Buying A 2Nd Hand Motorbike At Auction.

westbounder

Hi,

Please only answer this question if you have experiencing in doing this process.

I am an American living in CNX for 3 years now.

I am going to buy a 2nd hand motorbike at the Sale at Romchok Market.

Since I can't speak Thai, can anyone tell me exactly what I need to do after agreeing with the seller on a price for the motorbike?

I will need to know what paperwork to get from the dealer after making the purchase. (Something about a green book and a paper of some sort from the seller and I hope the papers verify the serial numbers so I know it isn't stolen).

Some motorbikes have licence plates and some don't (Whats up with that?). Is it difficult to get a licence plate.

Also I was told I need a residency letter from my condo and take all my paperwork to Nong Hoi to register the bike, Is all this true?

Basically I need to know what I should receive with the purchase along with the motorbike and how to legally register this and also get insurance and be 100% legal.

Thank you

I've done this twice in the last year or so.

1) First thing find a bike you like the look, start it up, drive it around the block for a test drive

2) Don't even look at a bike without a number plate or green book (cos YOU won't be able to get one)!

3) Can't peak Thai, take along a pen and paper and haggle by writing (after the test drive).

4) Both go to the market inspectors stall, it can't be missed, masses of paperwork, usually at end furthest from main road.

5) Market inspector will check all the paperwork, issue a receipt, you hand over the cash to the seller (who is a dealer, they all are)

6) Drive it away.

Register later using Certificate of Residence (from CM immigration) at the vehicle registering place on the road to Lampun, green book, and the transfer papers your were given at the sale. The bike will already have the government minimum insurance (if it has a current tax sticker), this goes with the bike and not the person who paid for it. Want extra insurance, find a broker.

Like I said, done it twice, no problems, apart from the fact Thais don't service their bikes so you have to pay for one, and maybe new tyres as well.

Green book, Bike number plate where the **** are

green%20book.jpg

Edited by sarahsbloke

I followed the process exactly as mentioned above 2 weeks ago down in Sanpatong where the market is considerably bigger and the bikes a little cheaper as well.

I recieved all the paperwork mentioned plus a signed copy of the dealers ID card and a copy of his tabian baan (forgive the spelling lol).

The people at the market issue an official reciept of sale then your away.

Be aware though, nearly all of the bikes sold at these markets have the clocks turned back and if there's any faults with them they will be just botched to get through the selling process.

Once you've bought it, it's your problem! So, as mentioned don't be suprised if after a few KM you start having issues which cost you money.

Whatever you do, don't use the little castrol bike point next to the market. They over charge use sub-standard parts and will not even entertain the thought of correcting any mistakes they make with your bike.

One thing to consider, have you looked around the official dealers for 2nd hand bikes within your budget? also maybe worth looking on the classified section on here as there's usually Mio's Click's, Wave's & Dream's etc for sale.

Hope you get what you want without any nasty suprises down the road.

I followed the process exactly as mentioned above 2 weeks ago down in Sanpatong where the market is considerably bigger and the bikes a little cheaper as well.

I recieved all the paperwork mentioned plus a signed copy of the dealers ID card and a copy of his tabian baan (forgive the spelling lol).

The people at the market issue an official reciept of sale then your away.

Be aware though, nearly all of the bikes sold at these markets have the clocks turned back and if there's any faults with them they will be just botched to get through the selling process.

Once you've bought it, it's your problem! So, as mentioned don't be suprised if after a few KM you start having issues which cost you money.

Whatever you do, don't use the little castrol bike point next to the market. They over charge use sub-standard parts and will not even entertain the thought of correcting any mistakes they make with your bike.

One thing to consider, have you looked around the official dealers for 2nd hand bikes within your budget? also maybe worth looking on the classified section on here as there's usually Mio's Click's, Wave's & Dream's etc for sale.

Hope you get what you want without any nasty suprises down the road.

HI

WHERE IS SANPATONG MARKET?

THKS

PET