Power-Seekers, Not Bad Govt, Prompt Rallies, Say Thai Polls

webfact

Power-seekers, not bad govt, prompt rallies, say polls

By The Nation

A large number of people believe vested interests and a struggle for power are behind anti-government rallies - rather than government mismanagement or shortfalls, according to an Abac poll result released yesterday.

The survey was conducted among 2,167 respondents from March 5 in Bangkok and nearby provinces.

Of the total, 72.1 per cent believed protesters staged rallies in response to the government's mistakes and failures; while 85.7 per cent said they believed a power struggle and vested interests, including political bargaining, were behind the anti-government protests.

When it came to protests, 21.8 per cent believed protesters staged rallies in a democratic manner, while 63.1 per cent wished they would follow democratic methods in exercising their rightful protests.

Asked if they were satisfied with police handling of protesters during rallies, 51.3 per cent said they were satisfied to most satisfied; 28.5 per cent said they were moderately satisfied; and 20.2 per cent said they were least to not satisfied. Furthermore 65.5 per cent of respondents said they had a clear understanding of how police carried out their duty during rallies; 21 per cent said they had a moderate understanding; and 13.5 per cent said they had little or no understanding.

Of the total, 80 per cent agreed with having a specific law to deal with rallies; 85.8 per cent wanted legal reform to deal with rallies; and 78.5 per cent agreed with having a government agency to directly handle protesters and rallies.

Abac poll director Noppadon Kannikar said he believed rally leaders had successfully mobilised a sizeable number of protesters to hit the streets and bargain with the government. If they rallied to check government, reduce corruption and strengthen good governance, it would be help the country to achieve strong democracy.

However if protesters staged rallies in the hope of changing government, their work would be politically motivated and protesters would be used by politicians in their power struggle.

If these rally groups were able to interfere and pressure the government in its administration, their dominance over government would bring about more rallies and the vicious cycle would never end.

Noppadon added the police force, which is supposed to carry out its duty to protect public safety, would not be able to do its job efficiently because it would be used instead to control crowds.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2011-03-07

Of the total, 72.1 per cent believed protesters staged rallies in response to the government's mistakes and failures; while 85.7 per cent said they believed a power struggle and vested interests, including political bargaining, were behind the anti-government protests.

Anybody who can figure out what this line means, please let me know.

So was it the government's mistakes or a power struggle and vested interests who are the primary cause of political rallies?

I mean really. An English language newspaper should at least write in coherent English.

So was it the government's mistakes or a power struggle and vested interests who are the primary cause of political rallies?

I mean really. An English language newspaper should at least write in coherent English.

I am having trouble understanding the whole thing. There is a total lack of cohesion there.

I am having trouble understanding the whole thing. There is a total lack of cohesion there.

This lack of cohesion reflects exactly the minds of the electorate - what they desire and how they vote or not vote.

The report is not very coherent and I wondered how coherent the poll itself was. However, I suspect the 72.5/85.7 thing means that people think both motives are involved - genuine concerns manipulated by, or possibly in cooperation with, behind the scenes power struggles. If that's the case they wouldn't be any different from rallies and demonstrations in the rest of the world.

Surely percentage is worked from 100%..... 72.1% + 85.7% = 157.8% Hmmm the Maths sure don`t work..

Power is always the issue. Only the worst kind of people gravitate to government because they need the power to satiate their sociopathic nature. Well adjusted and well meaning people do not go after such positions because they are not willing to sell their souls as are the corrupt demons we inevitably end up with. The people as a rule are either too stupid or apathetic so these loud mouths use the force of their personality to overwhelm the weak minds of the masses. They are all the same. Until the masses evolve past the reasoning ability of ants, and develop a collective "pair" it will always be the case. We need to stop presuming that people who want power are "good" because they're not. They will abuse it if the chance arises 100% of the time. History bears this out over the entire time of human existence. This is the sad state of human affairs in a nutshell.

Power is always the issue. Only the worst kind of people gravitate to government because they need the power to satiate their sociopathic nature. Well adjusted and well meaning people do not go after such positions because they are not willing to sell their souls as are the corrupt demons we inevitably end up with. The people as a rule are either too stupid or apathetic so these loud mouths use the force of their personality to overwhelm the weak minds of the masses. They are all the same. Until the masses evolve past the reasoning ability of ants, and develop a collective "pair" it will always be the case. We need to stop presuming that people who want power are "good" because they're not. They will abuse it if the chance arises 100% of the time. History bears this out over the entire time of human existence. This is the sad state of human affairs in a nutshell.

Sadly, you're largely right about the kind of people that seek power and the way they use it when they get it. That's why there have to be checks and balances and controls on the exercise of power by manic and often charismatic individuals. These same constraints can get in the way of helpful policy implementation, too, but it seems the greater need is to guard the guardians.

In Thailand the judiciary plays that role, though it failed in the Thaksin assets concealments case in 2001, unleashing uninhibited exercise of money-power, and again in 2010 when it allowed the case against the Democrats (for illegal donations) to lapse.

Use of the judiciary alone to control political office-holders' venality and aggrandisement is a dangerous course of action, however, as eventually, in an essentially venal political culture, everyone who counts is going to get banned and the development of any stable political parties will become impossible. To make it worse, the legal guardians (the judiciary) appear to be equally as susceptible to venality as everyone else.

Surely percentage is worked from 100%..... 72.1% + 85.7% = 157.8% Hmmm the Maths sure don`t work..

Probably said to tick which of the following you believe is the main reason behind the rallies - Tick more than one if applicable - which is why the results are more than 100%, :jap:

Quote - Noppadon added the police force, which is supposed to carry out its duty to protect public safety, would not be able to do its job efficiently because it would be used instead to control crowds.

The police will always find an excuse. I muse that maybe the word 'efficiency' doesn't appear in any Thai dictionary, I note that Noppadon didn't mention law enforcement. Best let sleeping dogs lie, eh?

Quote - Noppadon added the police force, which is supposed to carry out its duty to protect public safety, would not be able to do its job efficiently because it would be used instead to control crowds.

The police will always find an excuse.

I muse that maybe the word 'efficiency' doesn't appear in any Thai dictionary
, I note that Noppadon didn't mention law enforcement. Best let sleeping dogs lie, eh?

ประสิทธิภาพ (bprasithipaap) = efficiency