My Own Observations

I read the paper a lot in Thailand and the classified section. Something I noticed is when they post the ad's there is usually a limit on the persons age on the classified ad.

And I told my wife about a certain job and told her to apply, I know she has all the qualifications to do the job plus experience. She told me she was to old at 38.

And to when I applied for my last job I had with Suncore the one requirement was how many years experience in certain areas I had. I am not going to go in to detail but all the people that went to the interview seemed to be at lease over 40. Not to say that a lot younger person could not do the job so don't miss understand me. I noticed in the west the experience a person has and backed with with some form of education usually is required.

In the last office I worked in the Field Eng , Planners, Estimators, etc all had numerous years of experience and none were probably under 35 to 40..And again not saying that a younger person can not do the job.

And I also have friends that went to university and cant find jobs in the west because they don't have the experience,,

this is just an observation from western to Thailand employment,,

does anyone else see this here or have observed it?

correct me if I am wrong please in my observation

its quite common in thailand , or used to be when i last read the job pages. i assumed age limit was mainly because of other company employees ages, ie cant have an older person reporting to a younger one....thais generaly seem to have have problem with this

yes it's obviously a very common practice here. setting aside the political correctness aspect, it's clearly quite absurd to suggest people are incapable (or even less capable) of doing 99% of these jobs once they hit 30 years (or whatever arbitrary age is specified). As someone has already stated the basis of this practice is more the Thai notion of status - and to a lesser extent a fixation on physical appearance - than it has to do with real & measurable factors like productivity, reliability, etc.

:redcard1:

yes it's obviously a very common practice here. setting aside the political correctness aspect, it's clearly quite absurd to suggest people are incapable (or even less capable) of doing 99% of these jobs once they hit 30 years (or whatever arbitrary age is specified). As someone has already stated the basis of this practice is more the Thai notion of status - and to a lesser extent a fixation on physical appearance - than it has to do with real & measurable factors like productivity, reliability, etc.

:redcard1:

Thanks Chaingmaibruce, I have noticed this to, And I do know my wife has the experience for the job and degrees and she said because of her age she can not get the job ,,,,and I come from she would qualify for the job, and I think it is discrimination to put age on most want ads ,,not sure but think it is,,and never thought about the fixation on physical appearance good point thanks