Do We (Westerners) Still Matter ?

JurgenG

Not economically or military, but culturally ?

I see young people in Thailand now turning to Seoul, Tokyo, Hong Kong .... for the new trends.

Soap opera actors, singers, people who really matter for the new generations, they are Asian, not westerners. Same for the trendy brands.

Is there really something going on ?

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It is probably due to the fact that Thais can relate more to other South East Asian cultures than with Westerners.

The same goes for us. How many of you can stomach those Thai TV dramas? That is mostly because we can`t relate with the charactors and behavior.

I beg to differ... Go to the theatre (anywhere outside the tourist hub) and a 12 cinema complex may have 4 cinemas showing a Hollywood film. Last weekend, we went to Esplanade... Of the 15 cinemas, there were 2 showing western movies. Admittedly Part 3 of the King Naresuan was out, so at least 6 cinemas were showing that, but all we could get a ticket for in a session time without waiting 2 hours was some animated kids movie. There were 3 Hollywood titles listed, but they were all rotating in the same cinema. (we couldn't even get a ticket to see King Naresuan!)

Did we ever matter in a country that's had no great western influence at all? I think that 'we' (as in westerners) have an overweening idea of our own importance.

Edited by endure

Did we ever matter in a country that's had no great western influence at all? I think that 'we' (as in westerners) have an overweening idea of our own importance.

"...overweening....."

What on earth do you mean!

"...overweening....."

he meant "our weenies are not that much bigger" :lol:

OP:

"I see young people in Thailand now turning to Seoul, Tokyo, Hong Kong .... for the new trends.

Soap opera actors, singers, people who really matter for the new generations, they are Asian, not westerners. Same for the trendy brands."

Of course they do; they're still in Asia and they understand the culture better than the one in Spain, Munich, Italy, New York or London.

Next to that, it's easier to get a visa for an Asian country than for a Western country, apart from the higher travel costs and distances.

But, at the same time they swallow western culture as much as Asian with their fascinating tools they have nowadays.

Europe and US are very close by means of Social Media and Internet.

LaoPo

Edited by LaoPo

Hollywood movies of the international blockbuster type variety still appear quite dominant here.

i always thought that it was great that the local samui cinima showed soundtrack hollywood movies and did my best to make sure my family supported the theater by going to the movies every week. The owner of the theater has now changed policy and will no longer be offering soundtrack or hollywood movies. I will not allow my children to watch most of the thai movies screening so he has lost my business and imho i dont think he cares.

"Soap opera actors, singers, people who really matter for the new generations, they are Asian, not westerners. Same for the trendy brands."

And why shouldn't they be? Thailand is in Asia.

Because "familiarity breeds contempt". That's why, after all, I like Thai people more than I do English, Germans, or most other Europeans, except Italians and Dutch.

"...overweening....."

he meant "our weenies are not that much bigger" :lol:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

"Soap opera actors, singers, people who really matter for the new generations, they are Asian, not westerners. Same for the trendy brands."

Because "familiarity breeds contempt". That's why, after all, I like Thai people more than I do English, Germans, or most other Europeans, except Italians and Dutch.

Try spending the night in a bus packed with Italians who insist to sing during the whole trip.

One or two italians, it's ok. More, it's trouble

Try spending the night in a bus packed with Italians who insist to sing during the whole trip.

One or two italians, it's ok. More, it's trouble

Depends on what they're singing. Faccetta nera? I do remember, however, being stuck on a train from London to Stirling and having a mob of soccer thugs go through the cars terrorizng everyone. And I can't count how many times I've been trapped on a German train just wishing one person had taken a bath or shower that week.

What a huge generalisation to question if ALL of western culture "matters".

Fact is the interest in Sport and particularly Football in the UK is huge and with regard to liking or disliking certain western nationalities thats a different argument. It does amaze me how some "westerners" react to someone on first meeting another "westerner" when discovering their nationality. Prejudice is rife.

I don't discriminate; I hate all of you equally :o