Respect And Disrespect

el jefe

I was out on my bikes (bicycle yesterday, motosai today) all morning into early afternoon north and south of the city. I don't mind the kids with water guns or small buckets. In fact I'll often put my arms out asking to get wet. But I'd prefer to avoid the older kids with big buckets. I wave them off. I probably motioned "no" to 30 people (mostly kids) and my request was unanimously accepted.

Last night (Monday) at about 7:30pm, I saw a well-dressed, middle-aged woman on a motosai who came upon a gang of farang -- the only other word besides "gang" that might suit them is "mob". She screamed "No! Please!" when she saw them but at least two of them slammed her with bucketfuls of water.

I told this story to a friend of mine and she said the same thing happened to her at 8:000pm. She actually got off her bike to say something to them but she said they threatened her. She was afraid that if she wasn't a woman they would have hit her.

There's a big difference between having fun and being rude, obnoxious, selfish and dangerous.

I agree and I would thank some of the guys in Loy Kroh who kindly understood and let me go when I said I needed to go to work. (yeah not all farangs are retired people or tourists on holiday), I was obviously not dressed like I was ready to play...

But the last stupid-looking guy who splashed me anyway...he already knows what I think about him.

This is songkran. Whilst I agree that people shouldn't go too far, and also respect those clearly in work clothes etc, I do think that these things are inevitable. You're basically riding through a party. If you don't want to get wet, wear a rain poncho etc etc. Waving no is not always going to work! It's no surprise.

This is songkran.

Indeed, and every year there is a thread on Thai Visa about the bad behaviour of a few Farangs getting everyone else a bad name....... Just like the Rain thread at the start of rainy season, and the polution thread (thankfully avoided this year :huh: )at the first sign of smog, the height of the Mae Ping thread in August..... These things come to pass :mellow: .

Unfortunately, many Farangs come here on holiday and leave their brains at home. Would like to see how long they'd last throwing buckets of water at people travelling to work anywhere lese in the world :whistling:

It's Songkran, so we have to be realistic and expect that there is some idiot out there who is going to use this excuse to behave badly and soak someone who is on their way to work / dinner etc and doesn't want to be soaked.

It's blatantly obvious who the 'non participators' are - Unfortunately its also blatantly obvious that some are just so stupid and selfish that they just don't get it and say "It's Songkran, if you don't wish to get wet, don't leave your house"......

Let's face it - This holiday is Carte Blanche for a many to act like a dick-head !

I think the westerners that start early are usually tourists that are taking their cues from other Thais who also start early. I saw more Thai throwing water early this year then I did westerners.

You can't blame the tourists for not knowing any better.

It's Songkran, so we have to be realistic and expect that there is some idiot out there who is going to use this excuse to behave badly and soak someone who is on their way to work / dinner etc and doesn't want to be soaked.

It's blatantly obvious who the 'non participators' are - Unfortunately its also blatantly obvious that some are just so stupid and selfish that they just don't get it and say "It's Songkran, if you don't wish to get wet, don't leave your house"......

Let's face it - This holiday is Carte Blanche for a many to act like a dick-head !

yes it is sad that some people with over - enthusiasm try to "join in:" without realising that their actions detract from the simplicity and real culture behind Songcran.. I welcome the fun and joviality behind this tradition...but it can also have adverse effects to motorcyclists who attempt to avoid the water throwing and swerve away , sadly into traffic that is behind them which has a somewhat devastating affects to all concerned

Edited by Raindancer

I think the westerners that start early are usually tourists that are taking their cues from other Thais who also start early. I saw more Thai throwing water early this year then I did westerners.

You can't blame the tourists for not knowing any better.

Good point. The farang's around the moat or on Loi Kroh are getting their water from greedy bars that have set up water stations (with ice) early for this very purpose. If the bars didn't supply the water early and encourage people to park themselves there, I'm sure that the farang's would wait a bit longer. If the water is being drawn from the moat it is usually a Thai that is doing it, though I'm sure some farang's might.

<br />
<br /><b>I think the westerners that start early are usually tourists that are taking their cues from other Thais</b> <b>who also start early</b>. I saw more Thai throwing water early this year then I did westerners.<br />You can't blame the tourists for not knowing any better.<br />
<br /><br /><br />Good point. The farang's around the moat or on Loi Kroh are getting their water from greedy bars that have set up water stations (with ice) early for this very purpose. If the bars didn't supply the water early and encourage people to park themselves there, I'm sure that the farang's would wait a bit longer. If the water is being drawn from the moat it is usually a Thai that is doing it, though I'm sure some farang's might. <br /><br /><br />
<br /><br /><br />

Two other downsides for the bar brigade:

For the customer: if the bar is splashing OUT, all the passers by will splash IN. You are in the firing line, like it or not.

For the bar owner: these people are NOT spending money, they are simply increasing your water bill - and your electricity bill if the water is pumped.

Time for many to re-think, methinks!

it isn't so much starting early that annoys me as not knowing when to stop. first time i came to songkran i was told you stop at 6pm to allow people to go out for dinner etc without getting soaked. last night people were obviously being soaked by selfish idiots as late as 8pm when it's a) dark, b] evening and c) not sunny to dry you off like it was in the day.

Edited by StevieH

For every "tourist" who come to CM to join in the chaos ,how many stay away to avoid it ? One man surveys are never reliable but we have some friends who have changed their travel plans to avoid CM and Thailand altogether,on the advice I might add, of their travel agent.I can't be sure but the length of Songkran activities seems to have blown out considerably.

Well I spent most of the day around the moat it was quite fun . Again I have to agree with all of you it was the farrangs that were way out of control . The thais, even the young kids were very polite and didnt bust you in the eyes with the squirt guns .... I dont mind being nailed by anyone if Im out Im fair game even on the scooter , seems the kids and thai people know to aim at your legs not your face . Needless to say a few tourists got a good southern american cussing today ..... Back home on my bike they would have had marbles thrown back at them ...............

Took a cruise around the moat today, got doused at least 10 times. It's on!

You know, after I get a certain amount wet, I don't really care how much more wet I get. I love this celebration (of what, no one knows). I'm happy to get soaked for the cause. I wish every society had such mechanisms for releasing pent up non-productive energy.

Edited by lannarebirth

For every "tourist" who come to CM to join in the chaos ,how many stay away to avoid it ? One man surveys are never reliable but we have some friends who have changed their travel plans to avoid CM and Thailand altogether,on the advice I might add, of their travel agent.I can't be sure but the length of Songkran activities seems to have blown out considerably.

Well that's just doiwn to an ignorant agent IMHO. If the holiday makers do not like the 3 days of water fights in the centre of towm, them use those 3 days for site seeing outside of town. Its like cancelling your holiday to Rio because of the Madi Gras (big but not for very long - easily avoided by going elsewhere).

I would say the answer to your question is a tiny fraction - more come for it than would stay away because of it (those that have done it before and hate it or have researched it and are worried would simple come another week surely! - and those that don't know would be none the wiser).

Next year I might hang around for Songkran. I know some liquids that won't harm a watergun but WILL harm people's skin. .. and possibly clothes. It might be fun to go "hunting" the thugs who don't like to play fair. I've always enjoyed a good fight.

Every time I watch it, I am astounded at how pleasant, fun and tolerant most of the Thais are. Thailand really is amazing sometimes. :)

I guess you shut up shop - damp books???

That, plus I hate to deprive the Thai staff of playing for a few days. It is only once a year.

Cartoon_Two_Friends_in_a_Water_Fight_with_a_Hose_110103-138455-234042.jpg

Every time I watch it, I am astounded at how pleasant, fun and tolerant most of the Thais are. Thailand really is amazing sometimes. :)

I guess you shut up shop - damp books???

That, plus I hate to deprive the Thai staff of playing for a few days. It is only once a year.

Cartoon_Two_Friends_in_a_Water_Fight_with_a_Hose_110103-138455-234042.jpg

Wow UG. You let out your staff only once a year. Man, that's mean ;)

It started raining on my way home from the gym this morning and a Thai woman I did not know offered me an umbrella although I was already absolutely soaked.

All along the way Thais were under cover hiding from the rain even though they were already really wet from "playing" Songkran. :D

Edited by Ulysses G.

Hmm... I had good really memories playing at Songkran with kids and Thai family, but also this makes me remember this time I was walking at 11PM on the street, going to have a drink, well dressed after a water-fighting day. I came across a foreigner couple, walking back home I presume, and the girl aimed at me and shoot ... but no more water ... ;-)

I smiled as I was thinking she was joking and trying to make me scared ... but, suddenly, rage in the eyes, she called her boyfriend and yelled " Get him get him" ... he ran back to her just to shoot a last prey ... Pathetic ...

Last night, I went to have a drink at a pub, center city ... 6 young guys were there, smoking over the pool and way out the smoking area ... sad to see this, as they should be the "educated people" showing "developing countries" how to behave... Funny superior race, they will never understand respect and simplicity. Just feel sad for them.

Everyone,enjoy your Songkran, inside or outside ;-)

Agreed! The tourists go a bit overboard and I generally don't enjoy being around them during Songkran but the Thais have a great time without getting too carried away. Sometimes Thai kids get started a bit early but they're kids on a school holiday during a giant water fight... who could blame them?

I don't get much pleasure out of spraying others but love the atmosphere and certainly don't mind getting doused during the peak of the hot season (though the rain and cool is a bit of a bummer this year).

I agree. From the safety of my balcony I spent an hour yesterday watching three young Thai children trying to aim their little buckets of water - mostly doing a 360 spin and soaking each other and their parents rather than the intended victims. I also saw the parents reprimand one of them for aiming at a pick up truck, which may have had something in the tray that wouldn't appreciate water, and then later for aiming for a small ambulance (although it wasn't in a hurry with lights and sirens going). This is what it should be about, a great time for the children and adults (who's aim wasn't much better than the childrens'). It's fun, until people who should be old enough to know better throw big buckets of water at motorbikes or cyclists, or don't stop when it gets dark. But watching those little ones yesterday really amused me, and reminded me what it SHOULD be like.