Amazon Kindle In Thailand?

CrossBones

OK, here's a fun question.

Say you buy a wireless Kindle in the US and activate on a wireless network in the US. Amazon won't see ebooks unless they have a registered Kindle on file.

So then you take it to Thailand and only want to feed in books from your PC via the USB port, but have no wireless ISP in Thailand or intention to connect to one.

Can you still use you Kindle in Thailand without ever connecting to a wireless network in Thailand?

Yes. You buy the book on Amazon and then choose the option to download to your computer rather than to your Kindle. If you registered your device with Amazon, then at the top right of your Amazon page will be a line reading 'Your Digital Items.' Click on that and you will see a list of every book you've ordered from the Kindle Store, even ones you previously downloaded direct to the device. Click on any item in the list and you'll be offered the option to download to your computer and transfer from there. It takes less than a minute and you simply drag the file into the 'Documents' folder of your Kindle after connecting it to the computer via USB.

This is the only way I've been able to do it in Thailand since my wifi isn't working with the unit. It suits me fine.

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think a few wpeople are confused about 3G and Kindle. THe Kindle has its own prepaid account from Amazon to use. You do not have to have a private 3G account.

If there is no 3g it reverts to a slower speed but still works in most of Thailand.

Also if you buy in the US you do not recieve the correct charger.

I think a few wpeople are confused about 3G and Kindle. THe Kindle has its own prepaid account from Amazon to use. You do not have to have a private 3G account.

If there is no 3g it reverts to a slower speed but still works in most of Thailand.

Please clarify. Aren't there TWO ways to charge, through a direct connection to a power outlet and also directly from a USB port on a PC? I am assuming the PC USB would work ANYWHERE, on any Kindle, correct? I also assume by not giving you the correct charger that the plug is a US plug (works in Thailand) and also that that the voltage is not variable and is set to US voltage only, correct? That sounds crazy that they wouldn't include a variable input as so many use the thing while traveling.

Please clarify. Aren't there TWO ways to charge, through a direct connection to a power outlet and also directly from a USB port on a PC? I am assuming the PC USB would work ANYWHERE, on any Kindle, correct? I also assume by not giving you the correct charger that the plug is a US plug (works in Thailand) and also that that the voltage is not variable and is set to US voltage only, correct? That sounds crazy that they wouldn't include a variable input as so many use the thing while traveling.

The usb plug will work. The US one looks the same as the thai one but different to the european or australian. It has no manual way of adjusting input.

Not sure what you mean by no way of manually adjusting input.

I am talking about being capable of working on both Thai and US electrical current.

For example, I have an adapter for another device that says this -- INPUT 100 - 240V so of course it works in both countries.

Not sure what you mean by no way of manually adjusting input.

I am talking about being capable of working on both Thai and US electrical current.

For example, I have an adapter for another device that says this -- INPUT 100 - 240V so of course it works in both countries.

I have Physically checked the one that came with my large kindle and it is indeed 110-240v. It has two flat prongs.

Yeah, so I still don't understand what what harry was saying exactly regarding the Kindle charger bought in the US not working in Thailand.

I id not say that....I said that you would get the charger as supplied in the US. The charger does vary in different countries.

Buy what you want ...or maybe you could try a poll.

My Kindle didn't come with a charger. To be honest I don't even remember if it came with a USB cable. I have a pile of them lying around anyway. They're cheap here, maybe around 200 baht or so. Same thing with a charger, you can buy one in Tukcom also for around 200 baht.

My 3G Kindle received yesterday (from Amazon) comes with a USB charger cable.

I have already bought 7 books from Amazon, goes direct into the Kindle app. 2 min(3G -EDGE) after purchasing via the pc. You can even buy direct from the Kindle but I find it easier from the pc.

Oh boy what a nice bit of kit, the best electronic appliance I bought for many years, and so easy to use and I am very bad at these things. :whistling:

When I go to work (2 month) on Sunday my suit case will be much lighter than usual as I carry min 5-6 books, but this time only Mr. Kindle, good stuff.

I bought my Kindle DX3 (the model with the larger screen) from Amazon UK - it was brought here by my daughter on her most recent visit.

It has no direct Mains charger, only a USB - USB connector which needs to be connected via a Computer to recharge the Kindle. It is not a "Standard" USB Cable however, one end is a much smaller Plug designed to fit into the Kindle Port - the other end is standard USB which will fit into any standard USB Port.

Never had a single problem downloading from Amazon - as someone already mentioned apparently the unit has a dedicated 3G SIM (for which I pay nothing) and when I buy a Book on Amazon it is downloaded and almost immediately available on my Kindle here in Thailand - and by "almost immediately" I mean within 30 - 45 seconds.

Problem is, buying and downloading is so d@mn easy I find I am buying more eBooks than I ever did "real" books in Asia Books or wherever!

Patrick

I am still totally confused. A poster suggests what is delivered in the US is different than Thailand. I don't have a Kindle so I don't have the reference point owners do. I am planning to buy a Kindle in the US. I assume I can plug it into my PC via USB and charge it in Thailand. (Already verified.) My understanding is that it also comes with a connection to a wall outlet. Will the US delivered Kindle wall outlet charging work in Thailand, or not? If not, why not?

Also when you say your Kindle is this or that, in regard to this question unless you say whether it was delivered in the US or Thailand, it really doesn't address this question.

Edited by Jingthing

I am still totally confused. A poster suggests what is delivered in the US is different than Thailand. I don't have a Kindle so I don't have the reference point owners do. I am planning to buy a Kindle in the US. I assume I can plug it into my PC via USB and charge it in Thailand. (Already verified.) My understanding is that it also comes with a connection to a wall outlet. Will the US delivered Kindle wall outlet charging work in Thailand, or not? If not, why not?

Also when you say your Kindle is this or that, in regard to this question unless you say whether it was delivered in the US or Thailand, it really doesn't address this question.

THe kindle 3g I recieved in Thailand did include a mains charger as well as the usb cable. I understand the type varies by country which is why I menioned it. (I understand the version sent to Australia did not include a charger but that may not be the case now. The do sell after market chargers which vary acording to the country.

OK, thanks for the clarification. That doesn't seem to really have any relevance however EITHER WAY whether the standard charger sold to US orders works in Thailand, or not.

US uses 110V and Thailand 220V but many chargers nowadays will accept 100-230V range. If you want to be sure ask Amazon if a US purchased Kindle's charger will work in LOS. The power plug is properly different but 50 bath will solve that.

I will always have aces to a pc so I don't need the charger but only the USB cable which can also be used for transfer books/PDF files from pc.

OK, question answered from Amazon -- Kindle ships with a U.S. power adapter and a micro-USB cable for charging your Kindle from a computer USB port. The U.S. power adapter supports voltages 100V-240V.

So the voltage input is fine for Thailand and I have never had any problem with US plugs in Thailand either.

Did you specify that you were going to order it from Thailand? I am 100% sure my Kindle did not come with a power adapter! Just checked and it did come with a USB cable, it is still in the box ;)

You don't have a charging cable AND you never have charged your unit via USB? Huh?

If Kindle 3G can be used only for purchasing books and no other communications, I'd rather save the $50 difference. The standard Kindle with built-in Wi-Fi at $139 should be enough for that purpose.

The new model (not sure what it's called) is 4.8" x 7.5" with (the same) display of 6" diagonal, 3-week/1-month battery life, 3,500 books storage and better contrast. The only drawback is the lack of color. (See http://www.amazon.com/dp/B002Y27P3M/?tag=gocous-20&hvadid=5729884517&ref=pd_sl_d5maxou16_b )

My question is, is it attractive enough for children? I'm thinking of buying one for my daughter. She is 8 and likes to read books (and also looking at pictures).

Edited by Condo_bk

Did you specify that you were going to order it from Thailand? I am 100% sure my Kindle did not come with a power adapter! Just checked and it did come with a USB cable, it is still in the box ;)

You don't have a charging cable AND you never have charged your unit via USB? Huh?

Good to see you're awake. I have several USB chargers, but I didn't get any of them from Amazon <_<

I do occasionally connect the Kindle to the PC to load books and stuff, but charging it through that connection takes forever. It is much faster with a charger.

Thanks. USB/PC charging takes forever? Like what does that mean, two hours?

2-3 hours I think, but when charged it can last for up to a month according to the manual so not like a mobile phone that need charging much more frequently.

I didn't time it but more like overnight I think, judging from past experience trying to charge my smartphone the same way. Power charger takes about an hour or two. As guzzi850m2 posted just before me, once charged it has enough power for 3-4 weeks or more, so it's not something that I do very often.

I didn't time it but more like overnight I think, judging from past experience trying to charge my smartphone the same way. Power charger takes about an hour or two. As guzzi850m2 posted just before me, once charged it has enough power for 3-4 weeks or more, so it's not something that I do very often.

Could be. I got mine yesterday and charged it fully in app. 3 hours but didn't notice how much "juice" was on the battery from out of the box. Will know in 3-4 weeks :D . I wonder if a power charge is good for the battery in the long run?

If Kindle 3G can be used only for purchasing books and no other communications, I'd rather save the $50 difference. The standard Kindle with built-in Wi-Fi at $139 should be enough for that purpose.

The new model (not sure what it's called) is 4.8" x 7.5" with (the same) display of 6" diagonal, 3-week/1-month battery life, 3,500 books storage and better contrast. The only drawback is the lack of color. (See http://www.amazon.com/dp/B002Y27P3M/?tag=gocous-20&hvadid=5729884517&ref=pd_sl_d5maxou16_b )

My question is, is it attractive enough for children? I'm thinking of buying one for my daughter. She is 8 and likes to read books (and also looking at pictures).

The Kindle only has a B & W screen so may not be much fun for children who tend to prefer books with lots of coloured pictures.

Patrick

Not sure what all the fuss is about. My kindle, ordered from Amazon, delivered to the US, and then carried here by my friend had the cable included. there is a charger that plugs into the wall here and the usb end of the included cable is plugged into it. it can be unplugged from the charger and plugged into the computer. Works great, as advertized.You will enjoy it very much.

post-24771-0-20226600-1304998981_thumb.j

To clarify this question I went to the Amazon Kindle order page specified delivery outside USA. I was redirected to a special page for international orders. On this page it clearly say "does not include a power adapter."

post-1539-0-39244500-1305002651_thumb.pn

Not sure what all the fuss is about. My kindle, ordered from Amazon, delivered to the US, and then carried here by my friend had the cable included. there is a charger that plugs into the wall here and the usb end of the included cable is plugged into it. it can be unplugged from the charger and plugged into the computer. Works great, as advertized.You will enjoy it very much.

A friend of mine bought one for me in the US. It has an identical AC plug and USB cable as shown in the above post. While plugged in to the AC outlet, it shows an orange light near the USB micro plug in. The light turns to green when the unit is fully charged. It works great and I am very impressed with mine.