Print Your Circuit Boards

luther

I design and produce PCBs at work and print the PCB on a laser printer and send that to a shop that makes the negative/positive film. If this is the 'film' you are referring to I can get the information when at work Monday.

I've set up a full PCB production facility at the uni and just trained the technicians how to produce double sided boards. Saves me a lot of time doing the PCB layout with double sided. ;)

I have used over head projector film to do it, don't know if the projectors are used here but it works well with a laser printer.

You can get laser printer compatible transparency film that works ok as long as the traces are not too small and the board not too complex. Just make sure it is meant for laser printers or else you will have a melted mess on your hands. ;)

The projectors are common here, at least at the university, as they are used regularly in lectures.

There's two parts to it.

First the transparent sheet you print your pcb design on

Second the photo-sensitive material you coat your pcb with.

For the first, you can use about any transparent material your printer will accept

For the second, you can either buy pre-sensitized pcb material, or use something like this:

http://www.es.co.th/detail.asp?Prod=13800012

Alternatively you may look at 'toner transfer' as a simpler way to get things done, but it is more finicky to get right.

Dont give up hope Luther. Many years ago I bought some film in a small electronic shop on the left hand side of Chang Phueak road. A long time ago and I cannot remember the location but closer to the super highway than the Klong. They also had Ferric cloride crystals and other useful bits and pieces but not sure whether they had the aerosol photo sensitive lacquer.

Dont give up hope Luther. Many years ago I bought some film in a small electronic shop on the left hand side of Chang Phueak road. A long time ago and I cannot remember the location but closer to the super highway than the Klong. They also had Ferric cloride crystals and other useful bits and pieces but not sure whether they had the aerosol photo sensitive lacquer.

That sounds like Kitti Electronics and believe you can get all the above items there. If they don't have the photo spray-resist they can get it for you if needed. Toner transfer from a laser print and a cloths iron works but tricky as mentioned.

That sounds like Kitti Electronics and believe you can get all the above items there. If they don't have the photo spray-resist they can get it for you if needed. Toner transfer from a laser print and a cloths iron works but tricky as mentioned.

I am surprised you didnt pick me up for the 'left hand side of the road'! I should have said heading for the super highway. I did also find some in a small shop on Charoen Mueang road selling the film but its years since I have made any pcb's, those shops may no longer exist.

This thread sure brings back memories...... :whistling:

I never had good results using OHP type film. The black areas were never solid enough, whereas photographic film was always completely solid. With all the hassle and mess involved (Ferric Chloride is nasty stuff and damages/stains EVERYTHING, including stainless steel), after trying to do this in house we gave up and sent everything to a regular PCB manufacturer (even simple prototypes). I don't know if there are any in/near Chiang Mai? Electronics Assembly companies I know here all get them made in China.

Anyway, there is (or was) another electronics shop also off Chang Puek Road that might stock it. It's down the Soi immediately before the Mecure Hotel (Heading out of town). Go past the Chedi and it's about two thirds of the way along on the left. Sorry, don't recall the name.

BTW, in the extremely unlikely event anyone needs a PCB designer (or electronics design) in CM, drop me a PM - have plenty of connections in that area.

An example of one of my more complex designs - fuel cell test station controller. This one was a bit too dense to do in house so supplied the pcb file (Protel) to Kitti electronics who sends it to Bangkok. This route is slow though as they seem to always have a queue and can take a month or more for turn around.

post-566-0-01074600-1302418923_thumb.jpg

Thanks for the map and everyone's comments. I will check out Kitti. I would be surprised to find photosensitive spray, but I would think the film would be there. Then again, maybe not, maybe just pre-sensitized plates.