Irish ruling party elects new leader

News_Editor

Irish ruling party elects new leader

2011-01-27 01:57:32 GMT+7 (ICT)

DUBLIN, IRELAND (BNO NEWS) -- Fianna Fail, Ireland's ruling party, on Wednesday announced the election of Micheál Martin as its new leader following the resignation of Prime Minister Brian Cowen.

Martin will be the eighth leader of Fianna Fail as Ireland is enduring a severe financial crisis. Martin, 50, is the former Irish Foreign Minister and launched a failed leadership challenge against Cowen last week.

Nevertheless, the Irish Premier decided to step down as leader of the long ruling party after determining that it became clear that internal criticism of his leadership was deflecting the party from uniting to contest the election on March 11th.

"I want to offer my best wishes to Micheál today on his election as leader of Fianna Fail," Cowen said. "He has my full support in his new role and I wish him the very best in the immediate task of leading the party into the election."

On the other hand, Martin praised the way in which the election took place. He remarked that each candidate promoted a positive message regarding the role of our party and the future of our country.

"This leadership election was conducted in a very different way to many political contests. The biggest motivation for me in seeking the leadership of the party is that I believe the tradition it represents has a unique and positive role to play in our country’s future," the new Fianna Fail leader said.

Finance Minister Brian Lenihan, Cowen's main critic, labeled Martin as a 'highly experienced and capable politician' while remarking his full support towards the new party leader.

"We must now concentrate on the forthcoming election. Fianna Fail will now unite behind the new leader and bring our case to the people," Minister Lenihan added.

"Fianna Fáil has always been bigger than its leaders. The organization is made up of ordinary people who work in their communities and take nothing from politics except a sense of making a contribution. I am proud to have been elected to serve as their leader," Martin concluded.

Ireland suffered a severe economic crisis that resulted in a multi-billion bailout from the European Union (EU) and the International Monetary Fund (IMF). PM Cowen was blamed for the criss and successfully underwent a confidence vote in 2010.

Fianna Fail MPs dominate the Irish coalition government. The party has been at the helm of Ireland for 53 years of its 84-year history.

tvn.png

-- © BNO News All rights reserved 2011-01-27