Phuket Chief Exec

stuandchris

I believe the root problem is the hocus-pocus Visa system. Of course there is a way to a health scheme for retirees if there are will? But it would first be necessary with an overhaul of the visa system. Today you need basically only a flight ticket to come here. That has to change unless they want Thailand to be the crime hub (another hub) of the world.

800K or if they set it up to 1m as they soon will and then probably call it extra Health Insurance cover, the easiest for them, but no guaranty for that there are any money at all. Most people are living of that money and some even borrow them. How can that be a cover for Health issues?

No, I believe in a specific obligatory set up Social Security cover for foreign retirees with a monthly contribution. 7 - 10% of minimum income requirement for retirement visa should be acceptable. Or obligatory health insurance for the young and healthy enough to get that, paid upfront when applying for the retirement visa. Retirees which want to spend 3 months here a year have to show proof of travel insurance for the whole period when applying for their tourist visa.

Thai nationals wanting to go to Sweden(Schengen), must have health insurance for the period they apply to stay, max 90 days.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thai nationals wanting to go to Sweden(Schengen), must have health insurance for the period they apply to stay, max 90 days.

Yes, that is for the whole Schengen area for tourists visas.

Here in Thailand besides visa exempt entries we are talking about 2 visas: tourist visa and (extension of) non-immigrant visa. And just as in the Schengen area, for a visa comparable to a non-immigrant visa there is no health insurance requirement. I do believe, but am not sure about that, that depending on the country health insurance is required and/or provided.

Edited by stevenl

for a visa comparable to a non-immigrant visa there is no health insurance requirement. I do believe, but am not sure about that, that depending on the country health insurance is required and/or provided.

I believe they who stay more than 3 month in Sweden go in under the National social insurance plan.

for a visa comparable to a non-immigrant visa there is no health insurance requirement. I do believe, but am not sure about that, that depending on the country health insurance is required and/or provided.

I believe they who stay more than 3 month in Sweden go in under the National social insurance plan.

allowed to stay more than 90 days(usually by marriage to a swede), Thais become swedish residents and covered as other residents

my point was, Thais going to Schengen as non residents need Insurance, so why should we not need Insurance or financial guarantees to be her in LOS?

allowed to stay more than 90 days(usually by marriage to a swede), Thais become swedish residents and covered as other residents

my point was, Thais going to Schengen as non residents need Insurance, so why should we not need Insurance or financial guarantees to be her in LOS?

Thais going to schengen as tourists need health insurance, afaik not as non residents.

I would personally welcome a suitable Social security system drawn up specifically for foreign retirees or a insurance policy based on retirees needs, but well the Thai Government have to draw up the lines and as long as they don’t do that then the foreign burden at the Thai hospitals is probably less than what the benefits are with keeping the system as it is.

On a side note and I take myself as an example had got into a suitable Social Security system for retirees and contributed monthly to the Social security system from day one in Thailand, example based on 65K and 7% deduction monthly. I would, included 2010 paid in 760000, - Baht. What have I used at the hospitals these years? That is approximately and roughly 50-60000, - Baht. Noting big, Thank God for that and knock on wood.

However that’s how a Social Security Insurance should work and my or anyone else’s contribution would have been beneficial for someone else.

:)

I believe the root problem is the hocus-pocus Visa system. Of course there is a way to a health scheme for retirees if there are will? But it would first be necessary with an overhaul of the visa system. Today you need basically only a flight ticket to come here. That has to change unless they want Thailand to be the crime hub (another hub) of the world.

800K or if they set it up to 1m as they soon will and then probably call it extra Health Insurance cover, the easiest for them, but no guaranty for that there are any money at all. Most people are living of that money and some even borrow them. How can that be a cover for Health issues?

No, I believe in a specific obligatory set up Social Security cover for foreign retirees with a monthly contribution. 7 - 10% of minimum income requirement for retirement visa should be acceptable. Or obligatory health insurance for the young and healthy enough to get that, paid upfront when applying for the retirement visa. Retirees which want to spend 3 months here a year have to show proof of travel insurance for the whole period when applying for their tourist visa.

Thats so they dont fall back on the public option..

I seriously dont believe a significant amount of people end up using the Thai national health.

Thais going to schengen as tourists need health insurance, afaik not as non residents.

I took girls to Holland / UK / and Ireland and never got it.

However the point is made clear.. Residents, which is what the expats here are despite visa status.. get FREE medical care. Not complaints about how a tiny tiny percentage might leave a bill when they die.

Uk is not schengen, and for schengen health insurance is required, and from what i've seen checked on visa collection.

Schengen visa with multiple entries, valid for one year or more. If so, they need a Travel Medical Insurance that is valid for at least one year. Even with a one-year multiple-entry visa, the applicant cannot stay in the Schengen area more than 90 days within any 6-month period.

The above is based on spouses or close family members to Schengen member States citizens.

My wife go every year and she usually apply for a multiple visa and she then need to show proof of one year insurance. However that insurance is based on that each trip are not longer than 120 days. The insurance was last year 3800, - Baht.

If we however should want to move back permanent she will automatically go in under the National Social insurance scheme. Every citizen and non citizen receiving income get deducted 3% monthly to the scheme...eh and of course relatively high taxes on your income.

Anyway I don’t think a schengen system is applicable for Thailand in the near future for many reasons and it mostly comes down to one thing and that is Visa Status and what it includes.

However and as said before the Government can cut through and make a specific health cover system for retirees on one year visas if they see it’s beneficial.

In 2003 it wasnt required for Schengen, I simply made a guarantee to cover expenses for my GF for 90 days visit. Now it is.

Do you have source of your claim that the retirement money will be raised to 1m, because not one of my contacts heard anything about a upcoming change as mentioned by you.

Please provide credible source when you make a claim like this otherwise it is just hot air.

In 2003 it wasnt required for Schengen, I simply made a guarantee to cover expenses for my GF for 90 days visit. Now it is.

OK so its newer.. I took girls to holland and ireland back around end of 90's and start of 00's.. My wife didnt need any to the uk last year, or at least she didnt need any to get the visa.

Do you have source of your claim that the retirement money will be raised to 1m, because not one of my contacts heard anything about a upcoming change as mentioned by you.

Please provide credible source when you make a claim like this otherwise it is just hot air.

Ah... sorry Merijn.....It should have been probably in there. Anyway my post was just my opinion about what theoretically could be possible regarding Social Security/ Health insurance set up by the Thai Government for foreign retirees. IMO and unfortunately it’s more likely that the financial requirements for marriage/retirement visa will increase on the pretext of calling it health cover. I hope I’m wrong!