Fixed Deposit Accounts In Nzd, Opportunity ?

I plan to open 1 or 2 foreign currency fixed deposit accounts in Singapore.

Starting to look around, I was very surprised by the rate with New Zealand dollar. More than 6 % !

This is actually a strange country... To keep inflation between 1 and 3 %, the Central bank has such a rate...

And of course the currency has gained against Euro.

So why not buy NZD from EUR, and open a fixed deposit, let's say for 6 months ? And enjoy a good return. There is little risk that the Central bank would cut its rate with an axe, and that the currency would crash in such a little period of time.

What do you think ?

6.6% is available for 30 day Term Deposits, which seems more sensible than committing to 12 months. A lot can happen to a currency in 12 months and a return of even 10% achieved on CD will look pretty sick if (or rather when) the NZ$ returns to its historic level. Dealers use the NZ dollar as a safe haven, and they have more invested in NZ than the NZ gov have in reserves, so beware.

Good luck. Rick

6.6% is available for 30 day Term Deposits, which seems more sensible than committing to 12 months. A lot can happen to a currency in 12 months and a return of even 10% achieved on CD will look pretty sick if (or rather when) the NZ$ returns to its historic level. Dealers use the NZ dollar as a safe haven, and they have more invested in NZ than the NZ gov have in reserves, so beware.

Good luck. Rick

I think that's 6.6% annual percentage yield, not for the month.