Fair Price For A Bit Of Gravy?

TJG

I just had lunch at Simon's Fish and Chip shop in Jomtien. I had a sausage with chips with an extra of garden peas and asked if I could have a bit of gravy, which comes as standard with many of the meals. I was quite shocked when the bill came and I was charged 50 Baht for the gravy. Is it me, or is that extremely expensive? Given that I have been eating lunch there a lot recently I rather thought that a bit of gravy would be on the house, but maybe that is expecting a bit too much. Still 50 Baht for a bit of gravy, in a chippie in Jomtien, it seems way too much. Or I am wrong? Right now I am planning to vote with my feet and simply never return to the place.

You're right. That is an outrageous rip off. Symptom of a tourist trap. Of course it depends on the portion to some extant. If they brought out a substantial container filled with gravy even though you probably didn't need so much gravy, I could see a 20 to 30 baht charge being OK if it wasn't normally included in the meal you ordered.

50 baht for Gravy is a bit steep especially as you can get beef marrow bones for about 10 baht a kg and can make about 10 liters out 5kg and a few old veggies.

but then again, if he is using Bisto granules, thats very expensive to buy over here. :blink: I guess at least 30 portions from one tub which would mean one portion would cost aroun 5 baht!

Bring back real gravy!!!! :D

and as for running a restaurant and openly admitting having a problem against another nationality is just dumb. even if it is America :lol:

I will not go there now since reading this thread.

Edited by Rimmer
Unfounded accusation

I can attest to the virulent anti-American bias of the owner there (he pretty much openly admitted it to me), at least the last time I was there and banned for life. Half right, huh? Why is it rational to exercise hatred against any nationality when running a food service business? I might expect such hostility at Iranian restaurants as sadly our countries may be on the verge of war, but on the contrary, never experienced any rudeness from Iranian restauranteurs.

On a side, note, Americans, please consider not giving that place your business. There are better places for fish and chips in town, with better prices and better food, so you aren't missing anything.

Edited by Rimmer
Deleted quoted reply

50 baht for Gravy is a bit steep especially as you can get beef marrow bones for about 10 baht a kg and can make about 10 liters out 5kg and a few old veggies.

but then again, if he is using Bisto granules, thats very expensive to buy over here.

Still doesn't warrant such a high price fror (maybe) a teaspoon of granules. A rip off pure and simple.

but then again, if he is using Bisto granules, thats very expensive to buy over here.

Still doesn't warrant such a high price fror (maybe) a teaspoon of granules. A rip off pure and simple.

Yeah but restaurants will do this as far as they can get away with without alienating their customers. Its a bit of a game. 50 baht is clearly too much. The other day I went to mid-level French restaurant and ordered a soda water (5 baht wholesale probably) without even looking at the menu and they charged me 60 baht and had the nerve to list eau de minerale on the check! They got their money but their food isn't that good and they lost a potential repeat customer for their rip off practice. Tourist traps tend to do this, places looking for REPEAT custom from expats generally don't. Oh, what the hel_l, it was L'Olivier in Jomtien Complex. Edited by Jingthing

I can attest to the virulent anti-American bias of the owner there (he pretty much openly admitted it to me), at least the last time I was there and banned for life. Half right, huh? Why is it rational to exercise hatred against any nationality when running a food service business? I might expect such hostility at Iranian restaurants as sadly our countries may be on the verge of war, but on the contrary, never experienced any rudeness from Iranian restauranteurs.

On a side, note, Americans, please consider not giving that place your business. There are better places for fish and chips in town, with better prices and better food, so you aren't missing anything.

I agree! Use your feet unless of course it was imported gravy?:whistling:

Edited by Rimmer
Deleted quoted reply

You are right, I got side tracked before I could finish!

but then again, if he is using Bisto granules, thats very expensive to buy over here. :blink: I guess at least 30 portions from one tub which would mean one portion would cost aroun 5 baht!

Bring back real gravy!!!! :D

and as for running a restaurant and openly admitting having a problem against another nationality is just dumb. even if it is America :lol:

I will not go there now since reading this thread.

Here you go.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j1C7q2mNgMQ

Surely, it is better to let grown ups - even Americans - decide for themselves ?;)

I agree! Use your feet unless of course it was imported gravy?:whistling:

aye the french know a bit about using their feet.....:whistling:

Surely, it is better to let grown ups - even Americans - decide for themselves ?;)

Surely, but why support a place that dislikes you for such a random thing as nationality?

Exactly - that is the whole point of 'choice'. But ... if anyone told me NOT to go some where I might just go to see for myself.

(Then boycott it !)

Surely, but why support a place that dislikes you for such a random thing as nationality?

Exactly - that is the whole point of 'choice'. But ... if anyone told me NOT to go some where I might just go to see for myself.

(Then boycott it !)

Sure thing, but be careful about ordering any "extras" (napkin please? 50 baht) and by all means don't bring any COUPONS!

(Then boycott it !)

Sure thing, but be careful about ordering any "extras" (napkin please? 50 baht) and by all means don't bring any COUPONS!

I had almost forgotten about the coupons incident :D. That is a good enough reason not to go !!

(Then boycott it !)

What happened with the Coupons?

Surely, it is better to let grown ups - even Americans - decide for themselves ?

I am American and I think he gave good advice, why go to someplace where you are not wanted?

One more thing, was that your stale British sense of humor trying to be funny by applying Americans are not adults. It was not funny at all by the way!

sounds like you have a grudge for this place so your vinegary opinion should be taken with a grain of salt...otoh that Indian joint you are always pimping for charges around the same price for a side bowl of plain dipping curry gravy, normally free at most places.......next!

You're right. That is an outrageous rip off. Symptom of a tourist trap. Of course it depends on the portion to some extant. If they brought out a substantial container filled with gravy even though you probably didn't need so much gravy, I could see a 20 to 30 baht charge being OK if it wasn't normally included in the meal you ordered.

sounds like you have a grudge for this place so your vinegary opinion should be taken with a grain of salt...otoh that Indian joint you are always pimping for charges around the same price for a side bowl of plain dipping curry gravy, normally free at most places.......next!

Yes, I do have a grudge about Simon's and with BLOODY GOOD REASON. No, I don't "pimp" anyplace, that implies I get some benefit about talking about places I do like, and I get no such benefit. And no, Punjabi Tadka is about as far from a rip off joint as you can get in Pattaya.

Edited by Jingthing

Nice try at diverting the conversation away from the central point with all that vexatious verbosity....is it fair to slam one place for charging for gravy due to a grudge, but not to call another to task that does the same?

Yes, I do have a grudge about Simon's and with BLOODY GOOD REASON. No, I don't "pimp" anyplace, that implies I get some benefit about talking about places I do like, and I get no such benefit. And no, Punjabi Tadka is about as far from a rip off joint as you can get in Pattaya.

I don't believe your story about the Indian place. They have a menu item like that, something like a nan with curry dip in that price range, so there is no way they would charge 50 baht just for the dip. Fess up, you haven't even been there, have you?

Edited by Jingthing