Thai army chief: Political gatherings banned during UN chief's visit

webfact

The Reds started the killing, the army finished it,

because the Reds left them no choice, as was the red plan.

And then to whine on forever about it. Also part of the plan.

equally, such can be said...

The Army started the killing, the Reds finished it,

because the Army left them no choice, as was the army plan.

And then to whine on forever about it. Also part of the plan.

I am not disputing you, all I am saying is that there is an equal and opposit side to your argument, depending with side you are with. Since the government will not be disclosing the autopsy, and the investigation findings report for say, another 50 years, both argument will still remains as personal views, and will equally be valid.

• Replies 454
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Nick Nostitz - New Mandela CANNOT be trusted. I think he lie.

Attached is the invitation form of the Government Spokesman Bureau to the Press conference of the Secretary-General of the UN and the Prime Minister. It contains the part where questions intended to be asked are to be submitted beforehand. I attended the press conference, but decided this time not to ask a question. I do not know if a question of mine would have been permitted or not, what was explained to me was that time constraints forced the organizers to permit only very few questions, and i did not have an urgent or important question to ask at this time.

Furthermore - i have no problem with people discussing/criticizing my work as long as it stays within limits of politeness and the legally permitted. Everybody is entitled to his views, and to different interpretation of facts. Nevertheless, several of the posts here come very close to libel. Be advised that from now on i will file libel cases when i see comments about me that cross the legally permitted.

For your information - i am an accredited journalist with a Thai press card issued to foreign correspondents, i do work factually and keep up the ethical standards of my profession (especially concerning corroboration of information!), i am not a Red Shirt, i do not accept bribes, i do not work in the "underground" - all my articles appear under my name and i always visibly carry my press card when working in protests of yellow and red, and i will definitely not tolerate any accusation of lese majeste.

Thank you.

Media_Availability_UNSG_natapanu_version1.doc

Comments on moderation removed. I suggest using the ignore function if you simply can't deal with dissenting opinions. Misusing the report function will not be tolerated anymore.

Everyone is free to express their opinion, so long as they don't violate forum rules. Further comments on moderation will earn a week's rest.

Attached is the invitation form of the Government Spokesman Bureau to the Press conference of the Secretary-General of the UN and the Prime Minister. It contains the part where questions intended to be asked are to be submitted beforehand. I attended the press conference, but decided this time not to ask a question. I do not know if a question of mine would have been permitted or not, what was explained to me was that time constraints forced the organizers to permit only very few questions, and i did not have an urgent or important question to ask at this time.

Furthermore - i have no problem with people discussing/criticizing my work as long as it stays within limits of politeness and the legally permitted. Everybody is entitled to his views, and to different interpretation of facts. Nevertheless, several of the posts here come very close to libel. Be advised that from now on i will file libel cases when i see comments about me that cross the legally permitted.

For your information - i am an accredited journalist with a Thai press card issued to foreign correspondents, i do work factually and keep up the ethical standards of my profession (especially concerning corroboration of information!), i am not a Red Shirt, i do not accept bribes, i do not work in the "underground" - all my articles appear under my name and i always visibly carry my press card when working in protests of yellow and red, and i will definitely not tolerate any accusation of lese majeste.

Thank you.

Welcome !!!

And well said.

philw

begin removed ...

Thank you.

I accept your reply, have only read a bit about you and snippets of things, can't really judge.

I'm only wondering about 'i will definitely not tolerate any accusation of lese majeste'. Maybe my mis-understanding, but it sounds like a threat in case someone accuses you, or in case another is accused. Could you elaborate, or rephrase ?

You should do a bit more research. After all New Mandala has featured Giles U .... an "academic" that even his university wouldn't tolerate and who is wanted on LM charges here in Thailand (and who appeared on stage with the Reds). Nick N. is so far left that he appear to be right-wing. NM is basically a blog and Nick N's drama-queen stuff from May did in fact make me laugh. I think he may have been the ONLY person on the scene that didn't hear gunfights .. ;)

Most people wouldn't associate Giles and Nick.I know what Giles's politics are but I have no idea about Nick's.What on earth makes you think he is far left?

By the way New Mandala isn't a blog.It is produced with some intelligence and real in depth knowledge with many contributors.

Of course there will always be a place for hysterical low brow reactionaries on Thai Visa.

begin removed ...

Thank you.

I accept your reply, have only read a bit about you and snippets of things, can't really judge.

I'm only wondering about 'i will definitely not tolerate any accusation of lese majeste'. Maybe my mis-understanding, but it sounds like a threat in case someone accuses you, or in case another is accused. Could you elaborate, or rephrase ?

"Thai press card", "Student card", "techer card", "Driving license", etc are 200 Baht baht each, sold openly at Khao San Road. Yes, openly on the main street itself.

begin removed ...

Thank you.

"Thai press card", "Student card", "techer card", "Driving license", etc are 200 Baht baht each, sold openly at Khao San Road. Yes, openly on the main street itself.

As usual for me just wondering. Assuming your reply is related to my post, it seems you may want to insinuate that dear NickNostitz has been to Khao San Rd. to acquire his 'Thai Press' card. I have no comment on that, but Nick might ;)

begin removed ...

Thank you.

Yes, it is a clear threat of taking legal action in case somebody accuses me of this.

In this volatile political conflict this accusation is quite easily thrown against people that one may not agree with, and does tremendous damage this way. It brings the accused even into physical danger. I do work within the legal space, and make sure that everything i write complies with the law.

As to judging my work - just put my name into google, and read what i wrote. Much of my work about the political conflict in Thailand i have published as a guest commentator in New Mandala - which is a blog owned by two researchers of the Australian National University. I have also published one book on the conflict already (the second volume is soon to be published). The first book has received mostly very good reviews, by academics such as Chris Baker and Kevin Hewison. But judge for yourself, you are free not to like or agree with my work. ;)

Here is a link to the blog:

http://asiapacific.a....au/newmandala/

But note please: i am only responsible for my articles, not for what anybody else writes

Thank you.

For your own sanity, please avoid this forum. And good luck with whatever you report.

This is the last time i comment to such insinuations.

I am accredited in Thailand as a foreign correspondent. My press card has been issued by the Public Relations Department, after thorough check ups by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs.

If you suggest one more time that i have broken the law by using a fake press card - we will meet in court. Libel is a criminal offense in Thailand, and will be punished by a prison term. Be warned - the internet is not as anonymous as you may think.

begin removed ...

Thank you.

Yes, it is a clear threat of taking legal action in case somebody accuses me of this.

In this volatile political conflict this accusation is quite easily thrown against people that one may not agree with, and does tremendous damage this way. It brings the accused even into physical danger. I do work within the legal space, and make sure that everything i write complies with the law.

As to judging my work - just put my name into google, and read what i wrote. Much of my work about the political conflict in Thailand i have published as a guest commentator in New Mandala - which is a blog owned by two researchers of the Australian National University. I have also published one book on the conflict already (the second volume is soon to be published). The first book has received mostly very good reviews, by academics such as Chris Baker and Kevin Hewison. But judge for yourself, you are free not to like or agree with my work. ;)

But note please: i am only responsible for my articles, not for what anybody else writes

OK, clear. I gather you have both admirers and distractors. Even on NewMandela it seems. NM shows more than one vision and tries to be open-minded, first quick, probably not completely accurate impression.

As for LM, this NewMandala article seems to point a finger at you

http://asiapacific.anu.edu.au/newmandala/2010/03/26/history-will-not-forgive-us/

(edit: change enemies to distractors)

Edited by rubl

OK, clear. I gather you have both admirers and enemies. Even on NewMandela it seems. NM shows more than one vision and tries to be open-minded, first quick, probably not completely accurate impression.

As for LM, this NewMandala article seems to point a finger at you

http://asiapacific.a...not-forgive-us/

Not really. It refers to an article i wrote over the first week or so of the Red Shirt protests ('Bangkok or Bust'), in which i have shown a photo of several copies of this magazine displayed for sale at one of the Red Shirt stalls. My photo does not contain anything illegal.

Edited by nicknostitz

You should do a bit more research. After all New Mandala has featured Giles U .... an "academic" that even his university wouldn't tolerate and who is wanted on LM charges here in Thailand (and who appeared on stage with the Reds). Nick N. is so far left that he appear to be right-wing. NM is basically a blog and Nick N's drama-queen stuff from May did in fact make me laugh. I think he may have been the ONLY person on the scene that didn't hear gunfights .. ;)

Most people wouldn't associate Giles and Nick.I know what Giles's politics are but I have no idea about Nick's.What on earth makes you think he is far left?

By the way New Mandala isn't a blog.It is produced with some intelligence and real in depth knowledge with many contributors.

Of course there will always be a place for hysterical low brow reactionaries on Thai Visa.

Am I a "low brow reactionary" if I can recognise what a "blog" is?

begin removed ...

Thank you.

Hello Nick, nice to talk (cordially) with a serious journalist who seems to care about Thailand. I have read and agree with some of what you write... not all, of course.

But I have to pin you down on this: do you believe the UDD/Red Shirt leadership represent the cause of the Red Shirt supporters?

Stickman: While the tone of the book is genuinely impartial, you personally do seem to be more on the side of those wearing red. Am I right?

Nick Nostitz: Well it's difficult to say. I do have sympathies for the ordinary red shirt protestors. Many of their demands are absolutely justified. Even if I may not agree, especially on the point of Thaksin Shinawatra, they do have a right to express their views and I think that right was taken away from them in the military coup and has not yet been completely given back to them. A lot of the complaints the PAD has on the system are justified as well yet I have huge problems with their ideology and their proposed solutions.

On a similar note to my above point, the NPP/PAD/Yellow Shirt leadership are not exactly championing the cause of the tens of thousands of PAD supporters for exactly the reasons you give above.

And another thing up for discussion - I believe that Thaksin was paying a lot of people to cause as much damage as possible, including slaying Red Shirt supporters and army personnel alike, in a bid to cause enough chaos that would pave his return as the saviour of Thailand. Let's keep the monarchy out of it, but there are also these "President Thaksin" and "No Deep South of Thailand" ideas flying around, or there certainly was amongst the Black Shirts when they got drunk in the evening. Do you believe otherwise? Just asking, by the way - but I also believe that Thaksin's money has indeed influenced the sway of many high-profile news correspondents.

And finally - what are your ties with Ji Ungpakorn, if any?

Edited by Pi Sek

Hello Nick, nice to talk (cordially) with a serious journalist who seems to care about Thailand. I have read and agree with some of what you write... not all, of course.

But I have to pin you down on this: do you believe the UDD/Red Shirt leadership represent the cause of the Red Shirt supporters?

Stickman: While the tone of the book is genuinely impartial, you personally do seem to be more on the side of those wearing red. Am I right?

Nick Nostitz: Well it's difficult to say. I do have sympathies for the ordinary red shirt protestors. Many of their demands are absolutely justified. Even if I may not agree, especially on the point of Thaksin Shinawatra, they do have a right to express their views and I think that right was taken away from them in the military coup and has not yet been completely given back to them. A lot of the complaints the PAD has on the system are justified as well yet I have huge problems with their ideology and their proposed solutions.

On a similar note to my above point, the NPP/PAD/Yellow Shirt leadership are not exactly championing the cause of the tens of thousands of PAD supporters for exactly the reasons you give above.

And another thing up for discussion - I believe that Thaksin was paying a lot of people to cause as much damage as possible, including slaying Red Shirt supporters and army personnel alike, in a bid to cause enough chaos that would pave his return as the saviour of Thailand. Let's keep the monarchy out of it, but there are also these "President Thaksin" and "No Deep South of Thailand" ideas flying around, or there certainly was amongst the Black Shirts when they got drunk in the evening. Do you believe otherwise? Just asking, by the way - but I also believe that Thaksin's money has indeed influenced the sway of many high-profile news correspondents.

And finally - what are your ties with Ki Ungpakorn, if any?

The Red Shirt leadership is very diverse (as are the Red Shirts themselves). It is quite difficult to answer this question if i feel they represent the cause of ordinary supporters. Briefly i would say that it depends on the individual leaders (some are more committed than others), and it depends on the different positions their respective followers have. There have always been, since the days of the anti-coup movement, conflicts between different factions of Red Shirts, and also within their leadership. Nevertheless these conflicts were not so severe that they cannot collaborate anymore. This whole movement is also to be seen as a constantly developing movement, especially in terms of political ideology.

As to the NPP and PAD, this movement, even though not much reported has massive internal problems, much more than the Red Shirts. Therefore you saw at the recent Oct. 7 commemoration only about 1000 PAD members attending, far less than the previous year's event. Also the recent elections have shown a very disappointing result for the NPP.

As to the armed militants, at this point i do not want to go into too much detail of this issue as i have not finished yet my research, and i will present it at a later time in context. There is no doubt that they were existing (i have seen them once briefly operating, where they were firing grenades at military positions and stated so, here, in comment no 70: http://asiapacific.a...e-killing-zone/ ). The claims of the government that those militants have shot the Red Shirt victims are more than unlikely. I personally have been at several scenes where i can state that without any doubt whatsoever soldiers have fired at Red Shirts, killed and injured several right in front of me. Also, and that is very important - the use of the term "Black Shirts" is a misnomer. Most Red Shirt guards were dressed in black, but most of them had nothing to do with the militants, and knew very little or nothing whatsoever about the militants.

As to the accusations of Thaksin's money having influenced high profile journalists - more than unlikely. This is a very serious accusation, and it would need proof. No proof of such accusations has ever been presented by the accusers. Many of these high profile journalists accused are friends and very dear colleagues of mine, they take their job very serious. I myself have been on numerous times been accused of having accepted huge bribes by Thaksin, which is completely ridiculous.

As to my "ties" with Giles, we are on a personal level friends (haven't been much in contact though since he left Thailand), but i do not share his politics. He is a Marxist/Trotzkyist, i am not. But everybody has his/her right to his political convictions. I have also many friends who are very sincere royalists - also in the military. I do like to have a very diverse group of friends. I do not have that many own politics, i am sort of a social liberal, but foremost a pragmatic - i like a system that works. I do not make politics, i take photos, and i write about stuff.

And finally - what are your ties with Ki Ungpakorn, if any?

The Red Shirt leadership is very diverse (as are the Red Shirts themselves). It is quite difficult to answer this question if i feel they represent the cause of ordinary supporters. Briefly i would say that it depends on the individual leaders (some are more committed than others), and it depends on the different positions their respective followers have. There have always been, since the days of the anti-coup movement, conflicts between different factions of Red Shirts, and also within their leadership. Nevertheless these conflicts were not so severe that they cannot collaborate anymore. This whole movement is also to be seen as a constantly developing movement, especially in terms of political ideology.

As to the NPP and PAD, this movement, even though not much reported has massive internal problems, much more than the Red Shirts. Therefore you saw at the recent Oct. 7 commemoration only about 1000 PAD members attending, far less than the previous year's event. Also the recent elections have shown a very disappointing result for the NPP.

As to the armed militants, at this point i do not want to go into too much detail of this issue as i have not finished yet my research, and i will present it at a later time in context. There is no doubt that they were existing (i have seen them once briefly operating, where they were firing grenades at military positions and stated so, here, in comment no 70: http://asiapacific.a...e-killing-zone/ ). The claims of the government that those militants have shot the Red Shirt victims are more than unlikely. I personally have been at several scenes where i can state that without any doubt whatsoever soldiers have fired at Red Shirts, killed and injured several right in front of me. Also, and that is very important - the use of the term "Black Shirts" is a misnomer. Most Red Shirt guards were dressed in black, but most of them had nothing to do with the militants, and knew very little or nothing whatsoever about the militants.

As to the accusations of Thaksin's money having influenced high profile journalists - more than unlikely. This is a very serious accusation, and it would need proof. No proof of such accusations has ever been presented by the accusers. Many of these high profile journalists accused are friends and very dear colleagues of mine, they take their job very serious. I myself have been on numerous times been accused of having accepted huge bribes by Thaksin, which is completely ridiculous.

As to my "ties" with Giles, we are on a personal level friends (haven't been much in contact though since he left Thailand), but i do not share his politics. He is a Marxist/Trotzkyist, i am not. But everybody has his/her right to his political convictions. I have also many friends who are very sincere royalists - also in the military. I do like to have a very diverse group of friends. I do not have that many own politics, i am sort of a social liberal, but foremost a pragmatic - i like a system that works. I do not make politics, i take photos, and i write about stuff.

Thanks for this. In trying to understand the motivations of an umbrella group like the 'red shirts', it can only be considered an implacable barrier that a key grievance of a significant number of them - non-violent and also possibly violent - is illegal to communicate.

Also, and that is very important - the use of the term "Black Shirts" is a misnomer. Most Red Shirt guards were dressed in black, but most of them had nothing to do with the militants, and knew very little or nothing whatsoever about the militants.

Sorry but I absolutely do not believe this. There has been at least two occasions where the red shirt guards have been giving orders to the red shirt protesters which conveniently kept them out the path of grenades fired soon after. This happened on 10th April (listen to the guy who recorded the ThaiFAQ videos comments from the scene), and the comments on a popular YouTube video of two protesters who witnessed the "men in black" firing at the army.

Also in the Silom attacks there were also reports of red shirt guards keeping the protesters attacking the PAD back to a certain point until the first grenades were fired.

/edit - again posting this video which IMO shows clear collusion (and support) between the two groups. I would seriously appreciate your comments.

Edited by Insight

Thank you.

Njoy yourself over here. Long time no see.

I think you'll find the person who you responded to enjoys winding people up and more

Have you been covering any of the flood stuff by the way

I think you'll find the person who you responded to enjoys winding people up and more

Winding up people is his choice. If the person breaks libel laws while doing that with me - he may enjoy his day in court as well.

Not really interested in the flood - as long as i am not assigned and paid to do that, i won't bother. I have no real personal interest in the flood - i have been 15 years ago under water for three months myself while living in a village outside Bangkok. Water comes, water goes, but i will spend my energy on this socio-political conflict. ;)

Winding up people is his choice. If the person breaks libel laws while doing that with me - he may enjoy his day in court as well.

Not really interested in the flood - as long as i am not assigned and paid to do that, i won't bother. I have no real personal interest in the flood - i have been 15 years ago under water for three months myself while living in a village outside Bangkok. Water comes, water goes, but i will spend my energy on this socio-political conflict. ;)

While water comes and goes as do news cycles, socio-political conflict has a habit of dragging on for a long time. You may have a few more years of employment and a few more books before this one is out.

Also, and that is very important - the use of the term "Black Shirts" is a misnomer. Most Red Shirt guards were dressed in black, but most of them had nothing to do with the militants, and knew very little or nothing whatsoever about the militants.

Sorry but I absolutely do not believe this. There has been at least two occasions where the red shirt guards have been giving orders to the red shirt protesters which conveniently kept them out the path of grenades fired soon after. This happened on 10th April (listen to the guy who recorded the ThaiFAQ videos comments from the scene), and the comments on a popular YouTube video of two protesters who witnessed the "men in black" firing at the army.

Also in the Silom attacks there were also reports of red shirt guards keeping the protesters attacking the PAD back to a certain point until the first grenades were fired.

/edit - again posting this video which IMO shows clear collusion (and support) between the two groups. I would seriously appreciate your comments.

Wow...great video. Did Jatuporn show this to the UN? :)

Am I a "low brow reactionary" if I can recognise what a "blog" is?

You're right NM is a blog.I normally think of a blog as a single source but on reflection that's not really a prerequisite.

As for low brow reactionaries all that's necessary is to read posts and come to a conclusion on an appropriate label.

Sorry but I absolutely do not believe this.

You are free to believe what you want.

Please note: I said "most", not "all". I also said "very little or nothing whatsoever".

Well its contradictions such as this which tear down any impression you attempt to give of being impartial IMO.

I was under the impression you worked as a freelance journalist, no?

Edited by Insight

Furthermore - i have no problem with people discussing/criticizing my work as long as it stays within limits of politeness and the legally permitted. Everybody is entitled to his views, and to different interpretation of facts. Nevertheless, several of the posts here come very close to libel. Be advised that from now on i will file libel cases when i see comments about me that cross the legally permitted. u.

You need to get thicker skin or expect to not be able to work in any nation outside of Thailand - where you cannot threaten detractors with criminal libel cases.

That libel cases is here a criminal offense is a pathetic joke and an important left-over of the elite-controlled system the Red Shirts say they want to fight.

Just a note...

Furthermore - i have no problem with people discussing/criticizing my work as long as it stays within limits of politeness and the legally permitted. Everybody is entitled to his views, and to different interpretation of facts. Nevertheless, several of the posts here come very close to libel. Be advised that from now on i will file libel cases when i see comments about me that cross the legally permitted. u.

You need to get thicker skin or expect to not be able to work in any nation outside of Thailand - where you cannot threaten detractors with criminal libel cases.

That libel cases is here a criminal offense is a pathetic joke and an important left-over of the elite-controlled system the Red Shirts say they want to fight.

Just a note...

What a nonsensical reply! Making false accusations about someone's professional qualifications and accreditations is libelous/slanderous in most of the world.

Welcome to the forum, Nick. Though, should you stick around, you will find it nigh-on impossible to have civilised debate: The low-brow reactionaries that dominate these threads fight dirty, will see you as a serious threat and will do their utmost to discredit you and wear you down. Familiarise yourself with the forum rules.

Hope you do stick around. You'll bring some much-needed balance.

Just a note...

What a nonsensical reply! Making false accusations about someone's professional qualifications and accreditations is libelous/slanderous in most of the world.

Welcome to the forum, Nick. Though, should you stick around, you will find it nigh-on impossible to have civilised debate: The low-brow reactionaries that dominate these threads fight dirty, will see you as a serious threat and will do their utmost to discredit you and wear you down. Familiarise yourself with the forum rules.

Hope you do stick around. You'll bring some much-needed balance.

Please explain where you find false accusations in the reply from TAWP you quote. It may be me, but I can't find them.

Sorry but I absolutely do not believe this.

You are free to believe what you want.

Please note: I said "most", not "all". I also said "very little or nothing whatsoever".

Well its contradictions such as this which tear down any impression you attempt to give of being impartial IMO.

I was under the impression you worked as a freelance journalist, no?

I am not going into a cheap point scoring match here. You are free to believe what you want, including to feel that my work is not "impartial" - i have no time trying to convince you otherwise.

And yes, i am a freelancer. But that still means that in order to live and work legally in Thailand i have to get my accreditation through the Ministry of Foreign affairs.