me to think that that excuses IUS (or myself) from its continuing responsibilities to our students. It was wrong of me to allow affected students to get handed around like a "hot potato" from IUS to LICMU and back again, with no one taking responsibility for the situation that students - by absolutely no fault of their own - had found themselves in. I am very sorry and I will do everything in my power to rectify my mistake.

Therefore, IUS (and myself) from this point forward takes full (and personal) responsibility for the further refunding of any fair claim from students either in the Cultural Exchange Program or the 1 Year Thai Language Program.

IUS (and myself) will need some time to refund all monies owed to all students (there are currently close to 300 affected students). However, I believe that IUS can clear ALL monies owing within 180 days.

Please email at: ****email removed per forum rules*****. In your email, if you could tell me what you believe you are owed and why, I will compile a list of all monies owing to our students. Once I have a total amount, I will then be able to work out when you may receive your refund. I will then email you with the latest date that you can expect to receive your refund.

IUS begin to replenish its funds during October. Therefore, students can expect the first of their payments to be made by IUS during October.

Again, I very very sorry for the inconvenience and hardship caused to all our students; and I give you my promise that I will do everything I possibly can to resolve the situation honorably and responsibly and in the shortest time possible.

Your Sincerely,

Matthew Kay

Director

IUS/International University Services<br clear="all">"

Source: http://www.thaivisa....ost__p__3909282

I have told you this before 'loaded' but you seem to want to disregard it. So here it goes one more time:

Dr. Matt tried to set up a company called IUS (unsucessfully) in August - so as to try and issue students visas to them. THIS COMPANY WAS NEVER FORMED.

Dr. Matt remained an employee of LICMU during this whole time.

Edited by Maestro
Removed flame.

cmsally.

re ... Maybe someone who has an actual receipt ..... here ya go .

re ....or credit card statement can mention who actually the money was processed by

i was taken by cep staff to another office in the language institute and gave my money to a thai lady who i thought was staff of cmu and she gave me this reciept

after taking photo copies of passport , visa , address , phone no etc

at no time did cep staff ask me for any money to be paid direct to them

dave2

If credit card statements also show the language institute as having processed payments, it would seem the cards are pretty much stacked against them. Whatever the actual situation, they definitely don't seem to have thought things out too well.

In fact if anyone looked able to wheedle their way out of things it would be "IUS".

Whatever the scenario it seems CMU have stuffed up big time regarding reputation.

Hubby's credit card charge for the CEP shows the merchant listed as LANGUAGE INSTITUE CHIANGM

That's a cut-and-paste from our credit card bill!

We should probably be careful to stick to actual known facts on this thread, where the poster has first-hand knowledge (like I just did with my post above) rather than engaging in conjecture and speculation. This is how threads get closed and those affected by the CMU problem do rely on this forum to keep in touch with the latest developments.

I posted this months ago.... I should have added how often these programs screw up in small and large ways.

Posted 2010-04-17 20:21

I'm continuously amused by CMU Language Center's various courses. It's pretty obvious to me that its run as a for profit business using CMU as a marketing tool. Every university in Thailand that can sets up these kinds of internation programs/de[artments etc. becasue that's how the Thai's get power and money and the Farang get a piece of the pie too.......

Hubby's credit card charge for the CEP shows the merchant listed as LANGUAGE INSTITUE CHIANGM

We should probably be careful to stick to actual known facts on this thread, where the poster has first-hand knowledge (like I just did with my post above) rather than engaging in conjecture and speculation. This is how threads get closed and those affected by the CMU problem do rely on this forum to keep in touch with the latest developments.

That's pretty cut and dried then. That shows the name of their merchant account. They would have needed to have some official paperwork to open that acct. and it wouldn't have been just an employee doing it. Whatever their stance, this is a financial transaction between the Language Institute and the student. IUS whether it exists or not is nothing to do with the student.

That's pretty cut and dried then. That shows the name of their merchant account. They would have needed to have some official paperwork to open that acct. and it wouldn't have been just an employee doing it. Whatever their stance, this is a financial transaction between the Language Institute and the student. IUS whether it exists or not is nothing to do with the student.

For completeness, another payment option (bank transfer) for the 1 Year Thai course should be mentioned. The account name – and as I assume the beneficiary - is clearly declared as “Dr. Matthew John Kay (LICMU)”. Attached the screenshot from the studythaycmu-website. A couple of weeks ago this bank details have been removed from the website, for what reason ever.

post-113240-045251200 1286560493_thumb.j

I posted this months ago.... I should have added how often these programs screw up in small and large ways.

Posted 2010-04-17 20:21

I'm continuously amused by CMU Language Center's various courses. It's pretty obvious to me that its run as a for profit business using CMU as a marketing tool. Every university in Thailand that can sets up these kinds of internation programs/de[artments etc. becasue that's how the Thai's get power and money and the Farang get a piece of the pie too.......

I knew when I signed up for the Thai Language course I was paying much more for four hours a week of instruction that CMU students pay in tuition for a full academic year. I don't remember the name of the person who signed me up, but he didn't try to hide anything, he told me part of the money I and other students were paying was going to fund English language courses for Thai students. I didn't have a problem with that, I have a problem with the mess that followed.

It seemed like they always made it clear, as did "Dr." Kay, that it was an integral part of the University.

Why do you put "Dr" in quotes? Are you employing Dr. Kay is not a Phd?

What difference does it really make if he's a Phd or not - he's still referring to the same Matthew John Kay.

I believe he stated it was actually awarded by the University of Hawaii at Hilo.

His name is Matthew John Kay - isn't that enough, does anyone really care if he wrote a thesis on something?

Another curious response regarding credentials and experience of arguably the central character in this whole unfortunate episode! Are such matters meaningless? So, doctorate in what, where, and when --- and what experience in education or educational management? Shouldn't people who were harmed know? What's not straightforward in asking and being accurately informed?

Something obviously very wrong happened at ILCMU. It has caused a lot of people a lot of grief. If you look at the thread and the other one on the topic (now closed), you'll notice, besides some obvious upset, many fingers pointed at one or two persons or offices of CMU, if not broadly at the university itself. The overwhelming concern and theme of posts have been getting their money back! Can't recall right away anyone asking much about the validity of the programs that were "busted" or providing much or any substantive information at all. CMU has apparently published a reason for closing down the programs, one that certainly seems to ring true! It is mentioned above in a previous post. It should be added that Kay wrote a rather eloquent letter of apology. Now what ?

So, who is this guy who apparently was contracted for and managed these programs and what appears to be his "company?" I have no personal interest in this business whatsoever except that as one who might be interested someday in a program at CMU and would like to be confident of its legitimacy.

This all seems quite an odd situation. So, yes, I think it is quite relevant to know what Kay's credentials and experience are. Hasn't anyone asked before and gotten something more than a vague answer? Has anyone ever checked out the answers?

I believe this is the "Latest Developments at Cmu Thai Course" thread, not the "Find a scapegoat" thread. If you are determined to find someone to blame, it's worth remembering that it was the Language Institute, not Mat Kay, that took the money and canceled the classes. Now they're offering to restart classes if the students pay more. As far as I know that is the latest development.

I met with one of the teachers yesterday and was told the story below. I can't validate it, but it sounds plausible.

The teachers were devastated when the program ceased. They were on generous monthly salaries, much greater than LICMU is willing to pay. They are keen to return to work, but not so keen if only at the salary they could receive from another school.

One class resumed last week. LICMU is paying what it considers a reasonable salary, the students are complementing that salary 100%. That teacher is happy to return to work at something like their former salary (where LICMU pays 50%, students pool together to pay 50%).

Other teachers may follow if sufficient numbers of willing students re-enrol and pony-up the extra cash.

This is one teacher's view and they may be "filling in' some details to make it a complete story. Time will tell...

I believe this is the "Latest Developments at Cmu Thai Course" thread, not the "Find a scapegoat" thread. If you are determined to find someone to blame, it's worth remembering that it was the Language Institute, not Mat Kay, that took the money and canceled the classes. Now they're offering to restart classes if the students pay more. As far as I know that is the latest development.

Good post, heybruce, nail hit on head.

However, I so wish some posters would remember that it wasn't just the Thai language program that was cancelled. along with the students' visas. A large number of volunteers were on the CEP program, no-one's re-starting that, and time is running out for those who haven't yet rearranged their legitimacy here. Or perhaps can't if the uni still have their money.

Also, as has already been noted, some ex-students already living here have homes, committments and even families, but at present no visa, nor, maybe, the finance to arrange one as they'd shelled out for a course on pensions that are diminishing in real value daily.

It's not Rief, or Matt, that matter here, or their qualifications or personal poltics or beliefs. It's the fact that a formerly highly respected university has become involved in a scandal which seems only to have affected foreigners.

What message does this give to the rest of the world, including potential tourists or investors? On top of reports of political unrest, violence and scams? LOS, this 'oh so friendly' country, should make its mind up about the composition of its residents. Let us all know exactly where we stand, and many of us will be happy to comply.