Speedboats Destroying Walkway To The Lighthouse

thaibeachlovers

I used to enjoy a stroll along the walkway between Bali Hi and the Lighthouse. It has been allowed to deteriorate, but was a quiet alternative to the Beach Rd walkway, and more than a few locals would go there to picnic in the evening.

Now however, speedboats are parked along the entire length of road to the Lighthouse, and have destroyed almost all the trees, and are in the process of demolishing the walls and seating.

Not only that, but it is no longer possible to park along the road, so the locals are not picnicing anymore.

This walkway cost the Pattaya public millions to build, but is now ruined, presumably so City Hall can pocket some rental money!

Lastly, the area around the Lighthouse itself is almost completely disintigrated and ruined. Perhaps the fireworks were more important than the Pattaya infrastructure!

Shame on the city officials responsible for this attrocity!

I agree with you it is now a mess maybe when the city becomes a world class tourist destination it will be ok. :)

It is a good walk up over them walking tracks , to the temple up top and back down the hill or continue on to Jomtien for a fitness walk but I am not sure how safe it is .

Edited by saintofsilence

When I lived in Pattaya I use to walk for exercise from Pattaya Klang through walking street, Bali High, along the walkway to the light house, and up the stairs to the helicopter pad. Sit and rest a bit and do the same in reverse. The walkway between Bali High and the light house was starting to deteriorate with oil from the boats back then and that was three years ago.

Barry

There's a lot of money to be made, and kudos to be had, from showy public works. But it seems to be characteristically Thai that not a single baht is then allocated for maintenance. Metal parts not welded in place are stolen for scrap. Footpaths and handrails are left to fall apart. My particular grumble about the Bali Hai - Lighthouse walk is litter. There are fancy bins along the way but the inner metal bins have long since disappeared and no effort is made to maintain and empty them. As a result the place is covered in garbage.

Up in the Royal Cliff / Big Buddha area there are several public toilet blocks. No doubt they were opened with lots of publicity, media photo opportunities and monks to bless them. All are now derelict and closed up. There are plenty of 'security guards' standing around this area doing nothing so how much would it cost to have a cleaning woman maintain the toilets and lock them up at night?

Edited by Spalpeen

One post removed from view, please read Thai Visa rule number 8

Sorry about that :jap: . I meant to say, a pity these seafront areas are not developed and cared for properly. Prime property and locations end up like the Bali High Pier in an ugly mess, which certainly will not attract any quality tourists. HL.

One post removed from view, please read Thai Visa rule number 8

Sorry about that :jap: . I meant to say, a pity these seafront areas are not developed and cared for properly. Prime property and locations end up like the Bali High Pier in an ugly mess, which certainly will not attract any quality tourists. HL.

:D

Wow, not a single put down. I feel vindicated!

I wonder if any officials in City Hall read our posts, and if they do, what their reactions are- shame, embarrasment or perhaps jocularity at the silly farangs caring about the Pattaya environment!

The shame of it is that Pattaya could indeed be a great place to live, for all. With proper zoning ( not just talking about it ) the night life could develop away from the beachfront ( Soi Buakhao and sois off, plus Walking Street ), improved roads and decent, unobstructed pavements, crossing lights that work ( what a total scandal the present situation is ), with police enforcement.

Two way traffic on Second Rd and a proper sound shell somewhere on the beach front would allow events like the Countdown to be held safely as Beach Rd could be closed to traffic. Plus of course, rebuilding the walkway.

The walkway under dfiscussion here could become as iconic a seafood restaurant strip as Hua Hin's, but none of it is going to happen under the present conditions in City Hall, which seems to exist in Lala Land, with all their pronouncements about Pattaya becoming a World Class resort. Do they even have a clue what that means?

Thaibeachlovers for mayor - he gets my vote anyway, well he would if I had one! And thanks for the reminder about the walk out to the lighthouse, hadn't done it for years and despite the presence of more speedboats than you would wish to see in a lifetime it wasn't a totally unpleasant experience. Nice breeze off the sea.

Thaibeachlovers for mayor - he gets my vote anyway, well he would if I had one! And thanks for the reminder about the walk out to the lighthouse, hadn't done it for years and despite the presence of more speedboats than you would wish to see in a lifetime it wasn't a totally unpleasant experience. Nice breeze off the sea.

I reckon it'd be great if farangs could stand for office here. Might become a nice place to live!

Yes, the sea breeze is lovely there.

The little restaurant near the lighthouse is a pleasant place to dine.

here here :intheclub:

these people couldn't plan their way out of a paper bag

World Class Tourist city my a*se !

The reason these speed boats are lined along the street leading to the light house is that they were temporarily parked there to make room for the New Year Celebration/fireworks show/concert during the New Year Count down. By this time they are all moved back to the parking lot where they normally stored. We know this because we have a boat there and were not able to use it during this time.

Edited by whatchamacallit

The reason these speed boats are lined along the street leading to the light house is that they were temporarily parked there to make room for the New Year Celebration/fireworks show/concert during the New Year Count down. By this time they are all moved back to the parking lot where they normally stored. We know this because we have a boat there and were not able to use it during this time.

Even before the NY the, lads that haul the boats out of the sea were parking them on the footpath. Its been a trial walking along that stretch for a few weeks now, The parking of motorbikes on the path plus the pulling down of some concrete posts hasn't helped either.

I fully agree with the OP's sentiments above: what has surprised me is how quickly the walkway has deteriorated, Its was fine back in April / May when I first arrived and started walking along there on a regular basis. Its a shame as once you get past the light-house, the walk up the hill to the Navy monument and the Buddha are really nice.

Londo

It's irrelevant as to whether they are there temporarily or not. The damage is done, and will not be repaired. The Beach Rd walkway hasn't been repaired in years, so I don't expect anything on the Lighthouse Rd.