New Nyc Style Jewish Deli Menu Plus Wine Bar/Gallery Opens

Jingthing

I think the Jews will be spending more time at The Village Chinky (the much discussed Chinese restaurant slated to open sometime this century).

The ten of us?

BTW, Israelis have different food tastes so they don't count, ha ha.

Edited by Jingthing

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Even the Blue Parrot Mexican is losing trade because of the changing demographics of the area.

Funny you should say that...weren't you the one who said 99% of expats and tourists don't [won't?] visit Boyztown? Then how do you explain the changing demographics of Pattayaland sois 1 & 2? Why would new gay bars/gogos and restos be opening and thus changing the demographics of this area if increased people (both visitors and residents) weren't going there and patronizing such establishments?

Best of luck to the new place and if it's good, hope it stays around awhile. Gotta tip the hat to anyone starting a new tourist oriented business in the current econo-politico environment!

Edited by FarangBuddha

i find it hard to believe that a successful restaurant will just change into something totally different.

Go and ask Richard why. There could have been many reasons. There probably was a decline in business with a TIRED OLD MENU, that happens to older restaurants everywhere. This new menu is much easier than the old full service restaurant. He is getting on in years, it makes sense to me to refresh with a new, easier, possibly hit concept. There is already a buzz about the place in town, if it's decent, he has another winner.

BTW, why would people be averse to eating a restaurant in a gay area? Afraid people will think they are gay or something?

:whistling: Why haven't you eaten there yet??:(

Blue Parrot Soi isn't very gay, I don't think.

Have been there in the past year or so...I would estimate in terms of go-gos, it's 2/3rds gay 1/3 straight now. Sheeze, someplace cald Hunk A-go-go is just about opposite Blue Parrot. In addition, keep in mind that Kitten Club in the Penthouse Hotel features 1/2 ladyboys in its "girl" line-up, and then maybe 1/3 to 1/2 of Cafe New Oleans diners are gay (either Western couples or old-guys with their rent-boys). So yes, both Pattayaland sois are definitely trending very pink :unsure:

Is the 10% service charge on take-out as well? Wine Connection do this and I cant stand it.

You cant charge service charge on making a sandwich for someone to take-away, that's not service, that's the product.

Really only 4 items you would find at a NY Jewish deli:

pastrami, corned beef, bagels and chopped liver.

However, I would go there just for the Jewish rye bread, if it's any good. I can tolerate the location during the daytime.

Also lox and bagels.

I agree the menu is limited but if you go to Katz's NYC most people are eating corned beef or pastrami, so, so what?

post-37101-049549300 1286884054_thumb.jp

Not true at all. The patrons of Katz's eat a wide variety of delicious Kosher food. You don't know what you're talking about.

However, I would go there just for the Jewish rye bread, if it's any good. I can tolerate the location during the daytime.

Also lox and bagels.

I agree the menu is limited but if you go to Katz's NYC most people are eating corned beef or pastrami, so, so what?

post-37101-049549300 1286884054_thumb.jp

Not true at all. The patrons of Katz's eat a wide variety of delicious Kosher food. You don't know what you're talking about.

Fine. I will accept your dig. I have been to Katz's NYC but I am not a New Yorker. We aren't going to get anything even approaching the fabulousness of Katz's in Pattaya or Thailand EVER. It's not in the cards. But the corned beef and pastrami sandwiches are indeed very famous at Katz's, and if a local place can even do those at all well (and a few other items), that is certainly better than nothing.

Edited by Jingthing

Blue Parrot Soi isn't very gay, I don't think.

Have been there in the past year or so...I would estimate in terms of go-gos, it's 2/3rds gay 1/3 straight now. Sheeze, someplace cald Hunk A-go-go is just about opposite Blue Parrot. In addition, keep in mind that Kitten Club in the Penthouse Hotel features 1/2 ladyboys in its "girl" line-up, and then maybe 1/3 to 1/2 of Cafe New Oleans diners are gay (either Western couples or old-guys with their rent-boys). So yes, both Pattayaland sois are definitely trending very pink unsure.gif

Decided to remove my post as thought it would be taken the wrong way.It just really onl;y pointed out that being in a gay area would keep me and (I'm sure) many people away. Good luck to the owner anyway.

Edited by Wavefloater

Also lox and bagels.

I did mention bagels, and lox is just something people put on bagels.

Look at the menu. It's as much an Italian deli (there are 4 different Italian cold cuts on the menu) as a Jewish deli. Nothing wrong with that, but maybe it shouldn't be touted as a Jewish deli, but rather a deli, or international deli. I'm not going to list off all the items a proper Jewish deli offers, but there are certain ones you would expect to see:

beef brisket

matzoh ball soup

challah

knishes

cheesecake

I'm glad they are offering the Jewish deli menu items, and I'll give it a try within the next month. Not expecting much from the pastrami and corned beef (always too lean in Thailand), but the rye bread, kaiser rolls and bagels are enough to give it a shot. I think they could possibly market the baked goods to some of the supermarkets, if they are actually baked in Thailand, rather than being imported frozen.

The more common Euro-deli items are available at MANY places. Jewish deli items are NOT. They don't market as a Jewish deli, they market as DELI, but with their core of Jewish deli offerings, personally it is clear to me they are indeed trying to do something very different for Pattaya. Let's not get all anal about labels here.

I been keen to find a place that does decent NYC style sandwiches etc.. However like has been said by other the location is offputting.

Despite the media blitz of propaganda telling us all how normal and accepted homosexuality is these day.. I still think that many people are uncomfortable when surrounded by gay guys pawing their boyfriend or barfine. No worse that seeing an old straight guy pawing at his young female companion ( I don't think that is acceptable in public either) But I have eaten in several resto's down in the gay center of Jomptien and the behavior of a couple of American gays and and their 'boys' really wasn't acceptable in public.. I don't want to tar all gays with the same brush as many know how to act in a decent resto.. But I'd have a hard time going into boyztown to visit a deli.. I'm not worried about people thinking I'm gay or that sort of nonsense but I don't need the attention/catcals from the working boys or the spectacle that some gays insist on creating.. Same as the other poster.. I wouldn't want to eat in Soi 6 either for much the same reasons.

I been keen to find a place that does decent NYC style sandwiches etc.. However like has been said by other the location is offputting.

Despite the media blitz of propaganda telling us all how normal and accepted homosexuality is these day.. I still think that many people are uncomfortable when surrounded by gay guys pawing their boyfriend or barfine. No worse that seeing an old straight guy pawing at his young female companion ( I don't think that is acceptable in public either) But I have eaten in several resto's down in the gay center of Jomptien and the behavior of a couple of American gays and and their 'boys' really wasn't acceptable in public.. I don't want to tar all gays with the same brush as many know how to act in a decent resto.. But I'd have a hard time going into boyztown to visit a deli.. I'm not worried about people thinking I'm gay or that sort of nonsense but I don't need the attention/catcals from the working boys or the spectacle that some gays insist on creating.. Same as the other poster.. I wouldn't want to eat in Soi 6 either for much the same reasons.

what about the aroma of vaseline and baby oil, would that put you off:blink:

Is the 10% service charge on take-out as well? Wine Connection do this and I cant stand it.

You cant charge service charge on making a sandwich for someone to take-away, that's not service, that's the product.

Yes seems most places are going this way, complete rip off and makes me think about visiting again .. id certainly never pay service charge for a f'en sandwich thats just pushing it too far.

Is this a start of a new war in Pattaya?

Pastrami vs. Kebab?

Kebab is good in Arab countries or in Europe in areas with a high Turkish population. What I tasted here does not even come close. And Pastrami? Who needs it?

Is this a start of a new war in Pattaya?

Pastrami vs. Kebab?

Kebab is good in Arab countries or in Europe in areas with a high Turkish population. What I tasted here does not even come close. And Pastrami? Who needs it?

Frankly, I don't see the connection, kebab vs. pastrami. Apples and oranges really. Nobody needs anything good. We can survive on gruel.

Next ...

B) Don't some groups get a 10 percent discount??:unsure:

I don't like the service charges any more than anyone else, but I can't see the point of being dogmatic about it. If a place offers what you like, and even more so if a place is doing something unique you can't get other places, you are only punishing yourself by boycotting over the service charge. I think New Orleans Cafe has a service charge too, not sure, but so, perhaps company policy. Don't remember if Amor did, wouldn't be surprised. Anyway, I would tip anyway even for a sandwich served in a nice setting, so depending on the total, maybe 10 percent would be above what I would normally tip, probably not by much.

Edited by Jingthing

I have to agree, New Orleans Cafe is not good value in my estimation. However, they are still in business after all these years, so from their business point of view, they are clearing doing something right. I was never that impressed with their food anyway, so not a big loss for me, but if there was something they did that I just had to have, well, I would pay it.

Just to clarify a few of the points that have been raised on this thread.

We are not a New York or Jewish Deli and have never said that we are. We offer a delicatessen pure and simple. We do offer some of the things that you would find in a N.Y Deli such as corned beef, pastrami, bagels, coleslaw, potato salad and chopped liver. In addition we have both honey and smoked ham (guaranteed not to be kosher), both roasted and smoked turkey breast, not the turkey roll but the real breast imported from the US and roasted or smoked here.

Being in Thailand it is not always possible to find some of the ingredients readily available in the US but we have tried to come as close as we can to the originals, in what we do

We also offer a wide selection of imported Italian cold cuts and French, Italian, Dutch, Swiss and English cheeses. All our Deli products are available to take home, just like in the supermarkets.

Our Corned Beef and Pastrami Sandwiches are 200g. of meat (about 8 ounces) with a half sandwich available of 100g. (about 4 ounces). The other deli sandwiches are 150 g. of meat. The Imported Italian dried cold cuts a bit less, as they would to strong, tough and expensive in that size.

As soon as our hot kitchen is ready we will also offer 40’ish hot dishes, some from our old Amor Menu and some new ones.

We are also a Wine Bar with a wine list consisting of over 50 wines at very reasonable prices; the list is up on our web site. We have 12 wines and a champagne on offer by the glass.

And while you sip your wine or nibble on your sandwich or hot food you will be surrounded by some of the most unique art available in Thailand. Feel free to wander around and browse, as all the art work and the upstairs home décor is available for sale. Prices are marked on each item.

For, you see, we are also an art gallery!

With regards to the question of service charge raised by some of you, we have taken your comments into consideration and have decided to discontinue the service charge on the Deli and Drinks Menus, as well as, on the Wine List, there was never going to be a service charge on the Takeaway menu.

At Street Life we offer a very unique experience and hope to be able to serve you soon.

Richard

Manager

Street Life

Best of luck in your new venture, Richard. I didn't mean to suggest you were actually doing a New York deli, but seriously I am sure there isn't another place in town doing corned beef on rye with chicken liver, so you indeed are doing something new in town with your food with the New York deli offerings. That turkey on "The Queen" sounds great as well.

Could you please comment on the source of your BAGELS? Are they unique to your place or generally available. Sorry to say I have yet to have a decent bagel in Thailand. Your menu appears to promise a special bagel, so do tell us more if you please.

I do want to make a request though. Any chance you can do some kind of deli style soup to go with a 1/2 order of pastrami or corned beef (or any sandwich for that matter). If you can do matzoh ball soup, OK, it's a niche market that really wants that, but for that niche you would certainly attract them.

post-37101-092614400 1287074476_thumb.jp

I feel like her.

Edited by Jingthing

BTW, I just reread Richard's post and what great news that a little old thread on thaivisa could influence the policy of a new restaurant. He is dropping the service charge on sandwiches and drinks, yippee! And it was never on takeout. Cleared up! Fantabulous.

NO EXCUSES NOW!

Now, you simply must try Richard's not a deli but has deli food (confusing but fun!). And do not forget to report back to us with your impressions.

I have one bone to pick though. Even though I have been honest that I haven't been a fan of Amor, I was fair minded about it realizing many did like it, and here on this thread I think I have helped you get A LOT of FREE PUBLICITY. Now I am certainly not asking for even a free pickle, perish the thought, not even to mention some free fresh meat from the street, but I ask you, really, would a THANK YOU kill you? Oy!

Edited by Jingthing

no point defending yourself as they will rip you apart on here regardless, even if you do great food and great prices

Who will? I think it's great the owner or manager has posted on here and clarified some issues.

no point defending yourself as they will rip you apart on here regardless, even if you do great food and great prices

Who will? I think it's great the owner or manager has posted on here and clarified some issues.

Agreed 100 percent.