Interpol issues 'red notice' for arrest of WikiLeaks' Julian Assange

News_Editor

The ARREST WARRANT is for questioning. It is relevant in that the US won't even go so far as to do the same. His legal team are in the process of arranging a time and place to meet with police in the UK so that he can answer the questions Sweeden want to ask. Not that he has to answer anything they ask though.

So....why doesn't the US issue a similar warrant to have him arrested for questioning?

As you said, he should be charged with espionage, why then hasn't he been. Or maybe, just maybe, you are jumping the gun a bit. If the US government don't think she shoudl be charged just yet, what do you know that makes you say that he should be. You seem to know more than the US government.

And why haven't the US government acted against all the other media outlets for publishing the leaks.

Why havent the US government acted on any of the information released that showed crimes?

Of course, I agree with you.

I'm merely pointing out the stupidity of posters that want Assange hung drawn and quartered but don't want anything done to others who do the same thing.

Agreed on that. They should also act on the crimes by their military exposed by wikileaks.

To extend your argument logically you would insist on all police forces never doing anything wrong as a requirement for upholding laws.

Another words when a cop stops you for speeding it is a justifiable defense that everyone else is doing it.

A Thai policeman not wearing a motorcycle helmet drives his motorcycle up to you and gives you a ticket for not wearing a helmet. Are you guilty of not wearing a helmet?

That is a silly argument.

• Replies 860
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And his bank account has been frozen because of some issue about his 'address'. Like they would freeze everyone's account that had problems with their address.

Here comes the Church of Scientolo......sorry, US government antics.

The Swiss are strict on those issues. What dictators do is to appoint a nominee. Mr. Assange should understand that the law is the law and applies to everyone.

"Attorney General Eric H. Holder Jr. has stated that he is considering prosecuting Julian Assange, founder of Wikileaks under the [Espionage] Act."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Espionage_Act_of_1917#Pending_Application_of_the_Act

He might even end up being hanged ala Saddam. Maybe someone will leak that video online.

I believe they are talking about creating a new law just to fit this situation.....not surprising eh?

Because if any were truly broken the whole course of action would have been already different.

That does not mean they are not willing to stoop low enough & create something.

Stoop low enough to create something? Like when that grown woman in Dallas pretended to be a boy, chatted with a young 13-14 yr old girl online, driving her to commit suicideandis now on the streets because there was no law against what she did? I think they might be stooping low enough to try and stop that by making it illegal as well. Bastards!

To extend your argument logically you would insist on all police forces never doing anything wrong as a requirement for upholding laws.

Another words when a cop stops you for speeding it is a justifiable defense that everyone else is doing it.

A Thai policeman not wearing a motorcycle helmet drives his motorcycle up to you and gives you a ticket for not wearing a helmet. Are you guilty of not wearing a helmet?

Im not sure why asking for the prosecution of troops killing civilians and the prosecution of generals covering it up is a silly idea but each to their own. I also added should also, I didnt state it was a reason not to prosecute other crimes although personally I find war crimes more abhorent than many others.

And his bank account has been frozen because of some issue about his 'address'. Like they would freeze everyone's account that had problems with their address.

The Swiss are strict on those issues. What dictators do is to appoint a nominee. Mr. Assange should understand that the law is the law and applies to everyone.

So should the US government. Add in the UK and Aussie and any other you care to mention across the globe and so should their troops when committing attrocities and their generals who try to hide them. However, as we know that doesnt happen.... It is about power and who has it, lets be honest.

Im not sure why asking for the prosecution of troops killing civilians and the prosecution of generals covering it up is a silly idea but each to their own. I also added should also, I didnt state it was a reason not to prosecute other crimes although personally I find war crimes more abhorent than many others.

I haven't read anything here or anywhere pointing to troops purposely targeting civilians. THAT is a war crime. Accidents happen in time of war and publicising each one during the war isn't a good idea and shouldn't be done.

Assange - Now perhaps untouchable do to his recent blackmailing. Also, "useful idiots" who believe in what they are doing are sending him millions in donations. I'm interested in seeing what he does with all that money if he is in fact untouchable. He won't need it for his defense. He won't need it for his website. I see him taking the majority of it for his own personal use. Suckers.

I have a horrible feeling that that's not a joke.

I haven't read anything here or anywhere pointing to troops purposely targeting civilians. THAT is a war crime. Accidents happen in time of war and publicising each one during the war isn't a good idea and shouldn't be done.

Assange - Now perhaps untouchable do to his recent blackmailing. Also, "useful idiots" who believe in what they are doing are sending him millions in donations. I'm interested in seeing what he does with all that money if he is in fact untouchable. He won't need it for his defense. He won't need it for his website. I see him taking the majority of it for his own personal use. Suckers.

Go sift through what wikileaks has released there is some pretty clear evidence and some shall we say admissions to how widespread it is. With little to nothing having been done about it. By the way, there is a lot of other stuff on the web apart form wikileaks on that aspect and it isnt even very contentious these days.

Geriatrickid

Since when CIA, has been working through the LAW, what a joke, guess *(Flame edited out/Scott)* have more sense of humour than one is lead to believe.

After all that organization is the pillar and proctor of the establishment, their main mission is to subvert , circumvent, prevent,

they are getting bit of their own medicine, is not bad for a change.

The GM(General Motors) was going must of its work for Hitler through Switzerland, 80% of the Wehrmacht vehicle were made by them as well as the Synthetic fuel plant that kept them going till the end, it was made by standard oil Of California, now Esso, in words of its General manager, GM makes money, not interested in petty international squabbles.

Here is something with an Australian touch

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5VGgjM-SVOU

So the americans are thinking about charging him with something, but in the meantime they're trying to get others to do something on their behalf. That's not the same as 'It is clear that he could be prosecuted for espionage and that the first amendment would not protect him.'

Actually it is, but he is not in the U.S, so International cooperation would make it much easier to arrest him. :lol:

So why not do what Sweden has done, get an arrest warrant for 'questioning'.

That is exactly what is being discussed. Governments move at there own pace. They do not go by the opinion of the Internet peanut gallery. :D

Geriatrickid

Since when CIA, has been working through the LAW, what a joke, guess *(Flame edited out/Scott)* have more sense of humour than one is lead to believe.

After all that organization is the pillar and proctor of the establishment, their main mission is to subvert , circumvent, prevent,

they are getting bit of their own medicine, is not bad for a change.

The GM(General Motors) was going must of its work for Hitler through Switzerland, 80% of the Wehrmacht vehicle were made by them as well as the Synthetic fuel plant that kept them going till the end, it was made by standard oil Of California, now Esso, in words of its General manager, GM makes money, not interested in petty international squabbles.

Here is something with an Australian touch

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5VGgjM-SVOU

Back to WW II again eh? You forgot about Ford. And GM getting war reparations for it's plants being bombed in Germany by US and UK forces during the war. Interesting but nothing do with the thread.

So the americans are thinking about charging him with something, but in the meantime they're trying to get others to do something on their behalf. That's not the same as 'It is clear that he could be prosecuted for espionage and that the first amendment would not protect him.'

Actually it is, but he is not in the U.S, so International cooperation would make it much easier to arrest him. :lol:

That is exactly what is being discussed. Governments move at there own pace. They do not go by the opinion of the Internet peanut gallery. :D

Don't have a very high opinion of your posts then do you.

Governments would also liklely rather none of the "bombs" get released and that they dont take down wikileaks only ot have it replaced by several copycats with elusive people behind them, and of course governments that are not very tech savvy would also rather not have everything they do and their coporate mates exposed to a unified group of hackers and freedomistas. All o fthis would be a lot more damaging and very difficult to deal with. There is still the chance for a (secret) wikileak and governmental deal. Then again that probably doesnt preclude any of the other things. This is not straightforward for governments whose security apparatus are filled with people far less tech savvy than those that could be ranged agaisnt them. This doesnt end with wikileaks and infact it didnt start with them

I have edited a flaming, name calling, post. No more editing them. They will be deleted and posters will receive formal warnings.

This topic is important and interesting. What happens with Wikileaks may have far reaching consequences. Opinions are going to vary on the issue, but a civil discussion without name calling is what is called for.

Please stay on-topic and please treat other posters, including those with whom you disagree with respect.

So to use your argument......4 people commit murder, we'll just charge one person for it.

Prime Minister Julia Gillard again has been unable to name any Australian laws broken by the controversial WikiLeaks website or its founder Julian Assange. Western governments increasingly are calling for Assange to be stopped as WikiLeaks continues to publish more than 250,000 confidential documents from the United States State Department.

But asked directly what Australian laws had been broken by either WikiLeaks or Assange, Ms Gillard said the Australian Federal Police were investigating.

"The foundation stone of it is an illegal act," Ms Gillard said today.

But the "foundation stone" was the leaking of the documents to the website, not the publishing of the cables.

"It would not happen, information would not be on WikiLeaks, if there had not been an illegal act undertaken," Ms Gillard said.

It is widely assumed the man responsible for the leaks is a US soldier who is already imprisoned for previous leaks.

Sorry, but, I have not ventured any opinions on how quickly the U.S should arrest Mr. Assange.

11858-Wanted-Dead-Or-Alive-Frame-With-A-Space-For-A-Picture-Clipart-Illustration.jpg

But you have said she should be charged with espionage and that the first amendment does not proclude that charge.

Seems you know more than the US govt knows as they haven't yet found a way to charge him.

By all means go after the person that leaked the info but not the publisher/s of it, which includes ALL media that have published it.

Typical of many governments, my own included, that play the man and not the ball when they get caught out.

Edited by Wallaby

Sorry, but, I have not ventured any opinions on how quickly the U.S should arrest Mr. Assange.

11858-Wanted-Dead-Or-Alive-Frame-With-A-Space-For-A-Picture-Clipart-Illustration.jpg

But you have said she should be charged with espionage and that the first amendment does not proclude that charge.

Seems you know more than the US govt knows as they haven't yet found a way to charge him.

Actually, there is no way at all that you can know that. Making it up and insisting on it does not make it true.:lol:

So to use your argument......4 people commit murder, we'll just charge one person for it.

1,2,3 or 4. Makes no difference in guilt. The fact that only one murderer was charged does not make him less guilty. Yes or no?

Prime Minister Julia Gillard again has been unable to name any Australian laws broken by the controversial WikiLeaks website or its founder Julian Assange.

No one has suggested that he has broken any Australian laws. What crock of... Red Herring.

Americans should stop medling in what Aussies do in Australia and stop trying to force thier little laws on Australians. If the Australian Prime Minister says he has broken no Australian law then yanks pull your heads in. Australians in Australia are not bound by American laws nor do we swear alligence to the USA or abide by thier stupid little laws. The USA does not own Australia YET. America interfering in this just increases hostilities b/w yanks and aussies.

1,2,3 or 4. Makes no difference in guilt. The fact that only one murderer was charged does not make him less guilty. Yes or no?

Maybe only one murderer was dumb and arrogant enough to go on TV and tell the whole world that he pulled the trigger. ;)

540px-Julian_Assange_26C3.jpg

So now you think he should be charged with murder do you? Better call the US govt again and tell them you've changed your mind from espionage. Don't forget they will need reasons because they don't know what to do yet. The mustn't be very bright, perhaps they should indeed start listening to the TV peanut gallery.

Why don't you post photos of the editors/owners of ALL the media outlets, are they less culpable?

I don't think I'll bother with discussing this topic much more, seems some have painted themselves into a corner and squirming.

Beer time.

What is really telling in these threads is how many people have so little respect for other governments autonomy and their own as well and choose to put all of the power in the hands of the US. If the US already dominates the world as seems to be the case expressed then why even have those governments in the first place? Maybe the time HAS come for the new world order according to most here they have no independent thought anyway :rolleyes: ...

Maybe only one murderer was dumb and arrogant enough to go on TV and tell the whole world that he pulled the trigger. ;)

So now you think he should be charged with murder do you? Better call the US govt again and tell them you've changed your mind from espionage. Don't forget they will need reasons because they don't know what to do yet. The mustn't be very bright, perhaps they should indeed start listening to the TV peanut gallery.

Why don't you post photos of the editors/owners of ALL the media outlets, are they less culpable?

I don't think I'll bother with discussing this topic much more, seems some have painted themselves into a corner and squirming.

Beer time.

Wallaby said, "So to use your argument......4 people commit murder, we'll just charge one person for it."

I said, "1,2,3 or 4. Makes no difference in guilt. The fact that only one murderer was charged does not make him less guilty. Yes or no?"

Unless I missed something you didn't answer my question. Perhaps it is you in the corner.

Beer time.

Wallaby said, "So to use your argument......4 people commit murder, we'll just charge one person for it."

I said, "1,2,3 or 4. Makes no difference in guilt. The fact that only one murderer was charged does not make him less guilty. Yes or no?"

Unless I missed something you didn't answer my question. Perhaps it is you in the corner.

I'm sorry I honestly didn't see your question.

No it doesn't make him less guilty. But what it does is show how corrupt the govt is for only charging 1 when all 4 did the same thing. Allegedly of course.

For me, I think this part of the argument has basically run it's course. I'll just await more leaks and further foot stamping by the govt's involved and see what transpires. Regardless, it will surely be entertaining either way. :D