Pattaya Jetskis

sharecropper

I have seen estimates of them defrauding tourists of 300,000 baht a day.

That's 9 million a month.

Would the Pattaya police let these beach punks keep all that money?

The police are getting paid very well.Does anyone believe that the majors efforts were genuine ?

well his efforts while on paper seem to have been on track - putting words into practise is another thing

• Replies 634
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not sure how true this is but there is a person on the Mayor's facebook claiming to have made a documentary on the scam using 8 tourists working undercover with hidden cameras , that could be very interesting if released.

Oh please let that be true.

Would be even better if the actual Mayor sent in some of his own to do that. Wishful thinking, I know.

Not sure how true this is but there is a person on the Mayor's facebook claiming to have made a documentary on the scam using 8 tourists working undercover with hidden cameras , that could be very interesting if released.

Would be even better if the actual Mayor sent in some of his own to do that. Wishful thinking, I know.

Lol, dont you remember what happened the last time someone made a documentary about a jet-ski scam (Phuket)?

The film crew that were left inside the Kingdom were thrown into jail, and all manner of threats as to future film making were made. Just for showing Thailand in a bad light.

Thats all they care about......face

Notice the first words the mayor said to the scammers when he "suprised" them that time?

"Why are you causing me problems?"

Speaks volumes, does that :rolleyes:

Penkoprod

Let's celebrate the 1 year anniversary of City Hall's meeting, to figure out a solution to the jet ski problem.

PattayaOne News, APRIL 2010,

"....Khun Ronagit, Deputy Mayor of Pattaya chaired a meeting to discuss the continuing problems with Jet Ski Scams involving operators on Pattaya and Jomtien Beaches. The meeting was told that Tourists are complaining on a daily basis to city officials about the Jet Ski Operators who are asking for large amounts of money for so-called damage to the Jet Ski’s."

The Pattaya Mayor needs to have the issue addressed once and for all and assure tourists that Pattaya beach is safe and the criminals that have been extorting money and scamming have been prosecuted and taken off the beach.

America , Canada , Ireland , Australia and Uk now have travel warnings on there government sites but it is not enough other countries especially india ,iran , russian and and a few others are still being stung by these scammers .

Jet Ski operators will continue to damage the tourism sector until the problem is solved .

The T.A.T are not doing enough about this and all tourism sectors seem to turn a blind eye , it is a complete insult to visitors that Thailand is promoting itself as a safe destination and knowingly allowing tourists to rent jet ski's on the beaches when the they are well aware that there is a very good chance the tourist will have money extorted from them.

The problem is not going to go away on it's own.

Edited by saintofsilence

Lol, dont you remember what happened the last time someone made a documentary about a jet-ski scam (Phuket)?

The film crew that were left inside the Kingdom were thrown into jail, and all manner of threats as to future film making were made. Just for showing Thailand in a bad light.

Thats all they care about......face

Notice the first words the mayor said to the scammers when he "suprised" them that time?

"Why are you causing me problems?"

Speaks volumes, does that :rolleyes:

Penkoprod

I believe the TAT prosecuted the film makers for damaging Thailand's reputation. dam_n foreigners...

• The jet ski scam will be stopped right after the prostitution problem is fixed, can you all understand when that will occur.:rolleyes: Possibly the week after Thaksin becomes Pope.

After all, it's part of Thai culture. Isn't that what the tourists flock here to experience, Thai culture?

The Pattaya Mayor needs to have the issue addressed once and for all and assure tourists that Pattaya beach is safe and the criminals that have been extorting money and scamming have been prosecuted and taken off the beach.

America , Canada , Ireland , Australia and Uk now have travel warnings on there government sites but it is not enough other countries especially india ,iran , russian and and a few others are still being stung by these scammers .

Jet Ski operators will continue to damage the tourism sector until the problem is solved .

The T.A.T are not doing enough about this and all tourism sectors seem to turn a blind eye , it is a complete insult to visitors that Thailand is promoting itself as a safe destination and knowingly allowing tourists to rent jet ski's on the beaches when the they are well aware that there is a very good chance the tourist will have money extorted from them.

The problem is not going to go away on it's own.

Looks to me like his appearance on the beach was just one more photo opportunity as there is no evidence of anything changing.

Sorry Tokay, just noticed your post, didn't mean to copy.

Edited by gmac

• The jet ski scam will be stopped right after the prostitution problem is fixed, can you all understand when that will occur.:rolleyes: Possibly the week after Thaksin becomes Pope.

After all, it's part of Thai culture. Isn't that what the tourists flock here to experience, Thai culture?

True.I guess we forget that pattaya is run by the Mafia and we are living in a thirld world country.Such things will happen.

But still.They are scum

Edited by reyesnm

Victims report from another local forum

anyone who thinks, everyone knows about this scam, guess again. This is as recent as March 2011.

I have been to Patts 6 times and never been scammed, however, I was with 2 Indian friends one from Canada and another from India.

I was sitting at Starbucks and they came excited that a Jetski operator had said they can rent JetSki's for 200 baht each for 30 mins. Against better judgement they dragged me there.

The first thing they do is get you suited up and have your shoes/cellphones off. Then they casually take photos (you would assume they'd try to sell you those mug shots on cups or plates), however their purpose is sinister. As soon as you sit on the JetSki, they bring out this mostly Thai form, which you believe may be insurance. You sign, putting in your hotel #, name and sign. Beware, there is a clause in tiny print that says you owe them 4000 bahts ($130) for every day the JetSki is inoperational.

You go on our joyride, until you get back and the drama begins. They flip over the Jetski, point to tiny pieces of chipped paint (which were always there, but too subtle to be seen on their original photos) and rock the JetSki's violently, trying to maximize visible damage.

Then they make an estimate and asked these poor Indian boys for 100,000 baht, <deleted>? I am white, so they do not bother me, but focus on these Indians. I later find out Indians, Russians and anyone with a weak government who is not likely to give Thai authorities much trouble are targeted.

They take you to a negotiator, by this time 10 guys follow you everywhere, intimidating you, telling you they know Thai boxing, one claims the other will kill you if you do not cooperate, blah blah. Negotiator tries to convince you to pay 30,000 baht, the police are involved. Later we find out the negotiator (a tailoring shop owner) gets up to 30-40%.

We decide to fight it out despite the growing threats and one of the Indians getting slapped. I make a few calls, hire a lawyer and head with them to the police station. We spend 6 hours, the lawyer sends his legal aides, and the negotiation games begin, as the police are in on it, and the waiver you signed or the photos are good enough. The tourist police look helpless when you ask them for help at the main police station in Patts. They tell us that this happens thrice a day. The Russians before you had to pay 50,000 baht. The best thing is not to rent JetSki's.

A lot of drama, negotiation, Police intimidation (despite Thai lawyers who are working for you), and we end up negotiating a price of 40,000 baht, plus lawyer fees of 3,000 baht. There were 3 JetSki's that they claim was damaged, up from the 2 earlier. We get a waiver that no criminal proceedings or demands for money can be made, and after 6 <deleted> hours at the police station, the matter ends.

Bottom-line, if the deal is too good to be true, stay away. Also, if you are brown and come from a country that couldn't give a shit about your predicament, be careful about messing with the Thai Mafia.

P.S: For the record we did take photos before (posing on JetSki's) and after (to have our own record of the damage), but all this is disregarded by the Police Superintendent. The bitch who was the main spokesperson and owner had 3 diamond rings and a necklace, and she puts on an act of being frustrated, while a bad ass Thai with scars intimidates the weakest one - even in a freaking police station!

In the last edition of Pattaya Today issue 13 there is a jet skin story on page 7 where a jet ski business has opened on Jomtien Beach there banner states

'We speak english No Scams Here" and they actually explain that it is a civil matter and police do not arrest people for civil matters.

ok i'm back to keep an eye on the lowlife that spoil the beach.

today i had a long conversation over a couple of changs * with a pair of luckless uk newbies who were relieved of 20,000 bht.

1 of the russian/east europeans was involved in the negotiations claiming to be a united nations police official here to stamp down on corruption . F me that's a new one!!!!

they did of course have an accident but the pics on the ski's 1 of them thought had been doctored to wipe out earlier damage.

they had been shouted at threatened etc etc and the demand had started at 50,000 bht.

and so it continues.

this incident took place about opposite the best friend bars complex.

at the same time 2 other returning ski's nearby touched right in front of the jet ski guys as they brought them back, i saw it happen. this time the grey plastic bumper thing on the front of 1 them suffered a minor knock. i don't know how much a new 1 costs but it cannot be a lot but a heated conversation was going on so lord knows how much was being demanded.

by the way 20,000 at todays rates is £415.00

*i bought them a couple of 60 bht changs each as they were down on their luck after a poor afternoon. they left a bit happier when i told them it could have been even worse

Edited by striderman

Certainly, the police and attorney know this is a civil case and are assisting the Chonburi Mafia in defrauding tourists.

I have no good words for the jetski mafia since they ripped my very good friends for almost 60.000 Baht but I have to correct you on this one.

The renting is a civil case and police have nothing to do with it , but as soon as damages come in play it will be a criminal case.This is the law in Thailand and therefore you risk to get arrested and for sure are not allowed to leave Thailand until a criminal case has been to court.

ok i'm back to keep an eye on the lowlife that spoil the beach.

today i had a long conversation over a couple of changs * with a pair of luckless uk newbies who were relieved of 20,000 bht.

1 of the russian/east europeans was involved in the negotiations claiming to be a united nations police official here to stamp down on corruption . F me that's a new one!!!!

they did of course have an accident but the pics on the ski's 1 of them thought had been doctored to wipe out earlier damage.

they had been shouted at threatened etc etc and the demand had started at 50,000 bht.

and so it continues.

this incident took place about opposite the best friend bars complex.

at the same time 2 other returning ski's nearby touched right in front of the jet ski guys as they brought them back, i saw it happen. this time the grey plastic bumper thing on the front of 1 them suffered a minor knock. i don't know how much a new 1 costs but it cannot be a lot but a heated conversation was going on so lord knows how much was being demanded.

by the way 20,000 at todays rates is £415.00

*i bought them a couple of 60 bht changs each as they were down on their luck after a poor afternoon. they left a bit happier when i told them it could have been even worse

made a mess of the important bit in this story line 4 should read

they DID NOT of course have an accident.

i took these 2 guys for a beer on my account so i could get the story properly.

they had been on the receiving end for 3 hrs before a deal was done.

they had asked to call the police which of course the jet ski guys did, hence their mate the nasty russian showing up.

they were shown pics of them on the ski's which 1 of them told me he was sure had been altered but they had none of their own

when they left the bar (it was their first time in LOS ) they were a bit calmer and determined to make the most of their holiday

The mob of scammers opposite mike shopping never stop scamming this afternoon two young guys rented jet skies when they came back in the scammers sent them back out for 5 more minutes they the came back and were shown photo's of damage on the ski the tourists were not happy so off to the police they all went.

It looks like they were waiting for the sd card to come back so they could show the doctored photo's thats why the tourists went back out for five minutes.

Now how hard is it to prove these jet ski staff are committing crimes of theft ?

Pattaya Beach is still being run by the mafia after they have shown no respect for The Mayor and deserve being put behind bars for life with no food. :angry:

Edited by saintofsilence

Victims Report Thailandlandofsmiles.com

walker

April 7, 2011 | 7:14 pm

I paid 600bt for 1/2 an hour, knowing about the scam. I didn’t think they’d try it on me (big and fit and experienced in Thailand).

I’ve rented jetskis before from dodgy heavily tattooed Thai beach dudes before and they’ve never dared.

Anyway I didn’t get my change from 1000bt, “get after”, not a good sign, but not a lot of money.

Then came the digital camera with extensive photos of me on the jetski. Yes we all agreed there were extensive scratches etc.

Went out for a spin, came back. The stage had been set. The jetski dudes wouldn’t look me in the eye when I handed the lifejacket back. Another bad sign.

Then the commotion play started. The now sizeable pack of Thai guys started pointing and yelling.

There was a piece of rub rail missing about 15cm long from the middle of the side.

The other Ski Doos were missing the same piece.

I don’t know if they blu tac the section on, or pop it between the screws, but it had fallen off by its own accord.

The Thais were highly aggressive straight away. One was playing with a knife, one with a piece of wood.

My heart sank, I knew what they were playing at.

I denied any accident, then up came the old lady who gave false witness to say she had seen me in a big collision.

I said to get the Police, and of course they agreed. So I knew someone was going to turn up either their uncle who was a cop, or someone dressed as one.

The situation was escalating, and the chance of violence was very high.

I knew my only option was to grab my pregnant wife and to escape the thugs. We crossed over to the “Ripley’s” Mall with security, and they dared not follow us in.

When I stay in Thailand I spend a lot of money. I stayed on this occasion in the Sheraton’s best rooms. My Holiday would have cost over $10,000.00 AUD

The fact that the Thai people allow these small time mafia thugs to operate is an absolute disgrace.

Nobody should be put in this position, especially within the knowledge of the police and other authorities.

I will never return to Thailand and I urge others not to as well.

Read more: http://thailandlandofsmiles.com/2011/03/02/pattaya-jet-ski-scam/#ixzz1IrFoL0RN

Under Creative Commons License: Attribution

Edited by saintofsilence

even though you knew about the history of the jet skis why oh why did you still go on one with a pregnanat wife with you on the beach. if everybody stops using this scum they go out of business

so are you saying there's actually a bit of rubber they stick on before photo's are taken then they do a sneaky removal as you are being helped onboard, wouldn't you love to expose that one, we should all club together and set them up.

Report on Facebook page Pattayafuture

on the beach , last night late the scammers were chasing two indian guys up the beach after one a very large guy fell off and had to be rescued. All the scammers were worried about were extorting more money of the poor guy. These scammers were some of the same group from the famous video. They are not interested in running a jet ski business the correct way just a pack of vultures .

Edited by Rimmer
Unnecessary name calling

Was just over at the mayors facebook page. LOL Comedy.

what did you expect, either way this criminal activity will continue, probably pointless even discussing it here any more

Edited by Rimmer
Libelous content removed

Was just over at the mayors facebook page. LOL Comedy.

The Mayor is taking quite a beating over there. Well deserved too.

Why is it a bunch of ex pats have to to the police work around there?

City Hall held a meeting over a year ago about this.

In the mean time, reports are circulating around the world of tourists being attacked, threatened with knives and robbed in broad daylight.

It's even on video with the police allegedly assisting the criminals.

Estimates are, 10 incidents a day, netting 300,000 baht, extorted from visitors.

That's 109,500,000 baht / year.