Retirement Visa

I'm American, 56, lived and taught English for hand to mouth wages in Bangkok for 10 years. Now with an inheritance, I would like to get the retirement visa.

A couple of questions:

Is retirement visa the same as long-stay visa?

The form I picked up from Immigration in Bkk. was a bit confusing. I'm not sure if they require 800,000 baht in a Thai bank AND income of 65,000 baht per month, OR only one of the above. I sure hope it's not both.

Does the bank have to be Thai owned, or can I deposit money in a foreign-owned bank with a branch in Thailand?

Thanks for any tips about this process.

800000 Baht in a Thai Bank OR 65000 Baht monthly income(from abroad),for a 1 year retirement Visa.Hope they don't change next year,but I'm not confident!

or a combination of bankings and income. Do it now, because it is likely that the present figure will be grandfathered ( ie. remain the same ) from July next year. Indications are that for new applicants, the amount will double.

When you go to Suan Plu, make sure the letter confirming your funds from the Thai bank is dated the same day as your application. Don't ask me why...... :o

The letter from the bank was always required to be current within 7 days before application or renewal, but things could have changed.