Safer Motorcycle Helmet

CMX

I recognize that this may seem as a "bike" topic, but its report is specific to our fair city, Chiang Mai

Nikster it was on another thread identified a shop here in town that carries Real helmets, some of which are DOT or Euro certified. (A new "Real" billboard has been erected on Atsadathorn and Rattanakosin Roads, NW corner.) General belief - I would say - is that Thai helmets are not required to live up to these standards for saving one's head in an accident.

I paid 1200 for a full-face DOT type, after being allowed to try them on. The shop I picked was (as nikster described) along the road running East from the Eastern side of the southbound moat at the point of the last u-turn before Thapae Gate - I found that it is Chang Moi Rd. Shop is on the right, just before the road turns a bit left. They sell tons of things for bikes and Thais shop there in floods.

However, I insisted on MY exact size and color, and an extra scratch-resistant face screen, and forgot to bargain, so I paid 2500 all in. Helmet fits like a glove, well, a well-fitting glove.

That doesn't mean much hoss.The helments are fiberglass.NFL football helments are better and the players get concushions from them on A regular basis.They are just A false sense of security.They'll help in A small fender bender.But ya have A fairly major accident your history no matter what kind of brain bucket you happen to be wearing.Experience on the subject over 45 years.

That doesn't mean much hoss.The helments are fiberglass.NFL football helments are better and the players get concushions from them on A regular basis.They are just A false sense of security.They'll help in A small fender bender.But ya have A fairly major accident your history no matter what kind of brain bucket you happen to be wearing.Experience on the subject over 45 years.

Yep, in 45 years wearing football helmets in all occasions I have made the same experience. While the other other helmets let bullets, debris and bumpers penetrate my brains, them good old football helmets never let me down.

Thrilled,

I dislike wearing motorcycle helmets too. Also seat belts. But I have been convinced that they add to the percentages of not becoming a vegetable or dead.

I wonder, if you are correct in learning from your experiences, why so many institutions/governments require us to wear helmets? Or American footballers, come to that. Are they all wrong?

Edited by CMX

I'd debate whether or not helmets add to safety on a bicycle. I never was convinced, and I never wore one in the city - they add to safety but they also dull your senses and the best defense in city traffic is to pay attention. IMO bicycling in the city is like walking - if you watch out, you're safe. [1]

On a motorbike you kind of exceed that safe speed threshold so I think a helmet is a must. Even a cheap Index will protect you from bad injuries, though I'd argue if you go with a helmet might as well make it a full face one. Do you want to lose your chin? - I don't know it sounds really painful to me, and the first point of impact your head makes with the road is random in an accident. Could be the chin.

Maybe No1 was saying that getting the greatest Arai isn't any better than getting that cheap Index - both protect well from scratches, and both won't help you if you hit a tree at 150. There's an argument to be made for that. Still the Arai will increase your chances of survival in a bad accident, and even if it's a very small increase it's worth the money for some.

Personally I use the high end helmets because they're much more comfortable. I can wear my Arai all day, and I have perfect vision and head movement. I didn't buy it because I think it adds a lot in terms of impact resistance. Once I am airborne in a crash it probably won't be different from an Index cheapo full face helmet in 99% of all cases. But being able to see better definitely adds to safety.

[1] I do wear helmets when mountain biking, and I also would when racing. In fact, I went mountain biking once and my brother insisted I wear his helmet, and I am like OK, fine. We were going down a narrow path in the forest when I must have hit a big rock hidden under foilage - I went flying over the handlebars. Normally not a problem but I had clip-ons and I am not used to those, so the bike pulled my feet and I actually crashed head first into the ground at a high speed. The helmet was broken! I was fine. Without helmet I'd either be dead or had a serious head trauma, hospital, bleeding etc.

Edited by nikster