Phuket As Home Instead Of Chiang Mai

mrvpliss

Phuket as a permanent home versus Chiang Mai...I made the effort to convince myself that phuket was better...

A fter staying on phuket for a full month to guage my feelings for the place in repect of making it home , i am left very dissapointed with the experience.If you read and believe what is promoted about the island, it is paradise, i agree that for a 2 week getaway its not too bad,but for a home..no way for me. The land prices are obscene and the house prices are also very high . I understand you pay more for an uber-destination ,but honestly ,apart from having some beaches what do you get back personally for these uber prices? People talk about sunsets, views, relaxation around their swimming pools, you can get those and more near anywhere else in Thailand.

And for me a one time holiday only...the constant hassle from foreign tailors, to vendors of all and sundry,including massage ladies, the non stop tuk tuk requests, and the way over the top pricing for all these sevices, makes for a very unrelaxing break for me at least. i guess the sex tourists types who seem to be the majority [ i mean, the place is not really a family orientated destination] dont mind all the open slather, in your face bars and sex trade. An alternative to pataya is think and actually ,some areas beachside reminds me of that horrible place in many aspects.

I moved around the place ,to experiece as much as possible ,staying in kamala, rawai, phuket city ,katabeach and apart from some unattractive dirty beaches i have found nothing at all that would entice me to settle here instead of Chiang mai. C/m is far from perfect regards SMOG every bl--dy year, and the traffic , as in every single thai city and town is challenging, but the lack of in your face vendors, the cheaper prices for everything, and the bars and massage ladies are there if you want, just have to look a little for them,but i think the no 1 decision maker has been the RESPECT and COURTESY shown to customers and all in general in C/M has made my decision easier. There appears to be very little respect offered to anyone at all on Phuket and that includes Thai to Thai and even the Thais seem to have no self respect here.As for Thai respecting farang....I have never seen so much, near hatred for farang anywhere else in Thailand...My wife [from chiang Rai] is gobsmacked at the atitude of Thais themselves , every day she's embarressed by her peoples behaviour.Rip off, rip off, non stop.

Everything you need to buy here is at a far greater price than the north from A thru to Z .No exceptions, even the prices in Carrefour and big C are up. I wont even mention the excuse for public transport ,or rather, the lack of, and what there is ..tuk tuks is 10 times the price!! Yes , i realise that if living here transport is probably your own vehical, but your own vehical has many limitations, re parking and mafia damage. Everything from a basic noodle or rice dish and especially fish..we buy fresh seafood inC/M cheaper than here and its caught and landed here, not transported great distance as it is to C/M.Why??

Phuket city and the old architecture in some places, and the generally lower prices there appealed ,it and kamala have more of a nice feel than most other places here but is not enough to encourage me to live here for sure and i think kamalas relaxed feeling is already under threat by over developement in progress, same as rawai...slowly but surely.

One other thing i want to make a brief comment on is this, as part of my search for information about Phuket whilst staying here, i have often refered to this site, and have found some good and helpful information, thank you all except for a couple of posters who recently destroyed the housing estates thread .

Remember its all on there for people to read people, dont forget that this is a forum widely read by people from all over the planet looking for information and news.

In summary nice place for a couple of weeks holiday at most, but not for us as a permanent home. Everyone has reasons why they like a particular area, or why they dont and i am not knocking anyone else for their choice, just giving my honest views on our choice.

Edited by LivinginKata
Flaming of other board members removed

Am on a plane next week.. 2 of my mates have expressed a desire to come up and check it out in the next month or two.

For me tho I have an extra.. Its some of the best ride country around and I really want to do more touring on 2 wheels, dirtbikes in Laos, that kind of thing. So I am telling myself that will make up for the lack of sea (which I am not sure about !!).

The foreign tailors in Phuket are a major reason some tourist wont return to the island.

How do these guys get work visas?

Assuming you are referring to the Indians, most of them are thai citizens. Large population in phuket and bangkok.

The thing that i like about Phuket is the climate not the beaches i have seen far better beaches in other country's.

Chang Mai gets cold in the winter and that does not suite me, i have visited and its a nice place apart from the smog.

Patong is expensive but we don't shop in Patong except for groceries, You can get good prices elsewhere on the island

Patong is not Phuket its for tourists and i do not understand why any people staying long term would want to live there.

When you get away from Patong and mix with everyday people its like anywhere else in the world, mostly good people some bad

The foreign tailors in Phuket are a major reason some tourist wont return to the island.

Assuming you are referring to the Indians, most of them are thai citizens. Large population in phuket and bangkok.

Loads of the sidewalk hawkers seem to be Nepali or Burmese.. With Indians / some Nepalese inside the shops

The touts outside are nearly all Nepalese and they are definitely not Thai citizens.

They don't get work visa. They are not tailors, they are measure-takers. The tailors are Thai, just remember that tailoring is a profession which is protected and can be done only by Thais, same like drivers, wood carvers, farmers, etc...

They don't get work visa. They are not tailors, they are measure-takers. The tailors are Thai, just remember that tailoring is a profession which is protected and can be done only by Thais, same like drivers, wood carvers, farmers, etc...

Of course you are right, check out the rear of the basement at Jungceylon, Plenty of copies being sold there and no one speaks Thai.

Retailing is an occupation reserved for Thai Nationals also, if you go to the weekend markets in Phuket town you can buy the same

items much cheaper of Thai retailers.

To each their own and I'm sure someone could pipe in and they say they much prefer Isaan over Chaing Mai, but like Phuket better than Issan. I'm at the beach every day and that just wouldn't happen in Chiang Mai.

As far as the tailors doing the actual work, someone mentioned it's protected by law, Bwha ha ha ha. When doesn't a cash payment to the BIBS ever over ride what is the law? My inlaws all have shops here and they pay Nepalese to do the work, and in turn the Nepalese pay the BIB's 1000/mo.

"Everything you need to buy here is at a far greater price than the north from A thru to Z .No exceptions, even the prices in Carrefour and big C are up. "

is that true?i was under the impression that prices in all the big chains are the same everywhere in the country. i've never done a detailed study but i've never noticed a price difference in Phuket or even Ko Phangan Tescocompared to say Hua hin

i couldn't live with the climate in CM, far too hot in the hot season, 38+ on most days and the air will kill you.

Nepalese

"Everything you need to buy here is at a far greater price than the north from A thru to Z .No exceptions, even the prices in Carrefour and big C are up. "

is that true?i was under the impression that prices in all the big chains are the same everywhere in the country. i've never done a detailed study but i've never noticed a price difference in Phuket or even Ko Phangan Tescocompared to say Hua hin

Prices in the chain stores upcountry seem to have the same prices as Phuket branches as far as I have noticed.

Prices in the chain stores upcountry seem to have the same prices as Phuket branches as far as I have noticed.

yes and no

Hua Hin, Phuket and Bkk are same prices.

While in Nong Kai I noticed prices in Tesco 7-10% lower on most stuff, except for coke/fanta, beer etc

Last time I checked Chiang Mai, same prices as BKK.

I like to spend a week in CM now and then in the cold season, preferably December, but it sure feels good to come home to beaches and tropical paradise again:D

Everything you need to buy here is at a far greater price than the north from A thru to Z .No exceptions, even the prices in Carrefour and big C are up. I wont even mention the excuse for public transport ,or rather, the lack of, and what there is ..tuk tuks is 10 times the price!! Yes , i realise that if living here transport is probably your own vehical, but your own vehical has many limitations, re parking and mafia damage. Everything from a basic noodle or rice dish and especially fish..we buy fresh seafood inC/M cheaper than here and its caught and landed here, not transported great distance as it is to C/M.Why??

i think you'd have to go into phuket town to get the cheaper prices. i was a little surprised by the cost of seafood myself at some of the stores. I went to a market outside the Phuket rajabhat university and the prices on seafood and just about everything else was cheaper. I was kind of surprised at how cheap some of the stuff was.

Interesting thread. A friend of mine who is in parong now was saying it was about the same amount of money to live in patong beach (assume a 7000/mo guesthouse or at with electric included). and to be close to everything.

Hua Hin, Phuket and Bkk are same prices.

While in Nong Kai I noticed prices in Tesco 7-10% lower on most stuff, except for coke/fanta, beer etc

Last time I checked Chiang Mai, same prices as BKK.

Nong Kai is cheaper than BKK! how do they cover the transportation cost i wonder since i bet all the canned foods and non food items come from the BKK area.

i wonder how Pattaya compares to BKK or Phuket then for Lotus, Big C etc?

Nong Kai is cheaper than BKK! how do they cover the transportation cost i wonder since i bet all the canned foods and non food items come from the BKK area.

i wonder how Pattaya compares to BKK or Phuket then for Lotus, Big C etc?

I can only guess on why its cheaper in Nong Kai

1. Close to Laos, need to be competetive

2. Lower purchasing power than the rest of the country

as for transportation costs, its more expensive to ship to Phuket but no mark up on prices

BTW, Rosa manufactores in Nong Kai, perhaps thats why Heinz needs to be cheaper B)

Only a few more days to go, still looking at everything relevant to me ,but feel i should answer some of the replies on here..sorry dont know how to use all the features so bare with me//

Viz

Chang Mai gets cold in the winter and that does not suite me, i have visited and its a nice place apart from the smog.

Patong is expensive but we don't shop in Patong except for groceries, You can get good prices elsewhere on the island

Patong is not Phuket its for tourists and i do not understand why any people staying long term would want to live there.

When you get away from Patong and mix with everyday people its like anywhere else in the world, mostly good people some bad

Yes C/M gets colder in the winter...for a month or so ..to me that is a blessing.. to be able to actually rug up in jeans and long sleeves for a change..bonus!

Yes you can get prices over the island much lower than Patong..but overall C/M prices are definately lower..everywhere

Once again regarding away from patong people are mostly good...same everywhere...yes i agree, but we have found that wherever we stayed,and as i said we stayed at various locations and definately NOT Patong..that the rip-off mentality is prevalent, and the lack of RESPECT and COURTESY, to both Thai and farang is very obvious. The other thing very lacking apart from the usual temples and ,naturally thai people, there is no real feeling of thailand here, no culture and history as is very apparent in C/M. I was walking on the beack at Kata one day, chatting with some visitors and the comment was made when looking inland from the waters edge//...you could be anywhere in the world, there is nothing THAI about the landscape same same as any other tourist destination was their opinion.I have to agree with that.Why dont the powers that be at least make all the concrete jungle appear Thai, maybe if only all the roof profiles, would at least give the right appearance.

Prices in the chain stores upcountry seem to have the same prices as Phuket branches as far as I have noticed

I can only compare my two previous home cities..C/M and Khon Kaen, not BKK or HUa HIn , they are irrelevant to my OP,,As i said prices ARE lower than Phuket, common we're not talking 50% here but in my guestimation anywhere from 7-10% lower.

i was under the impression that prices in all the big chains are the same everywhere in the country

Your impression may be misguided...i am talking from first hand experience, ie prices are not the same everywhere

I believe that it is a known fact that big chains worldwide have prices to suit the location eg high income living areas have slightly higher prices than the lower end areas in the west for certain..maybe not so much in Thailand, but i bet that in less farang populated areas the prices are lower, and as one post said Nong Kai is just one example of this.

As for here in Thailand i'll bet that the rental costs for the bigboys ,Tesco, carrefour, Big C play a huge part in determining the selling prices of many products in stock I'd hate to think , for eg What the difference in rent in Carrefour in Jungceylon would be compared to C/M branch...has to reflect in prices.

Interesting thread. A friend of mine who is in parong now was saying it was about the same amount of money to live in patong beach (assume a 7000/mo guesthouse or at with electric included). and to be close to everything.

I'm can only presume that you are indeed comparing C/M to Phuket in your post [ you dont actually say so.] but i will go with the fact that you are. I disagree wholeheartedly with your friend, sorry.If you are comparing Hua Hin or Pattaya,or PARTS of BKK i agree but definately not C/M.! As i said in OP , near nothing is comparable in cost, most places on the island [ sure , you can buy at cheap prices in various , more secluded Thai areas ] but to say is the same in C/M as Patong is way, way wrong. transport to food,A to Z and especially as you mentioned ACCOMMODATION costs in C/M are way lower than not just Patong , but Phuket in general[once again , in certain areas you can get relatively cheap] but for my family these do not suit. I live in a huge complex with pool,magic mountain views, near all amenities in a 54 meter , mid to uprange fittings and furniture condo and pay 10,000 baht monthly.A mate lives in a similar size and condition in Phuket palace near Patong and pays 17500 monthly.

Says it all as far as my pension goes ..sorry im not one of you have it alls so have to balance the budget monthly..so definately helps confirm my choice FOR ME to live in C/M and not Phuket ...At least i gave the time and effort and cost to actually come here and do a FULL cost comparison for myself and not go on heresay or he, she they said etc .

For me its not simply the costs.. Its the quality.. Theres a kind of classyness and charm to it.

Today exploring we found a rest on the ping that had some of the best Thai dishes I have eaten in months.. Earlier in the afternoon found a place near nimaheamin (however you spell it) with incredible real fruit sorbets and home made ices.. With crazy modern artwork / sculpture and fashionable middle class thais..

The decor to places is just done with more taste and class, my wife bought a flower garland while at the traffic lights, its the most intricate sculptured one I have ever seen, not just 'some flowers on a string', but this little floral artwork. I dont normally like cities but even right downtown, they have retained thier trees and green, it really is a gem of a city.

The kids are going to university, they have some goals in life beyond 'work bar' and finding a guy twice their age to 'take care'.. There seems like a sense of a real community and normal economy. Not one that exists purely based in farangs arriving with money and Thais living off that farang money stream. That dynamic is one which reinforces so many issues.

Of course it is cheaper (nuovo elegance 3k a month, PCX for 3.5.. No need to leave a passport) 1 bed service apartment with TV and internet, nicely furnished etc 8k for the month utils included.. A mod for my car I have been looking to get done on Phuket for multi thousand baht got quoted 650b first place I asked. But the cost isnt the attraction, the super easy going manager, who checked us in without even asking for the money (no problem, pay me when your settled). Attitudes in a tourist economy are that your there to provide their income, through fair means or foul (I see JJ is up to his old tricks.. Boasting 'you can see me on the internet' while he keeps extorting money unpunished) and that bleeds into so many other interactions.

I'm can only presume that you are indeed comparing C/M to Phuket in your post [ you dont actually say so.] but i will go with the fact that you are. I disagree wholeheartedly with your friend, sorry.If you are comparing Hua Hin or Pattaya,or PARTS of BKK i agree but definately not C/M.! As i said in OP , near nothing is comparable in cost, most places on the island [ sure , you can buy at cheap prices in various , more secluded Thai areas ] but to say is the same in C/M as Patong is way, way wrong. transport to food,A to Z and especially as you mentioned ACCOMMODATION costs in C/M are way lower than not just Patong , but Phuket in general[once again , in certain areas you can get relatively cheap] but for my family these do not suit. I live in a huge complex with pool,magic mountain views, near all amenities in a 54 meter , mid to uprange fittings and furniture condo and pay 10,000 baht monthly.A mate lives in a similar size and condition in Phuket palace near Patong and pays 17500 monthly.

Says it all as far as my pension goes ..sorry im not one of you have it alls so have to balance the budget monthly..so definately helps confirm my choice FOR ME to live in C/M and not Phuket ...At least i gave the time and effort and cost to actually come here and do a FULL cost comparison for myself and not go on heresay or he, she they said etc .

I was comparing phuket to c/m. Good job. How are the women out there?

For me its not simply the costs.. Its the quality.. Theres a kind of classyness and charm to it.

Of course it is cheaper (nuovo elegance 3k a month, PCX for 3.5.. No need to leave a passport) 1 bed service apartment with TV and internet, nicely furnished etc 8k for the month utils included.. A mod for my car I have been looking to get done on Phuket for multi thousand baht got quoted 650b first place I asked. But the cost isnt the attraction, the super easy going manager, who checked us in without even asking for the money (no problem, pay me when your settled). Attitudes in a tourist economy are that your there to provide their income, through fair means or foul (I see JJ is up to his old tricks.. Boasting 'you can see me on the internet' while he keeps extorting money unpunished) and that bleeds into so many other interactions.

Is this chang mai?

I was thinking of moving to chang mai. I'll need a rundown of the different places to stay. I'm looking to spend under 6k for rent. I want to either own a moterbike in girlfriends name, or rent one monthly for 2.5k-3k bht. I want to be close (within 5 km to a shopping district with at least one major superstore)

how much is the visa run in chang mai? How long does it take?

I guess it is true that you can retire on 550 usd a month, eh? i do want to make sure that the move is justified. I dont have too much stuff.

Today exploring we found a rest on the ping that had some of the best Thai dishes I have eaten in months.. Earlier in the afternoon found a place near nimaheamin (however you spell it) with incredible real fruit sorbets and home made ices.. With crazy modern artwork / sculpture and fashionable middle class thais..

The decor to places is just done with more taste and class, my wife bought a flower garland while at the traffic lights, its the most intricate sculptured one I have ever seen, not just 'some flowers on a string', but this little floral artwork. I dont normally like cities but even right downtown, they have retained thier trees and green, it really is a gem of a city.

The kids are going to university, they have some goals in life beyond 'work bar' and finding a guy twice their age to 'take care'.. There seems like a sense of a real community and normal economy. Not one that exists purely based in farangs arriving with money and Thais living off that farang money stream. That dynamic is one which reinforces so many issues.

Nice to see a post on Phuket forum that has not been turned and twisted away from its true intention, and also nice to see a phuketian with the ability to appreciate C/M and not just make negative comments about a destination that is not Phuket. You do not have the financial retraints that i have, obviously, but even if i had excess money i know that C/M would still be the place for me to call home.The things you have pointed out ..viz ;the good treatment by businesses and the costs of things up there reinforce what i have said.The trip to Phuket has really opened my eyes to the huge positive values of C/M over Phuket. In reflection I figure that whilst living there i had taken for granted all the niceness and livabilty of the place, as one does, but now am really looking forward to getting back in a couple of days time and staying there.

Yeh. Nimmanhaemin rd is now an outstanding couple of K's of trendy ,upmarket class , i think...out of my comfort zone personally but a great place for the younger trendoids for sure...has it all, and far outdoes anything available on the island.

Yes its gets cooler for awhile, yes it gets smoggy, and no ,there are no beaches, but for a true Thai living experience, which is what i am here for,C/M does it ,and does it well.

PS Make sure you experience the night bazaar area, and the walking market, complete with homemade oldstyle Thai icecream..delicious!!Absolutely NO pressure selling nepalese touts!!!!!beautiful...

Also for what i believe is the best supermarket experience in Thailand ..quality, variety and fair price of imported foods go to one of the Rimping supermarkets...the one on Chang phuak rd is the bigger ,but one near central shopping on the way to airport is also well stocked...enjoy.

Edited by mrvpliss

I was comparing phuket to c/m. Good job. How are the women out there?

Is this chang mai?

I was thinking of moving to chang mai. I'll need a rundown of the different places to stay. I'm looking to spend under 6k for rent. I want to either own a moterbike in girlfriends name, or rent one monthly for 2.5k-3k bht. I want to be close (within 5 km to a shopping district with at least one major superstore)

how much is the visa run in chang mai? How long does it take?

I guess it is true that you can retire on 550 usd a month, eh? i do want to make sure that the move is justified. I dont have too much stuff.

Why dont you just ask your friend who told you that Phuket was the same cost wise as C/M ?

chiang mai is significantly cheaper.. hands down, and it's nice that locals try to rip me off a lot less in CM than they do in Phuket - perhaps less feckless tourists in CM?

in CM i live in a decent 1 bed + living apt, plus kitchen and bathroom with a massive outside balcony area - half covered, half uncovered, nice views - for the same rent i paid for a nice single room in phuket.. with no view or balcony.

unfortuantely i grew up on the beach and i love the beach.. love Nai Harn and Kata Noi - anyone who says Phuket beaches are 'death traps' etc simply haven't grown up near the surf / ocean and learnt the basics.

i have only ever lived / stayed near CMU in CM and Rawai in Phuket, tho am about to spend a few weeks in Kata (up the patak rd hill, not on the main tourist drag) while i help some friends out which should be a new experience..

but everything I love about Phuket, CM lacks and vice versa.

really - i think it's like comparing apples to oranges..

tho if i had unlimited funds without having to work for them, i would choose Phuket (and my partner would choose CM).

If you came to live in Phuket and are staying in those resort/tourist areas, then you should know what to expect.

You are simply being exposed to the areas where you will be approached and treated like a tourist and no more.

Phuket has several areas to live where there are very few if any farang or tourists around.

Just gotta take the time to go search around..

If you came to live in Phuket and are staying in those resort/tourist areas, then you should know what to expect.

Kathu ?? Kamala ??

Phuket has several areas to live where there are very few if any farang or tourists around.

And where would they be ?? Even Mai Khao, Panwa, or the North east has many farang around..

chiang mai is significantly cheaper.. hands down

Well having spent 2 days with agents I can say with confidence that this applies to property.. And so much stuff that on multi rai plots etc.

The low end is comparable, maybe a touch cheaper or better furnished, but not so you would really notice.. But the upper end is crazy difference, homes that would be 80 100 even 120k a month for 40 or 50 asking. Agent seemed to indicate quite a few westerners leaving and owners of that standard of place keen to make a deal. The difference between 30 and 40 is just night and day, proper mansions in floraville and lanna tara.