Pattaya Memorial

JimmyTheMook

Son cut his finger on a rusty knife , so off for a tetanus shot.

Our local clinic does not stock the medicine and we were told to visit a hospital.

Pattaya Memorial.

I asked at the cashier would the cost would be , told 600 baht to see the doctor + medicine costs.

Explained it was for my son who is Thai. They replied 300 baht to see the doctor + medicine costs.

I asked for an overall itemized total so there would be no surprises.

Told to sit and wait.

Was given a print out.

Doctor Fee - 400b

Hospital Fee - 150b

Medicine Fee - 200b

I asked how the doctor fee went from 300b to 400b , they replied my son is a Luk Kreung and has to pay more.

We left and found a larger clinic down the road ( the place next to the TOT Building on Pattaya Klang near 3rd Rd. intersection)

Total cost was 200B , no whacky triple pricing schemes.

Rant Over :jap:

My gripe is with the dental dept.

The lady dentist speaks barely any English so patient and doc are fumbling to explain and understand each other. Hardly helpful when you're in pain or trying to know what comes next. I mentioned my problems but felt they were not being looked after properly.

Secondly, I had no choice but to finally scold my doc as she had Carabao rock guitar solos playing loud and unbelievably loud chatter while I'm lying in pain with the cloth with a hole around my mouth covers my face (which maximizes sounds as you can't see).

She has/had a group of student interns who were cackling away on their phones (which kept ringing) and until I said something, this just went on and on. While the doc was drilling away, she had her phone on the loudest ringer known to mankind in her lab coat pocket next to my ear. AARGH!

The ladyboy intern was nauseating with his non stop "life of the party" antics in his unmistakable fake lady voice. I finally called them out and said "this is a hospital, not Big C." They shut up fast. But who am I? The client, not their parent.

I'm very happy using any of the many clinics around town and the docs are bilingual and there's no games, to the point. There's enough stress involved going to a hospital, I don't need the doc adding to it carelessly.

My gripe is with the dental dept.

I was recently quoted 500 baht for a dental X-ray at Pattaya Memorial, even though I was speaking Thai and flashing my patient card in the woman's face. And, she would not agree to give me an appointment with the dentist until I first had the X-ray. I went to a nearby dentist and got my X-ray for 200 baht.

How much for the next two shots Jimmy? as a proper and reliable Tetanus vaccine now comprises of three separate injections.

Was not told he needed any follow ups , but if they are needed Pattaya Memorial Hospital will be the last place on the list I will ever take him for treatment.

If it was fancy schmantzy place like Bangkok Patttaya Hospital fathoming the concept of now triple pricing would be a little more palatable.

But the reality is Pattaya Memorial looks like a run down shithole of Government Hospital.

PM is up for a major renovation.

The owner and former landlord has taken over the management a few weeks ago.

The main entrance is renovated and in the near future, the rest of the facilities are being dealt with.

What that means for general service and price policy?

I asked how the doctor fee went from 300b to 400b , they replied my son is a Luk Kreung and has to pay more.

OMG! No racism in Thailand, that's the ticket. Your report is amazing, thanks for sharing.

Careful the lad doesn't catch his finger on your atavar nail......................I've never heard of rasism & double pricing in LOS

To make a new price for a Thai / Falang baby is nothing more than a spitting in your face.

It is stories like yours that make me smile when I read other stories about Thailands downturn in tourism and general failures as a society. They have earned it.

OMG! No racism in Thailand, that's the ticket. Your report is amazing, thanks for sharing.

As usual, you're too fast to play the racism ticket. It's business in a tourist district. If they can get away with charging more, they will.

To make a new price for a Thai / Falang baby is nothing more than a spitting in your face.

It is stories like yours that make me smile when I read other stories about Thailands downturn in tourism and general failures as a society. They have earned it.

Tourists don't go to Pattaya Memorial. This won't affect tourism one iota.

I was reading that the Queen Siriket hospital down in Sattahip has signs stating.................."Foreigners will be charged 50% more"

And that's a hospital funded when built by foreign taxpayers money.

If that is true, that is disgusting. This is why you fight fire with fire, like this:

It's best to have a few different credit cards (not debit cards) for this. ALWAYS pay for large items or items you know are being cheated or double priced on (inflated hospital bills), with one of these cards, Then simply call the bank and do what's called a "CHARGE BACK." The vendor / business will lose the money and you will not have to pay. The Thais lose 100% of the money + a small fee due to the charge back. Screw them right back IF you believe you have been screwed.

Don't abuse one card. Have several and use them sparingly, only having 1 charge back per year on any one card. Call the issuing bank first to learn what their charge back policy is, then abide by their rules and use it to your advantage when you are ripped off or unfairly charged. Also, since you did sign the receipt, the Thais do not know any better so after you sign your name, write under it that you signed against your will. The issuing bank will get a copy of this when they investigate the charge back and it will be the icing on the cake to show you were forced into something you did not want to do. It happens a lot to travelers and the banks know this. Your bank is usually on your side, so long as you do everything within their policy.

Nowhere in the world does another country double the price for Thai people when they come to visit. You do not have to take in up the a** here if you are smart about it. You have consumer rights IF you use a credit card. Use it and let the locals lose for a change.

If a Thai national luk krung or a Thai national who is European (few but they exist) is charged more than other Thai nationals, it is of course RACISM by definition. End of story. However, if the pricing is done by nationality, Thais cheaper, non-Thais more expensive, that isn't strictly racism, it's discrimination based on nationality.

If a Thai national luk krung or a Thai national who is European (few but they exist) is charged more than other Thai nationals, it is of course RACISM by definition. End of story. However, if the pricing is done by nationality, Thais cheaper, non-Thais more expensive, that isn't strictly racism, it's discrimination based on nationality.

I agree.

To penalize a Thai / Foreign mixed child because of his foreign DNA or his looks, is racism. That is no different than penalizing someone because they are black.

Ignorance knows no bounds in this country.

"Racism by definition"...don't be ridiculous.

They merely consider that they have more money to spend.

I asked his Mom to take him just for the stated reasons I encountered.

He gets Thai prices when with her and I am not around.

But setting a special price for a Thai National (luk kreung child) who shows up with his foreign dad is basically a disgusting practice, and shows how small minded most of the folks around us are.

Sorry I cannot see any justification for this.

But not all white people DO have more money to spend. To make a policy based on that false racial assumption does meet the definition of racism. Racism can also mean thinking another racial group is "superior"; in this example, superior in ability to pay. Racism covers a lot of territory, not only limited to lynchings and such.

Edited by Jingthing

I was reading that the Queen Siriket hospital down in Sattahip has signs stating.................."Foreigners will be charged 50% more"

50% more than?

Yes , this is true and the signs are posted everywhere.

They do not seem very welcoming either to Foreigners from the times I have been there.

50% more than?

Yes , this is true and the signs are posted everywhere.

They do not seem very welcoming either to Foreigners from the times I have been there.

One would think the Thais would learn a little PR. The sign should read "50% discount for patients holding a Thai national identity card".

But not all white people DO have more money to spend. To make a policy based on that false racial assumption does meet the definition of racism. Racism can also mean thinking another racial group is "superior"; in this example, superior in ability to pay. Racism covers a lot of territory, not only limited to lynchings and such.

You've got a hard-on for the word racism. Your definition is extremely broad so you can use it often, as you love to do.

Obviously all white people do not have more money, but the general assumption is that they can afford more, which would in fact be true. Business decisions are made on generalizations of the market place.

They can get away with such objectionable business practices in Thailand, so they do. If businesses could get away with the same in your homeland, they would too. This is all about turning profit, nothing to do with discrimination or racism.

I am sorry if you don't understand the definition of racism. I used it properly. You are in denial. Not my problem.

Next ...

I think it's your problem. You're the one convinced everyone around you is racist. I don't suffer these delusions.

I am sorry if you don't understand the definition of racism. I used it properly. You are in denial. Not my problem.

Next ...

I think it's your problem. You're the one convinced everyone around you is racist. I don't suffer these delusions.

Nope I don't think that. I just know the definition of racism and you clearly don't.

Edited by Jingthing

Next ...

Nope I don't think that. I just know the definition of racism and you clearly don't.

Clearly you're clueless.

Next....

PS. At least i'm helping you to get your post count up to 30,000.

Edited by tropo

Definition of RACISM

1: a belief that race is the primary determinant of human traits and capacities and that racial differences produce an inherent superiority of a particular race 2: racial prejudice or discrimination — rac·ist\-sist also -shist\ noun or adjective

Examples of RACISM

1. <LI class=vi-learners itxtvisited="1">the racism that was the basis of apartheid
  2. <Hitler's declaration of his belief in a “master race” was an indication of the inherent racism of the Nazi movement.>

Definition of RACISM

1: a belief that race is the primary determinant of human traits and capacities and that racial differences produce an inherent superiority of a particular race 2: racial prejudice or discrimination — rac·ist\-sist also -shist\ noun or adjective

Examples of RACISM

1. <LI class=vi-learners itxtvisited="1">the racism that was the basis of apartheid
  2. <Hitler's declaration of his belief in a "master race" was an indication of the inherent racism of the Nazi movement.>

Thanks!..but really, definitions of racism are easy to find.

(You should look up Godwin's Law: Godwin put forth the sarcastic observation that, given enough time, all discussions—regardless of topic or scope—inevitably end up being about Hitler and the Nazis)

In this thread we're talking about charging people more who in general are wealthier than your average Thai. It's merely a ripoff business practice in a country where such practices don't seem to be regulated. Businesses in your home country would do exactly the same if they could get away with it. It's greed, not racism. There's no reason for the likes of Jingthing to run around screaming "racism, racism" everytime a non-Thai or half-Thai is overcharged.