Thai Students Score Poor Marks In World Survey

webfact

EDUCATION

Thai students score poor marks in world survey

By The Nation

The scores of most Thai students are below international average in all subjects, according to the Programme for International Student Assessment (PISA) 2009.

The international assessment, which surveyed the abilities of students in 65 economies around the world, found that nearly half Thai students did not have basic reading and science skills; and more than half lacked basic math skills.

In all, while the average international reading scores were at 492, average Thai students scored just 422 - ranking Thais in 50th place. As for science, the international average score reached 496, but Thailand's average stood at just 422 - ranking Thais in 48th place.

In mathematics, the international average touched 496 but the average scores among Thais were just 419, ranking them again in 50th place.

Thai students' scores have also dropped across the board when compared with PISA 2000 findings.

Only students at demonstration schools have displayed abilities on par with international standards, the PISA 2009 survey found. They earned 533 points in science, 526 points in reading, and 533 points in mathematics on average.

PISA was launched in 1999 by the Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development (OECD). Since then, four assessments have been carried out (in 2000, 2003, 2006 and 2009).

PISA assesses how far students nearing the end of compulsory education have acquired knowledge and skills essential for full participation in society. In all cycles, the domains of reading, mathematical and scientific literacy are covered not merely in terms of mastery of the school curriculum, but in terms of knowledge and skills needed in adult life. In the PISA 2003 cycle, an additional domain of problem solving was introduced to continue the examination of cross-curriculum competencies.

According to PISA 2009, the quality of teachers has a greater impact on students than physical infrastructure Even though Thai schools have become better equipped with computers and the Internet, students' overall performance has not improved.

Students in South Korea, Shanghai, Hong Kong, Japan, Singapore and Taipei performed much better than their Thai and Indonesian peers in the PISA 2009.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2010-12-08

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One test means nothing. Many nations prep their students to do these tests. It's a competition. The true indicator is that of innovation and a nation where new ideas and thinking are encouraged. Some of the nations that performed poorly such as the USA and India are still incubators of genius. An education is just a piece of paper unless there is an outlet for minds to soar and imaginations to bloom. Does Thailand meet the test? Well, despite all of the talk of low IQs and semi retarded kids walking about, Thailand seems to be doing ok in terms of maintaining itself.

Well, Thai never, ever listen to the foreign experts on Education. Unless Thai change ways in educating their students in Thailand to the same standards as other well developed countries have. They will still be considered the laughing stock of society, not able to accomplish much then make sumtum, give massages, be tour guides or taking up the "Family" business.

One test means nothing. Many nations prep their students to do these tests. It's a competition. The true indicator is that of innovation and a nation where new ideas and thinking are encouraged. Some of the nations that performed poorly such as the USA and India are still incubators of genius. An education is just a piece of paper unless there is an outlet for minds to soar and imaginations to bloom. Does Thailand meet the test? Well, despite all of the talk of low IQs and semi retarded kids walking about, Thailand seems to be doing ok in terms of maintaining itself.

So your point is that Thailand did a poorer job prepping its students for this "test"? I think it would be hard to make the case that the Thai education system is one where "new ideas and thinking" are encouraged. An I would be hard pressed to see where Thailand is an "incubator of genius" comparable to India or the US.

Lets face it folks, the Thai education system is a an antiquated behemoth, weighed down by a bloated, self-serving bureaucracy and corruption. Rather than making excuses for the poor assessment, this (and other surveys) should serve as a wake-up call for all those who have a genuine interest in giving Thai kids a fair chance to realize their potential and compete effectively in the global economy.

Articles like this one are interpreted differently by different people. It's a 'glass 1/2 full' or '1/2 empty' type of article. The country does manage to bump along, but I am inclined toward the 1/2 empty scenario. For a country that's been blessed with such bounties in a region of constant turmoil, they should be doing better.

Clearly those from America that are contributing to innovation and new ideas are not coming out of the American public system.

Same same Thailand

I've three kids who were born and have grown up here in Thailand. Two of them have attended Thai School, and one is currently in an English medium program. I cannot say that I am impressed with any of the education they have received. The 13 year old in the English program seems to be more interested in learning and she has to at least do a little homework usually. The others, I have never seen them have to open a book at home.

Why am I not surprised?

Yes I do completely agree that the quality of the teacher in the classroom is much more important that anything else; curriculum, infrastructure etc. A good teacher will foster a high level of learning in any environment (but the better the environment, curriculum and infrastructure the better chance that teacher will stay).

China did amazingly well this year, kicking the US and many European countries proverbial butts. Makes me think about cheating etc. but the tests were proctored by int. observers and was said to be kosher.

Thailand needs to train better teachers; will this happen, TIT :jap:

Articles like this one are interpreted differently by different people. It's a 'glass 1/2 full' or '1/2 empty' type of article. The country does manage to bump along, but I am inclined toward the 1/2 empty scenario. For a country that's been blessed with such bounties in a region of constant turmoil, they should be doing better.

Basic math would suggest that being ranked 50th out of 65 would make the glass closer to 3/4 empty, actually. Speaking of basic math: Just watched a recent 4-year graduate from a major Thai uni, pull out his iPhone in a shop to figure out how much is a discount of 20% from a price of THB 150! Isn't that sad?

"According to PISA 2009, the quality of teachers has a greater impact on students than physical infrastructure Even though Thai schools have become better equipped with computers and the Internet, students' overall performance has not improved."

Just another example of foreign mischief-making. Why do these foreigners not understand? The best way to deal with such nonsense is to ban internet access to these items so that our kids can get on with achieving high scores at online gaming.

And........This is a surprise????? Anyone that has been in Thailand longer than 2 days knows that the average Thai Government school is not teaching the students. The true desire is to "keep em stupid". If they get educated who's gonna work on the farms. Who will be their driver for 7000 baht a month, who is gonna work at the 7-11 for nearly nothing, who will work in the factories 10 hours a day, 6 days a week for 6000 baht? I once had a director of education for a school tell me "don't teach them too much". LOL Come to think of it, I kinda like going to the neighborhood restaurant and getting a fresh cooked meal and a bottle of water for less than 40 baht. Hell, I pay 36 baht for a liter of benzine.

Demonstration schools beat the international average quite handsomely. Kids who go to better schools outscore those who go to lesser ones seems to be the message which is likely the same across the world. Interestingly although demonstration schools are not bottom rung, they are also not considered top and in most provinces the assumed top school is a government one.

Its not all about teachers and teaching. I taught in a Thai High school for 2 years and 80% of the students were only interested in having fun at school. Whatever the English native teacher tried to do if it wasn't fun then they were not interested, On top of the fact many students , particularly outside the cities dont seem to think education is important and that has to be a parental and cultural issue

Edited by KKvampire

Well, largely the education of students does fall on the teachers. Students everywhere go to school because they are told to go to school, they learn what they are taught and what they are taught is determined by the gov't or some entity with such powers. Students everywhere like to enjoy themselves and play.

The job of the school and the teachers is to develop an environment that is conducive to learning. That means some discipline, some rules and some consequences. Teachers need to make the lessons as appropriate as possible and geared to the level of the students.

Working and being associated with a number of schools, I see some things that hark back in time to two generations ago in most Western Countries. Some schools spend considerable time on teaching handwriting. Students are criticized and humiliated if their notebooks are not neat enough. They must write exactly what is on the board and the way it is written. Information and spelling is not important--neatness is. This encourages copying only. No thinking. No writing down what you don't know.

Some schools insist that all students do all the work in class--such as copying the notes on the board. If a student is particularly slow, then everyone gets to wait.

In short, the system is geared toward mediocrity. Excelling is valued greatly.

Good job the students were not asked to answer questions on World History (WW1, WW2, Korean War, Vietnam war, Communism or anything remotely related to another country), Geography (Is Scotland same same near England?) and basic Arithmetic without using a calculator, (Bill 300 Baht how much change from a 500 Baht note) ......they would have scored a lot lower than they did....

Its not just Thailand.... the world today hands out medals, certificates and Degrees for less than mediocrity...

Averageness

a quality that is adequate or acceptable, but not very good

Mediocre person

somebody who lacks any special skill or flair

And before I am flamed for mentioning wars....knowing about them might help people understand something called "animosity and hatred between nations that still lingers today and divests itself under other banners including sporting events and even the Eurovison Song Contest !!!

And........This is a surprise????? Anyone that has been in Thailand longer than 2 days knows that the average Thai Government school is not teaching the students. The true desire is to "keep em stupid". If they get educated who's gonna work on the farms. Who will be their driver for 7000 baht a month, who is gonna work at the 7-11 for nearly nothing, who will work in the factories 10 hours a day, 6 days a week for 6000 baht? I once had a director of education for a school tell me "don't teach them too much". LOL Come to think of it, I kinda like going to the neighborhood restaurant and getting a fresh cooked meal and a bottle of water for less than 40 baht. Hell, I pay 36 baht for a liter of benzine.

You might be good at maths but you're struggling with your fractions........

Its not all about teachers and teaching. I taught in a Thai High school for 2 years and 80% of the students were only interested in having fun at school. Whatever the English native teacher tried to do if it wasn't fun then they were not interested, On top of the fact many students , particularly outside the cities don't seem to think education is important and that has to be a parental and cultural issue

That is the problem. Thai don't know how to separate fun from being serious, such as in School. That is why after school, where do students go to: either an Internet shop to play games, or to their friends. Rarely home to study their work from school.

One of the parents in our building, always complains. Once they bought their 12 year old boy a computer. He doesn’t study, he plays games of goes on Camfrog. I asked them if they have laid down any rules about computer usage, like homework first, if you need to write up a paper then you write it out then use the computer to create a nice presentable document. They say, no. I recommended, that they pull the plug or take the monitor out and store it somewhere else. Like my grandmother used to do to my mother and her sisters with the TV > pulled one of the tubes out.

This same article was used in UK to pan British schools - where the marks were just around the 'average' of all 65 countries.

Commented to my daughter (who is a teacher, head of her department) and she said that the government were intending to mess around with the system again, but it had been going downhill for the past 10-15 years.

Asked her what the main item of cure should be.

One word - "Parenting".

Yes, I know she's a teacher, but before that she was a kid and we taught her the three R's before she ever went to primary school. It was - and still is - my opinion that a good education is the best gift you can give your children.

Thai students are not allowed to parcipate in constructive bebates or even question the instructor. They must accept what the instructor says so if he is a blithering idiot then the students will be worse.

See my previous post ref :- Mediocre person.....:jap: ......blithering idiot is great ...long time since I heard that.....and you are correct about Thais...they cannot/will not question anything...cultural issue...sadly very entrenched.

The whole education system is a joke from top to bottom.

At junior school kids can buy graduation points by helping to

harvest the teachers rice crop as my son in law did.

We then put him in a Bangkok school where each year they refused to give him his

yearly pass marks until we had paid for the next year. This was to stop him moving to a better school.

I taught english to first year engineering students at a well respected university.

I had one student you refused to say one word in english, not one word!

I had no choice but to fail him. The admin department then called me in and pointed out that he had to pass

in order to continue with his studies but that his family had paid in advance.

They refused to pay me my salary (in a very nice way but the point was made)

until I signed him off with the minimum passmark.

The whole education system is rotten to the core.

Most people come to Thailand for a holiday.

You on the other hand spent your first two days looking for things that were wrong in your way of thinking. Thailand can do very well with out people like you.

Yes there are a lot of people who think like you but they did not form that opinion in there first two days. They form there opinions on experiance and things they have witnessed. Not step off a plane and say the school system is wrong.B)

Edited by jayjay0

Its not all about teachers and teaching. I taught in a Thai High school for 2 years and 80% of the students were only interested in having fun at school. Whatever the English native teacher tried to do if it wasn't fun then they were not interested, On top of the fact many students , particularly outside the cities dont seem to think education is important and that has to be a parental and cultural issue

I noticed they did not test for English speaking skills and yet from what I have read they try to get them to learn English.

I know in my school years Latin was a mandatory subject. I hated it but I did not carry that hatred over to other important subjects.( I hated English too ) The point is English will be of no use to the great majority of them.

A teacher can justify Math and Science a lot easier than he can justify English. And has been pointed out here many times A good teacher can make a big difference. Don't saddle them with a useless topic.

The true indicator is that of innovation and a nation where new ideas and thinking are encouraged.

Traits for which Thailand is particularly renowned. :whistling:

Lets face it folks, the Thai education system is a an antiquated behemoth, weighed down by a bloated, self-serving bureaucracy and corruption. Rather than making excuses for the poor assessment, this (and other surveys) should serve as a wake-up call for all those who have a genuine interest in giving Thai kids a fair chance to realize their potential and compete effectively in the global economy.

:jap:

China did amazingly well this year, kicking the US and many European countries proverbial butts. Makes me think about cheating etc. but the tests were proctored by int. observers and was said to be kosher.

The Chinese government realized quite some time ago that their antiquated and creaking education system was not in any way meeting the needs of their rapidly industrializing society. As a consequence, they have invested huge amounts of time, money and planning in trying to improve the system at all levels. If these results are anything to go by, this is obviously beginning to bear fruit, even if they still have some way to go. Post-Communist Poland was in a very similar situation, and has likewise adopted a determined strategy intended to raise the standards of education across the board (not solely for the academically gifted).

In the meantime, Thai schools continue to churn out motorcycle taxi drivers, som tom sellers and sex workers by the truckload.

Edited by Rumpole