Cm Members With Permanent Resident Status

scorecard

I need soon to get my police red book 'personal file' transferred to CM from Bangalumg, Chonburi. The staff at Banglamung say they don't know what police station I should go to in CM.

Can some CM members with PR please share the name of the CM police station where they are registered.

Thanks.

Edited by scorecard

Fist you must register the place of residence in Thailand at the local Amphur Office and obtain a house card. After receipt of the residence certificate you then apply for an alien book (red book) at the local police station of the Amphur you are going to be living in. You must re-register there every year, and the fee is 200 Baht.

Fist you must register the place of residence in Thailand at the local Amphur Office and obtain a house card. After receipt of the residence certificate you then apply for an alien book (red book) at the local police station of the Amphur you are going to be living in. You must re-register there every year, and the fee is 200 Baht.

Thanks BarnicaleBob.

I got the initial red police book (14 years ago) at the large police station at Banglamung (just outside of Pattaya), and I know that they have quite a thick file with copies of every document concerned, copies of all the three yearly then five yearly 'renewals', etc.

When I first got PR I went to the Pattaya central police station to get 'registered' / to get issued with the red book howwever they told me it's only done at major police centres and directed me to the Banglamung police station / police centre.

So I'm guessing that there is probably one larger police station in CM which handles this.

Would appreciate if you would comment further, and thanks again.

I have a yellow book house registration, done at the Amphur's Office. So, what is the difference between the "red" book from police offices and the yellow book? Anyone know? WIth the yellow book, you can register a car or motorbike and also do not have to go back once a year.

I have a yellow book house registration, done at the Amphur's Office. So, what is the difference between the "red" book from police offices and the yellow book? Anyone know? WIth the yellow book, you can register a car or motorbike and also do not have to go back once a year.

Both can wave their book when saving 15 Baht on a tourist admission fee, but the person with permanent residency (red book) can wave to the guy with the yellow book and go......"nah nah nah nah nah nah....look what I've got".

do not have to back once a year??:blink:

Just to confuse you even more, when you have your 'red' book you graduate from a 'yellow' book to the full 'blue' book B)

Edit: No comment huh.gif

Edited by uptheos

Presumably no need to renew a visa as you have PR.

But surprisingly you still need a re-entry visa if you leave the country.

And gotlost you too can have one if you speak, read and write Thai to level 6 and have 190,000 baht to part with......a great bargain. huh.gif

Edit: OK GL I see what you mean, with a YB you don't need to go anywhere once a year.

OK I also have a yellow house book but I,m on retirement. What is a red house book?

Presumably no need to renew a visa as you have PR.

But surprisingly you still need a re-entry visa if you leave the country.

And gotlost you too can have one if you speak, read and write Thai to level 6 and have 190,000 baht to part with......a great bargain. huh.gif

Edit: OK GL I see what you mean, with a YB you don't need to go anywhere once a year.

OK I also have a yellow house book but I,m on retirement. What is a red house book?

It's NOT a house book, it's a Permanent Residency Book.

Anyone like you, me can get a yellow house book, but the PR (red book) requires a lot of things, not least of all it cost 190,000 Baht!

Edited by uptheos

In post #2, from B-Bob, he mentioned having to register every year at the police station, that's what I was referring to.

Really, what advantage do you have having Permanent Residency? Paying 190,000 baht for what?

Same reason people like red number plates I guess.

OK as I see it the redbook is to show PR but you still can have a yellow house book ??

I think you can have your name on the blue house book.

Just go for one of each colour, show them all at the national park and still pay tourist price.biggrin.gif

Edited by uptheos

Lets try it this way. This is the post I'm questioning the statement of (and also do not have to back once a year). My understand the red PR book is also excepted as the OP house book, just as my yellow book is But the yellow book does not exempt me from reporting every 90days where the red PR does.

Lets try it this way. This is the post I'm questioning the statement of (and also do not have to back once a year). My understand the red PR book is also excepted as the OP house book, just as my yellow book is But the yellow book does not exempt me from reporting every 90days where the red PR does.

Look at this and stop worrying.....just carry on as before.wink.gif

http://www.siam-legal.com/Foreign-Citizens/thailand-permanent-residence2.php

Just to complicate things:

The Certificate of Residence is light blue for the first issue. After renewal (when full of stamps), the new one is white.

The Alien Book is always dark red and can be renewed for one or five year periods depending on your preference.

A person with PR can appear on a dark blue house registration book as the head of the household or a resident therein, the same as a Thai.

A person with PR has no reporting requirements unless leaving the country. A multiple re-entry with a validity of one year can be issued, or for one trip as preferred (different pricing). The TM card is left in your passport while out of the country and recovered on return.

For the OP, I think you would have to go to the police station wherever you did your last registration. Failing that, the Amphur Muang station would be a good place to start.

The Certificate of Residence is light blue for the first issue. After renewal (when full of stamps), the new one is white.

The Alien Book is always dark red and can be renewed for one or five year periods depending on your preference.

A person with PR can appear on a dark blue house registration book as the head of the household or a resident therein, the same as a Thai.

A person with PR has no reporting requirements unless leaving the country. A multiple re-entry with a validity of one year can be issued, or for one trip as preferred (different pricing). The TM card is left in your passport while out of the country and recovered on return.

For the OP, I think you would have to go to the police station wherever you did your last registration. Failing that, the Amphur Muang station would be a good place to start.

Just curious. What if a PR leaves without a re-entry permit, what are the consequences?

Surely PR isn't invalidated....is it?

Just curious. What if a PR leaves without a re-entry permit, what are the consequences?

Back to square one.:lol:

They would have to leave the country illegally (without passing through Immigration) so presumably would return the same way.

PR is also automatically cancelled if the holder is out of the country for a period over 12 months.

They would have to leave the country illegally (without passing through Immigration) so presumably would return the same way.

PR is also automatically cancelled if the holder is out of the country for a period over 12 months.

.....and all for only a total of 200,000 baht!

Do not forget the loss of face and bragging rights.:lol:

Do not forget the loss of face and bragging rights.:lol:

thumbsup.gif

It is. PR to Visa On Arrival, that's a rough one.

Guess it's time for some clarity, here's my attempt:

- PR (Permanent Residence) is now very expensive and many folks would say it's not worth it, but that's all a matter of your own opinion.

- I got PR some 14 years ago, when costs where about 80% less than today, and the Thai language tests were a lot less serious compared to today.

- There are basically two ways you can lose PR: 1) Phyically out of Thailand in one block period of 366 days or more and it's gone. Up to 365 days out and your OK. There is no appeal process, but who knows? 2). Get a criminal record, in any country, and it's automatically cancelled, no appeal process, no point in applying ever again.

- If holder leaves Thailand without a re-entry stamp, then in theory the immigration officer should make the holder aware that he/she is getting into complications which will be complex to sort out. But this also depends on whether the holder reveals that he/she holds a PR book, which is about the same size as a passport but it's not a passport, but when holder leaves / arrives in Thailand it's stamped with same visa stamps as entered in your main passport.

Change of subject for a moment: PR holders have to report to Thai immigration once a year to get a yearly update stamp in their main passport to indicate they hold Thai PR and most folks get a multiple entry exit/re-entry stamp inserted at the same (single / muliple obviously 'up to you'). The yearly stamp in the passport is not subject to reprocess, just an automatic stamp.

Back to re-entry permit stuff: If holder leaves without revealing the PR book it's therefore obviously not stamped with in/out visas. Then later when the PR holder goes to Immigration for the yearly stamp in his/her passport they often check that the equivalent no. of stamps have been recorded in both the passport and the PR book. And if there is a discrepancy there is the possibility that they will insist that the PR book be updated with extra stamps with a fine and this now possibly highlights that the holder left / returned without an exit/re-entry permit, again the possibility of much paperwork and a fine. So not a good idea.

The first time I went to the airport to leave Thailand, after getting the PR book, one of the immigration officers roaming around the lines of passengers waiting for exit stamp noticed my PR book, and I was in the 'foreign passport' line. He took me to a Thai line and said 'always please use the Thai line, becaue many of the immigration officers on the 'foeigners' lines are not familiar with PR books and not familiar with the process requirements etc.

On receiving your letter that PR has been approved you go first to a Thai immigration office (some years back only one place in Thailand at Soi Suan Phlu in Bkk, but not sure today and of course Soi Suan Phlu office relocated). At this office you are issued with your actual PR book, on the front cover it says in Thai and English 'Certificate of Residency').

Then the holder must report to the police to get issued with another book - a registration with the police (the red police book) to record that the person is actually residing in that police precinct and showing the exact address.

The police red book must initially be restamped every one year, but after a few years the police indicate that it can then be stamped every 5 years. It's not an application, just an automatic update stamp.

The police red book is not a Tabien Baan (household registration ) book, which is another quite different book and handled by a different government agency.

- Tabien Baan yellow book. Household registration book mostly used for condos when condo owner is not Thai and does not have PR.

- Tabien Baan blue book. The standard house hold registration book issued to Thai citizens / families, and PR holders are also recorded in the blue book. If PR holder is the owner of the condo, and lives alone, then the blue book is still used.

Tabien Bann books are issued / updated at a district or amphur office and are not linked to the police red book.

Hope this helps.

Now back to my original question, does anybody know if there is a specific police station in CM which handles the police red book?

- PR (Permanent Residence) is now very expensive and many folks would say it's not worth it, but that's all a matter of your own opinion.

- I got PR some 14 years ago, when costs where about 80% less than today, and the Thai language tests were a lot less serious compared to today.

- There are basically two ways you can lose PR: 1) Phyically out of Thailand in one block period of 366 days or more and it's gone. Up to 365 days out and your OK. There is no appeal process, but who knows? 2). Get a criminal record, in any country, and it's automatically cancelled, no appeal process, no point in applying ever again.

- If holder leaves Thailand without a re-entry stamp, then in theory the immigration officer should make the holder aware that he/she is getting into complications which will be complex to sort out. But this also depends on whether the holder reveals that he/she holds a PR book, which is about the same size as a passport but it's not a passport, but when holder leaves / arrives in Thailand it's stamped with same visa stamps as entered in your main passport.

Change of subject for a moment: PR holders have to report to Thai immigration once a year to get a yearly update stamp in their main passport to indicate they hold Thai PR and most folks get a multiple entry exit/re-entry stamp inserted at the same (single / muliple obviously 'up to you'). The yearly stamp in the passport is not subject to reprocess, just an automatic stamp.

Back to re-entry permit stuff: If holder leaves without revealing the PR book it's therefore obviously not stamped with in/out visas. Then later when the PR holder goes to Immigration for the yearly stamp in his/her passport they often check that the equivalent no. of stamps have been recorded in both the passport and the PR book. And if there is a discrepancy there is the possibility that they will insist that the PR book be updated with extra stamps with a fine and this now possibly highlights that the holder left / returned without an exit/re-entry permit, again the possibility of much paperwork and a fine. So not a good idea.

The first time I went to the airport to leave Thailand, after getting the PR book, one of the immigration officers roaming around the lines of passengers waiting for exit stamp noticed my PR book, and I was in the 'foreign passport' line. He took me to a Thai line and said 'always please use the Thai line, becaue many of the immigration officers on the 'foeigners' lines are not familiar with PR books and not familiar with the process requirements etc.

On receiving your letter that PR has been approved you go first to a Thai immigration office (some years back only one place in Thailand at Soi Suan Phlu in Bkk, but not sure today and of course Soi Suan Phlu office relocated). At this office you are issued with your actual PR book, on the front cover it says in Thai and English 'Certificate of Residency').

Then the holder must report to the police to get issued with another book - a registration with the police (the red police book) to record that the person is actually residing in that police precinct and showing the exact address.

The police red book must initially be restamped every one year, but after a few years the police indicate that it can then be stamped every 5 years. It's not an application, just an automatic update stamp.

The police red book is not a Tabien Baan (household registration ) book, which is another quite different book and handled by a different government agency.

- Tabien Baan yellow book. Household registration book mostly used for condos when condo owner is not Thai and does not have PR.

- Tabien Baan blue book. The standard house hold registration book issued to Thai citizens / families, and PR holders are also recorded in the blue book. If PR holder is the owner of the condo, and lives alone, then the blue book is still used.

Tabien Bann books are issued / updated at a district or amphur office and are not linked to the police red book.

Hope this helps.

Now back to my original question, does anybody know if there is a specific police station in CM which handles the police red book?

Thank you scorecard for excellent explanation and I hope someone can answer your question.:jap:

Hope this helps.

Thank you scorecard for excellent explanation and I hope someone can answer your question.:jap:

Yes indeed an excellent explanation.

But reading it I ask myself why would anyone want a red book for 200,000 Baht +++ ??

Hope this helps.

But reading it I ask myself why would anyone want a red book for 200,000 Baht +++ ??

And why would anyone need this expensive red book anyway???

Hope this helps.

And why would anyone need this expensive red book anyway???

Let's put it this way; the primary book is the actual PR book. When this is issued at thai immigration that's where you pay the approx 200,000Baht fee (Luckily I did so long back it was about 20,000 If I recall correctly) (as already mentioned by another poster, the PR book on initial issue is dark blue, then if has to be replaced because it's full it's then a white covered book).

Then you must get a red police book, perhaps you could call this the secondary documentation. It's compulsory and it costs 200Baht.

So, why would anybody want PR, at a cost of 200,000Baht plus the initial application fee, plus ''processing'' fees etc? How long is a piece of string?

When I applied for PR the so called 'one year retirement visa' didn't exist. I wanted to have some feeling of security that I would not be separated from my Thai family. At the time PR was the best option for me and luckily my employer paid for it. As mentioned earlier it was much cheaper and from memory, when I got it, about 20,000Baht.

I have a number of friends / acquaintences who now get the 'one year retirement visa' every year and some of them seem to be a bit panicky about whether it will be renewed. Whether need to be 'panicky' I don't really know.

Today, I guess, for PR the costs are pretty high compared to the benefits, ultimately a personal choice.