Need Advice

My situation is a bit more complicated than most visitors, so I'm hoping someone can advise me on the best course of action I should take before coming to Phuket.

I'm an American living in St Petersburg Russia. I am planning on spending 2-3 months in Phuket.

It's my understanding that as an American, I don't need a visa, but my entry stamp only allows me to stay 30 days, after which I need to make a visa run every 15 days.

This sounds like a huge hassle. The Thai embassy site mentions there is a consulate in St Petersburg, but there is no info regarding visas on the site, so I'm not sure I can apply for a visa that will allow me to stay longer than 30 days via the consulate.

Can anyone advise me on what my best alternatives might be?

Best regards,

Don

If you are staying more than 30 days you need a Tourist Visa.

Without it or a ticket leaving the Country within 30 days you may not be allowed on the flight.

Tourist Visas are free until 31st March.

Give them a ring and ask about Visa applications.

Royal Thai Honorary Consulate General in St. Petersburg

Russia, 199053 St. Petersburg, V.O. 9 Bolshoy Prospect

Tel: +7 (812) 325-62-71, 323-25-38

Fax: +7 (812) 325-63-13

Honorary Consul-General: Mr. Yuri Valentinovich Kovalchuk

Good advise and that should work, but there are some Thai embassies that are not interested in serving nationalities other than Thais and the nationals of the country of the embassy. Just saying that as a general thing; it doesn't mean they won't serve you there. Oh, another thing, confirm with them how they want to be paid. In some countries, they want to be paid in US dollars (the international reserve currency for at least the next few months ...).

Edited by Jingthing

I would just fly in and get your 30 day entry stamp...then a few days before expiry, head on down to Penang (by van or air) and get a tourist visa and return for another 60 days. These will give you the 2-3 months you want.

Of course, The Thai embassy in Moscow and the Peterberg's consulate should be able to issue you a tourist visa, which also gives you the time your require.

Edited by FarangBuddha

Sounds like a reasonable plan, but make sure you have a high degree of confidence in the authority of the answer you get. That's because it is usual for people NOT to be allowed to board flights to Thailand if they lack a visa or a flight out of Thailand leaving within 30 days. If they do say yes, you probably should book your flight to Penang (Thai consulate) anyway which will leave before 30 days in Thailand, so if there is any problem on boarding, that would strengthen your case. You could also choose to visit Kuala Lumpur instead if you like big cities, as that's where the Thai embassy Malaysia is located. Also note these kinds of problems are for boarding flights to Thailand, not at Thai entry point at BKK because the immigration officers there rarely check for flights out.

Edited by Jingthing

Sounds like a reasonable plan, but make sure you have a high degree of confidence in the authority of the answer you get. That's because it is usual for people NOT to be allowed to board flights to Thailand if they lack a visa or a flight out of Thailand leaving within 30 days. If they do say yes, you probably should book your flight to Penang (Thai consulate) anyway which will leave before 30 days in Thailand, so if there is any problem on boarding, that would strengthen your case. You could also choose to visit Kuala Lumpur instead if you like big cities, as that's where the Thai embassy Malaysia is located. Also note these kinds of problems are for boarding flights to Thailand, not at Thai entry point at BKK because the immigration officers there rarely check for flights out.

I haven't arranged for travel yet, but I spent a few months in Goa India a couple of years ago. The cheapest flight arrangement in that instance was to book a charter through the travel agency with a return flight a week or two later. I didn't use the return flight and made arrangements to return to Russia a few months later. I'm guessing it will be the same this round. I found a Russian tour to Phuket for $550, which includes a round trip ticket and hotel stay for a few days. Alternatively, I checked direct flights and was quoted over $1000 one way.

IOW, boarding the flight shouldn't be an issue if I understand you correctly.

Good advise and that should work, but there are some Thai embassies that are not interested in serving nationalities other than Thais and the nationals of the country of the embassy. Just saying that as a general thing; it doesn't mean they won't serve you there. Oh, another thing, confirm with them how they want to be paid. In some countries, they want to be paid in US dollars (the international reserve currency for at least the next few months ...).

People seem to get 'embassies" and Thai consulates mixed up. The one in St. Petersburg that Lite Beer mentned is a Thai Consulate. Thai consulates do NOT just mostly service Thai's. lol They service anyone who has dealings with Thailand.

No need to make things complicated for the OP with 30 day entry visas, flying to Penang etc. Just follow what Lite Beer said and get your 60 day Tourist visa at "NO CHARGE' then have it extended after 60 days like he also said here in Thailand. Easy mate.

I agree if you've got a return ticket leaving within 30 days there is no reason there would any problem in boarding a Thailand bound flight from Russia without a visa.

Sorry I got that detail wrong, that SP is a consulate, not an embassy. However, unless someone knows the specific policies of every Thai consulate in every country in the world (is there really anyone posting here who does?!), I don't think you can make such a blanket generalization about Thai consulates. In any case, I thought I made it very clear that SP probably would grant a tourist visa to an American.

Cheers.

Edited by Jingthing

Just get a Tourist Visa good for 60 days in Thailand from the Russian Consulate there. At the end of the 60 days, get a 30 days visa extension locally at a Thai immigration office within Thailand.

Should your plans change or if you want to stay longer than the 90 days allowed on a Single Entry Tourist Visa, Consider a Double Entry Tourist Visa, which could be good up to a total of 180 days including the two 30 days extension allowed with that type visa.

Or at the end of your 90 days if you need to stay a little longer then you can cross a Thai border to Cambodia, Malaysia, Laos, of Mynmar. Crossing by land into Thailand only gives you 14 days, and 30 days if you arrive by air after your tourist visa has expired.

Being an American or any other nationality is not an issue when dealing with Embassies and Consulates anywhere in the world. They are used to dealing with people living and working abroad throughout the world.

Keep it Simple, it is easy to get your visa. :D

Edited by TacoBoy

• 2 weeks later...

I would just fly in and get your 30 day entry stamp...then a few days before expiry, head on down to Penang (by van or air) and get a tourist visa and return for another 60 days. These will give you the 2-3 months you want.

Of course, The Thai embassy in Moscow and the Peterberg's consulate should be able to issue you a tourist visa, which also gives you the time your require.

I'm wondering if anyone can comment further on FarangBuddha's post. I have contacted the consulate in Petersburg and they cannot give me a visa as I am currently registered in Moscow, 500 kilometers or so away (long story).

In any case, it would be far more convenient for me to just fly to Thailand as FB suggested, then apply for a visa in Penang after arriving there. Would I run into any issues applying for a 30 or 60 day visa in Penang?

Thank you for all your help. You guys are all great.

If you would have known, how I understand you. It's real in SPb-Thai-office they require the registration in SPb. It's problem for all people in Russian. According the constitution of Russian, any citizen has right for free moving but the institute of registration is violating our rights I how I can see the rights of foreigners too. Maybe you should use service of some websites which can make you Thai visa. But, how I know you will be should to send your passport by post, I think it's not good.

I'm wondering if anyone can comment further on FarangBuddha's post. I have contacted the consulate in Petersburg and they cannot give me a visa as I am currently registered in Moscow, 500 kilometers or so away (long story).

In any case, it would be far more convenient for me to just fly to Thailand as FB suggested, then apply for a visa in Penang after arriving there. Would I run into any issues applying for a 30 or 60 day visa in Penang?

Thank you for all your help. You guys are all great.

Spacebo Dima, I agree, it's an issue here in Russia.

Can anyone comment on whether the info FarangBuddha provided is accurate? Will I run into any problems if I go in without a visa and apply for a visa via a trip to Penang or elsewhere?

Thanks

I can say this much. If you arrive at the airport in Russia with no visa and a return ticket back to Russia within 30 days you should be boarded. When you arrive in Thailand, you will get a 30 day stamp. Then, yes, you can later go to Penang, Kuala Lumpur, or Vientienne Laos to get a 60 day stay tourist visa. Other local countries would not be so advisable such as Singapore, Cambodia, or Vietnam. The one detail perhaps important which I can't address is the current policies in Malaysia and Laos on showing an air itinerary leaving Thailand upon application for the visa (required or not). There are threads about that you can search for here, it's a common question, or you can hope you will get a recent report here. Between KL and Penang, I would suggest Penang for touristic interest (and eating) purposes.

Edited by Jingthing

The OP states 2 or 3 month trip so do not believe there is any return ticket within 30 days and that could mean not being allowed to board aircraft without some form of onward travel ticket within the 30 days allowed by a visa exempt entry. Once in the area is should not be any issue getting a tourist visa with a short trip out to cover 60+30 more days.

The OP states 2 or 3 month trip so do not believe there is any return ticket within 30 days and that could mean not being allowed to board aircraft without some form of onward travel ticket within the 30 days allowed by a visa exempt entry. Once in the area is should not be any issue getting a tourist visa with a short trip out to cover 60+30 more days.

The OP in Post 10 implies that he will indeed be carrying a return ticket within 30 days. Something to do with the charter company's pricing. It sounds weird to me too.

Edited by Jingthing

The OP in Post 10 implies that he will indeed be carrying a return ticket within 30 days. Something to do with the charter company's pricing. It sounds weird to me too.

I'm actually not going to bother with the charter, as I found a cheap ticket via Aeroflot. I will also purchase an outgoing ticket to Penang so that I won't have a hassle at the airport.

What's wrong with fed-exing his visa application to the Moscow RTE/Consulate? Taco, curious if your visa was free or did you have to pay a visa fee?

I'm planning on leaving next week, so I'm not that enthused about waiting on the embassy here. It sounds like Penang will be an interesting side trip anyway, so as long as I can do that I'd rather go that route than deal with Moscow.

I'm actually not going to bother with the charter, as I found a cheap ticket via Aeroflot. I will also purchase an outgoing ticket to Penang so that I won't have a hassle at the airport.

Great. There is no logical reason why that shouldn't work. Let us know if it doesn't, ha ha ...

What's wrong with fed-exing his visa application to the Moscow RTE/Consulate? Taco, curious if your visa was free or did you have to pay a visa fee?

I'm planning on leaving next week, so I'm not that enthused about waiting on the embassy here. It sounds like Penang will be an interesting side trip anyway, so as long as I can do that I'd rather go that route than deal with Moscow.

I had to do exactly what you are doing because of time constraints last year coming from LAX. I don't know about Aeroflot but China-air was fine with my e-ticket receipt as proof of onward travel. Each airline is different and you may want to check with both Aeroflot and the charter to see if this is an issue in that regard. You should be fine as long as your passport has at least 6 months before expiration.

Edited by dananderson

• 2 weeks later...

In case anyone is interested, I'm past security inside the Moscow airport. I bought a one-way ticket and prepared fake ticket to Penang 3 weeks from today by printing the preliminary itinerary from Expedia. This worked like a charm. No one blinked or made a single comment regarding a return/ongoing travel ticket. It may not work as smoothly in other countries, but in Russia it worked fine.

...I bought a one-way ticket and prepared fake ticket to Penang 3 weeks from today by printing the preliminary itinerary from Expedia. This worked like a charm...

I'm not sure what you mean when your say you "prepared fake ticket to Penang". If you showed the check-in staff at the airport the printout of your itinerary without pretending or claiming that it was anything else you did not falsify (fake) any document and if the airline staff was happy with that document and gave you your boarding pass that is up to them. While the information the IATA makes available to airlines indicates the requirement of proof of onward travel for passengers without a visa it is every airline's choice whether or not to enforce this requirement and there have been many posts from members saying they were able to board without being asked such proof and some posts stating that they had to supply it in order to be allowed to fly.

If you showed the check-in staff at the airport the printout of your itinerary without pretending or claiming that it was anything else you did not falsify (fake) any document and if the airline staff was happy with that document and gave you your boarding pass that is up to them.

*writing from a holding cell in the Moscow airport after the staff intercepted my message -- just kidding :) *

Semantics aside, presenting them with an itinerary was a viable option for me. It will depend on how people perceive risk and what country they try this in, but I just mentioned it for anyone who might be facing a similar issue. I'm now happily in Phuket, having traveled here on a one way ticket and a small bit of deception, even if in my mind only, that may or may not have been an issue for airport personnel in Russia.

Anyway, I wish to thank the board once again for all their advice. It led to a smooth border crossing and what looks to be so far as a wonderful time in what has so far presented itself as a wonderful country.

Edited by ddharder