Anonimyty On Tv - Why?

Pikey

I've been pondering this for a long time - why do people "hide" behind weird names on forums? Sure there are some internet warriors but most of us are decent blokes. Where I work, I welcome loads of mates but hardly ever ask if they write here and what their "handle" is. Come to think of it, given the amount of <deleted> written here, it's no wonder.

Anyway, I am "Pikey" or Jeff Pike. Am 50% of //snip// Bikes rental shop here in //snip//. I like a beer, like to blat around on bikes and hate a lot of the <deleted> here. Anyone else willing to come out of the closet?"

Cheers,

Pikey.

I've often wondered about the same thing. I've never hidden who I am or what I do. Other than some people not liking my life style, it doesn't bother me if everyone knows me. I can't say I have ever had a problem because of it. I've got more than enough friends who like me, and the ones who don't are so shallow that they aren't worth paying attention to. I've had the occasional PM from people who object to what goes on in Thailand, but most are so narrow minded it doesn't bother me. I really don't care what self righteous bigots think just as I don't care what axe murderers think. There are a few million radical Islamic fanatics who treat women like sex slaves and I certainly can't change their twisted minds, so why would I try worrying about a few internet warriors hiding behind anonymity.

However, I can also understand why some people want to stay anonymous. Some are married and don't want their family life threatened in any way. Or, their business connections some how threatened. If you were to post on an open forum during business hours when you should be working then that might come back to bite you. I'm single and too old to care what others think. I can back up what ever I write or post on any internet forum. I enjoy a debate on any subject. And, there are always two ways to reply to the same topic.

Ian Forbes

Oh, and about those photos? I make enough fun of myself to more than compete with the weirdos who might want to play games. I won't make fun of others, though.

Edited by astral

• Replies 203
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Anonymity? Well, The potential for embarrassment is endless. I shall provide a visual explanation.

1. Image 1 represents what can happen if one of the mentally deficient TVF members takes a fancy to someone. Unsolicited photos may show up. Does one really want to be treated to images of some members in their undies?

2. And then there is the fear of associating with the Pattaya people. Those Pattaya people can have an embarrassing style of clothing.

3. Some people are terrified that if they are at a restaurant and someone like George in photo 3 is there eating. Does one really need to be greeted by a sauce splattered slob?

4. Some members may prefer anonymity, especially if they are out shopping for books from TVF sponsors

5. Anonymity for some follows the same principle as the Boobs Rule.

Trust this helps.

Awesome, this thread just went 4chan 'picture story'-thread.

I've been pondering this for a long time - why do people "hide" behind weird names on forums? Sure there are some internet warriors but most of us are decent blokes. Where I work, I welcome loads of mates but hardly ever ask if they write here and what their "handle" is. Come to think of it, given the amount of <deleted> written here, it's no wonder.

Anyway, I am "Pikey" or Jeff Pike. Am 50% of //snip// Bikes rental shop here in //snip//. I like a beer, like to blat around on bikes and hate a lot of the <deleted> here. Anyone else willing to come out of the closet?"

Cheers,

Pikey.

I've often wondered about the same thing. I've never hidden who I am or what I do. Other than some people not liking my life style, it doesn't bother me if everyone knows me. I can't say I have ever had a problem because of it. I've got more than enough friends who like me, and the ones who don't are so shallow that they aren't worth paying attention to. I've had the occasional PM from people who object to what goes on in Thailand, but most are so narrow minded it doesn't bother me. I really don't care what self righteous bigots think just as I don't care what axe murderers think. There are a few million radical Islamic fanatics who treat women like sex slaves and I certainly can't change their twisted minds, so why would I try worrying about a few internet warriors hiding behind anonymity.

However, I can also understand why some people want to stay anonymous. Some are married and don't want their family life threatened in any way. Or, their business connections some how threatened. If you were to post on an open forum during business hours when you should be working then that might come back to bite you. I'm single and too old to care what others think. I can back up what ever I write or post on any internet forum. I enjoy a debate on any subject. And, there are always two ways to reply to the same topic.

Ian Forbes

Oh, and about those photos? I make enough fun of myself to more than compete with the weirdos who might want to play games. I won't make fun of others, though.

But that's cos you're always so 'nice' about everything!

I envy you - but some of us use TV as a way of 'venting' our feelings. The funny thing is when friends go on the way I do on TV, I get v fed-up cos they just go on and on! So I try not to do the same myself to friends.

The unlucky TV posters have to endure my airing of irritations....

Which is why I prefer not to reveal my name as those that met me in 'real life' wouldn't recognise me as the poster I am on TV! And thank god for that!

Well you were Pikey for 6 years,so what happened to make you want to relinquish your anonimity? after such a short time?

Wouldn,t be anything to do with the Bike Hire Business would it?

Edited by MAJIC

but seriously i can only be contacted below

In 1972 a crack commando unit was sent to prison by a military court for a crime they didn't commit. These men promptly escaped from a maximum security stockade to the Los Angeles underground. Today, still wanted by the government, they survive as soldiers of fortune. If you have a problem, if no one else can help, and if you can find them, maybe you can hire the A-Team.

I've met people from ThaiVisa, most are total dickheads and I never want to see them again. jap.gif

Expats in general are the loudest, most full of shyt bunch ive ever come across in my life no matter what nation theyre in, though the attention from women here and being that bit richer accentuates this.

But to the OP im anonymous as i keep myself to myself whilst here (which wont be for long), and if i had a pic on my profile the wives of TV members would be inundating me offering their crispy bits. whistling.gif

There you go - a genuine post by me and 4 or 5 <deleted> replies. Kind of sums up TV really. I am out of here.

A genuine op, but a genuinely crap one.

--

Actually find this type of question bemusing. You say you've been pondering it for a while and yet have been a member for several years. This comes up almost as often as the 'am i paying too much' thread. It's the type of question generally asked by those who don't have a grasp of the internet perhaps by that generation that missed out; the type that has just started emailing and makes group mails without using BCC, attaching unwanted, uncompressed pictures or forwarding jokes to all n sundry.

A few people have hit the nail on the head. The security side of it aside, who gives a shit? I don't care who you are and really don't give a shit whether you care who I am. That's not what it's about. Fora don't work like that. You sign up, enter a nick (as you have done) and ask questions, provide info, join debate. To come on here wanting to know who someone is, to learn about people, and divulge information about myself would all be very boring. This is not the place for airing all, although if you have, well done for you, but all it shows is your naivety and opens you up. Perfect example, signing up with your full name.

I've met people from ThaiVisa, most are total dickheads and I never want to see them again. jap.gif

Expats in general are the loudest, most full of shyt bunch ive ever come across in my life no matter what nation theyre in, though the attention from women here and being that bit richer accentuates this.

But to the OP im anonymous as i keep myself to myself whilst here (which wont be for long), and if i had a pic on my profile the wives of TV members would be inundating me offering their crispy bits. whistling.gif

who gives a shit? I don't care who you are and really don't give a shit whether you care who I am. That's not what it's about.

Post of the day. biggrin.gif

Nah, I reckon it was Englanders, just because it contains the phrase 'crispy bits' :lol:

Well you were Pikey for 6 years,so what happened to make you want to relinquish your anonimity? after such a short time?

Wouldn,t be anything to do with the Bike Hire Business would it?

Seriously, I was speaking to many locals in CM last week and business is very bad. Does the OP Pikey and Big Tony :lol: really think backpackers and other tourists are going to travel to chiang Mai and go to a shop called that and rent from two big,ugly Englishmen?

Change the name of the plce and get a friendly looking Thai woman out front.

I dont hide at all.. my name is there for all to see although most miss spell it. I would hide it if i were not self employed. But what i do here has no relevance on my work. So why hide. Also i got 2 killer dogs who will tear any unwanted visitors into shreds. (when they are not busy fighting among themselves). :D

Na Zdarovye, hello l em " Kwasaki " or Konstantin Vladimirovich - Rozhdestvenskaia.

Me am 49% of whata Wifey onnars. Beer is for pussy , l drinka Vodka.

Yes !! l will putter concreta bootas on the forking post bollocker, l am from Russia.

i have met a dozen TV-members and meet with a few once in a while. none of them is a <deleted> even though they all have dicks... i assume.

i have met a dozen TV-members and meet with a few once in a while. none of them is a <deleted> even though they all have dicks... i assume.

Yeah, but you haven't met me yet ...