Is Sushi A Thai Invention?

surayu

Has anybody else being watching that thai "scoop" yesterday, subtitled in english, where a thai man living in Japan for 20 years(?) claimed that sushi was firstly invented in Thailand?

Out of curiosity today i Googled a bit around, but at their closest reference to Thailand, website where just indicating somewhere in "south east asia"....where others claimed instead it was firstly developed in China.......what are your thoughts about it? i made up my own conclusion which for the time being i will just keep to myself, but i'd like to knows other well informed opinion as my "feelings" about it might well being proved wrong :D

Good news then, we can call ourselves the hub of sushi. Better yet I think we should patent it quickly before japan does, it will help our cause in the UN when we ask for sanctions and so on.

To further stake our claim, TAT should declare next year as visit "Amazing Sushiland". We can even roll out some new homemade varieties:

Pla raa rolls: once you get past the smell, it tastes awful

Sakon cones; they have real bite

Phuket pockets: mystery seafood wrapped in seaweed from klong toey

Do the Thai's also claim to have invented the food poisoning that usually goes with sushi?

Ummm...sushi is one of the dishes I am sure to never have been food poisoned by. What is your source for this allegation?

Do the Thai's also claim to have invented the food poisoning that usually goes with sushi?

Ummm...sushi is one of the dishes I am sure to never have been food poisoned by. What is your source for this allegation?

I once had sushi in Bang Saen.

I will spare you the details of what happened the next 3 days.

http://en.wikipedia....istory_of_sushi

Looks like by sushi they're referring to a method of preserving fish with fermented rice, which was developed in SEA 2000 years ago.

Fish sauce and fish preservation methods have been around since the first cavemen learned how to fish. Inuits have had methods of preserving fish for tens of thousands of years.

Sushi as a cuisine is also entirely different from what they are talking about there.

others claimed instead it was firstly developed in China.......what are your thoughts about it? i made up my own conclusion which for the time being i will just keep to myself...

my thoughts are "can't wait till you reveal your conclusion. please don't torture us much longer!" :ph34r:

everything is a thai invention. cars were invented in thai land, come to think of it - the wheel was invented in thailand. the pocket watch (for all those thai time keepers), water was invented here along with glasses to drink it out of and plastic bags in which to sell it.

rain was invented by someone special, potatoes are native to this country, it was some pesky european that told us they came from american soil.

can anyone list anything that was NOT invented in thailand?

Source of information is the raids by Australian health patrols on numerous sushi factories in OZ, where you would hope that the hygiene might be a little better than the average Thai factory after numerous reports of food poising

It seems to me that if Thailand invented Sushi, we would see it eaten more in the daily diets of Thais. The "seaweed" often referred to as laver certainly is not indigenous to Thailand as I have yet to see a package of it made in Thailand. Having never been to China, only Taiwan, I don't believe Sushi is very prevalent there. Since Japan occupied much of South East Asia before and during WW2, I suspect their presence may have had the effect of establishing some knowledge and practice of eating Sushi with the native population of countries they occupied.

'TAWP' timestamp='1297044965' post='4201834''mystwoodcol' timestamp='1297044825' post='4201831']

Sushi is made with raw fish , many fish carry bacteria , many Japanese eat sushi , equals , many Japanese suffer the consequesences , this malady can be prevented by freezing the fish at temperatures below 4 degrees for 24 hours , the Japanese refuse to do this as it would then not be authentic sushi , other countries are not so concerned , they prefer customers who return for more of the delicasies .

This is NOT an allegation , this is a well know fact that you somehow overlooked in your extensive searches on the web to prove posters incorrect , please may I humbly suggest you let your fingers do more walking , you may even manage to become more enlightened and even more PC .

everything is a thai invention. cars were invented in thai land, come to think of it - the wheel was invented in thailand. the pocket watch (for all those thai time keepers), water was invented here along with glasses to drink it out of and plastic bags in which to sell it.

rain was invented by someone special, potatoes are native to this country, it was some pesky european that told us they came from american soil.

can anyone list anything that was NOT invented in thailand?

The almost same same thought had occured to me.

Ask any Thai and they'll categorically comfirm that it was invented here.

Sushi is made with raw fish , many fish carry bacteria , many Japanese eat sushi , equals , many Japanese suffer the consequesences , this malady can be prevented by freezing the fish at temperatures below 4 degrees for 24 hours , the Japanese refuse to do this as it would then not be authentic sushi , other countries are not so concerned , they prefer customers who return for more of the delicasies .

This is NOT an allegation , this is a well know fact that you somehow overlooked in your extensive searches on the web to prove posters incorrect , please may I humbly suggest you let your fingers do more walking , you may even manage to become more enlightened and even more PC .

Research online? Are you on drugs? I clearly said it is one of the dishes *I* have never been food poisoned by...so the posters assertion that food poisoning somehow is very common in regards to sushi doesn't sound right.

So , from a huge panel of one , you decided the poster was making an allegation when it is a quite well know fact that thousands of Japanese suffer from food poisening from one of thier most favourite dishes , you could have asked him in a more pleasant manner than an arogant "allegation "

So , from a huge panel of one , you decided the poster was making an allegation when it is a quite well know fact that thousands of Japanese suffer from food poisening from one of thier most favourite dishes , you could have asked him in a more pleasant manner than an arogant "allegation "

Maybe you need to put less chili in your food so your stomach becomes less upset. Might make you have a better mood.

It seems to me that if Thailand invented Sushi, we would see it eaten more in the daily diets of Thais. The "seaweed" often referred to as laver certainly is not indigenous to Thailand as I have yet to see a package of it made in Thailand. Having never been to China, only Taiwan, I don't believe Sushi is very prevalent there. Since Japan occupied much of South East Asia before and during WW2, I suspect their presence may have had the effect of establishing some knowledge and practice of eating Sushi with the native population of countries they occupied.

I'm with you here, other than in some Food courts or specialty shops, you don't see sushi in Thailand. If it was a thai invention we'd see sushi food carts roaming the streets, and it would be then that sushi would make you sick!

Thank God it WASN'T a Thai invention! :lol:

I am positive that i read somewhere tha Sushi is very susceptable to Samonella bacteria and is one of the more dangerous foods for infection, i think it is something to do with the rice.