Annual Sale At Shinawatra Silk

NancyL

The annual sale started today at Shinawatra Silk on Huey Kaew Rd. Everything in the store seems to be at least 20 - 30% off but the real "buys" are the remnants in the small building just north of the main store, toward the mountain. There are no signs directing you to that building, you seem to have to ask or "be in the know". A remnant is the piece left at the end of a roll of fabric once the rest of the roll is sold. They aren't seconds nor are they stained, unlike some other remnants I've bought at the fabric shops in Wararot.

Most of the remnants are 2 - 3 meters long, plenty for a blouse or shirt. There are hundreds, neatly arranged in bins, clearly labeled with length and price. They are about 25% of the original price. So, for about 100-150 baht/meter I was able to purchase some beautful Thai silk, that really is 100% Thai silk for some blouses for me and shirts for Hubby.

The sale continues thru mid January but I expect the selection of these wonderful remnants will become limited.

Out of curiosity, what's the attraction to Thai silk? It's rough and nasty. Terrible material for anything, especially something that you wear.. Yuck.

I went to this about 5 or 6 years ago and got a great quality remnant for about 400 baht. Brought it round the corner to my sewing lady and had her make me a 'sleeping bag'. For 40 baht she just sewed the edges and made a human sized pillow case. It's larger than the ones you'll find at the night bazaar and its a better quality of silk as well. It's still in great condition and has been a great traveling tool, don't go anywhere without it. Saw an article in NYTimes suggesting Xmas presents for travelers and they recommended something similar and suggested retail price was 60 bucks.

I've also grabbed some for curtains, seat covers, pillow cases. . .so no, I never wear it but If you like to decorate, that silk sale is worth taking a look at.