Great Service, Great Price

fiddlehead

After seeing all the complainers on here and the rip off stories, I had a very pleasant experience the other day with my motorbike mechanic.

My speedometer cable had broken so, he ordered me a new one.

I didn't ask but was hoping for original equipment.

When i took it in to have it installed, sure enough it was Honda original equipment.

He had to practically take the whole top front off the bike and I went to lunch.

I asked him to also check the oil as i didn't know when it was last changed because of the broken cable.

When I came back, he was oiling the chain, and adjusting it, along with the brakes, checking all lights and going over everything.

He said my oil did not need changing and when i asked him how much, he replied Song Loy Baht.

I said :"For everything?"

He said yes.

I asked how much the cable was and he said 170 baht.

So, it took him almost an hour to do everything and he was charging me only 30 baht for that hour?

Of course i tipped him and am thankful for such a good mechanic who doesn't rip people off.

So, not all Thai people are our to rip off the farangs.

There are a lot of good ones too.

Many of the rip-offs are from those involved in the tourist industry.

I have had experienced good service at a good price many times but haven't posted it and I should imagine many expats can say the same. Rip-offs are often, let's say, more interesting to discuss.

Best example for me was at the wood shop near the Green Man. I needed a 2 metre piece of wood of precise dimensions for a replacement bed slat. They found it, cut it and sanded it. I asked how much and they just said "mai penrai". I gave 100 baht tip for which they seemed very grateful.

The new(ish) rather flash auto centre next to Jung Ceylon (at the back). Flat tyre. They fixed the tyre, changed the wheel (I'd put a temp spare on), no charge! (I tipped B100 - didn't want to set their sights too high...)

The new(ish) rather flash auto centre next to Jung Ceylon (at the back). Flat tyre. They fixed the tyre, changed the wheel (I'd put a temp spare on), no charge! (I tipped B100 - didn't want to set their sights too high...)

Same as that. Flat tyre, pulled in to the nearest garage, spent 20 minutes sorting me out and didn't want a button. Result! always love a freebie laugh.gif, only joking, gave them a 100 baht.

This is what annoys me about TV. As you all know this site is HUGE, and so many people come to this site without a single clue as to what Phuket is like, and 9 times out of ten they leave with the wrong impression, because as somebody said, who bothers to share good news!

Perhaps this thread could be used for everyone to report any other good, positive experience on Phuket and with Thai people and businesses on Phuket. It wouldn't take long to be a very long thread, and help newbies see both sides of this island.

Same experience. Rolled in to check a slow leak. They checked, found nail, put in a plug. Very pleasant staff. No charge. I tipped 100 baht.

The best ive come accross is a guy named "tong" he is about 100m down the witchet road to rawaii from chalong circle on the left hand side. The first little yellow petrol pump is out the front of his shop. Absolutely no english spoken at the place but he is great...never a rip off

Yes. I'd like to know where the OP's mechanic is.

I also have had great experiences from bike mechanics.

Wonder why it is? Is it just the way it is, or is it a genuine 'loss leader' where they give you good, cheap or free service in the hope you'll come back?

I think it's the former. I've been to tin-shacks by the side of the road where they have wanted very little or even no money for sorting my bike out.

I love it !

Certainly in the UK you'd be lucky to be spending less than 50 pounds an hour on service, and bike parts are hugely inflated too.

I love the simplicity and cheapness of my Wave.

I ususally use Honda main dealership in Chalong, but have also used road-side mechanics. Both are amazingly cheap !

That's good, just wanted to say the same thing. My wife took her bike to get the oil changed, fix the loose hand grip (from when I wrecked it, im not allow to use her bike anymore) and a few other things. She bought the oil, the bolts for the license plate and sis the same went to lunch, came back all done the guy charged her 20 baht, she is pretty cheap charlie and she was even amazed. usually she goes to Yamaha to get things done, dont think she will be going to Yamaha anymore. she gave the guy 40B. it's nice when thigns go well.

One time I was driving back from the airport and right at that intersection with the traffic light in Chern talay my accelerator cable broke and I pulled over right in front of a bank. A security guard comes out , opens the hood, then improvises a fix to get me on the road 45 minutes later in a hot blazing sun. There still are plenty of good people around, but unfortunately the good stories don't get publicized as much as the negative stories.

I ran out of petrol near the airport. I was driving my son's rot kabong at the time. Walked back to the petrol station that hadn't had the octane petrol I needed. So I had to buy some gasohol anyway. The girl found a plastic water bottle, a pair of scissors and fashioned a funnel to make pouring soooo easy. What a treasure she is!

It was, by the way, one of those adventures. Took me 2 ages to get to the airport from Chalong. I got it wrong from the start by going up Chao Fa Rd East. Now Smartmouth, quick as a flash answers the query 'How far is it to the airport?' with 'Forty minutes, unless you go with Mum. Then it's 2 and a half hours.'

I had some work done on the car at new place near the jungcelon first class service so that's the place for me for car work and it's good to hear about other places for other jobs. Perhaps we should have a page on the forum Recommend Tradesmen?

Same experience. Rolled in to check a slow leak. They checked, found nail, put in a plug. Very pleasant staff. No charge. I tipped 100 baht.

Same experience today. First class service. 10 points.