Why No Hyundais In Bangkok?

george

Why no Hyundais in Bangkok?

...For Hyundai, Thailand slaps such high tariffs on imported cars that it can’t afford to export them. Obviously, Hyundai could avert the high levy by opening local factories but has not done so after closing one in 1997.

...At any rate, Hyundai’s departure is still remembered by those in the decision-making roles as well as the public, making it difficult for the world’s fifth largest carmaker to come back, the person said.

Thailand’s tariff on imported cars runs up to 80 percent of the car’s price. The only way to avoid it is to manufacture cars here, the method adopted by the Japanese players that dominate the Thailand markets...

Source: - Korea Times, October 27, 2010

http://www.koreatimes.co.kr/www/news/biz/2010/10/123_75302.html

As MCA pointed out, the Hyundai H-1 is a very strong seller in it's segment.

The Tuscon might manage 30 or 40 units in total this year if they're lucky though ;)

If Hyundai want to sell cars in Thailand the solution is simple: setup shop in Thailand or one of the neigboring ASEAN FTA countries. Lobbying/hoping to be invited into the ASEAN FTA pact is a pipe dream IMHO, as it'd be a one-way street that goes Korea's way only. Rich nations need not apply..

The import duties imposed on cars in Thailand were designed to protect and promote Thailand's automotive industry, and frankly, they've done the job superbly. If you had a country of 66M+ people, who buy > 700,000 new cars each year, wouldn't you implement a tax regime that insures that you're keeping some of the resulting jobs, profits and technology at home?

No great loss Hyundai cars are not very good and expensive to repair.

Mine never went wrong.

Bought a Hyundai Tucson 4 years ago and it has not cost me a penny.

Fantastic value for money.

Australian motoring magazine had them as being the most expensive to repair out of all Asian small cars after front end collision.

No great loss Hyundai cars are not very good and expensive to repair.

Mine never went wrong.

Bought a Hyundai Tucson 4 years ago and it has not cost me a penny.

Fantastic value for money.

Australian motoring magazine had them as being the most expensive to repair out of all Asian small cars after front end collision.

Many Hyundia here. They get a good write up. I am waiting on my new Hyundai iLoad Crew van arriving. Should be here by December.

Yes Many Hyundai's here, maybe for me because the is a Hyundai Showroom not far from me.

Maybe some people mistake the Hyundai for a different make ?

H-1 people carriers loads about, maybe some think it is the Benz people carriers ? side and rear easy mistake

+ cost a fraction of the Benz.. + cheaper than the Toyota

Sonata also lots on the road maybe some think it is the Honda Accord ? 2008 Sonata onwards would be an easy mistake..

Only it has more standard kit + a lot cheaper than the Accord

Not sure here but in Europe Hyundai has something like a 7 yr warranties

Yes Many Hyundai's here, maybe for me because the is a Hyundai Showroom not far from me.

H-1 people carriers loads about, maybe some think it is the Benz people carriers ? side and rear easy mistake

Sonata also lots on the road maybe some think it is the Honda Accord ? 2008 Sonata onwards would be an easy mistake..

5 years warranty here. Cheaper than Toyota, Merc etc etc. The iload has won the best van for the last couple of years. Years ago Hyundia were not as good as they are now. Can't wait to get mine.

I doubt they send them to Australia for repairs?

I also would assume most people have fairly good insurance coverage on new cars covering the costs.

And as stated their warranty is fairly long compared to Japanese brands.

5 years warranty here. Cheaper than Toyota, Merc etc etc. The iload has won the best van for the last couple of years. Years ago Hyundia were not as good as they are now. Can't wait to get mine.

The Hyundai Warranty is a One Two Warranty????????????........Once you have purchased a Hi---Un ------Day ....Its Too Bloody Late......biggrin.gif