Pattaya Jetskis

sharecropper

• Replies 634
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

went out today about 17 00 hrs pattaya time to have a quick look at the beach.

between the best friend bar complex and pattaya city walk which is 50/60 mtrs at most another 3 scams were going on. 2 were so close to each other the guys getting scammed were swopping tales

2 of the groups were indian nationals and the other middle eastern.

all involved multiple ski units so the outcome was not going to be cheap.

i did spot a sikh guy an old boy with a turban trying to mediate. i am sure i have seen him before a few times on the beach and my best guess is he is involved in the scam and is not an independent mediator at all.

simply because any outsider poking his nose in all the time would be warned off good and proper.

Yes I have seen this guy involved many times.

Today opposite RGP about 4.30, didn't see the start but police already in attendance, the TP guy with the mustache again!

Multiple Indians, one of the jetski scamers was busy telling some of the bystanders that the Indians had been boxing Mama jetski.

Seen her in action before too, getting right up in peoples faces very animated, so the scamers can do what they want as far as violence intimidation, knives etc, but if you lay a hand on Mama jetski your in big trouble.

The Indians where now meekly sitting in deck chairs with a new (to me) character, Big farang guy possible German or Russian black short sleeve shirt Thai flag and writing on the pocket, (TPV?). He was in an aggressive manner demanding their passports, they say no have. " How you can walk around with no passport THIS IS THAILAND you HAVE to carry passport" too each in turn pointing finger "you no passport, you no passport, you no passport, now you have big problem already you break law have to carry passport,how you think you can just walk around no passport THIS IS THAILAND"

Fark me I came so close to getting involved, excuse me but who the fark are you and where is your ID and farking passport. I had to leave otherwise I was gona say it.

Anyway I wish I had now.

I am gona start taking my camera though get some pictures of these creeps.

Yesterday afternoon 5pm the area from walking street to RGP was awash with scams, really not sure how many but everywhere I looked there where Thais inspecting skis and groups of Thais and farang in discussions.

Interestingly at one location the Navy police where in attendance with clipboards and cameras writing lots of stuff down, then the Tourist police turned up, yes the usual guy with the mustache and his friend only stayed a couple of minutes then left the Navy guys to it.

Also saw the farang guy from the other day, the one who was demanding passports from the Indians accused of boxing Mama jetski.

anyone know who he is TPV or what?

post-60867-0-92689500-1296369206_thumb.j

Edited by Rimmer
Photo removed

If I were in charge, I would do surveillance on each group of jet ski thugs, then come down hard, arrest them, confiscate the equipment.

Anybody messing with tourists would be dealt with swiftly and severely.

We have covered the scams again, and the new tactics used by the scammers to maximise payments, reduce police involvement and to discourage renters from going to the police station, in our next edition, due out on 1 February, after witnessing a number of them recently.

For their effort in actually covering an issue that is relevant and that affects foreigners, I shall support Pattaya One and buy a few copies! :jap:

PS Marriot Hotel's back exit to the beach actually has a warning about jet skis. So, good on them too!

Edited by doggie888888

went out today about 17 00 hrs pattaya time to have a quick look at the beach.

between the best friend bar complex and pattaya city walk which is 50/60 mtrs at most another 3 scams were going on. 2 were so close to each other the guys getting scammed were swopping tales

2 of the groups were indian nationals and the other middle eastern.

all involved multiple ski units so the outcome was not going to be cheap.

i did spot a sikh guy an old boy with a turban trying to mediate. i am sure i have seen him before a few times on the beach and my best guess is he is involved in the scam and is not an independent mediator at all.

simply because any outsider poking his nose in all the time would be warned off good and proper.

Yes I have seen this guy involved many times.

Today opposite RGP about 4.30, didn't see the start but police already in attendance, the TP guy with the mustache again!

Multiple Indians, one of the jetski scamers was busy telling some of the bystanders that the Indians had been boxing Mama jetski.

Seen her in action before too, getting right up in peoples faces very animated, so the scamers can do what they want as far as violence intimidation, knives etc, but if you lay a hand on Mama jetski your in big trouble.

The Indians where now meekly sitting in deck chairs with a new (to me) character, Big farang guy possible German or Russian black short sleeve shirt Thai flag and writing on the pocket, (TPV?). He was in an aggressive manner demanding their passports, they say no have. " How you can walk around with no passport THIS IS THAILAND you HAVE to carry passport" too each in turn pointing finger "you no passport, you no passport, you no passport, now you have big problem already you break law have to carry passport,how you think you can just walk around no passport THIS IS THAILAND"

Fark me I came so close to getting involved, excuse me but who the fark are you and where is your ID and farking passport. I had to leave otherwise I was gona say it.

Anyway I wish I had now.

I am gona start taking my camera though get some pictures of these creeps.

Yesterday afternoon 5pm the area from walking street to RGP was awash with scams, really not sure how many but everywhere I looked there where Thais inspecting skis and groups of Thais and farang in discussions.

Interestingly at one location the Navy police where in attendance with clipboards and cameras writing lots of stuff down, then the Tourist police turned up, yes the usual guy with the mustache and his friend only stayed a couple of minutes then left the Navy guys to it.

Also saw the farang guy from the other day, the one who was demanding passports from the Indians accused of boxing Mama jetski.

anyone know who he is TPV or what?

That is interesting Kev now it look as if there maybe 3 foreign guys and possibly more, they look like russians involved including the sikh man with turban all working with thai mafia how many years have these people had this scam going on it is frightening to the amount of holiday makers left with no money and how much money has been obtained by corrupt practices that involves many levels of personal.

What right does a farang with no id possibly russian have demanding for passports of tourists in thailand ?

Edited by saintofsilence

tourists go to the beach in many numbers, I would suggest that they set up several points along the beach and man them full time, take pictures of all the jet skis and log them to assist in the resolution of conflicts with beach operators, the TP need to get a finger out and start doing what they are supposed too i.e. looking after tourists, they seem quite able to have a presence on walking street every night this should be happening on the beach too, to anyone here that works for the TP step up now and do something instead of hiding, lets get a few replies here from them or you will loose any little respect you ever had here. I would say anyone that had any respect for thai people are also getting their eyes open with this shit, what does buddah say about blatent fraud and robbery, all thais are loosing over this and it needs to stop

If I were in charge, I would do surveillance on each group of jet ski thugs, then come down hard, arrest them, confiscate the equipment.

Anybody messing with tourists would be dealt with swiftly and severely.

Yes, yes, yes. YOU would deal with it.

But the rest of this thread recognises that the person IN CHARGE is probably the person running the scam

SEPT 2009 Phuket Gazette

PHUKET CITY: Phuket police are under strict orders to crackdown on jet-ski operators who scam tourists and to actively assist those who become victims of the scammers at Phuket's popular beaches.

The orders came from Phuket Provincial Police Commander Pigad Thantipong after he made a frank admission during a press conference that some police officers were knowingly allowing jet-ski operators to get away with massively overcharging tourists for repairs to the vehicles.

This was going to have to stop, he said.

Maj Gen Pigad said he had received a constant stream of complaints about the infamous Phuket jet-ski scam.

“When tourists damage the jet-skis, some operators are asking them for 50-60,000 baht for the repairs,” he said.

“The real cost is often just a couple of thousand baht, but the operators threaten the tourists if they don’t pay up.”

Maj Gen Pigad said Deputy Prime Minister Suthep Thaugsuban had told both himself and Phuket Governor Wichai Phraisa-ngop that they had to end the practice.

There were around 200 jet-skis on the island, with 167 of them licensed, he said.

Maj Gen Pigad said he had set three new policies to end the problem.

First, police would prosecute any jet-ski operators who threatened tourists.

Second, police officers would not ignore or collude in the scam.

continued http://www.phuketgazette.net/archives/articles/2009/article7735.html

Edited by saintofsilence

PS Marriot Hotel's back exit to the beach actually has a warning about jet skis. So, good on them too!

Got a pic of that by chance?

Finger pointing at individuals either by photo or description will cease immediately

I agree.

SEPT 2009 Phuket Gazette

PHUKET CITY: Phuket police are under strict orders to crackdown on jet-ski operators who scam tourists and to actively assist those who become victims of the scammers at Phuket's popular beaches.

The orders came from Phuket Provincial Police Commander Pigad Thantipong after he made a frank admission during a press conference that some police officers were knowingly allowing jet-ski operators to get away with massively overcharging tourists for repairs to the vehicles.

This was going to have to stop, he said.

Maj Gen Pigad said he had received a constant stream of complaints about the infamous Phuket jet-ski scam.

“When tourists damage the jet-skis, some operators are asking them for 50-60,000 baht for the repairs,” he said.

“The real cost is often just a couple of thousand baht, but the operators threaten the tourists if they don’t pay up.”

Maj Gen Pigad said Deputy Prime Minister Suthep Thaugsuban had told both himself and Phuket Governor Wichai Phraisa-ngop that they had to end the practice.

There were around 200 jet-skis on the island, with 167 of them licensed, he said.

Maj Gen Pigad said he had set three new policies to end the problem.

First, police would prosecute any jet-ski operators who threatened tourists.

Second, police officers would not ignore or collude in the scam.

continued http://www.phuketgazette.net/archives/articles/2009/article7735.html

Wow, not bad for a 2009 story. Shame NOTHING has been done about it since. :lol:

Maybe by 2016 they will start to take it a little more serious after a good handful of people are murdered.

Side note: I find it APPALLING that the Phuket situation, where JJ pulled a gun, did not land him in jail for... wait for it... POSSESSION OF A FIREARM. Silly talk I know, but that is an obvious crime that should have been used to arrest and prosecute him.

Edited by Rimmer
Sarcastic comment deleted

take pictures of all the jet skis and log them to assist in the resolution of conflicts with beach operators,

not a lot of help in the strange world that is thailand.

you could take a pic for the " official records" and 2 mins later the operator could add his own scratches.

i have seen several of the operators taking pics of the ski's before hire but i suspect either they are using a low resolution pixel camera that doesn't show up small scratches or have pics of the craft in better condition on another memory chip which they switch round while the ski is on hire.

Good. Keep the pressure on the scammers. Most operations like this just don't like the light of day and exposure. That is unlikely to help their business.

All the complaints will take a toll on somebody's patience. Be it the chief of police, the desk seargent, the mayor, the province head, etc. I love how the article was saying the scammers are trying to settle quickly and for small amounts. Trying to keep under the radar.

If it happens to you, delay, delay, and delay. Take a seat and be cool. The longer you delay them, the longer they don't rent out the ski and the more risk they take that they can't find another victim that day. And then, maybe walk to the ATM, put your card in, and then keep entering the incorrect PIN. hehe. I doubt that will make the scammers happy, but hey, you are nervous, under pressure. Not your fault you are making a mistake and I doubt they would realize what is happening. Granted your ATM might get swallowed up. Make sure you call your bank quickly and get it canceled. Not too hard to arrange for a friend in your home to western union some money if you need it. Or you may have some cash back at the hotel, etc. The key thing is to delay, delay, delay. Tie up that jet ski for hours. Let a crowd assemble. Let more witnesses show up.

What right does a farang with no id have demanding for passports of tourists in thailand ?

The only thing he would get from me is my middle finger. And if he pushed it, he would get a face full of pepper spray.

Saw it happening today at 5PM on Pattaya Beach near Soi 13.

The punks were scouting the crowd for photographers. I aimed my camera, was immediately spotted by them, then hurried along before I could crack off a good shot..

It's going on all day long.

Yesterday I was out earlier than usual 1PM. Saw 2 scams both involving the large farang (picture deleted)

He was herding a group of Indians and mama jetski onto a baht bus, the TP with the tash was there too, but it was the farang that was doing the talking.I heard him say "I have same with your brothers yesterday (I assume he means other Indians) now today they go jail" shrugs shoulders and laughs.

Half an hour latter he was further down the beach involved with what looked like a group of Iranians?

Today 5.30PM near Mikes, jetski on the edge of the water back seat off waves breaking over it completely waterlogged not floating.

Group of Russians, Police (TP not the usual ones) and a guy with a black jacket with Press on the back (be interesting to see if story printed somewhere). Discussions went on for ages some Russian girls in tears, loads of onlookers. Eventually the cash was paid don't know how much.

As they where leaving an Indian approached them saying they scammed him last week, the jetski guy referred to as half pint in the youtube video was there too " yeah I remember you, you crazy, fuc_k you, fuc_k off, fuc_k off" then as the guy was walking away shouting "fuc_k off and fuc_k you too."

The police did nothing.

An hour later I walked past and the ski was miraculously now floating again!

No less than 10 scams today along the beach , marine police sitting under a tent not knowing further along that scams are going on because the scammers only involve thier favourite police including the big russian guy the marine police should be patrolling.

Very disappointing if they are indeed there to help out with these scams. They must know that the worst stretch is from around Mikes (Soi 12) to Walking Street, so why sit down near Soi 9? Handy for coffee and doughnuts from their mates across the road I guess!

Just a thought:

If large words were used in a warning flyer, then most Thais could not understand them:

malfeasance, misrepresentation, nepotism, payola, profiteering, shadiness, squeeze, unscrupulousness, venality

artifice, bamboozlement, barratry, chicane, chicanery, dupery, duping, duplicity, shuffle, flimflam, fraudulence, graft, guile, hanky-panky, hoax, hocus-pocus, hoodwinking, , misrepresentation, shakedown, sham, sharp practice, skunk, song and dance, spuriousness, sting, treachery

There are 1 or 2 in there that have me reaching desperately for the dictionary. :blink:

The punks were scouting the crowd for photographers. I aimed my camera, was immediately spotted by them, then hurried along before I could crack off a good shot..

What are they going to do, attack everyone with a camera in that area? It's the beach, in a tourists town. People are going to have cameras, taking photos / videos of EVERYTHING.

What are they going to do, attack everyone with a camera in that area? It's the beach, in a tourists town. People are going to have cameras, taking photos / videos of EVERYTHING.

just about every second person that goes to the beach has a camera they would be crazy to try and control people taking photo's what do have to hide.

I see a few comments and vids being posted on Itthiphol Kunplome's (the Mayor of Pattaya) Facebook page, he (well i dont know if it is actually himself) is responding too, maybe many of you that have posted pics and vids on here should put them on there for him to see and hopefully take the necessary much needed action ??

I see a few comments and vids being posted on Itthiphol Kunplome's (the Mayor of Pattaya) Facebook page, he (well i dont know if it is actually himself) is responding too, maybe many of you that have posted pics and vids on here should put them on there for him to see and hopefully take the necessary much needed action ??

Just had a look at the Mayor's Face Book Page he is being asked a few questions about the scam on there ,

All of these people are disputing the claims that they damaged the boats , how can any decent person in public office let this go on one more day.

And what is the story with foreigners being at a lot of these disputes they look like russians .

This type of publicty is disgraceful seeing what looks like a group of gangsters in action

At the moment from what i see going on and a lot a press is the police are knowingly watching good HONEST people jump on jet ski boats and be fed to the sharks.

Edited by Rimmer
ref to public figure

A face book page won't stop these scammers there are two words that will fix it

Law Enforcment

Be interesting to see what responses he gives to any questions on a public forum/page though.

Edited by LennyW

A face book page won't stop these scammers there are two words that will fix it

Law Enforcment

Be interesting to see what responses he gives to any questions on a public forum/page though.

There are quite a few complaints being submitted if he follows up on them all it may be the best move towards controlling the scam

Edited by mtc