Problems Calling Thai Mobiles..

Totster

Yesterday it took 30 minutes of constant calling to get through to my wifes mobile... and then the quality was rubbish..

All I got call after call was .." welcome to call back service" in that annoying voice.. :o

I know that she had service because she kept calling me to ask why I hadn't called her back... :D ... so she could call me, but I couldn't call her...

Whoevers fault this is, whether it be AIS or CAT/TOT or whoever, should sort the country's communications out.... To not have enough capacity to deal with calls in this day and age is quite frankly a joke....

How can Thailand sell itself to foreign investors if they can't even get the communications infrastrcture out of the last century..

And for information... sometimes when this happens I can call direct from BT or my mobile not using the "cheap" options and manage to get through, but not this time, nothing would get through...

Totster :D

Just curious, are you both in Thailand? If so, do you both have the same provider? When I call from my One-2-Call (AIS) mobile to friends on DTAC it often takes five or six tries before I get through. AIS<-->DTAC SMS'es are even more interesting. AIS-->DTAC works fine, SMS delivered in seconds but DTAC-->AIS SMS'es are often not delivered, or delivered hours/days later, and they are repeated up to seven times. That is, the AIS subscriber receives the same SMS up to seven times. Maybe this is how they are boosting revenue? I do agree that reliable communications (voice, text, internet) are required, and most of the 30 or so GSM countries I've visited seem to have solved inter-operator connectivity problems. The situation here in Thailand, as I've come to understand it is less than ideal, and I've experienced little improvement even though all the operators have increased their interconnections in the last 45 days.

Just curious, are you both in Thailand? If so, do you both have the same provider? When I call from my One-2-Call (AIS) mobile to friends on DTAC it often takes five or six tries before I get through. AIS<-->DTAC SMS'es are even more interesting. AIS-->DTAC works fine, SMS delivered in seconds but DTAC-->AIS SMS'es are often not delivered, or delivered hours/days later, and they are repeated up to seven times. That is, the AIS subscriber receives the same SMS up to seven times. Maybe this is how they are boosting revenue?  I do agree that reliable communications (voice, text, internet) are required, and most of the 30 or so GSM countries I've visited seem to have solved inter-operator connectivity problems. The situation here in Thailand, as I've come to understand it is less than ideal, and I've experienced little improvement even though all the operators have increased their interconnections in the last 45 days.

I'm calling from the UK... but I believe the problems I am having and the problems that you are having are connected. :o

totster :D

Apparently its since they started this super cheap 25 satang call thing. I don't know the details as I still use my old service but they brought in this service which apparently you can use more cheaply in evenings for around 25 satang. Result is all the networks have been overloaded. Normally takes about 4 or 5 times to get a DTAC number, Orange often worse; AIS seems to be affected too. They wanted to boost sale of new sims and people using more calltime but its at the expense of old customers; the network and connections have gone really downhill.

well, I seem to be lucky this time, I placed a lot of calls in the last days from my Orange number (the DTAC sim is in one of the notebooks) to various numbers, TOT, AIS, DTAC and Orange, and I got the AIS voicemail just one time :D

But some time ago, it was really bad, and even switching between Orange and DTAC didn't help when I needed to get an AIS number. Which could not really be overload because I could get non AIS numbers. :o