Pimp My Ride

rics21

i have a pajero sport 3.2GT, was thinking to do something to it without affecting the 5 years limited warranty of the machine.

i was thinking of:

1. Xenon bulbs for your headlights - Most cars out on the road have a pale yellow complexion to their lights, so i was looking to be something different. (any recommendations?)

2. Waxing my car regularly - where do your guys get the car waxed? i stay around nawamin, and i frequent a car care shop often, but the service there doesnt seems to be good enough?

3. Buying after-market wheels - was thinking to change my 17" mitsu rims for the Lenso 20"s. any recommendations?

4. the Radio Antenna- any PJS drivers here did anything to that "extended" antenna. i looked around for a shorter one, but they dont seen to sell the shorter version for PJS?

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1. Try 4300 Kelvin Xenon's - they're the brightest and don't try to make a statement. Most cars in TH go for 6k-10k for the color (blue to purple), at the expense of usable light. Yellow is at the other end of the spectrum - 3k.

2. DIY. No-one does a better job than you. Buy some good product, and watch the magnitude of videos on YouTube to learn the right techniques.

3. Use Yoko Parada Spec-X if you can justify the expense, otherwise Yoko AVID SUV's so you retain some ride comfort. If going chrome, check the rims carefully for signs of peeling - I've seen a few Lenso wheels now where the chrome is peeling off.

4. Plenty of options, but most will require changing the whole antenna base. If you go shorter you'll lose your simple and reliable low roof warning though ;)

I don't know if changing the bulbs will affect the warranty, but the Mitsu dealer in Chaeng Wattana told me not to touch the lights as that would void the warranty. I don't know if he meant changing to LED lights or just the bulb. You might want to check with your dealer.

I don't know if changing the bulbs will affect the warranty, but the Mitsu dealer in Chaeng Wattana told me not to touch the lights as that would void the warranty. I don't know if he meant changing to LED lights or just the bulb. You might want to check with your dealer.

Heh, my Mitsu dealer asked me whether I could hook them up with my Xenon vendor because they wanted to sell it as a dealer fitted accessory ;)

Heh, my Mitsu dealer asked me whether I could hook them up with my Xenon vendor because they wanted to sell it as a dealer fitted accessory ;)

Does that apply to LED lights as well or just Xenon?

Get a pair of fluffy dice and hang from the rear vision mirror.

If your feeling really freaky, get a disco ball and hang it also......it will have the added advantage of reflecting any Police radar beams so you won't get caught for speeding either ;)

If your feeling really freaky, get a disco ball and hang it also......it will have the added advantage of reflecting any Police radar beams so you won't get caught for speeding either ;)

come on mates, I need some REAL advices.

1. Try 4300 Kelvin Xenon's - they're the brightest and don't try to make a statement. Most cars in TH go for 6k-10k for the color (blue to purple), at the expense of usable light. Yellow is at the other end of the spectrum - 3k.

2. DIY. No-one does a better job than you. Buy some good product, and watch the magnitude of videos on YouTube to learn the right techniques.

3. Use Yoko Parada Spec-X if you can justify the expense, otherwise Yoko AVID SUV's so you retain some ride comfort. If going chrome, check the rims carefully for signs of peeling - I've seen a few Lenso wheels now where the chrome is peeling off.

4. Plenty of options, but most will require changing the whole antenna base. If you go shorter you'll lose your simple and reliable low roof warning though ;)

MRO,

any details on the laws on the Xenon headlamps?

u did it?

how to do attach the Xenon without affecting the warranty.

The only LED's I have are the parking lights (the W5W's in the bottom of the high beam assembly), and yes they were part of the dealers inquiry.

MRO,

u did it?

There's no law against fitting Xenons, but there are laws about beam pattern/height etc. No issues with the Pajero Sport's low beams as they're projectors, so the original pattern is fully maintained (in fact I adjusted mine up a bit). As for warranty, just make sure that the fitter doesn't cut any wires or drill any holes when installing (the better one's won't). I could revert to the standard halogens in a couple of minutes if needed, and could remove the lot in 10 minutes without a trace. In fact I keep the original halogens in the trunk JIC I get a bulb or ballast failure.

For reference, here's a pic if my 4300k Xenon low beams with 13SMD W5W replacements:

t1013smdvsxenon.jpg

Beam pattern is perfect - no chance of blinding oncoming traffic, and no flashes etc for the 7 months they've been in. Note that they look less blue IRL - that's just because of the photo angle.

Edited by MoonRiverOasis

The only LED's I have are the parking lights (the W5W's in the bottom of the high beam assembly), and yes they were part of the dealers inquiry.

MRO,

u did it?

There's no law against fitting Xenons, but there are laws about beam pattern/height etc. No issues with the Pajero Sport's low beams as they're projectors, so the original pattern is fully maintained (in fact I adjusted mine up a bit). As for warranty, just make sure that the fitter doesn't cut any wires or drill any holes when installing (the better one's won't). I could revert to the standard halogens in a couple of minutes if needed, and could remove the lot in 10 minutes without a trace. In fact I keep the original halogens in the trunk JIC I get a bulb or ballast failure.

For reference, here's a pic if my 4300k Xenon low beams with 13SMD W5W replacements:

t1013smdvsxenon.jpg

Beam pattern is perfect - no chance of blinding oncoming traffic, and no flashes etc for the 7 months they've been in. Note that they look less blue IRL - that's just because of the photo angle.

MRO,

some questions i have in mind,

1. where u get the Xenon fitted?

2. did u do anything to the fog lights?

MRO,

1. These Xenon's were supplied & fitted by BP Autoshop: http://www.bpautoshop.com/ - cost was 3500 fitted for memory. However, I've also used SV Autoshop before and can recommend them as well: http://www.svautoshop.com/ (website down ATM, try here: http://classified.sanook.com/item/6382061 )

2. Haven't done anything with the foglights yet.. These are reflectors so putting xenon's in will destroy the beam pattern and blind oncoming traffic. I'm tossing up whether to fit 5000k halogens for a color match (~600 baht), or whether to custom fit projectors with xenon's (~9k baht) - not a big priority for me ATM though ;)

The T10 13SMD LED stack (and the 30SMD reversing lights) were from some little shop - can't remember their details

MRO,

1. These Xenon's were supplied & fitted by BP Autoshop: http://www.bpautoshop.com/ - cost was 3500 fitted for memory. However, I've also used SV Autoshop before and can recommend them as well: http://www.svautoshop.com/ (website down ATM, try here: http://classified.sanook.com/item/6382061 )

2. Haven't done anything with the foglights yet.. These are reflectors so putting xenon's in will destroy the beam pattern and blind oncoming traffic. I'm tossing up whether to fit 5000k halogens for a color match (~600 baht), or whether to custom fit projectors with xenon's (~9k baht) - not a big priority for me ATM though ;)

The T10 13SMD LED stack (and the 30SMD reversing lights) were from some little shop - can't remember their details

any pics of the reversing light ? my reversing camera doesn't show much when it is real dark. was thinking to get better reversing lights.

come on mates, I need some REAL advices.

Sorry, I was out of line, however if you were from Western Sydney, these would of been ur first two mods :lol:

any pics of the reversing light ? my reversing camera doesn't show much when it is real dark. was thinking to get better reversing lights.

reverselights.jpg

OEM vs LED

Changing your rim size will blow your warranty. As for you lights some states in the US outlaw your blue headlights. They may look cool but they are not worth a F for oncoming traffic.

Just a clarification - changing your rims will nullify your diff and transfer case warranty, not the whole car :)

No US state outlaws 4300k Xenon's - that's the standard fitment on every OEM HID projector, e.g. Audi, BMW, Benz, Porsche etc etc. As for being a problem to oncoming traffic, that depends on the headlight assembly type - projectors maintain a perfect beam pattern no matter how many lumens they're putting out, so are never a problem (assuming correctly adjusted). Reflectors are downright dangerous when the light output is increased though.

A serious question. If you put upgrade bulb's in will it bugger the light it's self, I ask this as higher grade bulb's more heat, has any one had experience of this.

Depends what type of bulb you're talking about. If you mean going to a higher wattage halogen, then yes, there will definitely be more heat - but whether or not that represents a risk depends on the housing design and sheer wattage, so it's not possible to provide a blanket answer.

If you're talking about upgrading to Xenon, then you're actually reducing heat. Most normal halogen lamps are 55w, whereas a standard Xenon kit with substantially more light output is 35w. Big Xenon kits (incredibly bright) are 50w, so around 300% brighter than halogen but 10% cooler running.

A serious question. If you put upgrade bulb's in will it bugger the light it's self, I ask this as higher grade bulb's more heat, has any one had experience of this.

Depends what type of bulb you're talking about. If you mean going to a higher wattage halogen, then yes, there will definitely be more heat - but whether or not that represents a risk depends on the housing design and sheer wattage, so it's not possible to provide a blanket answer.

If you're talking about upgrading to Xenon, then you're actually reducing heat. Most normal halogen lamps are 55w, whereas a standard Xenon kit with substantially more light output is 35w. Big Xenon kits (incredibly bright) are 50w, so around 300% brighter than halogen but 10% cooler running.

Thank's for that, the light's on my toyota are good but you can never have enough. I notice that you have 4300 Xenon's is that the 55w set up or the 35w. It's just that when I go into a shop here I like to have all the info to hand. As they will try to sell you anything. And any idea of price.

Thank's for that, the light's on my toyota are good but you can never have enough. I notice that you have 4300 Xenon's is that the 55w set up or the 35w. It's just that when I go into a shop here I like to have all the info to hand. As they will try to sell you anything. And any idea of price.

My (well, my wife's) Xenon's are 35w. In hindsight 50w and trimming the beam down a bit may have been better - due to how high the headlights are from the road I still need the fogs on to fill in the first couple of meters of road in front of the car. It's not a biggie though - if it were I would have already changed it ;) Most people going for the 50w kits do so because they're running higher kelvin bulbs (i.e. the blue, purple and pink lights you see around) which have less visible light, so need the extra power.

As for price, cheap kits start from ~1,500 baht, but these cheap ballasts won't last and/or will destroy the bulbs. A good but no-name 35w kit will cost ~3,500 Baht, same in 50w ~5,500 Baht, and name brand 35w around 15,000 baht.

Cheap will last 6-12 months, Good no-name will last ~2-3 years. Brand name will last ~5-10 years.

Edited by MoonRiverOasis

My (well, my wife's) Xenon's are 35w. In hindsight 50w and trimming the beam down a bit may have been better - due to how high the headlights are from the road I still need the fogs on to fill in the first couple of meters of road in front of the car. It's not a biggie though - if it were I would have already changed it ;) Most people going for the 50w kits do so because they're running higher kelvin bulbs (i.e. the blue, purple and pink lights you see around) which have less visible light, so need the extra power.

As for price, cheap kits start from ~1,500 baht, but these cheap ballasts won't last and/or will destroy the bulbs. A good but no-name 35w kit will cost ~3,500 Baht, same in 50w ~5,500 Baht, and name brand 35w around 15,000 baht.

Cheap will last 6-12 months, Good no-name will last ~2-3 years. Brand name will last ~5-10 years.

Thank's a bunch. Going out later to give it a go and see what I can come up with. Will make another post later for an up date. Once again many thanks'

Thank's a bunch. Going out later to give it a go and see what I can come up with. Will make another post later for an up date. Once again many thanks'

Right just been up to my local you name it they do it car shop/factory. L.G 35w kit for Fortuner 5600bt Philip's just over 6000bt. L.G can get in Thur's/Friday Philip's two week's. The boss there had the L.G set up on his Fortuner seemed ok. So look's like an L.G. Another update on Friday or Saturday once fitted.

Right just been up to my local you name it they do it car shop/factory. L.G 35w kit for Fortuner 5600bt Philip's just over 6000bt. L.G can get in Thur's/Friday Philip's two week's. The boss there had the L.G set up on his Fortuner seemed ok. So look's like an L.G. Another update on Friday or Saturday once fitted.

They're very good prices, if genuine. Beware that the market is flooded with Chinese/Taiwanese copies - keep an eye out poor quality packaging, logos not quite right, any form of misspelling, manuals not in all the normal 10+ languages, no manuals at ell etc.

They're very good prices, if genuine. Beware that the market is flooded with Chinese/Taiwanese copies - keep an eye out poor quality packaging, logos not quite right, any form of misspelling, manuals not in all the normal 10+ languages, no manuals at ell etc.

looked at some 2k baht chinese in a shop. out of 10 kits only 7 of them worked, new in the shop :rolleyes:

looked at some 2k baht chinese in a shop. out of 10 kits only 7 of them worked, new in the shop :rolleyes:

They had several in shop but not for my car. They all came in turned silver metal box's more like a brief case, everything inside look the part top packaging that must have cost 2000bt by it's self. Price quoted include's fitting + the full instruction's in several language's + full guaratee, Yes I know but where I live it mean's something. What you have to remember is I dont live in a tourist resort so pay the Thai price not an inflated farang one. Price was for full kit 4 light's + blue side light's, (dont know if I'll fit those) 5600bt. just two light's 3600bt a go. That's why I asked the price as I knew that it would be cheaper here. I would take a snap but tried before and dont seem to be able to load it on TV. If anyone want's to see the set up including box I'll can send but have to have email address. Unless someone can tell me how to post on TV. New to the game and a bit of a doze. Anyway will take snap's just in case. Thank's for all the help FOB.

They had several in shop but not for my car. They all came in turned silver metal box's more like a brief case, everything inside look the part top packaging that must have cost 2000bt by it's self. Price quoted include's fitting + the full instruction's in several language's + full guaratee, Yes I know but where I live it mean's something. What you have to remember is I dont live in a tourist resort so pay the Thai price not an inflated farang one. Price was for full kit 4 light's + blue side light's, (dont know if I'll fit those) 5600bt. just two light's 3600bt a go. That's why I asked the price as I knew that it would be cheaper here. I would take a snap but tried before and dont seem to be able to load it on TV. If anyone want's to see the set up including box I'll can send but have to have email address. Unless someone can tell me how to post on TV. New to the game and a bit of a doze. Anyway will take snap's just in case. Thank's for all the help FOB.

where is the shop actiually?