Induction Cooktops

Recently been reading about induction cooking but i'm confused to say the least. I mean the technology where the black glass top doesn't get hot, just the cooking pot and food gets hot.

A couple of product advertisments I found on the internet (not shops or suppliers based in Thailand) look to be the same as the many different brands of black glass cooktops you can see in Homepro and similar places.

I asked one of the Homepro salesman if any of the brands on display were 'induction technology'. His reply was 'never heard of it'.

Would appreciate some 'education' on this from any member experts, please. Also, do you need to have special cooking utensils?

Edited by scorecard

Let's move this over to the Real Estate, housing, house and land ownership forum.

But to do a quick reply, we have a Hafele induction cooktop. It was not cheap, but a very nice unit. It does require special pots and pans. Normal ones do not work. What I was not aware of is that the cooktop does get hot. Quite hot actually. I guess when the pan gets hot during cooking, the glass also heats up. Not like other "glass" cook tops, but hot for sure.

Not sure where you are, but we also had problems at the HomePro/HomeWorks type stores. The reps there are just not that knowledgeable regarding the products. So...we got all our stuff directly from the Hafele store in Pattaya. Got everything cheaper than anywhere else...even during their 20-25% off sales. Great service also. Our micro crapped out after about 4 months. They came out the next day with a brand new one.

//Moved//

"Are all the glass topped cooktops induction technology?"

Although some are, some of the glass/ceramic cooktops have regular electrical resistance heaters, or infrared lamps.

Edited by hhgz

• 3 weeks later...

All I wanted was a basic single electric range cooker. They did not have this inside tesco lotus or makro in Chumphon. All they had were either gas units, or electric INDUCTION units. Unfortunately I made the assumption that (although in the back of my mind, I was wondering if everything would work out....I kept reasoning "why would they sell only this to thai people? If they got rid of the old fashion range, it must be for a logical reason :huh:) That's what I get for making assumptions, right?

So now i'm in the market for an induction disk. I want to be able to use it with any pot I have.

Are their any homemade alternatives? all I need is a small metal plate or make-shift plate that can trick the induction element to stay on and I can use my pot and cook like the older style range cooker.

Either that, or I return this stupid thing, and search for a range at the local thai stores.

I got an induction hot plate a few months ago. Given that in most apartments you can't have gas, which is my preferred cooking method, the induction hot plate is heaps better than standard electric.

The best thing about induction is the ability to stop the hear. For standard electric, if you turn it down, it actually takes quite a few seconds for it to stop generating heat.

Yes, you need to get "the right" pots and pans, but it's worth it.

I got an induction hot plate a few months ago. Given that in most apartments you can't have gas, which is my preferred cooking method, the induction hot plate is heaps better than standard electric.

The best thing about induction is the ability to stop the hear. For standard electric, if you turn it down, it actually takes quite a few seconds for it to stop generating heat.

i need specifically a plate that forces the inductor unit to stay on. You can then use it with any pot you want.

i need specifically a plate that forces the inductor unit to stay on. You can then use it with any pot you want.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Induction_cooker

An induction cooker uses induction heating for cooking. Unlike other forms of cooking, heat is generated directly in the pot or pan (cooking vessel), as opposed to being generated in the stovetop by electrical coils or burning gas. To be used on an induction cooker, a cooking vessel must be made of a ferromagnetic metal.

In that case you need an electric or gas hot plate. Not induction.

http://en.wikipedia....nduction_cooker

An induction cooker uses induction heating for cooking. Unlike other forms of cooking, heat is generated directly in the pot or pan (cooking vessel), as opposed to being generated in the stovetop by electrical coils or burning gas. To be used on an induction cooker, a cooking vessel must be made of a ferromagnetic metal.

In that case you need an electric or gas hot plate. Not induction.

I looked all over in Tesco Lotus and Makro. All they had were induction units, electric "bowl" type cookers, or gas ranges. No electric plates or ranges. Maybe I was looking in the wrong section, but I doubt it. I just wanted something really simple that I could just plug in. So I grabbed the induction unit they had, figuring "should work ok". So now I'm either stuck with an induction unit, but not completely if I can get a metal disk for it that will "convert" the unit into a regular range-style unit. You may lose some of the induction benefits, but that's okay for me now.

I was unfamiliar with induction units and of course the thai salesperson was zero help. I want to salvage what i have until i can get an alternative, or if I rig the induction unit with the right metal disk, I might not have to.

Edited by 4evermaat

I looked all over in Tesco Lotus and Makro. All they had were induction units, electric "bowl" type cookers, or gas ranges. No electric plates or ranges. Maybe I was looking in the wrong section, but I doubt it. I just wanted something really simple that I could just plug in. So I grabbed the induction unit they had, figuring "should work ok". So now I'm either stuck with an induction unit, but not completely if I can get a metal disk for it that will "convert" the unit into a regular range-style unit. You may lose some of the induction benefits, but that's okay for me now.

I was unfamiliar with induction units and of course the thai salesperson was zero help. I want to salvage what i have until i can get an alternative, or if I rig the induction unit with the right metal disk, I might not have to.

I think it would be much safer to get the appropriate pots/pans. The labeling usually indicates whether it is suitable for induction. (basically, aluminium is not.)

I think it would be much safer to get the appropriate pots/pans. The labeling usually indicates whether it is suitable for induction. (basically, aluminium is not.)

I broke down, sucked it up, and decided to buy a induction-compatible frying pan. They had one NOT at Makro, NOT at Tesco Lotus and NOT at Carrefour where they sell ONLY the induction heating plate. (I searched almost everywhere for an old fashion single electric range--no one had one). Dont you love when a major chain sells a product (especially exclusively), but none of the compatible accessories?

A local Thai cookware shop had one 560 baht for the 24cm; the 28cm was 910 baht. It was about 100 meters from the Farang Bar in Chumphon.

I broke down, sucked it up, and decided to buy a induction-compatible frying pan. They had one NOT at Makro, NOT at Tesco Lotus and NOT at Carrefour where they sell ONLY the induction heating plate. (I searched almost everywhere for an old fashion single electric range--no one had one). Dont you love when a major chain sells a product (especially exclusively), but none of the compatible accessories?

A local Thai cookware shop had one 560 baht for the 24cm; the 28cm was 910 baht. It was about 100 meters from the Farang Bar in Chumphon.

Wow. I'm surprised ... (well, actually, not that surprised!).

I must admit, I haven't specifically looked in my local Carrefour, but Robinson have plenty of them.

Edited by whybother

Wow. I'm surprised ... (well, actually, not that surprised!).

I must admit, I haven't specifically looked in my local Carrefour, but Robinson have plenty of them.

The touristy area stores will most likely have what you need. The same store name but in a less busy place is less likely to have what you want.

But I see in a year or two Chumphon getting an iMobile shop and some other stuff. They already have Jay Mart in the Carrefour. A Homepro would be a welcome addition. But i was surprized st how much some of the local thai vendors are carrying (near the farang bar). You could get lucky at the local market also.