Even Today, We Receive Threats: Daughter Of Missing Thai Lawyer Somchai

webfact

EXCLUSIVE INTERVIEW

Even today, we receive threats: daughter of lawyer Somchai

By Pravit Rojanaphruk

The Nation

30150496-01.JPG

Friday marks seven years since human rights lawyer Somchai Neelapaijit, who assisted clients from the restive deep South in cases of alleged state abuse, went missing. Police officers were suspected of involvement in the forced disappearance.

The Nation's Pravit Rojanaphruk talks to Somchai\'s daughter Pratabjit Neelapaijit, 28, now a human rights activist dealing with the deep South and forced disappearances, about her late father's legal case, how the incident affected her and the trouble in the region. Excerpts.

How has your father's case been going and are you hopeful that justice will be served?

I used to have high expectations as this is the first case of forced disappearance taken up by the court. However, a lot of evidence that could be used by the court was dismissed, such as telephone records [of the alleged abductors and her father]. The Appeals Court has also deferred reading out the verdict three times now because the defendant has not shown up and is claimed to have gone missing as a result of the floods.

We are very concerned that sophisticated tactics are being employed. Pol Maj-General Ngern Thongsuk, who used to work at the Crime Suppression Division, is the only defendant with witnesses [implicating him]. Now, he has gone missing and has legally become a missing person. There's an attempt to throw the case out of court and I heard from the Department of Special Investigation (DSI) that the defendant may now be hiding in a neighbouring country. One of the key witnesses, Abdullah Abukoree, an ex-client of my father who was given protection by the police but decided to return home because he could not bear living within the four walls of the safe house, also went missing. On December 11, 2009, his wife reported a gunshot in front of their house and a motorcyclist was seen when her husband disappeared.

How has your life changed as a result of your father's disappearance?

A lot, really a lot. We used to be an ordinary family. Even today, we receive threats. Some two to three months ago, we kept receiving mysterious calls without anyone speaking at the other end of the line. We reported it to the DSI and they told us it came from one Internet cafe. Late last year, a big cow's bone was found in front of our house in the morning.

The case is clearly related to government officials and we still hope they will be punished, however. One of the accused police officers, Phanuphong Pinpara, is still active in his job and nearly received a police award for outstanding service after my father went missing.

Do you think the culture of impunity is deep-rooted in Thai society?

It's definitely a problem. This is due to the weakness of the rule of law. Powerful groups such as the military and police do not operate within the democratic framework. Those who were [involved in killings and forced disappearances] from October 14, 1973 to October 6, 1976 were never brought to justice. In foreign countries, forced disappearance is a crime against humanity but Thai law doesn't even recognise it as a crime.

The violence in the deep South doesn't look as if it will end anytime soon. Why do you think this is the case?

The problem is with the use of force and power being monopolised by the army. The government's Southern Border Province Administration Centre hardly has any role. I think this is the main problem. The power of the military should not be in the hands of the military alone. We also need to hold dialogue and deliberation.

What about the mainstream media's coverage of the trouble in the deep South?

Not all reporters can be deployed on the field so the question remains whether journalists are too reliant on sources from the police and the Army. They should crosscheck their information with others.

Sometimes, local villagers say that what really took place differs from what the media reported. It's easy to judge something as right or wrong, or whether someone deserves to die or not, but this leads to the widening of the gap between others and the villagers.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2011-03-10

Related threads with background information:

Thaksin Aide Link To Kidnap Of Somchai, Missing Lawyer

http://www.thaivisa....nap-of-somchai/

Thai PM Thaksin Admits Government Officials Murdered Human Rights Lawyer

http://www.thaivisa....-rights-lawyer/

I guess her father was non-muslim...But she is muslim.

First sentence of second link:

Thai Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra says a missing Muslim human rights lawyer has been killed by government officials.

You have to wonder why after several years in office the current government chooses to do nothing about it. It might be related to the facts like

"The problem is with the use of force and power being monopolized by the army."

Cases like this are hard because the civil servants are deeply involved not necessarily the acting government. If you are a lawyer for a group of people that are mostly involved in acts of terrorism which have killed many monks, teachers, and government officials you are going to be a target of a long list of people.

Here is the current background you need to be concerned with today - this government don't care what happened ether.

You have to wonder why after several years in office the current government chooses to do nothing about it.

Here is the current background you need to be concerned with today - this government don't care what happened ether.

Amongst the contradictory reality to that assessment comes this from just last month. Actually, it is not up to to the government to "chose to do nothing about it" in that the reality emanates from delays by the courts, not the government :

Court Postpones Verdict in Case Involving Missing Muslim Civil Rights Lawyer

The Criminal Court has postponed the reading of a verdict from the Appeals Court in a case involving a Muslim civil rights lawyer who went missing in 2004 after petitioning over police abusing southern insurgent suspects.

The Criminal Court postponed the reading of the Appeals Court's verdict in the case involving the disappearance of the chairman of Thailand's Muslim Lawyers Association, Somchai Neelapaijit, who filed lawsuits over the alleged police torture of insurgent suspects in the southern provinces during the government of Thaksin Shinawatra, in 2004.

The public prosecutor, Somchai's wife and four children, brought the case against Police Major Ngern Thongsuk and five other men, who were charged with coercion and robbery.

- Tan Network 2011-02-07

Continues:

Edited by Buchholz

Related threads with background information:

Thaksin Aide Link To Kidnap Of Somchai, Missing Lawyer

Thai PM Thaksin Admits Government Officials Murdered Human Rights Lawyer

PM at that time, Mr. T(h)aksin announced that he knew who the perpetrators of murder are. PM procedure is to be applauded. I just wonder, the question is how is this fact, along with all other accusations against him was the reason he was ousted. just wondering.

But, as he admitted the government officers are the killers, the question is why the courts did not react after his statement, to arrest these persons. It remains to be speculated and to guess who stopped arresting or who made court to be slow.

Following links above, i saw that nowadays the court is processing the case and it is nice.

But why missing person ONLY is charged? What happened with those 4(as PM T. said) or 5 - as link said?

You have to wonder why after several years in office the current government chooses to do nothing about it.

Amongst the contradictory reality to that assessment comes this from just last month. Actually, it is not up to to the government to "chose to do nothing about it" in that the reality emanates from delays by the courts, not the government :

The Criminal Court has postponed the reading of a verdict from the Appeals Court in a case involving a Muslim civil rights lawyer who went missing in 2004 after petitioning over police abusing southern insurgent suspects.

The Criminal Court postponed the reading of the Appeals Court's verdict in the case involving the disappearance of the chairman of Thailand's Muslim Lawyers Association, Somchai Neelapaijit, who filed lawsuits over the alleged police torture of insurgent suspects in the southern provinces during the government of Thaksin Shinawatra, in 2004.

The public prosecutor, Somchai's wife and four children, brought the case against Police Major Ngern Thongsuk and five other men, who were charged with coercion and robbery.

- Tan Network 2011-02-07

Continues:

http://www.thaivisa....ost__p__4202416

Please read the OP again there is still lots that is the responsibility of the current government here (Treats are not the courts area) and some persons related to the issue are still in service under this government.

The family lives in a state of fear and the list of people that might want to harm them is still out there.

You would have this government not bother to be responsible for anything. The current problem facing the family is this government cares little about them because it no longer serves its purpose politically.

You seem to be over sensitive to any statement which might make Mark in a poor light and you like grinding axes.

I note you are selective in the fact that you cut out more then half my post - In a manner that can only be looked upon as editing my post and its meaning for your own purposes. I ask a mod to review that one

Here is my post with the missing underlined:

"You have to wonder why after several years in office the current government chooses to do nothing about it. It might be related to the facts like

Cases like this are hard because the civil servants are deeply involved not necessarily the acting government. If you are a lawyer for a group of people that are mostly involved in acts of terrorism which have killed many monks, teachers, and government officials you are going to be a target of a long list of people.

Here is the current background you need to be concerned with today - this government don't care what happened ether."

Becomes:

"You have to wonder why after several years in office the current government chooses to do nothing about it.

Here is the current background you need to be concerned with today - this government don't care what happened ether."

- Tan Network 2011-02-07

Continues:

Please read the OP again there is still lots that is the responsibility of the current government here (Treats are not the courts area) and some persons related to the issue are still in service under this government.

The family lives in a state of fear and the list of people that might want to harm them is still out there.

You would have this government not bother to be responsible for anything. The current problem facing the family is this government cares little about them because it no longer serves its purpose politically.

You seem to be over sensitive to any statement which might make Mark in a poor light and you like grinding axes.

I quoted the parts of your post that I was replying to. There's no need to quote an entire post if only responding to a part of it.

My post was to point out that the portion of the OP that deals with the unresolved case of Somchai's death is out of the government's hands, which you implied in your post was because of government choosing not to do anything about it. Given that Somchai's case is still pending and unresolved certainly makes it a "current problem".

I agree that the police need to provide them protection to deal with their other "current problem".

I'm only overly sensitive to distortions by those that seem to have an axe to grind with the government in that they assign it responsibilities that are beyond them.

Edited by Buchholz

- Tan Network 2011-02-07

Continues:

I note you are selective in the fact that you cut out more then half my post - In a manner that can only be looked upon as editing my post and its meaning for your own purposes. I ask a mod to review that one

"You have to wonder why after several years in office the current government chooses to do nothing about it. It might be related to the facts like

Becomes:

"You have to wonder why after several years in office the current government chooses to do nothing about it.

right on and right on... under the current Govt/administration there have been thousands of deaths.. It's a very difficult situation that would have required tremendously great leadership from the Govt... you can NOT have mediocre RESULTS and claim Stellar Performance... Abhisit never created the Climate the situation and other situations, like red/yellow,,, palm oil gouging,,, but he has NOT been able to CHANGE the Weather, either... so don't even keep saying he has been as a Saviour.

There will be a Coup by the end of the year, anyway. that will prove how well the Govt 'performed'

Thailand needs a miracle and there just aint any miracle workers,

Edited by yellow1red1

QUOTE(Pratabjit Neelapaijit - Somchai's daughter):"One of the accused police officers, Phanuphong Pinpara, is still active in his job and nearly received a police award for outstanding service after my father went missing."

I wonder if he's stationed in Bangkok - and if so - how can we best contact him."

- Tan Network 2011-02-07

Continues:

Becomes:

Some guys here do not act solely and exclusively as a people blinded by Mark's appearance or attractiveness.

Some guys here are acting and reasoning in the comments very brave, very courageously, defending current Government as if something in their lives depends on the survival of the PM in power.

As servants. So sad and self humiliating acting.

We could see in establishing of this government (and before the end of the Democrat's campaign) a very few foreigners.

It is very likely that some of them having job to posting here on TV, to give about their employer(dems) such biased and unrealistic comments but they do very poorly job here and should not be paid for such sloppy work as performed here.

Some guys here do not act solely and exclusively as a people blinded by Mark's appearance or attractiveness.

Some guys here are acting and reasoning in the comments very brave, very courageously, defending current Government as if something in their lives depends on the survival of the PM in power.

We could see in establishing of this government (and before the end of the Democrat's campaign) a very few foreigners.

It is very likely that some of them having job to posting here on TV, to give about their employer(dems) such biased and unrealistic comments but they do very poorly job here and should not be paid for such sloppy work as performed here.

So, if all these posters you are saying that are paid to post are still here after elections, will you give up on your accusations?

- Tan Network 2011-02-07

Continues:

I quoted the parts of your post that I was replying to. There's no need to quote an entire post if only responding to a part of it.

My post was to point out that the portion of the OP that deals with the unresolved case of Somchai's death is out of the government's hands, which you implied in your post was because of government choosing not to do anything about it. Given that Somchai's case is still pending and unresolved certainly makes it a "current problem".

I agree that the police need to provide them protection to deal with their other "current problem".

I'm only overly sensitive to distortions by those that seem to have an axe to grind with the government in that they assign it responsibilities that are beyond them.

Bucholz, you said:"I quoted the parts of your post that I was replying to. There's no need to quote an entire post if only responding to a part of it." <_<

Yes Bucholz, you are doing it unintentionally, but what you might to do, how you might sound doing it is that you are making words out of context so to readers you could suggest different understanding of OP.

There IS a need you quote a WHOLE post when you reply and when you reply you have EASY way, to bold some points or to make be other colour-if you are replying on something particular.

It is easier way than to delete all but words what you are going to reply.

That way as you are doing, might lead readers on wrong conclusions and that way(unintentionally- i believe) you might manipulate readers of OP.

That is a very old trick in creating public opinion, in journalism.

Try in future to copy all OP when you reply because it is easier to do.

A friendly advise and my try you avoid making confusion here.

Remember Bucholz that not all of us following the thread here from the beginning so your way(tactic?) guide them to misunderstand OP.

So, if all these posters you are saying that are paid to post are still here after elections, will you give up on your accusations?

I am not accusing nobody by name and that's well enough fair. But as i was a member of propaganda team, in political campaign in my country-i know what i am talking about. I am sure you know Whybother, that too. it is "normal" thing and routine in political struggles.

Will i stop? It depends on many things but most of my feel of satisfaction by next government. If their acting making difficulties to my life in Thailand and depends on strength of my viewpoints and my free time. :rolleyes:

I am not accusing nobody by name and that's well enough fair. But as i was a member of propaganda team, in political campaign in my country-i know what i am talking about. I am sure you know Whybother, that too. it is "normal" thing and routine in political struggles.

Will i stop? It depends on many things but most of my feel of satisfaction by next government. If their acting making difficulties to my life in Thailand and depends on strength of my viewpoints and my free time. :rolleyes:

You are not accusing anyone by name, you are just implying that it's the anti-red shirt posters.

Bucholz, you said:"I quoted the parts of your post that I was replying to. There's no need to quote an entire post if only responding to a part of it." <_<

Yes Bucholz, you are doing it unintentionally, but what you might to do, how you might sound doing it is that you are making words out of context so to readers you could suggest different understanding of OP.

There IS a need you quote a WHOLE post when you reply and when you reply you have EASY way, to bold some points or to make be other colour-if you are replying on something particular.

You got your forum guidelines backwards.

1. There is no need nor requirement to quote a whole post when a reply is made to it.

2. Changing the color of a quote when replying is specifically against the rules.

Try in future to copy all OP when you reply because it is easier to do.

A friendly advise and my try you avoid making confusion here.

Remember Bucholz that not all of us following the thread here from the beginning so your way(tactic?) guide them to misunderstand OP.

Thanks for the advice, but I'll stick to what I've always done which is posting by following the forum rules and guidelines.

If the rules change, then I would be all to happy to change with them.

and while on the topic of the forum rules and guidelines, you may wish to pay attention to the repeated warnings of the moderators and stop with your accusations :

Removed a post (and responses) that claimed others were paid to post. If you have any actual evidence please forward it to support. If it's just a lame debating tactic, further references like that may find you without posting rights.

Thanks for the advice, but I'll stick to what I've always done which is posting by following the forum rules and guidelines.

You will be pleased/shocked/flabbergasted (please delete which words don't apply) to hear that I think your interpretation is completely correct.

My only comment is that if not quoting a whole post and someone makes a persuasive case that the deleted part has some relevance, one should be prepared to acknowledge that (though obviously in deleting part of the post one has does one's best to ensure that the quoted part doesn't become distorted)

You might explain forum policy to one of your ideological mates who never fails to complain when I cut his posts down when quoting.

It always makes me laugh to read about these "paid to post" accusations.As though any Thai politician cares one way or another what we say.Beware of the time when being member of the forum starts to swallow up too much of one's life - it can have a shattering effect on one's judgement.

I am hoping that you were not entirely straight faced when you made these comments!

Acquittal of missing defendant for kidnapping missing rights lawyer

The Appeals Court on Friday ruled to acquit Police Major Ngern Thongsuk on kidnapping charges related to the unexplained disappearance of human rights lawyer Somchai Neelaphaijit.

Somchai was reported missing by his family in 2003.

He was last seen being forced into a vehicle by Ngern and other undercover policemen.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2011-03-11

Appeals Court Acquits Policeman for Somchai Neelapaijit's Disappearance

The Appeals Court has acquitted a police officer convicted for the disappearance of human rights lawyer Somchai Neelapaijit.

The court cited that prosecution witnesses and evidence were inconsistent.

tanlogo.jpg

-- Tan Network 2011-03-11

footer_n.gif

You are not accusing anyone by name, you are just implying that it's the anti-red shirt posters.

No, i am not.

You know what is silliest thing here? To be anti-red or anti-yellow. I am aside of any colour. I said some affirmative things about this Government and PM.(not much but it's not my fault) You could see in my posts that.

I said also a negative things for time when Mr. Somchai was PM. His decisions about visa regime for foreigners.

So don't even try to input such things to me that i am for reds.

I am against blindness on any coulour supporters here.

It always makes me laugh to read about these "paid to post" accusations.As though any Thai politician cares one way or another what we say.Beware of the time when being member of the forum starts to swallow up too much of one's life - it can have a shattering effect on one's judgement.

Agree with you. Even when it is obvious that it was not stated in OP, some one will always pop up with paranoid thoughts about paid for posters here. That's why i am trying to explain to some people here we have no need to be pro-reds or pro-yellows here. As you said no ANY Thai politician care what we think about and in dail life, we have a million things as proofs that they don't care for us at all. So, why should we be so hard about be on ANY of those sides?

After all, they show to us that policy towards foreigners at working&living here is not change at all. Doesn't matter who is on power. So why should we be so stupid to protect any of that coloured sides???

I am hoping that you were not entirely straight faced when you made these comments!

Not straight at all. Obviously Bucholz is a clever guy but the question is why he is trying to sell to us here such "naive" explanation for his wrongdoings?