Western Union And Moneygram?

TJCCNC

Hello, can anyone tell me if Western Union or Moneygram is better for sending money to the US from Thailand? Also, what are the fees associated with this? Are the fees a flat rate or a percentage (if a percentage, what is it?)? I am looking to pay back a loan at about $50.00 a month. Any advice is appreciated. Thanks!:)

It all depends on where the recipient is, if there's a WU office nearer than a MG office then go with that one. They charge a fee that increases with the amount you send, from the UK it's £4.90 per £50, (WU, haven't used MG) so, similar the other way round I reckon. Exchange rate isn't great either, so if you can do it by bank transfer it might be cheaper, but for small amounts like you suggest, might not be much of a difference really. Depends what's easier for you and the person you're sending to.

:)

These are extremely expensive ways to send money. It's gonna raise your "interest" rate on this loan dramatically.

I agree. Going from memory, WU's minimum fee is somewhere in the order of 600 - 700 baht, which is US $20 - $23 at current exchange rates. That is an awfully expensive fee to send $50.00. Investigate all other alternatives first, such as having your creditor agree to being repaid only every three months,instead of every month. Bangkok Bank, for example, charges 400 baht, which is still awfully expensive in your case.

• 1 month later...

You could always setup a Thai Paypal account and link to your thai bank account.

Then send them money via Paypal. Would cost about $2 per $50 transfer.

I realise this is an old thread but I'd like to add the following comment.

I have lived in Thailand for 10 years and for the first few years I transferred money from my Thai bank account to my daughter's Danish bank account without any problems.

Last month I went to the bank and tried to transfer and was told that I need to produce wage slips for the past 3 months. In the 10 years I have lived here I have never received a wage slip. I deposit the check in the bank every month and they can see in my bank book but they refused to accept that. I went to Western Union and transferred 18,000 Baht and the fee was 1300 Baht. Maybe a little more expensive but was completely hassle free. All I needed was my passport.