Print Media Shortcoming

Gonzo the Face

What seems to be the problem with the local and/or All Thai Media?

There is never any completion on any of the stories of interest.

What ever was the outcome on the N Z Girl who supposedly died of food poisoning in CM

What ever was the final verdict on the 2 or 3 mysterious deaths last year on Koh Phi Phi.

Now what about ANY report on the strange and mysterious deaths of the British couple here in CM 3 or 4 days ago..... not even a local blurb or report

Must keep the total crap under the rug...... bad for tourism

Enquiring minds want to know

G

Gonzo: How would the Thai media know? They are not clairvoyant, nor will they send a reporter to New Zealand to go find out.

If even the New Zealand media don't have final conclusion, why would the Thai media go out and put a team of people on it for a single, tragic death?

If you care, which is great, type 2 words into Google News:

http://news.google.co.th/news/more?q=sarah+carter&hl=en&safe=off&client=firefox-a&hs=qIk&rls=org.mozilla:en-GB:official&prmd=ivnso&um=1&ie=UTF-8&ncl=dIhgLL2aBLKRjEMlNbe5m1KgnOlCM&ei=5WtkTamDC8OJrAeJoe2lAg&sa=X&oi=news_result&ct=more-results&resnum=1&ved=0CC0QqgIwAA

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai

Gonzo: How would the Thai media know? They are not clairvoyant, nor will they send a reporter to New Zealand to go find out.

If even the New Zealand media don't have final conclusion, why would the Thai media go out and put a team of people on it for a single, tragic death?

If you care, which is great, type 2 words into Google News:

http://news.google.c...ved=0CC0QqgIwAA

Good points about the Thai media...

Yes of course....

Heaven forbid that they have to go through the massive expense of finding a reporter who even knows what a question is and then all the baht to get all the way to CM Ram to follow up, or in the case of the 2 Brits who just unexplainedly died all the way up towhat looks like the 4 Seasons [ by the photo}

Can't have that now can we.....

Or even so;mething as difficult as the English Language ,supposed news paper even having a small blurb on the classified page , or whereever they post the misspellings these days

Heaven forbid that they have to go through the massive expense of finding a reporter who even knows what a question is and then all the baht to get all the way to CM Ram to follow up

* Note that the post-mortem as well as tests on the others in her group were / are being carried out in New Zealand. Chiang Mai Ram does not know anything other than what they have already reported. There is some chance they cocked up too by the way, so ultimately it's best to go with the results from New Zealand. Which are not available yet.

* Making those results available will be up to the parents. Typically loved ones tend to want to make this public so that improvements can be made, so that a death was not in vain. However there is also a possibility that the test results will show something that the parents do not want to make public, in which case we'll never hear about it.

Or even so;mething as difficult as the English Language ,supposed news paper even having a small blurb on the classified page , or whereever they post the misspellings these days

Oh don't get me wrong, I'm not a fan of Thai newspapers. In fact they should come with a warning on the front page stating "Everything you see printed before you is wrong." I think they range from 'crap' through 'highly biased' to 'utter trash'. However, I don't expect them to put a team of investigating journalists on every random death just because it involves a pretty white face. That would not be reasonable in a country where people die all over the place for all kinds of preventable reasons.

I do agree with most of what you say, but still point out that other than the 2 instances of which we discussed, there is no follow up on any stories past the first couple of days. Its just not in the nature of the beast.

An example would be with the national funny paper. Not the one we cannot mention here, but the one we could nemtion here. Check the on line edition and see the bar about breaking stories ...... some of them are over a month old.

In essence what I am saying is that not only with the media but most things in general that should show professionalism don't carry 10 % of the professionalism they should.... rather show just image.

OMHO

In my own experience I beleive Thai media dont do 'investigative' reporting. Its all about gossip, and sensationalism to sell papers, even then the reporting quality is poor to doubtful.

Mind you in respect of 'follow up' reporting most all media do notdo such follow up. Once the original senational story is written, its forgotton about because they are onto something else to help themsell papers or advertsing.

Well to give credit , where credit is due....at least there was a little follow up...

I see now reported as Downtowner Inn [one of the links from TV] and that it wasn't a case of violence.

She was found dead on the bed and he sitting on the floor and leaning/falling forward to the bed.

Can anyone verify the statement that was made, that the N Z girl who died and the 2 girls with her had eaten the seaweed supposedly causing the problem , at a food stall in the Night Maket? I didn't see that report , but I was told that it was published.

This would sound like a big coincidence if another 2 fatalities in the same general area.

Strange that 2 people would just up and drop dead in the same room at the same night.

G

Edited by Gonzo the Face