Cbr 250 Vs Ninja 250

johnboy3739w

• Replies 832
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Odd claims on here given that the CBR250R that repeatedly humiliated fleets of ninjettes on the track (22 in the first race, unknown in the last three races as the results only showed the losing positions of riders 2 through to 10.) were racing Superstock.

Only mods allowed were pipe, airbox and fuel delivery.

The CBR250R that waxed everything else was running an M4 streetslayer pipe ($495)

Bazzaz Z-FI, ($379)

and a Velocity Stock airfilter. (price unknown).

• 2 weeks later...

was at Mityon today and was offered a new CR 250 (non ABS) for 99,000................

Is that a 2011 and they're doing that because the 2012s are around the corner?

Either way that's a pretty good when you consider the price of a Honda PCX..... :S

was at Mityon today and was offered a new CR 250 (non ABS) for 99,000................

I severely doubt it.

The bike isn't even a year old so it will probably be a few years before little upgrades are made.

I severely doubt it.

The bike isn't even a year old so it will probably be a few years before little upgrades are made.

We'll see...

I bought the first year model of the old CBR 150. By the second year model, the engine had less vibration, the mirrors were mounted in a different fashion, and the rear shock became adjustable.

If there are no changes, take the old model on a clearout when they release the 2012 models in 2-3 months.

Unless the new models are delayed due to factory problems. I read the motorcycle factory is not affected by the floods...yet.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Poor little CB'r' thumper doesn't stand a chance against the Ninjette twin KawasakiSmiley2.jpg

cheesy.gif

Yep, pretty even up to about 90, above that the HP of the Ninja at high RPM is always going to blitz the 'usable torque' of the newb friendly CB'r'. Pretty much matches all the figures I've seen but it's good to see what that actually looks like in the real world.

That CB'r' was really slow once it got around the 140kph mark. Wouldn't fancy overtaking much at highway speeds on that thing - scary ohmy.png. Looked like it was topping out around 150 as well - pretty lame.

great vid bkk - but at 50k more - my money is with the Honda..

The Kawa is lookng very old now too and is screaming for a model change. The honda still looks very fresh - imho

I'm looking old too crazy.gif But if I were in the market for a 250cc bike I'd still spend a bit more for the Ninjette- it's just such a fun little screamer of a bike intheclub.gif

The CBR 250 engine is very tunable, CBR over the Ninja 250 any day

The Kawa is lookng very old now too and is screaming for a model change. The honda still looks very fresh - imho

I'm looking old too crazy.gif But if I were in the market for a 250cc bike I'd still spend a bit more for the Ninjette- it's just such a fun little screamer of a bike intheclub.gif

Edited by RidersCorner

All underpowered internal combustion engines are 'highly tunable.

Throw the same modifications at the Ninja 250 or any other engine and similar results will be achieved.

You could end up spending the difference in price between the two bikes to just end up with a CBR250 that has the same power as the stock Ninja 250, plus doing such modifications would leave you with a bike that has no warranty….

All underpowered internal combustion engines are 'highly tunable.

Throw the same modifications at the Ninja 250 or any other engine and similar results will be achieved.

You could end up spending the difference in price between the two bikes to just end up with a CBR250 that has the same power as the stock Ninja 250, plus doing such modifications would leave you with a bike that has no warranty….

The Ninja 250 would cost twice as much to modify though, with the exception of the electronics.

The Ninja 250 would cost twice as much to modify though, with the exception of the electronics.

Depends on the mods, no? The most basic mods will cost the same for both bikes- aftermarket pipe, air filter and FI controller should cost about the same.

But how much would you need to spend on the CB'r' just to make it EQUAL to the stock Ninjette?

But how much would you need to spend on the CB'r' just to make it EQUAL to the stock Ninjette?

nothing ,its already more than EQUAL :D

nothing ,its already more than EQUAL biggrin.png

Has completely smashed and humiliated the ninjettes in the US Superstock racing series. Braking record after record along the way.

The Ninja 250R is ultimately faster. That much is clear. And every review and test I've read confirms this. It is silly to argue this point. And I've ridden both and own a CBR250R. The Ninja 250R's average 2.5 extra rear-wheel hp (backed by magazine review dyno plots) does make a difference. However, I think the way that the race was set up definitely benefits the Ninja 250R. For instance, revving the bikes at the start line - while conventional - does allow the Ninja 250R to launch at high RPM, where it can take advantage of all of its power and torque. How many people ride their bikes like this in the real world? The Ninja has a 14,000 RPM redline vs. the CBR250R's modest 10,500 one. If the bikes were involved in a "street-start" (i.e., both launched at 5 mph in 1st gear, side by side) the Ninja 250R would again eventually win the drag - but the CBR250R would likely have been in the lead for longer. Why? Because most online magazine dyno results suggest the CBR250R produces more power AND torque than the Ninja 250R up to around 9000 RPM. After this point the Ninja 250R produces more power and its torque doesn't fall off as quickly as the CBR250R. This is one reason why most reviews of the bikes suggest that the CBR250R is more enjoyable, and easier to ride (and feels more powerful) at "real world" speeds, without having to rev the snot out of it. Also, the CBR250R is geared taller than the Ninja 250R. If the bikes were geared more equally, this would give the CBR250R a little more acceleration as well, but once again - ultimately - the Ninja 250R would pull away. If you love high redlines, screaming engines, and the sound of a bike constantly "on the boil" - then the racier Ninja 250R is the bike for you. It is a lot of fun to ride. There IS something very engaging about a bike that forces you to have to continually flog it to get any "go" from it. That is one reason I love riding my CBR150R.

With that said, I am reminded of a response I get from so many riders after they discover I ride small displacement bikes. I find myself having to defend the "Why don't you just get a (insert manufacturer) 600RR?". At least I can tell them that my CBR250R gets better than 80 mpg (imperial) even when flogged. The Ninja 250R? Well, the same online magazine reviews that attest to the Ninja's speed superiority over the CBR250R, also attest to the Ninja's fuel economy inferiority (carburated iteration) compared to the CBR250R. Up to 20 mpg poorer according to online tests that pit both bikes against each other. These results place the Ninja 250R in 600cc territory in terms of fuel economy according to the same online reviews. I wouldn't have such a quick and suitable come-back if I rode a Ninja 250R.

Mike

The Ninja 250R is ultimately faster. That much is clear. And every review and test I've read confirms this. It is silly to argue this point. And I've ridden both and own a CBR250R. The Ninja 250R's average 2.5 extra rear-wheel hp (backed by magazine review dyno plots) does make a difference. However, I think the way that the race was set up definitely benefits the Ninja 250R. For instance, revving the bikes at the start line - while conventional - does allow the Ninja 250R to launch at high RPM, where it can take advantage of all of its power and torque. How many people ride their bikes like this in the real world? The Ninja has a 14,000 RPM redline vs. the CBR250R's modest 10,500 one. If the bikes were involved in a "street-start" (i.e., both launched at 5 mph in 1st gear, side by side) the Ninja 250R would again eventually win the drag - but the CBR250R would likely have been in the lead for longer. Why? Because most online magazine dyno results suggest the CBR250R produces more power AND torque than the Ninja 250R up to around 9000 RPM. After this point the Ninja 250R produces more power and its torque doesn't fall off as quickly as the CBR250R. This is one reason why most reviews of the bikes suggest that the CBR250R is more enjoyable, and easier to ride (and feels more powerful) at "real world" speeds, without having to rev the snot out of it. Also, the CBR250R is geared taller than the Ninja 250R. If the bikes were geared more equally, this would give the CBR250R a little more acceleration as well, but once again - ultimately - the Ninja 250R would pull away. If you love high redlines, screaming engines, and the sound of a bike constantly "on the boil" - then the racier Ninja 250R is the bike for you. It is a lot of fun to ride. There IS something very engaging about a bike that forces you to have to continually flog it to get any "go" from it. That is one reason I love riding my CBR150R.

With that said, I am reminded of a response I get from so many riders after they discover I ride small displacement bikes. I find myself having to defend the "Why don't you just get a (insert manufacturer) 600RR?". At least I can tell them that my CBR250R gets better than 80 mpg (imperial) even when flogged. The Ninja 250R? Well, the same online magazine reviews that attest to the Ninja's speed superiority over the CBR250R, also attest to the Ninja's fuel economy inferiority (carburated iteration) compared to the CBR250R. Up to 20 mpg poorer according to online tests that pit both bikes against each other. These results place the Ninja 250R in 600cc territory in terms of fuel economy according to the same online reviews. I wouldn't have such a quick and suitable come-back if I rode a Ninja 250R.

Mike

nice post, also the ninja costs 50% more than the cbr (non abs). if someone really wants to race a screamer , they could buy an old honda nsr 150 or 250 two stroke next to their cbr for that 50.000 baht price difference.

but different strokes for different folkes.

Depends on the mods, no? The most basic mods will cost the same for both bikes- aftermarket pipe, air filter and FI controller should cost about the same.

Real mods like pistons, rings, crank pins, sparkplugs, bored throttle bodies and enlarged butterflies, valves, valve work, exhaust downpipe(2 in1 ), riser gaskets and spacers...

You'd need two of each.

Air filters, ecu and downpipe are novice mods.

The CBR 250 psyches people out because of its short, quick throttle pull. They're annoying to ride IMHO. You just twist it a little and it jumps.

If the throttle cable was adjusted on the Ninja 250 to react the same way, it would change the riding characteristics and the opinions of reviewers.

I've already modified a CBR 250 to equal a Ninja 250 at virtually no cost at all. If it wasnt for all the CBR 250 whores on this board I'd probably get one, but the constant spamming turns me off not wanting to ride what they ride...lol.

Anyway I'm in Hawaii now and there's 5-o everywhere i look. I can't cut between cars or drive on the shoulder or go to the front of the light, <Snip!> man it sucks to ride in the US.

Waiting behind a car when there's a nice open shoulder sucks.

Edited by metisdead
Profanity/expletive removed, you know better than that.

Good question.

An Arrow full exhaust is supposed to be able to take a CBR 250R up to 24,99 HP. Of course that's essentially what a Ninja 250R makes at the rear wheel, but it will have more torque. Where does the torque end up being equal, and at what price point? Too tired to do the numbers and look.

At any rate, the full Arrow system will cost 456 USD (14K THB). Figure 50% more for shipping, taxes, imports and you're looking at 21K THB. For a 115K bike, that means you'd have at least 8 000 km of free fuel.

a20791b13120a58213f175_m.jpg

Yep, pretty even up to about 90, above that the HP of the Ninja at high RPM is always going to blitz the 'usable torque' of the newb friendly CB'r'. Pretty much matches all the figures I've seen but it's good to see what that actually looks like in the real world.

That CB'r' was really slow once it got around the 140kph mark. Wouldn't fancy overtaking much at highway speeds on that thing - scary ohmy.png. Looked like it was topping out around 150 as well - pretty lame.

And the variance between actual speeds and those two bikes' reported speeds are what?

I am assuming that you consider 140 to be highway speeds? And your Ninja has sooo much power at that point (GPS not speedo), right?cheesy.gif

And the variance between actual speeds and those two bikes' reported speeds are what?

I am assuming that you consider 140 to be highway speeds? And your Ninja has sooo much power at that point (GPS not speedo), right?cheesy.gif

Just watch the video Dave, the speed the tach is reporting on each bike is irrelevant, the Ninja is clearing pulling away and is almost out of sight by the end. As you claim to be a 'numbers guy', you'll notice that the Ninja pulling away at 90kph matches the respective figures of both bikes reported pretty much everywhere i.e. very small advantage to the CBR below 90 at which point the Ninja walks away.

My speed on the highway varies anywhere between 80-200kph depending on which bike I'm riding and the conditions. Most cars on the highway tend to be around the 120kph mark, so accelerating at around 120kph to 130/140 would be typical 'overtaking at highway speeds' in my opinion. Everything is relative and obviously neither bike is a rocket ship, but yes the Ninja would be quicker from 120-140 than the CBR and have a higher top speed. Maybe that isn't important to you, but we're hardly talking supersonic speeds here - anywhere outside the city this is a fairly normal pace to ride to keep up with (or be a bit ahead of) the flow of traffic, so having extra power in this range is extremely useful on anything other than a short city hop. In Honda speak, it's 'usable power for everyday riding'.

Just watch the video Dave, the speed the tach is reporting on each bike is irrelevant, the Ninja is clearing pulling away and is almost out of sight by the end. As you claim to be a 'numbers guy', you'll notice that the Ninja pulling away at 90kph matches the respective figures of both bikes reported pretty much everywhere i.e. very small advantage to the CBR below 90 at which point the Ninja walks away.

My speed on the highway varies anywhere between 80-200kph depending on which bike I'm riding and the conditions. Most cars on the highway tend to be around the 120kph mark, so accelerating at around 120kph to 130/140 would be typical 'overtaking at highway speeds' in my opinion. Everything is relative and obviously neither bike is a rocket ship, but yes the Ninja would be quicker from 120-140 than the CBR and have a higher top speed. Maybe that isn't important to you, but we're hardly talking supersonic speeds here - anywhere outside the city this is a fairly normal pace to ride to keep up with (or be a bit ahead of) the flow of traffic, so having extra power in this range is extremely useful on anything other than a short city hop. In Honda speak, it's 'usable power for everyday riding'.

Unfortunately I am away from the green zone and only internet I have is the company's (which as you guessed does not allow youtube access). Give me a week or so and I'll be able to watch it.

The speed that the tach reports is extremely important. If you're on a bike and it's reporting more speed than actual you're going to think you have more power at that speed than you actually do.

I let my posts allow people to determine if I know my numbers or not. 8 months ago I repeated what I had said earlier; up to ~100 the CBR is quicker; after that and you're expecting it to be in too high of an RPM range with too tall of gearing. Note that is assuming real speeds and not speedo. I also stated that below that the Ninja would be knocked around which has also be proven true by others. What I was getting at was that at the speeds you clarified (120-140 real which would be 130-151 on a stock Ninja speedo and ?...? on a stock Honda) neither bike is what any would call safe for passing. On the other hand if you're talking an indicated 120 (110 real) than yes, the Ninja has plenty of power; but are people comparing that to a Honda who has what variance in its reading? If the Honda has less than 8%, it would quite understandably have less power because it is going faster.

I'm not saying the Honda has a perfect speedo, but it would be interesting to hear from owners who have checked it.

OK, I thought my point was clear but I'll try to clarify it further because in fairness you haven't seen the video. Two bikes start side by side, let's call them Bike A and Bike B. The first few seconds appears pretty even (we cannot see Bike A at this point as the camera which is mounted on Bike B is forward facing, so Bike A may be level or may be slightly behind). After these first few seconds, Bike A clearly accelerates away from Bike B. By the end of the race Bike A is way off in the distance, just visible in the camera that is mounted on Bike B.

Bike B could be showing 100kph while Bike A is showing 200kph. or vice versa. Maybe neither bike has a tach (don't panic Wantan, this is hypothetical). Either way, Bike A is still accelerating away from Bike B and travelling faster. So in a side by side race, the speed showing on the clock of either bike is not 'extremely important'. Maybe I'll wait until you see the video.