The Ashes

uptheos

Is "The Ashes" a rugby or a cricket event? I could understand the interest if it's rugby, but if it's cricket why wouldn't you just rather watch baseball? A more evolved game without those stupid wickets? You'll never catch a baseball player wearing a sweater.

Baseball?? That's what we call softball in Australia. Cricket players don't wear sweaters, they are jumpers.

Yeah, love to see a baseball player fielding in the slips to Brett Lee.......without gloves!! laugh.gif

They would be laying on the ground with thier hands covering thier heads. Just imagine them fielding at silly point.

Well, they could wear that NFL gear and put a diaper in. wink.gif

• Replies 220
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What channel is slow pitch on so I can avoid it.

Slow Pitch? That's for the over 40, obese, alcoholics. That said, if you fit any of the criteria it can be fun to play, though it must be excruciating to watch without suitable fortification.

That over 40 hast to be 95% of the posters on this forum.:lol:

What the heck is Slow Pitch anyway?

Its softball in the states. Women play it.

I did ask sandy what time he'd be opening the doors, but can't remember what he said. I don't think he was going to be open as early as 7 though, and i also think he said he'd be making very few if any appearances!

Does anyone know for sure what time the pub will open each cricket day?

And has anyone checked at the truevisions office if they're doing ppv? I doubt it very much, but surprise is a key element of life in thailand...

I did ask sandy what time he'd be opening the doors, but can't remember what he said. I don't think he was going to be open as early as 7 though, and i also think he said he'd be making very few if any appearances!

Does anyone know for sure what time the pub will open each cricket day?

And has anyone checked at the truevisions office if they're doing ppv? I doubt it very much, but surprise is a key element of life in thailand...

Just phoned Greg who says they will open tomorrow at 0730, but not sure about the other days. smile.gif

So, TURDvisions def not showing it then? If UN Irish is the only place showing it they will be packed out!

No Truevisions are not showing it, they really are Turdvisions at times.bah.gif

I'm assuming that UN Irish Pub is the only place showing it as no-one else has come forward.

They really are by far the best regarding sports coverage, just look at their extensive coverage that I posted. smile.gif

They have a big main HD screen (50"?) and two big screens in other rooms/areas, so often they are able to show three different sports at once, which leaves the competition for dead. The last Ashes was a great turnout, generating a lively atmosphere.

You don't have to drink beer all day unless that's what you want. I usually go for soft drinks and tea etc, maybe a beer later, but usually I have a couple of meals there during the lunch and tea period.

Work can ruin one's life...

Hence i'm posting now while everyone else is in the irish watching the action! I hope bell and cook stay in till close. I will be making a mad dash to the pub tomorrow for the session after lunch.

No need to rush now.

Siddle Skittles England...........

Australia fast bowler Peter Siddle celebrated his 26th birthday by snaring a hat-trick on day one of the First Ashes Test, finishing with six wickets in total as England struggled late at the Gabba in Brisbane.

England was bowled out for 260 late in the day after being 2/117 at one stage shortly after lunch, with Australia Test debutant Xavier Doherty chiming in with the last two wickets.

Siddle, who was a controversial selection in the Australia side ahead of fellow fast bowler Doug Bollinger, took the key wickets of Kevin Pietersen and Paul Collingwood in successive overs shortly after lunch, but the best for Australia came in the last session.

The big Victorian dismissed Alastair Cook, Matt Prior and Stuart Broad with consecutive balls mid-way through the last session to secure his first ever hat-trick.

First, Siddle angled a ball across Cook – who had played well for his 67, with the opening batsman edging to Shane Watson at second slip.

England wicketkeeper Matt Prior strode to the crease, but was soon walking back to the pavilion for a duck after Siddle ripped a full-pitched ball straight through to hit Prior's middle stump.

The birthday boy completed his hat-trick by trapping Stuart Broad leg before wicket with a full ball that hit the England all-rounder on the toe in front of the stumps.

Umpire Aleem Dar raised his finger, but England chose to use the first of their two referrals as Broad believed he may have hit the ball. Replays showed Broad hit his foot, and he was on his way.

Siddle then took his sixth scalp when Graeme Swann was out leg before for 10.

Pietersen, who was looking in ominous form, pushed hard at a Siddle delivery just after the lunch break only to find a thick outside edge. Ricky Ponting took the catch comfortably at second slip to send the danger man on his way for 43 with the score 3/117.

Collingwood joined Cook at the crease, but the grafting batsman didn't last long with Siddle again extracting an outside edge, this time caught by Marcus North at third slip as Australia took further advantage of what was a great start to the Test.

Doherty bowled well on debut and was rewarded with the wickets of Ian Bell, caught by Shane Watson in the deep for 76, and James Anderson, bowled for 11.

The in-form Bell was the shining light for England on an otherwise dark day, with captain Andrew Strauss dismissed on just the third ball of the day after having won the toss and elected to bat.

Ben Hilfenhaus handed Australia the perfect start, having Strauss caught at gully by Mike Hussey for a duck, sparking a thunderous roar from the crowd.

Jonathan Trott joined Cook in the middle and began to build the England innings. Both batsmen were looking good as they compiled a 41-run partnership, but as often happens, the drinks break brought with it a bowling change and a lapse in concentration.

Shane Watson's first ball was greeted with a beautiful shot from Trott to the boundary, but the all-rounder soon found his line and length. The final ball of his first over shot through the defence of Trott, bowling him for 29

Watched the first day with friends at UN Irish pub.

Sandy put the TV's on upstairs and downstairs due to the amount of people, Great cricket, great company and great food. I believe Sandy got Star C especially for The Ashes, which is good PR and business sense, as he's apparently cornered the market.

Fair dinkums to the Aussies, they had the best of the first day's play, with England doing their customary Gabba collapse, but hey, congratulations to Siddell getting a hat trick on his birthday - fantastic achievement!. I suggest the Aussies revel in their glory because it won't last long (he says quietly). wink.gif

UN Irish Pub will be opening at 0800 for future days. If you are a cricket lover get yourself along, because the atmosphere is sure to build up towards the weekend when more people have time off.

In cricket there's nothing quite like The Ashes! smile.gif

Especially when the Aussies flog the living daylights out of the poms. sHa_shakeshout.gif

Now how did I know you would show up?

Lord above, if I could have put money on your arrival, I'd be a wealthy man right now. wink.gif

OK, so we've made our customary collapse and let a second rate bowler have his 15 minutes of fame........so now we're going to.............erm..........aah.........what exactly is it we are going to do? huh.gif

Edited by uptheos

Sandy put the TV's on upstairs and downstairs due to the amount of people, Great cricket, great company and great food. I believe Sandy got Star C especially for The Ashes, which is good PR and business sense, as he's apparently cornered the market.

Fair dinkums to the Aussies, they had the best of the first day's play, with England doing their customary Gabba collapse, but hey, congratulations to Siddell getting a hat trick on his birthday - fantastic achievement!. I suggest the Aussies revel in their glory because it won't last long (he says quietly). wink.gif

UN Irish Pub will be opening at 0800 for future days. If you are a cricket lover get yourself along, because the atmosphere is sure to build up towards the weekend when more people have time off.

So where exactly is this place, can you squeeze another aussie in?

For those who can't get to the boozer,

you can see it here:

good quality sportswiththeboss.blogspot.com

Regards

Will

This looks interesting, but can i ask for a bit more help here?

By downloading things that i need to watch stuff, am i increasing my chances of getting viruses? At the moment it's asking me to download free HDi player.

Still fancy the atmosphere at the irish for most of the action though!

So where exactly is this place, can you squeeze another aussie in?

Always room for another Aussie mate, as they'll be thinning out as the series progresses.wink.gif

It's on Rajawithi Road a couple of hundred metres down from the moat on the right hand side.

For those who can't get to the boozer,

you can see it here:

good quality sportswiththeboss.blogspot.com

Regards

Will

This looks interesting, but can i ask for a bit more help here?

By downloading things that i need to watch stuff, am i increasing my chances of getting viruses? At the moment it's asking me to download free HDi player.

Still fancy the atmosphere at the irish for most of the action though!

I too wish that I could download the stuff some people seem to be able to However, with the speeds I get at times, it would probably take forever......I guess technology just isn't my game. sad.gif